IGNORED

Handmaid's Tale Season 4

TuringMachine

4 hours ago, adidas said:

I thought it was the best episode of the series! 

It was certainly the most emotionally satisfying, for me.  I may watch it again today.

I’ve looked, but I can’t remember how to do the hidden content for spoilers thing? Or is it necessary to discuss Episode 10? What’s the etiquette for how long to wait on specifics? 

Edited by Mama Mia

48 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I’ve looked, but I can’t remember how to do the hidden content for spoilers thing? Or is it necessary to discuss Episode 10? What’s the etiquette for how long to wait on specifics? 

Going by the last thread, we are fine to discuss it without spoiler tags.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I know this is an unpopular opinion but I was unhappy with Episode 10 for a few reasons

—- Fred was one of the highest ranking Commanders, knowledgeable about all aspects of the operations and structure of Gilead, he flipped to save himself. He would have been much more useful kept alive to give detailed information, maybe play double agent, help find a way to get Hannah out and assist the US / UN in bringing down Gilead. Killing him was understandable, and satisfying, but ultimately counterproductive.  

—- Killing him at that moment and way only made him, and Serena, a martyr to the people who were starting to follow him, and could be used by Gilead as a way of showing what happens to traitors. It changed nothing in Gilead. 

—-  It missed the opportunity to explore Serena and Fred getting a cult following because of Serena’s pregnancy, and what Gilead was doing to promote fertility. That could have made for some really interesting storylines.

—- Most importantly, IMO, was that killing off Fred leaves Serena and Aunt Lydia as the main villains. I don’t like that in a story focused on an authoritarian patriarchy, that it is two women who will be the big bad. Yes Serena was a willing architect of the system - and Lydia is a horribly abusive cog - but the guy who gets it in the end should be — a guy. And Fred is the only one that makes sense. Having him die like that the final episode of the series, with Gilead in tatters and powerless would have been great. But not in Season 4.

just my thoughts. Really incredibly well done though. 

• Upvote 2

Season 5 will need to be very good for me to watch. I found this season disappointing, dull (visually) and … I dunno … just compared to season 1 it wasn’t up to par. I thought some of the imagery was very well done, but the emotions could have been explored in a much more engaging way.

I read that they had to kill Fred off because the actor hated playing the character and wanted out. They’re hand was forced, so to speak. I liked a lot of the symbolism in that episode and the foreshadowing was good. 

• Upvote 1

I think in order for Truello to go along with June's plan, which he did, Fred would have to have already turned over a lot of useful info.  I think he did.  We don't know exactly how much time elapsed between Episodes 9 and 10, but I don't think it was just a few days.  

The knowing glance during the early exchange between Truello and Serena made me think they'd had an affair and the baby could be his, but I found a Reddit thread with an interview quote from one of the writers saying that definitely was not the case.  Which is good, because it's better that Fred knew he was losing his child while he was dying.  

I thought it was absolutely perfect.  Lawrence's posturing that he cared even a little during the exchange was delicious.  Nick hitting Fred was so satisfying.  Emily's smirk right before she dove into his execution...::::chef's kiss:::.  He got exactly what he deserved.  I literally stood up and was pumping my fists and saying "hell yeah!".  Some of my satisfaction probably comes from the fact that I'm a rape survivor who got no justice.  Maybe it says something dark about me that I gleefully cheered an execution.  Don't really care, I loved it.  

Best response line I saw on Reddit:  oh look, Serena has 10 fingers again!  ?

• Upvote 3