IGNORED

M is for Mama 7: Failing at Coronavirus

Coconut Flan

Replying to myself with a local anecdote. I live in East TX also. Our next door neighbors have registered purebred pitbulls. They bred them hoping to make a profit on the puppies. They were 8 weeks old right when covid hit full force in March. They ended up having to practically give them away at less than 1/4 of their original asking price.  They lost a LOT of money. 

East Texas is freaking flooded with dogs. All the shelters and rescues are always full to bursting...because of idiots like Braggie who think it will be fun to have puppies then dump them at the shelter when they get tired of feeding and cleaning up after 6+ dogs. GRRR. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 4

I don’t know anything about a dog’s reproductive cycle, but wouldn’t Abbie have to bring her female dog to a male dog in order to breed her (or bring a male dog to her house)? How often are female dogs’ in heat? Do people have doggie hookups? And don’t most people fix their pets nowadays? This seems like this was a *planned* event. And if so, knowing Abbie isn’t  the spontaneous type, she wanted her dog to have puppies which I believe is for financial reasons only. Otherwise, she would have fixed her dog. 

• Upvote 6

Oh Abbie dear, is your kennel registered with the AKC which requires inspections and such to insure the health and well being of the pups? Didn't think so.

• Upvote 10

52 minutes ago, Zommom said:

I don’t know anything about a dog’s reproductive cycle, but wouldn’t Abbie have to bring her female dog to a male dog in order to breed her (or bring a male dog to her house)? How often are female dogs’ in heat? Do people have doggie hookups? And don’t most people fix their pets nowadays? This seems like this was a *planned* event. And if so, knowing Abbie isn’t  the spontaneous type, she wanted her dog to have puppies which I believe is for financial reasons only. Otherwise, she would have fixed her dog. 

I think she tried to bring a stud to her dog last year but Ruby was a little young for it. And IIRC, she was interesting in breeding for money. Or maybe I just assumed that part. Either way Abbie and Ruby are a couple of pregnant bitches. Good luck, Ruby.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Braggie definitely wants the instagram attention cute new puppies would bring. I am sure that eventually she will say it’s not about making money (yeah right). She will say that Ruby is such a wonderful dog and she wanted to teach her children about doggy reproduction. They will learn so much about doggies giving birth! She homeschools you know! Everything is a teachable moment! Even bringing more dogs into the world while shelters are packed full already. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

17 hours ago, SuperNova said:So Abbie's dog is pregnant. Wasn't she trying to breed her last year? Abbie isn't mentally stable enough to handle her children, new twin babies, and train puppies. What a shitshow.

But everything is fine because they're "bathed in specific prayer". 

Ohh fuckin hell. As I’ve said before, I am pro responsible breeder, but responsible breeder involves health testing to the breed (or breeds) of both parents, titling both parents in either sport or show, and having buyer contracts for potential buyers (yes buyers, because if you buy a puppy from a breeder it sign adoption, and nothing is wrong withy buying a puppy of this from a good source). And extensive background and reference checks for buyers, 

Abby is the last person who should have puppies ever, she is the epitome of a backyard Breeder, and is thus, directly contributing to the over population of dogs on this planet.

11 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Oh Abbie dear, is your kennel registered with the AKC which requires inspections and such to insure the health and well being of the pups? Didn't think so.

Okay so here’s the thing, a LOT of backyard breeders are “AKC registered” . AKC registration doesn’t mean shit in this day and age, to be a truly reputable breeder you need titles and health testing appropriate for the breed (in the cases of mutts, aka “doodles” they need both parent breed health testing) and just extensive buyer contracts, none of which is regulated by the AKC, the AKC has relatively little oversight when it comes to breeders and it’s stupidly easy to fake papers 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

Abbie is giving me Jill vibes, more and more. This woman loves attention and pampering. I would love to be a fly on the wall and witness this shit show. I hope she at least declined gifts. Probably not, though.

A5ED3929-0AAA-461F-854D-E8550458517C.png

• Disgust 8
  • WTF 3

9 minutes ago, Zommom said:

Abbie is giving me Jill vibes, more and more. This woman loves attention and pampering. I would love to be a fly on the wall and witness this shit show. I hope she at least declined gifts. Probably not, though.

I would never have a shower for my 9th and 10th babies during a pandemic. I refused a shower for my second child! I didn’t need much at all for baby #2 so it seemed pointless to have one. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 4

I also refused to have a shower for my second. We registered for gender neutral colors for my first. We still got lots of girly stuff. Way too much pink! We still used girly stuff for our boys. My four year old has no idea pink is a "girl" color. 

We are done at three and have passed on baby stuff to a pregnant friend. Some things were still in excellent condition and some things were a bit beat up by my crazy boys. If I were to have a fourth, I still could not see having a shower. All babies being valued should not mean a shower for every single kid in my opinion.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Ohh fuckin hell. As I’ve said before, I am pro responsible breeder, but responsible breeder involves health testing to the breed (or breeds) of both parents, titling both parents in either sport or show, and having buyer contracts for potential buyers (yes buyers, because if you buy a puppy from a breeder it sign adoption, and nothing is wrong withy buying a puppy of this from a good source). And extensive background and reference checks for buyers, 

Abby is the last person who should have puppies ever, she is the epitome of a backyard Breeder, and is thus, directly contributing to the over population of dogs on this planet.

Okay so here’s the thing, a LOT of backyard breeders are “AKC registered” . AKC registration doesn’t mean shit in this day and age, to be a truly reputable breeder you need titles and health testing appropriate for the breed (in the cases of mutts, aka “doodles” they need both parent breed health testing) and just extensive buyer contracts, none of which is regulated by the AKC, the AKC has relatively little oversight when it comes to breeders and it’s stupidly easy to fake papers 

Yes to everything. Just to give something to compare Abbie's backyard breeding to. My dog's breeder co-owns multiple dogs who live with their families and are called in for a breeding when appropriate. She has the pedigrees for all of the dogs in her program going back six (?) generations and there is no inline breeding AKA inbreeding. She selects for health and personality primarily but the dogs who have been shown have done very well. Many of her dogs become service dogs, therapy dogs, do agility, participate in herding competitions, tracking, etc. All of her pups are tested for a multitude of things from possible genetic issues to hips, bite, etc. I know the medical / genetic history of all of my dog's parents and grandparents. The pups are welped in the breeders bedroom and move to the family living room once they're able to move around. I know the time of my dog's birth as well as birth-weight and litter placement. Smaller pups get supplemental feeds round the clock. My breeder also has experimented with various sensory/neurological stimulation protocols for the pups as well as just life experience in a family home. When they get older she even has constructed a sensory exploration course for the pups.  I shared the kind of life I wanted for my dog (be one of the family, likes cuddles and kisses, possible therapy dog, etc.) and the breeder chose the pup for me - - I'd say it was a perfect match! My dog was from litter W and the breeder is planning a DD litter for next winter so she has a great deal of experience. I had to sign a contract which, among other things my dog would be spayed and not be used for breeding (she is a carrier for a sensitivity to some medications but does not express it - she was negative on all other genetic testing) which is fine because we have no interest in breeding. Also, if for any reason at any time something doesn't work out I must return my dog to the breeder.

Clearly, Abbie has no idea what she's doing.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

People can still recognize a baby’s birth without a mom of many having a shower. 

I agree. I hate when people say “every baby deserves to be celebrated!” In reference to a shower. There are other ways to celebrate a baby. Hell, most parents celebrate every baby’s birth every single year until he’s an adult. It’s called a BIRTHDAY. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

People can still recognize a baby’s birth without a mom of many having a shower. 

You can even have basically the exact same style of party, baby games and all, just with no presents. Just say, "You're invited to a present-free baby celebration!" -- and bust out the streamers and punch. It doesn't need to be a shower of *gifts* to feel like a baby shower.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Pammy said:

You can even have basically the exact same style of party, baby games and all, just with no presents. Just say, "You're invited to a present-free baby celebration!" -- and bust out the streamers and punch. It doesn't need to be a shower of *gifts* to feel like a baby shower.

Braggie would never do that. She is like Veruca Salt. “Don’t care how! I want it now!”

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2

On showers I was so unbelievably lucky that two people gifted us so much, one from a friend who handed down things from her last and, a weird set up with my work, that some baby items that were mostly on display for 1 month, that no one wanted to deal with when they weren't needed any more were gifed to me, thanks to the push of one manager. We had a no presents shower, but passed the word, as some people refused the idea, if they must give a gift, a book with a note to the baby was perfect. We had many people give nothing, which was perfectly great, a few books we still treasure and a few handmade blankets that we also still hold dear. It was so great! But second had a age gap, moved areas and had given everything away, I was sad we were still building a friend network so had no shower. We were given a handful of things, but just got too it and made due, it was our kid to manage, not our friends. But truthfully, I just missed the party and friends, but besides age gaps, I think past 2 kids, it's rather greedy to want more showers.

On dog breeding, I recently, hopefully, talked some one into waiting to breed their dog, or preferably never breeding the dog. They have some friend with a totally untested dog, that is cute and free to use. They have never bred a dog, but my Mom did when I was a kid, training, and breeding a specific breed. She showed for obedience and taught obedience as well. I could not believe how little my friend knew about breeding. Puppies stink literally! Puppies need a lot of care quite early, if anything goes wrong even earlier. Bad things can happen to puppies and Mom and it can cost a lot to fix. My Mom lost a mother, and we payed a lot to save another over the many years. Puppies need feeding and care after a few weeks and that costs money, and requires time. People think they are making money, but the average person puts in more money and time then they think they will, ending up with little to show. And if you can't sell one when they are cute and small, the food bill doesn't stop. Ugh and puppies stink! Abbie will loose her mind! I think after everything I dealt with, with my Mom and the one time I agreed to breed my dog, I will only have fixed pets here on out, and so far, decades later, I have stuck to that promise.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Yes to everything. Just to give something to compare Abbie's backyard breeding to. My dog's breeder co-owns multiple dogs who live with their families and are called in for a breeding when appropriate. She has the pedigrees for all of the dogs in her program going back six (?) generations and there is no inline breeding AKA inbreeding. She selects for health and personality primarily but the dogs who have been shown have done very well. Many of her dogs become service dogs, therapy dogs, do agility, participate in herding competitions, tracking, etc. All of her pups are tested for a multitude of things from possible genetic issues to hips, bite, etc. I know the medical / genetic history of all of my dog's parents and grandparents. The pups are welped in the breeders bedroom and move to the family living room once they're able to move around. I know the time of my dog's birth as well as birth-weight and litter placement. Smaller pups get supplemental feeds round the clock. My breeder also has experimented with various sensory/neurological stimulation protocols for the pups as well as just life experience in a family home. When they get older she even has constructed a sensory exploration course for the pups.  I shared the kind of life I wanted for my dog (be one of the family, likes cuddles and kisses, possible therapy dog, etc.) and the breeder chose the pup for me - - I'd say it was a perfect match! My dog was from litter W and the breeder is planning a DD litter for next winter so she has a great deal of experience. I had to sign a contract which, among other things my dog would be spayed and not be used for breeding (she is a carrier for a sensitivity to some medications but does not express it - she was negative on all other genetic testing) which is fine because we have no interest in breeding. Also, if for any reason at any time something doesn't work out I must return my dog to the breeder.

Clearly, Abbie has no idea what she's doing.

Yes to everything you said! And i love meeting fellow ethical dog production enthusiasts in the wild (AKA not facebook XD). 

Has Abbie every known what she's doing?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Zommom said:

So tell us about your church's "celebrating life". Do you feed and house the homeless? Help the poor? Support the immigrants, documented and not? Wear masks to help protect the vulnerable? Help the teenaged parents? Support the abused to leave bad situations? Help families where one member has additional needs, and they are struggling? Sit with the dying, talk with the lonely about things other than salvation and with no expectation of conversion or other return? Fight the structural inequalities in society to provide equity for all people?

Or just give Abbie more crap that she probably doesn't need?

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • Love 16

4 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Or just give Abbie more crap that she probably doesn't need?

Braggie really is the last person on earth that needs a bunch more stuff to put in her McMansion. It would be nice if Braggie donated all the stuff to a charity helping women in domestic violence shelters. That way she can “celebrate” the babies and give to people who need baby stuff much more than her. But no, she’s too selfish for that. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

16 minutes ago, tankgirl said:

But truthfully, I just missed the party and friends,

And whether it's your first or 12th having a party should be fine - but seriously, I think after the first making it explicitly a party rather than a shower is a good idea. Not sure about US culture, but here you are likely to get presents at the shower and on the birth of the child, which adds up to a lot of things. 

I didn't have a shower with my child, mostly because he was born prem and then was very unstable for quite a while and it was too hard. We didn't get out the baby stuff we had (pretty much all second hand from friends) until we were fairly certain that he would definitely be coming home (6 weeks before he actually did). If I had had another child (and a less complicated pregnancy!) I would probably have had at least a party - but I would have made it clear it was a party for fun (and for me to have one!), and that gifts weren't necessary.

Geez I am really into brackets today apparently!

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I’m sure this wasn’t a church event. Probably not advertised in the bulletin. Obviously this was a selected few from her church that attended and threw her a party. My guess is that these are the rich, snobby, entitled, journal writing, long praying, bible study attendee addicts, advice giving, judgey and opinionated, Christian mom club gals. Can’t let just any ole’ lame Christian come to Abbie’s precious “nacho normal mom” party. Only the best of the best will do. She is insufferable.

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

And whether it's your first or 12th having a party should be fine - but seriously, I think after the first making it explicitly a party rather than a shower is a good idea. Not sure about US culture, but here you are likely to get presents at the shower and on the birth of the child, which adds up to a lot of things. 

I think having lived outside the US, this is why showers don't translate well outside the US. In the States it is rare to give a gift after the birth, unless you are close family and for example my Grandmother brought a small inexpensive toy and outfit after the birth, and I think my Mom finished a blanket and brought that. For the most part in the US all gifts are given at the shower, 1 and done. Where as I know the UK and other countries expect to give a gift after birth, which is why they wonder about 2 gift thing, from mixing a US thing, but still having their own culture habits. But yeah, Americans in this case are slightly less greedy then they sound, as birth gifts are not the norm. :)

I also think some exceptions are ok for multiple gift showers, mostly in case of moving, and huge age gaps, but then I had several people in my life go and have ridiculously huge, age gaps between their 1st and 2nd children, we are talking 13,14,18 and 21 years! We gave all of those women present showers,  and more time off their feet lol. 

• Upvote 4

The house where the shower was held looks disturbingly like Braggie's.  I'm guessing as someone astutely stated above, this is a little gaggle of Braggies who all follow each other on IG and gush over each other's furnishings and pat each other's backs on how terribly good and humble they are.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

The house where the shower was held looks disturbingly like Braggie's.  I'm guessing as someone astutely stated above, this is a little gaggle of Braggies who all follow each other on IG and gush over each other's furnishings and pat each other's backs on how terribly good and humble they are.  

It disturbs me to no end that there are multiple Braggie’s that get together and try to out martyr themselves while soothing their souls with shopping. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It disturbs me to no end that there are multiple Braggie’s that get together and try to out martyr themselves while soothing their souls with shopping. 

I’m sure most of them also peddle MLM crap all over the church. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic