IGNORED

Maxwell 39: Like Sands Through an Hour Glass, so Are the Vests of Our Lives

Coconut Flan

17 hours ago, Exchange Atheist said:

This is so good, thank you for the recommendation! I just got to the last published chapter and can’t wait for more. Love the explorations of gender and pronouns, and the diary entries of one of the children are amazing (trying not to spoil anything in case someone else wants to start reading). Do we have a thread for discussing fundie related fiction? 

If not, we need one!

There's threads about individual books including some fundie related in https://www.freejinger.org/forum/469-quiverfull-of-words/ so maybe start a specific thread for the story there?

On the latest blogpost, though the content is nice, Sarah's writing still rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by CyborgKin
to add something more directly Maxwell related!
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I know lots of tv intros, theme songs or other classic symbolism, not from ever having seen the shows, but from the spoofs in the early years of Saturday Night Live

I have the MAD Magazine parodies of many 1960s movies and TV shows still rattling around in my brain. I sometimes watch MeTV, and when they mention "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," my mind instantly thinks "Voyage to See What's on the Bottom," which was the title of the MAD parody.

Titles  that stuck in my head were"Loused up in Space," "The Man From AUNTIE," "Dr. Killjoy," "Mission: Ridiculous," "The Invasioners," and all of the teen dance shows lumped together for a parody called "Hullabadig au Go Go."

Films - Up the Down Staircase became "In the Out Exit." There was "Guess Who's Throwing up Dinner," "201 Minutes of a Space Idiocy," "Botch Casually and the Somedunce Kid," and "The Agony and the Agony."

Things I need to know are not up there, but this my brain insists on storing. :confusion-shrug:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 7

Nope, the original host was Art Fleming.  It used to come on in the morning on your NBC station.  Single Jeopardy went from $10 to $50 and Double Jeopardy doubled those amounts.  Many of the categories were the same like Potent Potables.  You could only win five times and then you retired as an Undefeated Champion.  I honestly prefer that.  You don't need to stay on Jeopardy forever.  I still remember a few champions from that era like Shep who was blue collar and, IIRC, knew a lot about opera.  He was an Undefeated Champion.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

If not, we need one!

There's threads about individual books including some fundie related in https://www.freejinger.org/forum/469-quiverfull-of-words/ so maybe start a specific thread for the story there?

Done :) Wouldn’t it be fun of this story was a secret side project of Sara? Maybe she actually can write well and just refuses to do so on the blog and in the Moody books. (A girl can dream.)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I have the MAD Magazine parodies of many 1960s movies and TV shows still rattling around in my brain. I sometimes watch MeTV, and when they mention "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," my mind instantly thinks "Voyage to See What's on the Bottom," which was the title of the MAD parody.

Titles  that stuck in my head were"Loused up in Space," "The Man From AUNTIE," "Dr. Killjoy," "Mission: Ridiculous," "The Invasioners," and all of the teen dance shows lumped together for a parody called "Hullabadig au Go Go."

Films - Up the Down Staircase became "In the Out Exit." There was "Guess Who's Throwing up Dinner," "201 Minutes of a Space Idiocy," "Botch Casually and the Somedunce Kid," and "The Agony and the Agony."

Things I need to know are not up there, but this my brain insists on storing. :confusion-shrug:

They had a piece on re-written famous things such as “The Lawyers’ Version of the Lord’s Prayer”:  “Our Father whose place of business is in Heaven...Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will, pursuant to terms and conditions, be done...For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and pending appeal, the glory forever, Amen.”*

and “The Surgeon General’s Warning, if written by a smoker”:  “Warning:  The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking is hazardous to your health, despite the fact that he’s never examined you personally, and for all we know, he could be a reformed smoker—and we all know what unreasonable fanatics they are!”

*That’s all I can remember 

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Nope, the original host was Art Fleming.  It used to come on in the morning on your NBC station.  Single Jeopardy went from $10 to $50 and Double Jeopardy doubled those amounts.  Many of the categories were the same like Potent Potables.  You could only win five times and then you retired as an Undefeated Champion.  I honestly prefer that.  You don't need to stay on Jeopardy forever.  I still remember a few champions from that era like Shep who was blue collar and, IIRC, knew a lot about opera.  He was an Undefeated Champion.  

I remember watching old school "Jeopardy" as a very young kid in the late 60s/early 70s and some guy won over $1000.  I remember thinking the person was now so rich.  My little child mind couldn't fathom having such a huge sum of cash.

And let's not forget the parting gifts...Turtle Wax, Encyclopedia Brittanica or Rice-A-Roni, anyone?   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

@thoughtful, when I was a sophomore in high school, I wrote a parody of “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” called “The Rime of the Ancient Sophomore” (whose contents I barely remember), and my English teacher thought it was good enough to submit to the school poetry contest. (I won third prize and ten bucks.) I had to meet with the *very* intimidating head of the English department, who sternly asked me whether I’d copied it from MAD. I huffily said, “No—I don’t read MAD,” to which he replied, “You should.” So I did, and immediately loved all the movie and TV parodies. One memorable one was a musical called “007,” with songs set to the tunes from “Oklahoma!” My mother sang all of them to me so I’d get the context.

MAD truly had its golden years in the late ‘60s.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Carry on here:

• Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic