IGNORED

Abby Johnson: "I adopted a Black son and actually, racist policing is good""

NachosFlandersStyle

3 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

So police profiling black men is good because they’re more likely to be criminals?  What about Abby’s “nerdy white boys” (not my words)?  Seems like a lot of school shooters/mass shooters fit that profile.  Shouldn’t they be profiled by police, too?

Or serial killers. They should really take a long hard look at her white boys since they are way more likely to be serial killers than her biracial son. 

• Upvote 15

5 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

So police profiling black men is good because they’re more likely to be criminals?  What about Abby’s “nerdy white boys” (not my words)?  Seems like a lot of school shooters/mass shooters fit that profile.  Shouldn’t they be profiled by police, too?

Now you brought this parody song to my mind .  

Spoiler

On a serious note though , racial profiling of whites is also wrong , and factually flawed . { https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wicked-deeds/201412/serial-killer-myth-6-they-are-all-white , https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/10/what-the-white-mass-shooter-myth-gets-right-and-wrong-about-killers-demographics.html } From an article I posted previously in this thread .  

Racial profiling has undermined some high-profile criminal investigations. Take the Oklahoma City bombings of 1995. In that case, officers initially investigated the bombings with Arab males in mind as suspects. As it turned out, white American men committed the crime. "Similarly, during the Washington D.C. area sniper investigation, the African American man and boy ultimately accused of the crime reportedly were able to pass through multiple road blocks with the alleged murder weapon in their possession, in part, because police profilers theorized the crime had been committed by a white male acting alone," Amnesty points out.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-case-against-racial-profiling-2834830  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Marmion, I should have clarified I was just pointing out Abby’s hypocrisy.  Police profiling of any type, even against white people, is wrong, dangerous, and unhelpful in preventing/solving crimes.  

• Upvote 7

20 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

My grandma always said her grandma was dark Dutch. When I asked her what that meant she said it was to cover biracial and being able to pass as white. I haven’t done my DNA but I am going to guess my family believed love was love for a long time. Though the only way I am ever going to get someone to believe that I am anything but wonder bread is with dna. ?

I have a similar story in my family. My grandma was dutch and her mother claimed to have dark durch ancestors.

• Upvote 2

On 6/28/2020 at 11:37 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Even assuming that she's right and her black child  looks more intimidating than her nerdy looking white kids, dafuq? So what? It's not an actual crime to look intimidating (and it's in the eye of the beholder anyway), and there are plenty of nerdy looking criminals.

I agree that “even if” he looked intimidating as an adult (was exceptionally large, had a bodybuilding hobby, had a resting angry expression) that doesn’t justify police scrutiny or brutality, but I’m not comfortable accepting that “even if” at face value. She seems to believe, and is happy with others believing and acting upon, the assumption that blackness alone is intimidating. The assumption itself is racist and harmful.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

My cousin's sons dad is Albanian. They look very different from all the other kids in their small, rural german town. By age 16, #1 son was over six feet tall and had grown a very impressive beard for his young age. Which is when he started getting stopped by police and having his backpack searched when he was in town on his own. Being guilty of nothing but looking different from other kids his age. He is 19 now, and it hasn't happened in a while, but I'm still furious just thinking about it. This never happened to his younger brother, who just looks like a fluffy little teddy bear (smaller, a little chubby, no beard) in comparison to his more serious-looking brother, by the way, even though he has the same shade of darker skin, hair and eyes. If we could just stop judging people by their looks, please, that would be awesome...

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Abby is just dumb in addition to being racist. It is possible to be nerdy and black. The most well known nerd in pop culture is Steve Urkel. 

• Upvote 12

Let's profile all rich white people for white collar crime. Can't be too safe ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

I can't even figure out words strong enough to describe the depth of my hatred of that fucking worthless waste of space.  This is one of those cases where an adopted child needs to be given up to another home.  He needs to not be where he is.

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, LiaRose said:

I can't even figure out words strong enough to describe the depth of my hatred of that fucking worthless waste of space.  This is one of those cases where an adopted child needs to be given up to another home.  He needs to not be where he is.

I am not sure if a rehoming would be warranted or not , or even possible . However , based in large part upon my observation , mentioned in this post here 

, the adoption of black children by certain conservative evangelicals is problematic . 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Aren't a lot of serial killers "nerdy white boys" to begin with? Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ.

• Upvote 4

I know loads of nerdy-looking white boys who have criminal records for drugs, theft, assault, etc and even more who have done these things and never been arrested! Whether or not you "look" intimidating to someone else is meaningless.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4