IGNORED

ESPN 30 for 30 series

CTRLZero

My husband watched a documentary on Lance Armstrong and found it interesting, so when I noticed a segment on Bruce Lee, we decided to watch it together this evening.

I'm not sure what the 30 For 30 in the title means, but this documentary was completed in two one-hour segments.  Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco when his parents were touring with a Chinese opera company, so he was a US citizen.  The family moved back to Hong Kong after the tour concluded, and the documentary follows his early film career there.  In his teens, he returned to the US, and got interested in martial arts.  What I found most interesting was what a philosopher he was.  This documentary also touches on racial discrimination, civil rights, stereotypes, etc., which Bruce Lee and others discuss along the way through his career.

Lee died young.  A few years ago, we visited his grave site in Seattle, which was just down the street from where my husband lived as a child. 

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 12:36 AM, CTRLZero said:

My husband watched a documentary on Lance Armstrong and found it interesting, so when I noticed a segment on Bruce Lee, we decided to watch it together this evening.

I'm not sure what the 30 For 30 in the title means, but this documentary was completed in two one-hour segments.  Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco when his parents were touring with a Chinese opera company, so he was a US citizen.  The family moved back to Hong Kong after the tour concluded, and the documentary follows his early film career there.  In his teens, he returned to the US, and got interested in martial arts.  What I found most interesting was what a philosopher he was.  This documentary also touches on racial discrimination, civil rights, stereotypes, etc., which Bruce Lee and others discuss along the way through his career.

Lee died young.  A few years ago, we visited his grave site in Seattle, which was just down the street from where my husband lived as a child. 

I know this post is pretty old, but I just ventured into the Documentaries board for the first time. The 30 for 30 title comes from the origin of the ESPN documentary series. It was originally intended to be 30 documentaries produced to celebrate ESPN's 30th anniversary in 2009. There have been multiple "volumes" of 30 for 30 films, so I think the total is now in the hundreds. Some of my favorites (obviously depends on your interests) are The Two Escobars, The Day the Series Stopped, Of Miracles and Men, and Catholics vs. Convicts.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1