IGNORED

Maxwell 39: Like Sands Through an Hour Glass, so Are the Vests of Our Lives

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Magnolia seems to be quite trendy for a girl these days. It was on my sister's short list (not my style, but whatever) and I know at least 2 in the under 3 crowd with that name.

It’s one of the names Braggie Abbie used for her twins, shortened to Nola. Abbie’s twins are older than three, though. 

I wouldn’t ever name a kid Braxton. “Oh, like the contractions?” would be the constant response to that name. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Sarah made a post today talking like Covid-19 is suddenly over ?.

This thinking really makes me scared for Anna Marie. At least she’s in another state.

Yeah. And Mary went to an Urgent Care for her ankle? And then was cozying up to GiGi within days?

I'm not going near anybody who's high risk right now and I would double down on that if I'd been anywhere near a medical facility. I even found a go-between to do a human-contact-less dropoff for the masks I donated to the hospital a couple months back.

I'm probably too paranoid. The Maxes, clearly, aren't paranoid enough.

• Upvote 14

@ElizaB, my daughter uses excellent grammar, but she’s admitted that, though she knows good from bad grammar, she can’t explain *why* a formation is correct or incorrect. Like you, she listens to people, and also reads a lot.

I attribute my grammatical expertise to my hot young male sixth grade teacher, who gave us little grammar books from the 1930s and drummed the content into our heads.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I kept trying to remember where I heard Axton's name.  Not close, but towards the end.......

Edited by daisyjane1234
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I kept trying to remember where I heard Axton's name.  Not close, but towards the end.......

Xmus jaxon flaxon Waxon. Now we know Chelsy’s next choice! I love Key and Peele.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, usmcmom said:

A little branch-out on the topic of names. Ny mother and I once had a fun discussion about “old” names and “young” names. We decided she has an “old” name and finally aged into it at about age 40. I have a very “young” name and probably aged out of it at age 20.  Do any of you ever think about a name sounding old or young?

All the time! My name was solidly fashionable for decades but has been dropping like a rock in popularity for the last 30 years, so I expect it'll be widely considered an old-person name within another generation. (And come back in vogue sometime after I'm pining for the fjords.) In contrast to DH's name, which is also common as dirt but doesn't seem to be falling out of favor half as quickly.

1 hour ago, Hane said:

*drumroll* Presenting...

probably the most awkward sentence Sarah has ever written, and that’s saying A LOT:

“Day before the wedding a run was in order along a beautiful area for we girls.”

Translation: “The day before the wedding, we girls went for a run in a beautiful area.” 

And it’s “for *us* girls.” The object of a preposition takes an objective pronoun. But the Maxhellions don’t read, they write, so that’s why they suck at it.

Thank you for paraphrasing it. I thought I was going to need a Yoda translator after the first pass.

Edited by Naga Viper
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Mom is so faithful to homeschool the children.

Does she mean Mom is faithfully homeschooling the children?  Mom faithfully homeschools the children? Or does she mean something else like Mom is so kind/generous/dedicated to homeschool the children? Mom homeschools the children faithfully? 

I'm so confused. 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Snarfblatt said:

Does she mean Mom is faithfully homeschooling the children?  Mom faithfully homeschools the children? Or does she mean something else like Mom is so kind/generous/dedicated to homeschool the children? Mom homeschools the children faithfully? 

I'm so confused. 

It's fundie-speak. Means she can be counted on to come through. Usually styled as something like "God is faithful to provide for our needs" but can be applied to people.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Riker's Island is a rather infamous jail in New York City.  It's really hardcore.

I bought a box of Milkbone's "Bones for Friends" the other day.  Some of the bones have doggie names on them, but I'll almost certainly find neither of my dog's names in the box.  There is a Daisey on the front of the box which is the cat's name and the spelling is the one that the rescue group gave her.  I just dropped the "e" in the spelling.  The first name bone that I pulled out was the name of my granddog, Charlie.  

Magnolia Hawks is the main character in the musical Show Boat, but that is almost certainly not where the use of Magnolia currently comes from.  It comes from those odious Gaineses.  

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I

t’s one of the names Braggie Abbie used for her twins, shortened to Nola. Abbie’s twins are older than three, though. 

Magnolia--Nolie iirc was the girl in Showboat by Edna Ferber. She marries gambler Gaylord Ravenal

I wouldn’t ever name a kid Braxton. “Oh, like the contractions?” would be the constant response to that name. 

General Braxton Bragg was a Confederate general in the Civil War

And, is Grammarly.com forbidden in Steveland?

Edited by IReallyAmHopewell
Did it wrong
  • Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

General Braxton Bragg was a Confederate general in the Civil War

And a pretty sucky one at that. He was quite incompetent, yet has a giant US Army base named after him [at least for now. ?]

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

And a pretty sucky one at that. He was quite incompetent, yet has a giant US Army base named after him [at least for now. ?]

I'm pretty confused about why a US army base would be named after the leader of an army that opposed the US and lost!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Riker's Island is a rather infamous jail in New York City.  It's really hardcore.

I bought a box of Milkbone's "Bones for Friends" the other day.  Some of the bones have doggie names on them, but I'll almost certainly find neither of my dog's names in the box.  There is a Daisey on the front of the box which is the cat's name and the spelling is the one that the rescue group gave her.  I just dropped the "e" in the spelling.  The first name bone that I pulled out was the name of my granddog, Charlie.  

Magnolia Hawks is the main character in the musical Show Boat, but that is almost certainly not where the use of Magnolia currently comes from.  It comes from those odious Gaineses.  

This is why I don’t like the name Ryker on a kid. It’s a horrible prison. Every time I hear a baby named Braxton, I must kill the urge to ask if his last name is Hicks. Because it’s always what I think of. Sometimes name associations are so strong amongst our culture, that it’s not a great choice. Names like Adolph and Dick come to mind as well.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

He was involved in more than the Civil War, but I agree--not much of a choice for that base. Surely some Green Beret legend of the like would be a better choice.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh, I agree! Just showing another source related to the South like Braxton Bragg

• Upvote 5

I actually have a friend named Braxton, he’s a twin and his twin’s name does actually sound close to Hicks, which I never realized until people said something in this thread about thinking about the contractions when they hear the name Braxton. I also really like the name Magnolia because I really love the flowers and we have so many of them here in the south, but it’s become such a popular name these days that I’ll never pick it. I can’t bring myself to ever name my kids something that’s trendy unless I’m 1000% in love with the name. I’m really interested to see what name Chelsy comes up with for this baby to see if a pattern emerges. 

• Upvote 3

Kori Wissmann just names her baby Jaxon. Let’s hope that wasn’t on chelsy’s Short list of names. We can’t have two fundie babies with the name Jaxon born in June 2020. Especially if one has the last name Maxwell. I’m over the x name craze.

• Upvote 10

12 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I'm pretty confused about why a US army base would be named after the leader of an army that opposed the US and lost!

The states hosting the bases got to pick the names.

Edited by Dysfundamental
Typing mishap!
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kori Wissmann just names her baby Jaxon. Let’s hope that wasn’t on chelsy’s Short list of names. We can’t have two fundie babies with the name Jaxon born in June 2020. Especially if one has the last name Maxwell. I’m over the x name craze.

There's always Jaxton. Or Maxton.

Scratch that last one. That's too over-the-top even for the Maxwells.

Edited by Bethy
because "Maxton Maxwell" is unthinkable...I hope
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Maybe she's going with an "A" theme.

In which case I predict Ajax.

Ajax Maxwell.

Some other possibilities:  Alan, Adam, or Hoyt. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Dysfundamental said:

The states hosting the bases got to pick the names.

I would like to see Fort Benning in GA named after Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman in honor of him burning Atlanta.

Edited by SPHASH
Spellcheck
  • Upvote 5

18 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I actually have a friend named Braxton, he’s a twin and his twin’s name does actually sound close to Hicks, which I never realized until people said something in this thread about thinking about the contractions when they hear the name Braxton. I also really like the name Magnolia because I really love the flowers and we have so many of them here in the south, but it’s become such a popular name these days that I’ll never pick it. I can’t bring myself to ever name my kids something that’s trendy unless I’m 1000% in love with the name. I’m really interested to see what name Chelsy comes up with for this baby to see if a pattern emerges. 

I don't think it ever occurred to me till I wrote my post the other day about Marge not being a name for a kid that Marge and Maggie Simpson are basically the same name as they are both diminutives of Margaret.  You'd probably find it more common to find that mothers and first-born daughters to share a name than a mother and a second-born or later. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

The only Axton I knew of prior to this was actor/songwriter Hoyt Axton, who composed Three Dog Night’s “Joy To The World.”  And “Braxton” reminds me of the St. Jude’s pre-roll ad:  “Braxton was diagnosed with choriod plexus carcinoma, a brain tumor...”

(I looked it up, and Braxton is apparently in remission and doing well , but I am so.tired. of that ad.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I was looking at audiobooks online the other day and came across an author named Axton Betz-Hamilton.  First time I've seen that first name aside from Chelsy and John's Axton.

Axton Betz-Hamilton is a female, btw.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

I was just reading on Websleuths and someone made reference to Sherlock Holmes and suddenly I wondered if Mycroft Maxwell will be born soon.

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic