IGNORED

Questions about Basic Site Info (moved from Mills thread)

Toto2

35 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

Relative newbie question:    Under my username, why does it say "The Elderly"?

The FAQ, ToU, and your welcome letter are excellent resources to learn about FJ.  If you have a question not answered in that material feel free to post a thread in Community Discussion where it will addressed, not in the middle of an unrelated thread.

The answer to your question is it means you're an active member.  For information about other groups on FJ see FAQ > How to Use FJ > Site Related Questions > What do the color coded groups mean?

You can also go to the forum SOTDRT for basic info about FJ.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
added SOTDRT
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for referring me to those sections of the site.    Holy toledo, stuff is sure difficult to find on this site .... more so than on many sites, and I'm no newbie to navigating websites.

Any idea how deep I needed to dig to get a definition of SOTDRT ?    It's mentioned in your response to me, with those dashed marks underneath.    I have a few suggestions to make the site easier to use:

1)   Put the definition of those acronyms as a click or a link where they are mentioned.   Sometimes the name alone is explanatory and sometimes it isn't.   

2)   If the acronym references a forum, perhaps have it as a clickable link.    

3)    Have an alphabetized acronym list somewhere.    I've searched the acronym link without success in the past.    Sometimes the info is buried deep in a Q & A, rather than being easily accessible.     Sometimes a google search (rather than a FJ internal search) makes the info more easily found, which is strange.      Until I thought to do that, I often gave up finding the info I was looking for.

ETA   I recently found some info in the FJ Dictionary page, but it wasn't immediately obvious it was there.

Edited by Toto2

7 hours ago, Toto2 said:

Thanks for referring me to those sections of the site.    Holy toledo, stuff is sure difficult to find on this site .... more so than on many sites, and I'm no newbie to navigating websites.

Any idea how deep I needed to dig to get a definition of SOTDRT ?    It's mentioned in your response to me, with those dashed marks underneath.    I have a few suggestions to make the site easier to use:

1)   Put the definition of those acronyms as a click or a link where they are mentioned.   Sometimes the name alone is explanatory and sometimes it isn't.   

2)   If the acronym references a forum, perhaps have it as a clickable link.    

3)    Have an alphabetized acronym list somewhere.    I've searched the acronym link without success in the past.    Sometimes the info is buried deep in a Q & A, rather than being easily accessible.     Sometimes a google search (rather than a FJ internal search) makes the info more easily found, which is strange.      Until I thought to do that, I often gave up finding the info I was looking for.

ETA   I recently found some info in the FJ Dictionary page, but it wasn't immediately obvious it was there.

It's underlined so when you hover over it it gives you the definition without even having to click. 

While there is always room for improvement in anything, the information you are asking about is in the FAQ.  

What does SOTDRT/TTH/ATI mean?

Posters on FJ really love to shorten things down and give people nicknames. We have a FreeJinger specific dictionary.  We also have an acronym extender (for lack of a better description). It will put a line under any of the defined terms and if you mouse over them it will give you the full descriptions.  You can see this in action in the title of this FAQ.

For common internet slang and abbreviations Urban Dictionary is a good place to start looking.

We welcome new users and are happy to answer questions, but we do expect people to make an attempt to use the resources already available to try to find the answer first.  A lot of work went into the FAQ specifically to make finding the answers more user friendly for posters.

• Upvote 4

On 6/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It's underlined so when you hover over it it gives you the definition without even having to click. 

While there is always room for improvement in anything, the information you are asking about is in the FAQ.  

We welcome new users and are happy to answer questions, but we do expect people to make an attempt to use the resources already available to try to find the answer first.  A lot of work went into the FAQ specifically to make finding the answers more user friendly for posters.

Let me give  you an example of one of the challenges of this site.     I wanted to find the FAQ.     Naturally, I typed FAQ in the search box.     What came up?     ZERO matches.      It's odd to me that to find the site FAQ easily, I need to do a google search (outside of the site), rather than be able to effectively use the "search" function within the site.

I also looked at the quick links list that appears on the bottom left, and FAQ is not one of the links, nor is it mentioned there.    You almost need to be familiar with the site to get familiar with the site.    That's what I mean about things being buried.

Yes, when I hover over SOTDRT I can see what the initials stand for.    But that is not a definition.     Nor is it a link to the definition, which is what I was suggesting.

Other times I've done searches and come up with 18,000 entries.    A user shouldn't be expected to dig thru that much to try to find the info that they are looking for.     Surely no one has the time for that.

I ALWAYS do some exploration, sometimes extensively, to find the info I need, and frankly, I'm insulted that you would suggest otherwise... particularly since this forum is supposed to be a friendly place to ask questions.     And as I mentioned, I'm a pretty savvy internet and computer user.

Perhaps people are so immersed int he terminology and the culture exclusive to this site that it's difficult to remember what it was like to try to find things without that knowledge.    There is a great deal of terminology that is within the knowledge base of experienced users and administrators that I would never know to search for or through as a newbie.

Another example:   When I asked about what "The Elderly" means, I was referred thru various menus to "What do the colour-coded groups mean?".     Under what circumstances would you expect a newcomer unfamiliar with your terminology to know to look at colour-coded groups to find an answer to that question?    How am I to know that "The Elderly" is considered colour-coded?     And then when I ask, I'm chastised for not trying to use existing resources?

I was also referred to the "welcome letter" to find info.   I searched my email thinking there was info there, but there was minimal info about site access and no letter referenced, nor a link to one.   I did a search for "welcome letter" in the search box and there were over 6000 entries.    Perhaps the reference you're referring to is called something else or linked in some different way that is not obvious?

I'm not intending to be overly negative here.    I hope to be providing you with useful feedback as to some of the challenges of navigating the site.    I'm an intelligent woman with a lot of computer experience and a Master's degree who has not had this kind of difficulty on virtually any other site I've explored.    While it's obvious that a great deal of work has been done to create the culture and document it, I'm wanting to make you aware of some things that are barriers to becoming familiar with the site without having to "bother" anyone.

Edited by Toto2

26 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

Let me give  you an example of one of the challenges of this site.     I wanted to find the FAQ.     Naturally, I typed FAQ in the search box.     What came up?     ZERO matches.      It's odd to me that to find the site FAQ easily, I need to do a google search (outside of the site), rather than be able to effectively use the "search" function within the site.

also looked at the list that appears on the bottom left, and FAQ is not one of the links, nor is it mentioned there.    You almost need to be familiar with the site to get familiar with the site.    That's what I mean about things being buried.

It's on the top of every page in large font.  I don't know how much more clearly we can make it.

Also, searches are also often fucky within sites, and ours is no exception.  It's imperfect but works for most things.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It's on the top of every page in large font.  I don't know how much more clearly we can make it.

Also, searches are also often fucky within sites, and ours is no exception.  It's imperfect but works for most things.

also looked at the list that appears on the bottom left, and FAQ is not one of the links, nor is it mentioned there.    You almost need to be familiar with the site to get familiar with the site.    That's what I mean about things being buried.

No such thing shows at the top of my pages.  There are only some symbols.    Had FAQ been there, especially in a large font, I would have seen it and used it!    I access the site exclusively from a laptop.    Perhaps it's different if accessing from a phone?

Again, I would expect it would be listed with the quick links.

27 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

I also looked at the quick links list that appears on the bottom left, and FAQ is not one of the links, nor is it mentioned there.    You almost need to be familiar with the site to get familiar with the site.    That's what I mean about things being buried.

Yes, when I hover over SOTDRT I can see what the initials stand for.    But that is not a definition.     Nor is it a link to the definition, which is what I was suggesting.

Other times I've done searches and come up with 18,000 entries.    A user shouldn't be expected to dig thru that much to try to find the info that they are looking for.     Surely no one has the time for that.

I ALWAYS do some exploration, sometimes extensively, to find the info I need, and frankly, I'm insulted that you would suggest otherwise... particularly since this forum is supposed to be a friendly place to ask questions.     And as I mentioned, I'm a pretty savvy internet and computer user.

Perhaps people are so immersed int he terminology and the culture exclusive to this site that it's difficult to remember what it was like to try to find things without that knowledge.    There is a great deal of terminology that is within the knowledge base of experienced users and administrators that I would never know to search for or through as a newbie.

Another example:   When I asked about what "The Elderly" means, I was referred thru various menus to "What do the colour-coded groups mean?".     Under what circumstances would you expect a newcomer unfamiliar with your terminology to know to look at colour-coded groups to find an answer to that question?    How am I to know that "The Elderly" is considered colour-coded?     And then when I ask, I'm chastised for not trying to use existing resources?

I was also referred to the "welcome letter" to find info.   I searched my email thinking there was info there, but there was minimal info about site access and no letter referenced, nor a link to one.   I did a search for "welcome letter" in the search box and there were over 6000 entries.    Perhaps the reference you're referring to is called something else or linked in some different way that is not obvious?

I'm not intending to be overly negative here.    I hope to be providing you with useful feedback as to some of the challenges of navigating the site.    I'm an intelligent woman with a lot of computer experience and a Master's degree who has not had this kind of difficulty on virtually any other site I've explored.    While it's obvious that a great deal of work has been done to create the culture and document it, I'm wanting to make you aware of some things that are barriers to becoming familiar with the site without having to "bother" anyone.

I just want to point out that FAQs appear right at the top left of the menu bar at the top. Please see the illustration below. I am not really sure why you had a hard time finding it.

2020-07-01.png

1 minute ago, Toto2 said:

No such thing shows at the top of my pages.  There are only some symbols.    Had FAQ been there, especially in a large font, I would have seen it and used it!    I access the site exclusively from a laptop.    Perhaps it's different if accessing from a phone?

Again, I would expect it would be listed with the quick links.

And this is from a laptop. This sounds like a browser issue, not an FJ issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I just want to point out that FAQs appear right at the top left of the menu bar at the top. Please see the illustration below. I am not really sure why you had a hard time finding it.

2020-07-01.png

And this is from a laptop. This sounds like a browser issue, not an FJ issue.

Below is a screenshot of what I see at the top of each page.    I am using the most updated version of Google Chrome (updated yesterday), so I'd be surprised if it were a browser issue.

However, with your screenshot of what you see, I can appreciate why you think I must be dense.     Obviously, what I see is different than what you are shown.

image.thumb.png.df1b7f8cb3a95b0683694aabeee3cb3c.png

Edited by Toto2

54 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

This is a stickied post in this very forum.  The other material references this forum (SOTDRT) as the place to learn basic FJ stuff.

Honestly, I'm sorry you're struggling so much to navigate FJ but everything you've mentioned is easily found.

13 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

Below is a screenshot of what I see at the top of each page.    I am using the most updated version of Google Chrome (updated yesterday), so I'd be surprised if it were a browser issue.

However, with your screenshot of what you see, I can appreciate why you think I must be dense.     Obviously, what I see is different than what you are shown.

image.thumb.png.df1b7f8cb3a95b0683694aabeee3cb3c.png

This is a tech support issue - I've never seen a page on FJ like that and I just tested with all themes and two different browsers and all show the correct navigation bars.  Your logo is even centered and not left justified.  

I've put in a message to @Destiny.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
left and right are two different things

I see a screen similar to what @Toto2 sees. I usually use my Fire Tablet to browse FJ. When I click on the three lines on the far right, FAQ is the third option between Browse and Guidelines. 

• Thank You 1

57 minutes ago, Ali said:

I see a screen similar to what @Toto2 sees. I usually use my Fire Tablet to browse FJ. When I click on the three lines on the far right, FAQ is the third option between Browse and Guidelines. 

Thank you.

Also, one more mystery solved .... I always increase the size of the font that shows on the screen as a result of some diminished vision.

When I reduced the font size, those headings did show.     Not sure why they disappear completely with even a 10% increase in font size, but they do.

Edited by Toto2

11 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

Thank you.

One more mystery solved .... I always increase the size of the font that shows on the screen as a result of some diminished vision.

When I reduced the font size, those headings did show.     Not sure why they disappear completely with even a 10% increase in font size, but they do.

Ah - thanks.  Good to know that's what the issue is.  Also glad it clears up the confusion.

4 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

Thank you.

One more mystery solved .... I always increase the size of the font that shows on the screen as a result of some diminished vision.

My guess is that this is enough of an increase to make the headings too wide for the screen, triggering the mobile view. 

As a web developer (though admittedly mostly backend) I can attest that supporting all browsers is hard. There's bound to be quirks like these.

• Thank You 2

19 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ah - thanks.  Good to know that's what the issue is.  Also glad it clears up the confusion.

That it does.    Usually, some of the things in a header show when I view using my preferred font size, but I did run into the same issue on another site recently, which is why I thought to try  reducing the zoom.

I hereby withdraw my criticisms of the apparently hidden location of the FAQ's, and hope that it's clear I'm not either dense or blind !

Now if someone can direct me to the location of that "welcome letter" .....    I'll carry on with my familiarization with the site.

Edited by Toto2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

That it does.    Usually, some of the things in a header show when I view using my preferred font size, but I did run into the same issue on another site recently, which is why I thought to try  reducing the zoom.

I hereby withdraw my criticisms of the apparently hidden location of the FAQ's, and hope that it's clear I'm not either dense or blind !

Now if someone can direct me to the location of that "welcome letter" .....    I'll carry on with my familiarization with the site.

In the top bar:  Guidelines > Welcome New Members.  Here's a direct link.

https://www.freejinger.org/help/welcome-new-members/

On 7/7/2020 at 9:57 PM, Destiny said:

This is the way. We have a lot of new people here. Y'all NEED to actually read and understand our rules if you are going to fit in here. This thread should NOT have as many mod boxes as it does, and consequences are going to start coming if this thread can't get it together. Ignorance of the rules does not equal not getting warnings and points. 

Please don't make me use the red box again.

Heads up. As of yesterday the links to the rules were throwing an error message.

11 minutes ago, Shaquillle Oatmeal said:

Heads up. As of yesterday the links to the rules were throwing an error message.

We know some links are broken, but the rules are also in the FAQ and ToU and fully available.

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

We know some links are broken, but the rules are also in the FAQ and ToU and fully available.

Where is the FAQ? I've looked everywhere. 

Suggestion... Could it be added to FJ quick links?

5 minutes ago, Shaquillle Oatmeal said:

Where is the FAQ? I've looked everywhere. 

Suggestion... Could it be added to FJ quick links?

The FAQ is at the top of every page,  If you can't see it check the font on your browser as if it's too large it will convert the site to mobile in which case it's in the far right drop down (three lines.)

We just went through this with another user in this thread.  If you have suggestions or problems with the site please post in the proper forums, (tech support for issues, Community Discussion to discuss FJ, and SOTDRT for people who are new to learn about FJ.)

Will move these to the join the others shortly.

• Upvote 2

To all the new members, I just want to say hang in there and don't let the site's navigation scare you away. I have been a member here a long time and I feel that it is still really, really hard to find things for me. A lot of that is due to the vastness of information that is on the site. As others have mentioned, if you get stuck looking for a forum or topic you can usually go to Google and find it that way. The snark here is worth a little extra effort!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The FAQ is at the top of every page,  If you can't see it check the font on your browser as if it's too large it will convert the site to mobile in which case it's in the far right drop down (three lines.)

We just went through this with another user in this thread.  If you have suggestions or problems with the site please post in the proper forums, (tech support for issues, Community Discussion to discuss FJ, and SOTDRT for people who are new to learn about FJ.)

Will move these to the join the others shortly.

Thank you for your help. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

To all the new members, I just want to say hang in there and don't let the site's navigation scare you away. I have been a member here a long time and I feel that it is still really, really hard to find things for me. A lot of that is due to the vastness of information that is on the site. As others have mentioned, if you get stuck looking for a forum or topic you can usually go to Google and find it that way. The snark here is worth a little extra effort!

Thank you very much for your encouragement. One thing I appreciate about FJ is the volume of ideas and thoughts that are shared here. Catch 22 is that it can be intimidating. Nevertheless, I'm not afraid to ask for help. Hope you had a great holiday @Queen Of Hearts

• Upvote 2