IGNORED

Maxwell 39: Like Sands Through an Hour Glass, so Are the Vests of Our Lives

Coconut Flan

Sarah made a post today talking like Covid-19 is suddenly over ?.

This thinking really makes me scared for Anna Marie. At least she’s in another state.

• Upvote 15

I will say though that the Maxwell’s tend to self isolate anyway. They don’t travel around in the bus anymore and the church in the nursing home is probably going to be shut down for a long time. I know the Maxwell’s do mix with others but I think they are a little less of a risk than the Duggars or Rods. Only because they tend to mostly socialize with the Maxwell family.

• Upvote 13

Is it just me or is Teri wasting away? I hate to comment on people's physical appearance but it worries me that Teri has to follow Steve's strict diet for his heart condition but might lose too much weight in the process.

*Disclaimer: I I'm not her doctor and I don't know what Teri's healthy weight should be, this is a broader question around her submission to Steve and doing something for his sake that might not be healthy for HER.*

712248596_ScreenShot2020-06-10at10_43_46AM.png.dd8c9e263ce06ca31de93c42f13cb61d.png1481144616_ScreenShot2020-06-10at10_43_56AM.png.ce056b647e07b3f6a2a03c400dfa7821.png

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Is it just me or is Teri wasting away? I hate to comment on people's physical appearance but it worries me that Teri has to follow Steve's strict diet for his heart condition but might lose too much weight in the process.

*Disclaimer: I I'm not her doctor and I don't know what Teri's healthy weight should be, this is a broader question around her submission to Steve and doing something for his sake that might not be healthy for HER.*

712248596_ScreenShot2020-06-10at10_43_46AM.png.dd8c9e263ce06ca31de93c42f13cb61d.png1481144616_ScreenShot2020-06-10at10_43_56AM.png.ce056b647e07b3f6a2a03c400dfa7821.png

I understand being supportive of your spouse in his new healthy diet. But since these two live the life of patriarchy, I think Teri is likely being dragged into this diet whether she wants to or not. Which isn’t fair in my opinion.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 10

For having such a clean lifestyle, Steve and Teri do not appear to be aging well at all. They remind of my parents who each have almost 20 years on the Maxwells. Like many people over 80, my parents don’t eat much and are thin. Terri could easily pass for this age group. I wonder what Teri really thinks about how she has led (been forced?) to live her life. She a bigger martyr than many folks who live in cloistered, religious communities. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

For having such a clean lifestyle, Steve and Teri do not appear to be aging well at all. They remind of my parents who each have almost 20 years on the Maxwells. Like many people over 80, my parents don’t eat much and are thin. Terri could easily pass for this age group. I wonder what Teri really thinks about how she has led (been forced?) to live her life. She a bigger martyr than many folks who live in cloistered, religious communities. 

My great grandpa lived to be 100 and no one thought he looked his age at all. Part of it was the fact that he never got overly thin. He wasn’t fat or anything. He just never lost his appetite and was always a decent weight. 

• Upvote 12

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My great grandpa lived to be 100 and no one thought he looked his age at all. Part of it was the fact that he never got overly thin. He wasn’t fat or anything. He just never lost his appetite and was always a decent weight. 

One of my SIL carries a bit more weight than the rest of us. We are all late 50s to mid 60s. She actually is aging the best, especially her skin. There is something to be said for having more fat under the skin to hold it all up, especially the face and neck.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

One of my SIL carries a bit more weight than the rest of us. We are all late 50s to mid 60s. She actually is aging the best, especially her skin. There is something to be said for having more fat under the skin to hold it all up, especially the face and neck.

Definitely. 

I read once that extra weight when you are young ages you. But extra weight when you are old makes you look more youthful. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

A little branch-out on the topic of names. Ny mother and I once had a fun discussion about “old” names and “young” names. We decided she has an “old” name and finally aged into it at about age 40. I have a very “young” name and probably aged out of it at age 20.  Do any of you ever think about a name sounding old or young? 

My kids both have fairly common names but they were not real common when they were born. I like classic boy names like Michael, David, Richard.  But I have such a huge family, all those names had been used at least twice when my son was born. My mom often made comments about my son’s “strange” name and I’d ask her which standard name was unused in our family. She had no answer. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

A little branch-out on the topic of names. Ny mother and I once had a fun discussion about “old” names and “young” names. We decided she has an “old” name and finally aged into it at about age 40. I have a very “young” name and probably aged out of it at age 20.  Do any of you ever think about a name sounding old or young? 

My kids both have fairly common names but they were not real common when they were born. I like classic boy names like Michael, David, Richard.  But I have such a huge family, all those names had been used at least twice when my son was born. My mom often made comments about my son’s “strange” name and I’d ask her which standard name was unused in our family. She had no answer. 

Yes, UGGGG- My husband’s large, Irish Catholic family is very boy heavy. Our son is the youngest grandson and by the time he was born, all the standard names that we liked, were already used. We did give him the same first name as one of my husband’s cousins. It was obviously a common enough name as there were 2 other boys in my son’s class of 35, with that name. My MIL asked why we gave him a “Hebrew” name! Yep, she was a peach.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

This is why I really like names with common nicknames that sound young. Both of my kids go by young sounding nicknames and when they are adults, they can go by their full name. Their full names sound much more adult. For example: they are named Thomas but go by Tommy as a child. And when they are grown, they can go by Tom or Thomas. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Definitely. 

I read once that extra weight when you are young ages you. But extra weight when you are old makes you look more youthful. 

Now that I am in my 50's, my face definitely looks much younger with a bit of extra weight.

Which is a good thing right now because between orthopaedic surgery, the lack of mobility leading up to it for a couple of years, quarantine and depression over a merger that is making me lose my job in one day  - - I am carrying quite a bit of extra weight. More than I've ever carried in my life. My clothes won't fit, but my face won't be wrinkly/saggy when I interview for jobs - and these video interviews do nothing for the natural state of one's face! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 9

@usmcmom,  I know exactly what you're saying about old versus young names.  For example,  the name Marge immediately brings a middle-aged woman, or at least a mom, to mind.  I've thought this since before The Simpsons, btw.  Margie would be better for a girl.  Or Maggie.  I think that Maggie Simpson rescued the name from incipient old-maid status.  

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Didn't Jesse sell his rental house and we never heard about him buying another?

He did. Oh, maybe....maybe they're playing us! Maybe the big "new house" reveal is coming after about 3 months of teaser wedding pictures. LOL

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Ryker

Isn't this a prison? Ryker's Island or something??

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

My guess: Ryker for a boy. Magnolia for a girl. 

Magnolia seems to be quite trendy for a girl these days. It was on my sister's short list (not my style, but whatever) and I know at least 2 in the under 3 crowd with that name.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I’ve told this story somewhere on FJ before...but I like it so much I’ll tell it again. ? I went to a Catholic girls’ high school in the 70s. There were some big families among my classmates, but my favorite was the one who had one son and something like 10 or 12 daughters. They had daughters at that high school from 1969 to 1990. And every one of them was named Mary with a unique middle name, which, of course, is what they went by. 

As for those damn gift shops in the 60s, none of them ever had anything with my name on it. I REALLY wanted a license plate for my bike with my name on it when I was 7 years old!!! It didn’t help that my brothers’ names were on everything fun, but I was limited to a vacuum cleaner and a brand of vinegar. 

• Upvote 12

36 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

I’ve told this story somewhere on FJ before...but I like it so much I’ll tell it again. ? I went to a Catholic girls’ high school in the 70s. There were some big families among my classmates, but my favorite was the one who had one son and something like 10 or 12 daughters. They had daughters at that high school from 1969 to 1990. And every one of them was named Mary with a unique middle name, which, of course, is what they went by. 

Were they of German descent by any chance?  That's a tradition in parts of my family as well, going back a ways.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HoneyBunny said:

As for those damn gift shops in the 60s, none of them ever had anything with my name on it. I REALLY wanted a license plate for my bike with my name on it when I was 7 years old!!! It didn’t help that my brothers’ names were on everything fun, but I was limited to a vacuum cleaner and a brand of vinegar. 

Are you familiar with 5 Marys Farms in CA? The mom is named Mary and all four daughters... MaryFrances, MaryMarjorie, MaryJane, and MaryTeresa. They go by Francie, Maisie, JJ, and Tess. They have a really active IG account.

ETA: Catholic, as goes without saying probably.

Edited by ThisOrdinaryTime
  • Upvote 8

*drumroll* Presenting...

probably the most awkward sentence Sarah has ever written, and that’s saying A LOT:

“Day before the wedding a run was in order along a beautiful area for we girls.”

Translation: “The day before the wedding, we girls went for a run in a beautiful area.” 

And it’s “for *us* girls.” The object of a preposition takes an objective pronoun. But the Maxhellions don’t read, they write, so that’s why they suck at it.

• Upvote 24
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, Hane said:

*drumroll* Presenting...

probably the most awkward sentence Sarah has ever written, and that’s saying A LOT:

“Day before the wedding a run was in order along a beautiful area for we girls.”

Translation: “The day before the wedding, we girls went for a run in a beautiful area.” 

And it’s “for *us* girls.” The object of a preposition takes an objective pronoun. But the Maxhellions don’t read, they write, so that’s why they suck at it.

That bugged me too!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Hane said:

*drumroll* Presenting...

It bugged me too- but what is interesting is my grammar sucks so I couldn't tell you why it was wrong. I just knew it didn't sound right and it wasn't my years in good schools either. It was the fact that I actually talk to real human beings that made me realize how odd it sounded. 

Edited by ElizaB
spelling
  • Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic