IGNORED

Abby Johnson: "I adopted a Black son and actually, racist policing is good""

NachosFlandersStyle

Abby Johnson, anti-abortion grifter and inspiration for the Duggars' favorite movie, is at it again:

Short version: one of her adopted sons is biracial, and she knows she's going to have to have a conversation with him about police, but "that doesn't make me angry!" Because she believes that black men actually are more likely to be criminals and any cop who engages in profiling is just being "smart." She predicts that her biracial son is going to look "intimidating" while her white sons are going to look "nerdy" and nonthreatening, as if that's just an objective distinction.

She goes on to explain that the REAL problem is that Black men are deadbeat dads ?and that apparently the Marxists on the left are trying to keep them from being good fathers, in the name of relativism, or something.

Bog-standard white Republican racism, really, if it weren't for the fact that she's supposed to be raising one of the Black men she seems to despise so much. Can you fucking imagine what that kid is going to grow up hearing? Oh my god.

Simcha Fisher posted a response: https://www.simchafisher.com/2020/06/25/abby-johnson-police-will-racially-profile-my-biracial-son-thats-smart/

Just another example of "pro-life" concern that ends at birth.

Oh, and also, she looks like a damned clown in that makeup.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 6
  • Disgust 12
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 12
  • I Agree 1

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FUCK?  

I feel so bad for this little boy being raised by a slime mold like Abby Johnson. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

Speaking as someone who has gotten made out as being a " person of color" , at various times , including at times I believe  by police ; as I am of " Black Dutch " descent , I strongly resent the idea that police should be allowed to subject me to a field interrogation , simply because I am present in a white bread neighborhood .  I feel that this violates my civil rights to freedom of movement , presumption of innocence , and just simply the right to privacy .  People , and especially I think minors , should not be asked probing questions , which if anyone other than such officious , overly suspicious law enforcement personnel were to ask , it would be considerably creepy , for sure .  Questions such as where I live , what am I doing , how long do I intend to remain in the area ; all because they suspect that I don't belong in the community , and might possibly be an undocumented immigrant .  In fact , even U.S. citizens , born and raised , have ended up getting deported by mistake .  

Spoiler

Spoiler

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/thousands-of-u-s-citizens-have-been-mistakenly-detained-or-deported/  ,  https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-citizens-ice-20180427-htmlstory.html ,  https://www.laprogressive.com/another-u-s-citizen-accidentally-deported/  , https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/us-immigration-laws-unconstitutional-double-standards/599140/ } It is for these reasons that I feel that racial profiling is wrong .  https://www.thoughtco.com/the-case-against-racial-profiling-2834830  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

That poor kid, indeed.

Also this thread made me look up Black Dutch ppl but I don't see any evidence of the African Roman soldier claim. I'll look next time I'm signed into my work library but I'm skeptical mostly because dark eyes/hair are common all over Europe and you'd think those genes would be pretty watered down after 2000 years. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dutch_(genealogy)

• Upvote 3

This is so disgusting and sad. How can you look at your own child who you know and should love and think, "He looks dangerous because of the color of his skin," rather than looking at him and being like, "I know him, I know his heart and his character and I love him no matter what- so holy shit, maybe other people with his skin color are like him and it's not accurate or okay to make assumptions about someone based on skin color." It blows my mind. Poor kid.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

Poor child, it is already proven that the criminal justice system is just more likely to persue charges against black people than white people and her telling her child that racial profiling is ok is gonna make that child feel undervalued. These people need to stop adopting children, especially those of a different race. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Abby Johnson, anti-abortion grifter and inspiration for the Duggars' favorite movie, is at it again:

Short version: one of her adopted sons is biracial, and she knows she's going to have to have a conversation with him about police, but "that doesn't make me angry!" Because she believes that black men actually are more likely to be criminals and any cop who engages in profiling is just being "smart." She predicts that her biracial son is going to look "intimidating" while her white sons are going to look "nerdy" and nonthreatening, as if that's just an objective distinction.

She goes on to explain that the REAL problem is that Black men are deadbeat dads ?and that apparently the Marxists on the left are trying to keep them from being good fathers, in the name of relativism, or something.

Bog-standard white Republican racism, really, if it weren't for the fact that she's supposed to be raising one of the Black men she seems to despise so much. Can you fucking imagine what that kid is going to grow up hearing? Oh my god.

Simcha Fisher posted a response: https://www.simchafisher.com/2020/06/25/abby-johnson-police-will-racially-profile-my-biracial-son-thats-smart/

Just another example of "pro-life" concern that ends at birth.

Oh, and also, she looks like a damned clown in that makeup.

Did this monster go to beauty school with JRod? And wtf is the deal with the eyebrows? There is nothing redeeming in this creature.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

This is what her makeup reminds me of:

D0357AB0-079C-432B-B055-D04BE73E6EAA.jpeg

What ever happened to Abby Johnson?

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Wow...well, as a Mum of biracial children who are at risk of racial profiling (Anglo-Mexican) to another...go fudge yourself Abby.

I will be teaching my kids the complete opposite of everything you just said. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 13

Some of my friends never thought much about racial issues—until they had black grandchildren. Now their inner mama bear has come out in a way that’s absolutely glorious.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, Hane said:

Some of my friends never thought much about racial issues—until they had black grandchildren. Now their inner mama bear has come out in a way that’s absolutely glorious.

There is a stack of psych research to show that "contact", as in meaningful relationships with others who are different to, whether it be by race, sexual orientation, income-level or any other factor, is the most powerful innoculater of bigotry.

I'm sure many (not necessarily here at FJ but in society) will insist those friends "should have cared before", but when awareness finally 'hits' someone via any method, it's a wonderful thing.

It makes complete sense based on multitudes of replicated studies that your friends and other families who then see a POC as part of their family have a change in their awareness and advocacy of equality and to address racial injustice.

I said it before but I'll say it again, it blows my mind that a parent of a non-white child can still explicitly hold prejudices like Abby's. I really don't understand and cannot relate to being that dug into my opinions on race and society. We all, even POC, have implicit biases against sometimes our own race and other races in this country and it is work to identify those and do our best to ameliorate them but it is a fraction of the work POC do every single day to be seen as equal in the eyes of others and have the same opportunities.

@Hane, so glad your friends' Mama bear side is roaring!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Even assuming that she's right and her black child  looks more intimidating than her nerdy looking white kids, dafuq? So what? It's not an actual crime to look intimidating (and it's in the eye of the beholder anyway), and there are plenty of nerdy looking criminals.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

This is so screwed up. I feel so bad for her son that his mother thinks this about him. 

Note: My "I agree" response to OP is with OP not with Abby who can kindly screw herself for her racism. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

That poor little boy. He deserves so much better. 

A contributing factor to black fathers not being in the home is incarceration. 

She's solidifying that circle with her racism. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, Carrots said:

Wow...well, as a Mum of biracial children who are at risk of racial profiling (Anglo-Mexican) to another...go fudge yourself Abby.

I will be teaching my kids the complete opposite of everything you just said. 

Well, that is because you are an actual good mom, not just adopting to show off what a good Christian you are.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I am no fan of Karissa Collins, yet I would love to hear her response to this. Granted, I might need an hour to read it, because she's nothing if not long- winded.

(for those of you unfamiliar, KC is a quiverfull instagrammer who has a whole passel biracial biological children)

Hey, Abby Johnson? Fuck you and fuck your eyeliner.

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is what her makeup reminds me of:

D0357AB0-079C-432B-B055-D04BE73E6EAA.jpeg

What ever happened to Abby Johnson?

And the above was an artistic choice.  Abby is serious with it. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Aine said:

There is a stack of psych research to show that "contact", as in meaningful relationships with others who are different to, whether it be by race, sexual orientation, income-level or any other factor, is the most powerful innoculater of bigotry.

I'm sure many (not necessarily here at FJ but in society) will insist those friends "should have cared before", but when awareness finally 'hits' someone via any method, it's a wonderful thing.

It makes complete sense based on multitudes of replicated studies that your friends and other families who then see a POC as part of their family have a change in their awareness and advocacy of equality and to address racial injustice.

I said it before but I'll say it again, it blows my mind that a parent of a non-white child can still explicitly hold prejudices like Abby's. I really don't understand and cannot relate to being that dug into my opinions on race and society. We all, even POC, have implicit biases against sometimes our own race and other races in this country and it is work to identify those and do our best to ameliorate them but it is a fraction of the work POC do every single day to be seen as equal in the eyes of others and have the same opportunities.

@Hane, so glad your friends' Mama bear side is roaring!

Of course the "contact" thing makes intuitive sense and makes all the work to separate people by race/ethnicity/income (think school bussing issues, redlining etc.) the more infuriating. If we are going to move into anti-racist culture, we need our institutions to bring us together.

I am lately realizing I have a lot of "contact privilege" because I'm white but much of my extended family isn't, and I always  went to the inner city schools with lots of kids of immigrants and refugees. This has been a huge benefit to my life.

But yes, if you're a close-minded person like Abby Johnson (I can only assume), it seems no amount of contact will convince you that the "others" are not other. I feel so bad for her kid and I'm frankly surprised whatever Christian adoption agency she used (again, I assume, maybe she used foster care) didn't screen for these attitudes?!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

If anyone cares about "black Dutch" ethnicity in the US (I had never heard of it before as a Canadian so went down a rabbit hole on a university library site):

This term seems to have been used in a derogatory way for any European-American with dark hair/eyes/tan and who perhaps were short. Of course that describes a lot of Europeans.

In the south/Texas, people seem to use it to politely say they are mixed race, either/or Black or Native American. See also Melungeons, mixed race white/black people in the Appalachians who understood themselves to be Portuguese after a few generations!

There is no genealogical evidence that I can find that any African soldiers posted in Germany contributed in a significant way to the gene pool. (I have no idea if the claim that African soldiers were preferred there is true, but I think Romans moved people all over as seen by African Roman burials in north England, but it's so long ago, zero to few genes would be passed down.) In contrast, there are many papers about North African genes in Spain/Portugal because of the Moorish invasion in the middle ages.

TL;DR: If you're American and your family says you're of "black Dutch" ancestry, you might well have some African and/or Native American genes but these ancestors are from the last 400 years. It's a fascinating part of American history, race anxiety, and of course just the stupid way that "race" was invented anyway to justify the slave trade and feeling superior to southern and eastern Europeans.

• Upvote 8

My grandma always said her grandma was dark Dutch. When I asked her what that meant she said it was to cover biracial and being able to pass as white. I haven’t done my DNA but I am going to guess my family believed love was love for a long time. Though the only way I am ever going to get someone to believe that I am anything but wonder bread is with dna. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

My grandma always said her grandma was dark Dutch. When I asked her what that meant she said it was to cover biracial and being able to pass as white. I haven’t done my DNA but I am going to guess my family believed love was love for a long time. Though the only way I am ever going to get someone to believe that I am anything but wonder bread is with dna. ?

I guess the Anglo Canadian version of this is to say you're part Native because you have olive skin, like my grandma claimed. I didn't get the olive genes and I'm pretty sure we're just boring white people.

• Upvote 2

So police profiling black men is good because they’re more likely to be criminals?  What about Abby’s “nerdy white boys” (not my words)?  Seems like a lot of school shooters/mass shooters fit that profile.  Shouldn’t they be profiled by police, too?

• Upvote 13