IGNORED

Tennessean done fornicated up

47of74

Someone really got some crap past the radar

The Tennessean is investigating how a paid advertisement from a fringe religious group was published on Sunday in violation of the newspaper’s long-established standards.

The ad featured a bizarre, pseudo-religious “prophecy,” including the declaration of an impending nuclear attack in Nashville by “Islam.”

The ad was immediately ordered to be pulled from future editions by sales executives and the investigation launched. A similar ad, one that did not mention Islam but also contained an end-times prophecy, published in the newspaper on June 17.

The newspaper’s advertising standards clearly forbid hate speech. Advertisements that do not meet the paper’s standards are routinely rejected for publication.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 10

Another day, another doomsday cult...

According to another article, this is Future for America based in Bonnerdale, Arkansas.  Has anyone heard of this particular cult?  On my map, it shows Future for America just down the road from Bubba's Brew's.  I like the juxtaposition. 

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Another day, another doomsday cult...

According to another article, this is Future for America based in Bonnerdale, Arkansas.  Has anyone heard of this particular cult?  On my map, it shows Future for America just down the road from Bubba's Brew's.  I like the juxtaposition. 

No I hadn't heard of them until today.  I checked the SPLC site and didn't see them listed there.  According to ProPublica this particular doomsday/hate cult has been around since 1994.  I wonder where they're getting all the money from - it looks like they're getting close to $800,000 a year. 

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 5

Saw this on Twitter. Looks like The Tennessean has a lot of 'splaining to do! What a fuck up.

Apart from full-page newspaper ads, it isn't clear what this cult spends its money on. Its 2018 IRS 990 indicates that only one board member gets paid, and pretty modestly at that ($41,800). They do spend about $130K a year on travel, ca $68K on "ministry expenses," and nearly $125K on contract labor. ?‍♀️

In case anyone is interested, their July 2020 newsletter lays out the math & various evidence for their end times calculations.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Thank You 2

Well, that newsletter was a 20-page mishmash of stuff any disturbed person could have come up with based on a study of history [lite version]. In my one-minute review (because that's all it deserved), I learned east wind = Islam, west wind = kamikaze, country music = Nashville = evil.city.must.be.bombed.  It's all true, folks!  ?

Did you see they have a School of the Prophets?  I wonder what their batting average is on predictions. 

Here is another article quoting Jeff Pippenger, spokesperson for Future for America:

The Prophet Speaketh

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Apart from full-page newspaper ads, it isn't clear what this cult spends its money on. Its 2018 IRS 990 indicates that only one board member gets paid, and pretty modestly at that ($41,800). They do spend about $130K a year on travel, ca $68K on "ministry expenses," and nearly $125K on contract labor. 

Hmm. Is that one board member also the guy in charge, I wonder? I haven't looked to check. 

If it is, that sounds like a good deal. You don't need much salary if your travel and food and housing ("ministry expenses") are already paid for, and you have plenty of labor to do any work or maintenance you need done. 

Wait, I think I just described Gwen Shamblin Lara...

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Wait, I think I just described Gwen Shamblin Lara...

Ha ha!  When I first read about their School of the Prophets, I thought about good ol' Gwen Shamblin Lara.  Of course, she is a prophet in her own right (or her own mind), but I bet she'd be interested in gaining an honorary degree from this School to shore up her credentials.  ?

I found this short descriptor of the mission on the form @hoipolloi provided:

World wide evangelism tours that encompass week long Bible prophecy schools and distribution of monthly newsletter and tapes to subscriber list of 500.

I wonder where they travel?  I picture them following in Bro Gary's wake, but maybe they can afford hotel rooms.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Is that one board member also the guy in charge, I wonder?

It's the woman listed as their treasurer who's the paid board member. 

Could see my fundie-wack cousin subscribing to this cult's newsletter since he has repeatedly warned family about various end dates for the world, but he also goes to a local church in his town so he's not likely to be sending these asshats his money.

• Upvote 1