IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

Prince Philip turns 99 today, confirming the belief that evil never dies. In the light of recent news stories and civil unrest, hopefully he is keeping his mouth shut because I think he’s a pretty well known racist. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Well, as he's 'retired' (from what? LOL) he doesn't seem to go anywhere that someone might catch him spouting any of his racist comments, so I doubt we'll be hearing anything from him on the subject again. Thankfully.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve had NO good opinion of him since I read the story of the secret service man he hit in the head with a newspaper because the secret service agent wouldn’t move the car he was chauffeuring the Prince & HRM around in. The agent had good reason not to. 

But that’s not the end of it. That evening a little old man in service to the royal high-ass came to the agents hotel room to deliver a conciliatory invitation to drinks or something from Philip. The agent sardonically said “thanks but no thanks” — and the little old courtier pleaded: “If I take back your refusal, the prince will have me fired. I’m months away from retiring, but the prince has the power to sack me without a pension. Please, won’t you say yes?”

The agent was touched and horrified and accepted the invitation to save the little old man’s financial future. At that point, who wouldn’t?  But Philip is down there almost as far as his blasted spawn Andrew, as far as I’m concerned.  Despicable old ghoul! 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Andrew probably did not come to his despicable ways by being brought up to be responsible, kind to all, and considerate of other people.  

• Upvote 13

BRF facing a $44.5 Million shortfall

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/25/royal-family-faces-nearly-45-million-shortfall-due-to-the-coronavirus.html

could want’

Always follow this ’30/30/3 rule’ before buying a home, says finance expert

The best rewards cards could earn you $2,000 over 5 years

Money

British royal family faces nearly $45 million shortfall due to the coronavirus

Published Fri, Sep 25 202011:32 AM EDT

Vicky McKeever@vmckeevercnbc

Queen Elizabeth II departs in her Bentley car after attending Sunday service at the Church of St Mary Magdalene on the Sandringham estate on January 12, 2020 in King’s Lynn, England.

Max Mumby/Indigo

The British royal family is facing a £35 million ($44.5 million) hit to its finances as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.   

Michael Stevens, the keeper of the privy purse, who essentially manages the royal family’s finances, said the coronavirus would impact the “sovereign grant” that the monarchy receives from the government, funded by taxpayers.

Annual profits from the Crown Estate, essentially the royal portfolio of property and land, from the two years’ previous is factored into calculating the sovereign grant. 

Stevens explained in a briefing, ahead of the release of the royal family’s annual financial report on Friday, that the Crown Estate had forecast its net profit for this year would fall “significantly.” 

The sovereign grant cannot fall, he added, but this does mean for 2022/23 it would be held at £86.3 million — it stood at £82.4 million this year.

As a result, Stevens said the refurbishing project on Buckingham Palace was forecast to receive over £20 million less in funding from the sovereign grant. The 10-year project was agreed to cost £369 million but the shortfall in funding means a total of £349 million will be spent on the work at the palace. 

The Royal Collection Trust, or RCT, which is the charity that maintains the monarchy’s art collection and is funded by visitor admissions to occupied royal palaces, would also be affected, Stevens said. The RCT supplements the sovereign grant. 

A fall in visitors due to the pandemic was therefore expected to mean a “significant” drop in income for the RCT.

“This forms the bulk of a projected shortfall in income which we estimate will be around £5 million per year for the next three years,” said Stevens, equating to another £15 million on top of the £20 million shortfall from the sovereign grant. 

Stevens added: “In responding to these challenges, we have no intention of asking for extra funding but will look to manage the impact through our own efforts and efficiencies.”

Buckingham Palace is reportedly not planning any layoffs and will instead cover the losses using efficiency savings.

• Upvote 1

So wait: the sovereign grant isn’t their only source of income, is it? And amount they receive from it  depends on profits from the Crown Estate?

• 4 months later...

News reports say Charles was in to visit for 30 minutes and left with tears in his eyes.  This doesn’t sound promising with the visiting restrictions. 

• Sad 7

Elderly people can be hard to treat and not cooperative if they scared, confused and feeling terrible and Prince Phillip can be ornery at the best of times . Its not impossible Charles may have visited to calm him down and speak reason.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

It had to have been something beyond minor for Charles to have been driven 100 miles each way for a 30 minute visit.  

I hadn't realized Highgrove was that far away from London.  

• Upvote 7

I think Phillip’s health concerns are more serious than they’re letting on. Hopefully Harry is able to get home and say goodbye. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

He is 99. Any health issue is deadly serious. I truly believe Harry will be there ASAP when his Grandfathers time is near and will want to be there for his Grandmother naturally because whatever else happened in his life he loves and respects them as all the grandchildren do. 

On more somber note I see Elizabeth going down very quickly when Philip dies. Losing literally the only man she ever loved since she was 13 and her Rock for over 70 years may me just too much. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

On more somber note I see Elizabeth going down very quickly when Philip dies. Losing literally the only man she ever loved since she was 13 and her Rock for over 70 years may me just too much. 

I agree, that’s very common in elderly couples. 

• Upvote 5

I can’t find any online news sources verifying the lunchtime news ... I think they might have jumped the gun and I’m really sorry to post without having evidence. 

• Thank You 5

9 hours ago, adidas said:

I can’t find any online news sources verifying the lunchtime news ... I think they might have jumped the gun and I’m really sorry to post without having evidence. 

I follow a lot of royal watching accounts online. Nothing indicating this has come across. Prince William at an engagement today was asked and said he’s doing okay. 

• Thank You 2

https://people.com/royals/prince-william-gives-an-update-on-his-grandfather-prince-philip-whos-in-the-hospital/

Prince William mentioned at an engagement that Prince Philip is okay and they're keeping an eye on him. He also gave a wink, which I don't think he'd do if it was dire. So it appears that Philip isn't quite at death's door just yet, which must be relieving to the Queen and family. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

While I don’t think Wiliam would give any real update on the DoE if it was extremely serious, I highly doubt we will see any news outlet spill the news BEFORE BP. 
I mean, at 99 almost everything is life threatening and you can very well walk into hospital but only to come out feet first. The man could just drop dead any second without warning. 
I still wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out one ok one last time.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update about Prince Philip.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20210303108099/duchess-of-cornwall-shares-health-update-prince-philip/

Camilla, 73, said of her 99-year-old father-in-law: "We heard today that he's slightly improving, so that's very good news. We'll keep our fingers crossed."

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

Could explain Charles visit. He might have the right of attorney- signing if the needed documents to proceed any treatments. 
I will say- if I reach 99 in respectable health (physically and mentally) I would try to make the 100. And then just pray to drop that on my sleep.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Prince Philip has been transferred back to the private hospital where he's expected to remain for an undisclosed time. 

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-gets-new-corgis-keep-company/

The Queen gets new corgis! I thought she was done getting puppies, but it's nice to see this tradition has continued after a couple months break. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic