IGNORED

Maxwell 39: Like Sands Through an Hour Glass, so Are the Vests of Our Lives

Coconut Flan

18 hours ago, Hane said:

@Maggie Mae, and to top it off, Becky was *pleased* with that movie! She said it depicted her and the camp exactly how she wanted to be depicted!

I ended up rewatching it. Growing up fundie seems so very the opposite of the joy they go on and on about. They aren't allowed to tell ghost stories, or listen to most music, read books that aren't explicitly Christian. The parents in the film were evasive in answering kids questions. But the thing that stood out during the bowling alley scene was that after Rachael talked to the woman in the bowling alley, she had to go back and discuss it with the youth leader. She wasn't allowed to say "I thought I should go say something to them but it took me a minute to gather my courage." nope, she was coaxed into saying that she "wanted to be sure God wanted" her to talk to those people. 

The film is hard to watch in our current circumstances. 

• Upvote 9

13 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I’ve heard about this college in other threads, but is it really that bad?? Like worse than Bob Jones bad? I may need to carve some time out of my day to jump down their rabbit hole for a bit!

Yes. Much. IDK where they're at more recently (and I have heard that Bob Jones allows pants for girls now, so...) but let me put it this way: whereas the fundie-lite school my sister attended mandated padded bras to avoid what they referred to as "headlights," supposedly Hyles-Anderson tells girls to use bandaids ? I vaguely remember reading something about how "preacher boys" who had an "in" with the admin could select engagement rings from the collection they had on hand from particularly harsh sermons about the necessity of "giving until it hurts" which would result in engagement rings being deposited in the offering plate by students who felt guilty for not giving enough. Not to mention it's tied in with FIrst Baptist in Hammond which had Jack Schaap (who is Jack Hyles' son-in-law) ??

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 7

6 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Just looked up Hyles-Anderson College and the website has very little information on it. 

Of course - if they actually advertised the crazy, no one would go!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Gross, they have programs for "specifically for men" and "specifically for ladies". 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

If anyone is interested, their catalog is online and has some eye-opening information. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I didn't mean to confuse people.  I thought it was clear enough that I quoted the text of Mary's plaque and credited the one i posted with a link to Twitter.

Don’t apologise, I’m very easily confused! ??

Besides that Twitter one is exactly what I could see a Maxwell hanging in their home. Just a reminder about being miserable.....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Reasons please why rules at this college say Men may bring a bookcase for their room, but Ladies may not?!!

Ladies' rooms, are allowed only one refrigerator, but men's rooms two?!!

Fundie logic just amazes me......

AND I've just seen the prospectus for a two year course to become an Associate of Science in Marriage and Motherhood

Edited by Sops2
Addition
  • Upvote 5
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Don’t apologise, I’m very easily confused! ??

Besides that Twitter one is exactly what I could see a Maxwell hanging in their home. Just a reminder about being miserable.....

@CyborgKin, That’s why I was confused about it, too. It’s absolutely something they could have!

• I Agree 1

As someone who majored in astrophysics in college, I'm very curious about their astronomy course, which they say covers "factual" astronomy and only touches on "extra-galactic nebulae". Are they saying the Shaply-Curtis Debate was settled in favor of the Milky Way as the entire universe?

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

Reasons please why rules at this college say Men may bring a bookcase for their room, but Ladies may not?!!

AND I've just seen the prospectus for a two year course to become an Associate of Science in Marriage and Motherhood

Easy. Men will need a bookcase because they're going to become preachers and need to begin amassing their library of Greek/Hebrew dictionaries and lexicons. Ladies will be learning about things like how to organize the church nursery schedule and get people signed up for potlucks and how often to dust the ceiling fans. They won't need books for that. As for the refrigerators, it's because college men are hungry and college ladies are already supposed to be watching their figures so half as much food should suffice. Jack Schaap preached a sermon once on how it's a woman's duty for the rest of her life to stay the exact same weight/shape that she was on her wedding day. If she was rail-thin, she is to stay rail-thin. If she was obese, she is to stay obese. She owes it to her husband. ?

I keep using the vomit emoji a lot today...

• Upvote 3
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 5

Depending on where Jesse landed in the greater KC area, he could be within 15-20 minutes from the fathership.  The Max compound is in the southern 'burbs' of Leavenworth, and if Jesse and Anna are in Shawnee (big KC burb), there is a four-lane state highway that connects them.  I live in the urban core, and make frequent trips to Fort Leavenworth (DH is a retiree), and I can make it in 25 minutes.

Also, my guess is that Jesse is attending the big Countryside (Baptist) church on the south side of town.  I do have a strong connection to the Countryside (Disciples of Christ) church through a family member, and it wouldn't be super hard to see if he's joined there.  But that doesn't seem their style, really.

And I would be surprised if they are building a house somewhere in KC.  The housing market here is nuts right now.  My daughter is buying a house, and unless they are buying in the urban core (as if), I don't think he'd clear enough from the Leavenworth house to afford anything else out in the burbs (unless he took out a mortgage).  Do we know how much his place sold for?

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, MaryatHome said:

Depending on where Jesse landed in the greater KC area, he could be within 15-20 minutes from the fathership.

Wasn't there much weeping when Joe moved almost a mile away?  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

@anjulibai,  I think that is so cool that you majored in astrophysics!  I wanted to be an astronomer for a few years when I was growing up and I still have my old telescope. ( It needs a better tripod.)  One of my five-year old granddaughters is very into things celestial, especially the moon, at the moment and I hope her interest sticks.  I wish that Neil DeGrasse Tyson would write Astrophysics for Really Little People in a Hurry, but maybe I should just give Kerri a copy of H.A. and Marguerite Rey's The Stars: A New Way to See Them.  That book is so helpful in visualizing the constellations.

I also went through my marine biology phase and my 10 year-old granddaughter who wants to be an ichthyologist. I think it's really cool that I have two granddaughters who are interested in the sciences.  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Sops2 said:

So there are a ton of things wrong with the college but it does say the reason ladies can only bring 1 is because of electricity in the building. The dorms are completely different- and I wonder if the ladies' dorms are older and they have blown through a lot of fuses.  

Now the reason they have completely separate majors/course requirements baffles me. As well as the fact that there is a major that is "Missionary Wife."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't remember specific weeping for Joe's long-distance exodus from the mothership but I KNOW there was much weeping when Nate moved...all the way across the street.

11 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Now the reason they have completely separate majors/course requirements baffles me. As well as the fact that there is a major that is "Missionary Wife."

I can take a stab at that one too - missionaries today are usually seen as equal partners in ministry, or the wife has her own "thing" that she's doing (running a school, or maybe a crisis pregnancy center) in conjunction with her husband's preaching/evangelizing, particularly if their children are grown. A generation or two ago, the wife's role on the field was much more just "support the husband and run the home." So it could be a track designed to help the wives-to-be in one or the other of those roles. Given that it's Hyles-Anderson...it's probably the latter.

I wonder how you know when to sign up for that track, though? Unless you go there already pretty firmly attached to an upperclassman majoring in missions, how do you declare a "missionary wife" major?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@anjulibai,  I think that is so cool that you majored in astrophysics!  I wanted to be an astronomer for a few years when I was growing up and I still have my old telescope. ( It needs a better tripod.)  One of my five-year old granddaughters is very into things celestial, especially the moon, at the moment and I hope her interest sticks.  I wish that Neil DeGrasse Tyson would write Astrophysics for Really Little People in a Hurry, but maybe I should just give Kerri a copy of H.A. and Marguerite Rey's The Stars: A New Way to See Them.  That book is so helpful in visualizing the constellations.

I also went through my marine biology phase and my 10 year-old granddaughter who wants to be an ichthyologist. I think it's really cool that I have two granddaughters who are interested in the sciences.  

Try the Science for Babies books by Chris Ferrie for your granddaughter. They say babies, but they are actually pretty good explanations for anyone on a host of science topics, but mainly modern physics. I have four of them for my boys, now 8 and almost 4, who know have a pretty good understanding of the basics of general relativity. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Those of you with kids interested in science, keep an eye out for this set of books - “Mickey Wonders Why.” Each book answers several questions with about one paragraph. The illustrations are bright and interesting. My set is currently making its way around the neighborhood - I have started loaning my kids’ books out since families have been stuck at home. 

I’m not sure what age range I’d assign to these - maybe 5-8 - but we, as adults, found them fun and interesting too. 

0C57E3E3-8EFF-4C93-AC70-67A4079CD9A4.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

As someone who majored in astrophysics in college, I'm very curious about their astronomy course, which they say covers "factual" astronomy and only touches on "extra-galactic nebulae". Are they saying the Shaply-Curtis Debate was settled in favor of the Milky Way as the entire universe?

I'd guess the focus of the course is on the Star of Bethlehem.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Is there a course on how to please your man? Or how to make a sandwich?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I believe it was Nathan. When he got married & moved across the back yard, they cried like he'd died as he was no longer part of the family. 

At least that is the one they wrote about. 

I wonder if it was obsessive weeping with Jesse, being the last boy and all? When Nathan left, they at least still had four boys at home to keep under their thumb. Now, with Jesse gone, it's only the girls left at home. 

Today they're rambling about making boys into men because Steve has Joshua hanging at his side while he "works". Because, you know, no tire changing or tree trimming for the girls. They need to stay inside & dust ceiling fans & polish cabinets. Boys get to do manly men stuff from a young age.

Their world is so damn narrow it's painful to see sometimes. 

And Hyles-Anderson - if you have a penis, you can study Media. Not if you have a vagina though. 

*Oh, I'm wrong. Girls can study media. They just have their own special, female program. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 13

10 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Is there a course on how to please your man? Or how to make a sandwich?

No but they have Crockpot Cooking, How to Cook for Guests, Home Decorating, and How to Schedule Your Time! My question is what happens if a girl graduates with this degree and hasn’t found a man yet? Because this is without a doubt the ultimate MRS degree. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

I think the biggest reason why they all flipped over Nathan leaving was because it was the first. It was all so new to them. They hadn’t experienced it and didn’t know how often they would see him. But they likely soon realized they still saw him often since he lived so close. The youngest 5 kids were all still underage so I can’t blame kids for flipping out about their oldest brother leaving. It’s Steve and Teri that would make me side eye. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

I asked why the girls weren't invited to learn with grandpa too.....not expecting that comment to get through! Makes me so mad!

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic