IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 13: Shut UP You Paper-Thin Chip Licker!

nelliebelle1197

What To Do About Binge Foods, she asks, and in a typical Gwen fashion, has no answer, beyond "Not-bingeing comes naturally for Thin Eaters, be a Thin Eater" 

Spoiler

What to do about “Binge Foods”

June 28, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

If you have had trouble with sweets all your life and you are still bingeing out, it is because you are focused on them to a fault. God made your taste buds. He made you, and He designed you to have likes and dislikes. He knows what your preferences are, so do not be afraid to have favorites, even if they sound as if they are fattening. Do you have a particular favorite food that you seem to have struggled with more than others? What is it? Chocolate, doughnuts, homemade bread? It is not unusual for a particular food to be one that involves years of conflict. Maybe it is a food that you have more passion about, maybe one that you have binged on before. You may even find that you can wait for hunger before eating the chocolate, but then stopping is harder. You want to eat it all! Let me reassure you that you can indeed rise above this passion for food, too.

You cannot force free-to-eat-anything populations into monotonous diets because the body will cue them to desire and consume a variety of foods. Thin Eaters in tune to the body will always eat a variety and they do not binge on one food item. More about this next time!

If your problem is bingeing on chocolate, not buying it seems like a sensible solution to me. But in Gwen's world you got to have chocolate handy so you can enjoy it and then feel guilty because you were not hungry and ate too much.

Starving yourself for hunger and then bingeing on chocolate and then beating yourself for it seems  like an eating-disorder behavior.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

What To Do About Binge Foods, she asks, and in a typical Gwen fashion, has no answer, beyond "Not-bingeing comes naturally for Thin Eaters, be a Thin Eater" 

Reveal hidden contents

What to do about “Binge Foods”

June 28, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

If you have had trouble with sweets all your life and you are still bingeing out, it is because you are focused on them to a fault. God made your taste buds. He made you, and He designed you to have likes and dislikes. He knows what your preferences are, so do not be afraid to have favorites, even if they sound as if they are fattening. Do you have a particular favorite food that you seem to have struggled with more than others? What is it? Chocolate, doughnuts, homemade bread? It is not unusual for a particular food to be one that involves years of conflict. Maybe it is a food that you have more passion about, maybe one that you have binged on before. You may even find that you can wait for hunger before eating the chocolate, but then stopping is harder. You want to eat it all! Let me reassure you that you can indeed rise above this passion for food, too.

You cannot force free-to-eat-anything populations into monotonous diets because the body will cue them to desire and consume a variety of foods. Thin Eaters in tune to the body will always eat a variety and they do not binge on one food item. More about this next time!

If your problem is bingeing on chocolate, not buying it seems like a sensible solution to me. But in Gwen's world you got to have chocolate handy so you can enjoy it and then feel guilty because you were not hungry and ate too much.

Starving yourself for hunger and then bingeing on chocolate and then beating yourself for it seems  like an eating-disorder behavior.

I TOTALLY relate to this! Not only is that an ED behavior, but then you're likely to end up with body dysmorphia. When I was at my lowest weight on WD ,I was told to "look in the mirror" to "see" if I "still had more weight to lose". Of COURSE I thought I still had "10 more lbs". Nowadays, when I look back on pictures of myself, I can see how thin I was and that I DIDN'T need to lose any additional weight. I was very obsessed with my weight and questioned my ability to know when I was hungry and when I had eaten "enough". It was a VERY SAD time for me. It has taken me almost two years to deal with the trauma that I experienced as a result of that program. I constantly doubted my "goodness", especially since I wasn't a member of the "true" church of RF. When I ended that program, my views about food were SO SKEWED. I ultimately ended up gaining twice the weight that I had lost and I feel pretty certain that I will NEVER diet again. I also stop eating naturally at the end of a meal without feeling like I HAVE TO stop at a certain point or that I need to eat past the feeling of having had enough. For several months, I felt triggered if I ended a meal prior to feeling stuffed. I didn't binge, but I needed to get REALLY FULL at MOST meals. I thought about food all the time when I was doing WD. For me, it was the "waiting to eat" diet.

Re: mind control...When you're participating in WD, you are encouraged to STAY IN A CLASS and ONLY listen to WD materials, which includes a LOT of Gwen's sermons. Her sermons center around" being under authority" and "obeying hunger and fullness", for the most part. It TOTALLY surprises me that her "Life with Gwen and Joe segment does not focus more on WD than it does. I won't allow myself to watch any of the Wednesday or Saturday night services or anything like that, so it's possible that she talks about it then.

Edited by freefromthin
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Blue said:

? I'm so sorry. I agree that self discipline and portion control is needed. Sometimes that's what makes it hard... I'm not saying every single word out of her mouth is wrong... The vast majority of doctors and nutrition experts will tell you to listen to your body... She's just taking it further to the point where we have relatives scared to eat because what if that wasn't a real growl. Tying weight and portion control to relationship with God is just so spiritually manipulative and dangerous (IMO).

Just know that for every member of remnant there are families behind them begging them to get out.

I agree completely, and please know that all conversations we have with our RF family and friends are full of grace, gentleness, and love. We believe strongly that all we can do is plant seeds and someday, when they're ready, maybe they'll think back to those conversations to get a new perspective.

I am sure you speak to your family members with love concerning this matter.  I also agree with you that Gwen is not completely wrong with all she says.  Even the followers and founders of other belief systems contain truths as well.  The problem with Gwen is that even though she justifies her position based on her interpretation of the Bible, the distortions are subtle enough to deceive many people.  I remember Billy Graham staying many years ago that there are people who get just enough exposure to religion that it acts more like an inoculation that exhibits them from receiving the whole Truth.  But, like you said all we can do is cast out the seeds and hope that they take root.  We should also pray that we are putting our own seeds as that may contaminate the garden.

it is most unfortunate that your family lives in fear of eating because of this.  There is no grace or mercy when one’s theology is anthropocentric and not theocentric.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Galale said:

The problem with Gwen is that even though she justifies her position based on her interpretation of the Bible, the distortions are subtle enough to deceive many people.  

Gwen just takes her biblical teachings to a bizarre extreme because she almost certainly has an eating disorder and instead of getting help she started a church. And having seen her videos I can't imagine she can actually have a theological discussion on anything. I personally think she picked dropping the trinity because she likes the idea of "looking" different and plus it is such an overly complicated abstract idea that it is pretty easy to say it doesn't make a lot of sense. But I bet she couldn't have a deep discussion on the trinity. She can barely compose a sentence that isn't some variation of don't eat. 

I was thinking of Gwen this morning, I was meeting friends for a short hike. Stuff happened and I rushed out without eating anything. The hike was a bit harder than I expected and I was starving. At no point did my stomach growl. Gwen's entire thing is waiting for the growl, but I'm not one who has a lot of stomach growls. I was ready to sell my soul for a granola bar, yet according to Gwen, I shouldn't have eaten because there was no growl. I then ended up inhaling a whole bunch of food when I got home because I was starving. If I had eaten a healthy breakfast I almost certainly wouldn't have ended up over eating a bit.

Gwen's teachings don't address things like this. Some people don't get a growl. For some people waiting till they are very, very hungry only makes it harder to stop eating. For some people eating any amount of junk food makes it harder to stop eating junk food. But Gwen can't admit that there are different paths for maintaining a healthy weight because her entire life is now wrapped up in saying she has found the One True Way. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, freefromthin said:

Re: mind control...When you're participating in WD, you are encouraged to STAY IN A CLASS and ONLY listen to WD materials, which includes a LOT of Gwen's sermons. Her sermons center around" being under authority" and "obeying hunger and fullness", for the most part. It TOTALLY surprises me that her "Life with Gwen and Joe segment does not focus more on WD than it does. I won't allow myself to watch any of the Wednesday or Saturday night services or anything like that, so it's possible that she talks about it then

Ah yes , and this falls under information control .  

Minimize or discourage access to non-cult sources of information, including:
a.                  Internet, TV, radio, books, articles, newspapers, magazines, other media
b.                  Critical information
c.                  Former members
d.                  Keep members busy so they don’t have time to think and investigate
e.                  Control through cell phone with texting, calls, internet tracking  5.  

Extensive use of cult-generated information and propaganda, including:
a.                  Newsletters, magazines, journals, audiotapes, videotapes, YouTube, movies and other media
b.                  Misquoting statements or using them out of context from non-cult sources 

https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/the-bite-model-of-influence/   

18 hours ago, Galale said:

My wife knows I have grave concerns about this group.  I had them when one of Gwen’s minions, I now refer to as Gwenions, and I had a phone conversation as to whether Jesus was the Son of God back when she tried to get us to join as online members.  His reply was that he is a son of God.

This would be an example of a half truth , rather than a blatant outright lie .  You see , even Solomon , in the Bible was referred to as being the son of God , only he wasn't the divine Son of God , of course . { https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+7+%3A8-16&version=NIV   ,  https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/the-son-of-god-is-the-son-of-david/ }  So their answer to you was certainly knowingly misleading , but to paraphrase a quote from " Star Wars " , it was true from a certain point of view .  

Spoiler

It's just that unbeknownst to you at the time , the point of view that is held by Remnant Fellowship is that of subordinationism  .  

Spoiler

Spoiler

But of course they won't tell outsiders that this is what is meant , as they divide doctrine into two categories ; one set for the outsiders , and the other for insiders  , "  Milk before meat " , as it pertains to information control .  

Deception:
a.                  Deliberately withhold information
b.                  Distort information to make it more acceptable
c.                  Systematically lie to the cult member  3. 

Compartmentalize information into Outsider vs. Insider doctrines
a.                  Ensure that information is not freely accessible
b.                  Control information at different levels and missions within group
c.                  Allow only leadership to decide who needs to know what and when 

-  https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/the-bite-model-of-influence/    ,  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch#Usage_by_cults  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Marmion said:

This would be an example of a half truth , rather than a blatant outright lie .  You see , even Solomon , in the Bible was referred to as being the son of God , only he wasn't the divine Son of God , of course . { https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+7+%3A8-16&version=NIV   ,  https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/the-son-of-god-is-the-son-of-david/ }  So their answer to you was certainly knowingly misleading , but to paraphrase a quote from " Star Wars " , it was true from a certain point of view .  

Reveal hidden contents

It's just that unbeknownst to you at the time , the point of view that is held by Remnant Fellowship is that of subordinationism  .  

Hide contents

Hide contents

But of course they won't tell outsiders that this is what is meant , as they divide doctrine into two categories ; one set for the outsiders , and the other for insiders  , "  Milk before meat " , as it pertains to information control .  

-  https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/the-bite-model-of-influence/    ,  https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch#Usage_by_cults  

Just now, Galale said:
3 hours ago, Marmion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Read more  

I definitely felt the hubris from that man during our conversation.  Though at the time I was not prepared to carry on a dialogue with him as he had ambushed with Matthew 5:27-28 as it relates to adultery.  While he was correct that lusting after a woman is adultery, there was no sense of compassion in his tone.  In my opinion, he was very militant.  Fortunately, one of my brothers is a pastor and well grounded in scripture.  He had confronted the group previously on their errant views of scripture.

• Upvote 3

Today we learn that an all junk food diet is bad but mainly because it might make you binge on something healthier later on. 

Gwen wants you to be a slave to your sensual desires aka what your body calls for aka what God wants you to eat, yet live a self-controlled life and if you feel the urge to binge just decide not to. 

It takes Gwen to know when healthy eating decisions are living a godly self-controlled life and when it's dangerous man-made rules. It takes Gwen to know when your sensual desires are a sign from God and when they must be put to death.

Spoiler

Can You Be Addicted To Sugar or Chocolate?

June 29, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

There are people who override not only the amount of food that the body is calling for, but also the type of food, and go after just chips or chocolate. These people can wait all day as long as they can binge on their salts or sweets later in the day. It is similar to the alcoholic who can avoid food all day just to wait to get all of their calories from alcohol. Even though this makes them very sick and ruins their liver—and in the case of “chocoholics,” it ruins their health and digestive tract—their sensual desire is stronger than their desire to serve or obey God. This unbalanced head desire is just another form of sensual desire that you have to put to death. The body is not calling for chocolate or sweets for breakfast, lunch, and supper. Furthermore, the all chips/junk food/chocolate diets eventually throw people into further binges on other foods because the body is so depleted of the variety that it needs or calls for. The craving is overriding the natural biological feedback.

How do you rid yourself of this wrong craving? First, write down all the bad health effects you receive from the habit. Include how sick you feel after a binge on chocolate (or whatever binge it might be—alcohol, tobacco, drugs, snacks, etc.). Compare these notes with the list of how you feel when you fight and overcome the nighttime binge! Every time you feel the urge to binge on anything, run to God, listen to All Access, and read the Bible—and notice how you become more and more determined to end your binges. If you really were listening to the cues of the body, you would feel how nauseated you were from all the chocolate. Pay attention to how awful “out-of- control” binges feel. Likewise, write down how great the body feels eating a balanced meal inside hunger and fullness! There is no comparison.

But most of all, remember, this has got to stop today. This is very bad for your health. God commands that you live an upright, self- controlled life and take care of your body. Remember, grace teaches us to say “No.”

Fight with prayer and obedience to God. Keep reading—there are many more tips to help you overcome chocolate binges.

She thinks writing down "I feel fantastic if I don't eat" is the solution to everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Today we learn that an all junk food diet is bad but mainly because it might make you binge on something healthier later on. 

Gwen wants you to be a slave to your sensual desires aka what your body calls for aka what God wants you to eat, yet live a self-controlled life and if you feel the urge to binge just decide not to. 

It takes Gwen to know when healthy eating decisions are living a godly self-controlled life and when it's dangerous man-made rules. It takes Gwen to know when your sensual desires are a sign from God and when they must be put to death.

Hide contents

Can You Be Addicted To Sugar or Chocolate?

June 29, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

There are people who override not only the amount of food that the body is calling for, but also the type of food, and go after just chips or chocolate. These people can wait all day as long as they can binge on their salts or sweets later in the day. It is similar to the alcoholic who can avoid food all day just to wait to get all of their calories from alcohol. Even though this makes them very sick and ruins their liver—and in the case of “chocoholics,” it ruins their health and digestive tract—their sensual desire is stronger than their desire to serve or obey God. This unbalanced head desire is just another form of sensual desire that you have to put to death. The body is not calling for chocolate or sweets for breakfast, lunch, and supper. Furthermore, the all chips/junk food/chocolate diets eventually throw people into further binges on other foods because the body is so depleted of the variety that it needs or calls for. The craving is overriding the natural biological feedback.

How do you rid yourself of this wrong craving? First, write down all the bad health effects you receive from the habit. Include how sick you feel after a binge on chocolate (or whatever binge it might be—alcohol, tobacco, drugs, snacks, etc.). Compare these notes with the list of how you feel when you fight and overcome the nighttime binge! Every time you feel the urge to binge on anything, run to God, listen to All Access, and read the Bible—and notice how you become more and more determined to end your binges. If you really were listening to the cues of the body, you would feel how nauseated you were from all the chocolate. Pay attention to how awful “out-of- control” binges feel. Likewise, write down how great the body feels eating a balanced meal inside hunger and fullness! There is no comparison.

But most of all, remember, this has got to stop today. This is very bad for your health. God commands that you live an upright, self- controlled life and take care of your body. Remember, grace teaches us to say “No.”

Fight with prayer and obedience to God. Keep reading—there are many more tips to help you overcome chocolate binges.

She thinks writing down "I feel fantastic if I don't eat" is the solution to everything.

I feel that this Bible passage might apply .  

17.  Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord [a]Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+16+%3A+17-18&version=NKJV  

• Upvote 2

So my takeaway from this post is that Gwen's drug of choice is chocolate. She compares chocolate consumption to alcohol addiction twice.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

So my takeaway from this post is that Gwen's drug of choice is chocolate. She compares chocolate consumption to alcohol addiction twice.

• Haha 6

On 6/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, Galale said:

I am sure you speak to your family members with love concerning this matter.  I also agree with you that Gwen is not completely wrong with all she says.  Even the followers and founders of other belief systems contain truths as well.  The problem with Gwen is that even though she justifies her position based on her interpretation of the Bible, the distortions are subtle enough to deceive many people.  I remember Billy Graham staying many years ago that there are people who get just enough exposure to religion that it acts more like an inoculation that exhibits them from receiving the whole Truth.  But, like you said all we can do is cast out the seeds and hope that they take root.  We should also pray that we are putting our own seeds as that may contaminate the garden.

it is most unfortunate that your family lives in fear of eating because of this.  There is no grace or mercy when one’s theology is anthropocentric and not theocentric.

Exactly. The family we have in actually went in with a history of understanding the Word... but like boiling a frog, a little compromise on the Word here, a little more compromise there... sprinkle in a few genuine truths with the garbage, and you've got people hooked.

I agree fully... I think this is why they call the mainstream church out for teaching a "false grace" message.

• Upvote 3

No porn but this cracked me up. Hey Gwen! It's on eBay. You need this hanging in your house!

image.jpeg

• Haha 8

I would have dubbed this, Today in the Daily Humblebrag, but I do not want to lie to you, it's not the least bit humble.

Other aging ladies wake up to pee or because their husbands snore, and may have some trouble getting back to sleep.  Gwen has God's gentle hand  waking her up in the middle of the night in creative ways to poke around the house doing God's work.

You ain't godly until you have made up a song to praise God for inventing pillows and 24 hour days, while God is busy trying to find your keys.

Spoiler

A Heart for God

June 30, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

I have not set an alarm clock in many years. God wakes me up every day just at the right time. With gentle creativity, He chooses a variety of waking methods, so my first thought is God and thanking Him for waking me—and the earlier the better for me. I love getting up in the night and working for Him or having Him teach me some- thing new.

The rest of the day follows suit. The Bible says to “pray without ceasing.” (I Thessalonians 5:17) Therefore, every hour is spent talking to Him, asking Him to help with clothes, work, difficult situations, asking Him to rule my day, asking Him to find my keys, thanking Him for something that just happened, coming to Him for comfort from pain in the heart, and looking to Him for His attention or approval and leading any way I can get it.

When I find myself alone in a room or in the house, I sing to Him my made-up, on-the-spot songs of adoration for His great personality, His mighty hand of justice, and His protection for the righteous. I also listen to music and find Him speaking through it. His world is beautiful and delightful. What great ideas are 24-hour days, sleep, and snuggling up in the covers with my pillow over my head while I talk to Him. After all, He is the one who made covers and pillows and the snugly feeling. I praise Him for humor, for incredibly moving music that He inspires, for happy-go-lucky children and puppy dogs, for smiling faces, and for the genius of different types of food. I praise Him for making weather different every single day so that the land, the clouds, and the sky change colors. I praise Him for putting love and peace in our hearts so there are not only smiles on our faces but also empathy for others in our hearts. The great idea list is endless.

I believe Jesus had some things to say about people who brag about praying.

Did you know God manufactures bedding?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I have not set an alarm clock in many years.

You aren't special Gwen. I too have not set an alarm clock in years. It ends up after years of getting up at the same time each day I just do it naturally now. I can't sleep late even if I try and I do try. 

Maybe I've been looking at it all wrong and Rufus has been waking me daily! I do not know of any good Rufus hymns to listen to during the day. 

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

After God manufactures bedding he pops over to make some Fritos. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

I think hunger pangs are waking her up and she sings stupid songs to distract herself from eating. It also must take a fairly long time to get her face and hair ready to present herself to her adoring husband and fans. As usual she is spinning a fairy tale about how perfect she is.

• Upvote 13

15 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

I think hunger pangs are waking her up and she sings stupid songs to distract herself from eating. It also must take a fairly long time to get her face and hair ready to present herself to her adoring husband and fans. As usual she is spinning a fairy tale about how perfect she is.

I can't imagine she sleeps well because she seems to live on diet soda and tiny bites of junk food. She has to feel terrible all the time. She looks very, very unhealthy. 

I wonder if she does her own hair and make up or if she has a team of people who do it for her each day. Either way it has to take forever to create Gwen's look. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I would have dubbed this, Today in the Daily Humblebrag, but I do not want to lie to you, it's not the least bit humble.

Other aging ladies wake up to pee or because their husbands snore, and may have some trouble getting back to sleep.  Gwen has God's gentle hand  waking her up in the middle of the night in creative ways to poke around the house doing God's work.

You ain't godly until you have made up a song to praise God for inventing pillows and 24 hour days, while God is busy trying to find your keys.

Hide contents

A Heart for God

June 30, 2020

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

I have not set an alarm clock in many years. God wakes me up every day just at the right time. With gentle creativity, He chooses a variety of waking methods, so my first thought is God and thanking Him for waking me—and the earlier the better for me. I love getting up in the night and working for Him or having Him teach me some- thing new.

The rest of the day follows suit. The Bible says to “pray without ceasing.” (I Thessalonians 5:17) Therefore, every hour is spent talking to Him, asking Him to help with clothes, work, difficult situations, asking Him to rule my day, asking Him to find my keys, thanking Him for something that just happened, coming to Him for comfort from pain in the heart, and looking to Him for His attention or approval and leading any way I can get it.

When I find myself alone in a room or in the house, I sing to Him my made-up, on-the-spot songs of adoration for His great personality, His mighty hand of justice, and His protection for the righteous. I also listen to music and find Him speaking through it. His world is beautiful and delightful. What great ideas are 24-hour days, sleep, and snuggling up in the covers with my pillow over my head while I talk to Him. After all, He is the one who made covers and pillows and the snugly feeling. I praise Him for humor, for incredibly moving music that He inspires, for happy-go-lucky children and puppy dogs, for smiling faces, and for the genius of different types of food. I praise Him for making weather different every single day so that the land, the clouds, and the sky change colors. I praise Him for putting love and peace in our hearts so there are not only smiles on our faces but also empathy for others in our hearts. The great idea list is endless.

I believe Jesus had some things to say about people who brag about praying.

This just reminds me of the SNL sketch with Sally Field.  Phil Hartman is Jesus and he comes down and asks Sally not to pray so much.  "Save the prayers like 'Dear Jesus, be with me as I vacuum the stairs...' "

Spoiler

624100110_SNLJesus.jpg.14df6b16724e66a04d25bef53a6c2eb9.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:31 AM, freefromthin said:

I TOTALLY relate to this! Not only is that an ED behavior, but then you're likely to end up with body dysmorphia. When I was at my lowest weight on WD ,I was told to "look in the mirror" to "see" if I "still had more weight to lose". Of COURSE I thought I still had "10 more lbs". Nowadays, when I look back on pictures of myself, I can see how thin I was and that I DIDN'T need to lose any additional weight. I was very obsessed with my weight and questioned my ability to know when I was hungry and when I had eaten "enough". It was a VERY SAD time for me. It has taken me almost two years to deal with the trauma that I experienced as a result of that program. I constantly doubted my "goodness", especially since I wasn't a member of the "true" church of RF. When I ended that program, my views about food were SO SKEWED. I ultimately ended up gaining twice the weight that I had lost and I feel pretty certain that I will NEVER diet again. I also stop eating naturally at the end of a meal without feeling like I HAVE TO stop at a certain point or that I need to eat past the feeling of having had enough. For several months, I felt triggered if I ended a meal prior to feeling stuffed. I didn't binge, but I needed to get REALLY FULL at MOST meals. I thought about food all the time when I was doing WD. For me, it was the "waiting to eat" diet.

Re: mind control...When you're participating in WD, you are encouraged to STAY IN A CLASS and ONLY listen to WD materials, which includes a LOT of Gwen's sermons. Her sermons center around" being under authority" and "obeying hunger and fullness", for the most part. It TOTALLY surprises me that her "Life with Gwen and Joe segment does not focus more on WD than it does. I won't allow myself to watch any of the Wednesday or Saturday night services or anything like that, so it's possible that she talks about it then.

i relate to most of all  you have written.  I did lose quite a bit when following WD, but I was starting to feel very OCD about everything related to food.  IE:  am I hungry?  Am i full?  But not TOO full, you are not supposed to feel the food in your stomach!..."Shut down the Kitchen after dinner".........so if you are really hungry, try to sleep feeling so uncomfortable.........."Saucers for plates.....why you can even get doll dishes for a perfect small serving".........Her servant, Jenni ,who mans the phones for 'counsel"........she told me once, all about how she had not eaten in 18 hours.  SO, she got herself a waffle, slathered it in butter and syrup..........and took ONE bite from the center.  ONE.  BITE.  

When I objected that I could not get by on one bite of food, or even 3-5, I was told to pray, and I would be surprised at just how little I could eat and survive on.

I DID become obsessed.  Not to mention, all the brainwashing about how God was going to be displeased with me and if I were fat and not able to get it under control, I would not be going to Heaven, b/c I was greedy.

Recently, I read Carol Dooners' 'The F*ck It Diet'......................it made a whole lot of sense.  I would suggest it to someone coming out of WD or any restrictive eating plan. 

I admit, before reading that book, I started doing IF...."Fast Feast Repeat".............3 days in, no way.  It felt like WD...it felt like I was starving myself. 

• Upvote 8

The "Life with Gwen and Joe Show" is to get them sometype of reality show.  They have even hired an outside publicist to help market it for them.  I almost believe Gwen targeted Joe because he did have an acting past.  Joe, of course, was easy prey to be taken in since he was leaving in a "dirt cheap" apartment with his mom and working construction work to help make ends meet.  Now he's driving a Tesla, taking over the top trips and being made over constantly.  She could have never done that with her overweight first husband, David.

I personally know of members that were once paraded around for national media interviews for their weight loss that have been put on "suspension" due to gaining so much of their weight back.  Check Andy and Maggie Sorrells just for proof.

I always felt like if I lived in Brentwood it would be so much easier to lose and maintain the weight loss because the pressure to not eat is there and they go out all the time.  Also the pressure is there to live in the biggest and the finest for even the youngest newly weds.    You never go anywhere where you aren't dressed and done to look perfect.  Gwen is appearance.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Victorianroses said:

i relate to most of all  you have written.  I did lose quite a bit when following WD, but I was starting to feel very OCD about everything related to food.  IE:  am I hungry?  Am i full?  But not TOO full, you are not supposed to feel the food in your stomach!..."Shut down the Kitchen after dinner".........so if you are really hungry, try to sleep feeling so uncomfortable.........."Saucers for plates.....why you can even get doll dishes for a perfect small serving".........Her servant, Jenni ,who mans the phones for 'counsel"........she told me once, all about how she had not eaten in 18 hours.  SO, she got herself a waffle, slathered it in butter and syrup..........and took ONE bite from the center.  ONE.  BITE.  

When I objected that I could not get by on one bite of food, or even 3-5, I was told to pray, and I would be surprised at just how little I could eat and survive on.

I DID become obsessed.  Not to mention, all the brainwashing about how God was going to be displeased with me and if I were fat and not able to get it under control, I would not be going to Heaven, b/c I was greedy.

Recently, I read Carol Dooners' 'The F*ck It Diet'......................it made a whole lot of sense.  I would suggest it to someone coming out of WD or any restrictive eating plan. 

I admit, before reading that book, I started doing IF...."Fast Feast Repeat".............3 days in, no way.  It felt like WD...it felt like I was starving myself. 

I also read TFID and joined her online book club. It was SO helpful. I don't have problems with eating anymore. I don't try to restrict my food or control my body size. I do the best I can to be healthy, but I never want to go back to my days of restriction. Ever.

Edited to add: I lost quite a bit with WD too, but I spent most of my time lightheaded and dizzy and obsessed with food. I even went to have lab work done because of those symptoms.I guess that's what happens when you starve yourself in an effort to be thin.

I also had a 20 plus year dieting career due to being in the military. At first my body would always go back to a certain weight, which at the time was not out of standards but WAS heavier than I "thought" I should be. EVERY TIME I would get to this certain weight, I would diet. For 20 years I tried to maintain my weight below what was natural for my body, because what was natural put me in the "overweight" category for BMI. Well, now I'm in the "obese" category and unless I go on another diet, I'm likely to stay there. I highly doubt that I'll ever go on another diet, because if I do I'll likely have to be committed to a mental health facility.

Edited by freefromthin
added more info
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Smalltowngirltn said:

I always felt like if I lived in Brentwood it would be so much easier to lose and maintain the weight loss because the pressure to not eat is there and they go out all the time.  Also the pressure is there to live in the biggest and the finest for even the youngest newly weds.    You never go anywhere where you aren't dressed and done to look perfect.  Gwen is appearance.

That is 100% why our family moved out there. We know someone who gave up everything... lifelong friends, passions, dreams... because they had to go where they could really "live this life" and be "with the saints." She's also a newlywed and because they can't afford to buy their own nice place in Brentwood, they've living with family. I don't get why it's so horrible to just get into a starter apartment and live a little poor like we all do at first, haha!

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Smalltowngirltn said:

The "Life with Gwen and Joe Show" is to get them sometype of reality show.  They have even hired an outside publicist to help market it for them.  I almost believe Gwen targeted Joe because he did have an acting past.  Joe, of course, was easy prey to be taken in since he was leaving in a "dirt cheap" apartment with his mom and working construction work to help make ends meet.  Now he's driving a Tesla, taking over the top trips and being made over constantly.  She could have never done that with her overweight first husband, David.

I personally know of members that were once paraded around for national media interviews for their weight loss that have been put on "suspension" due to gaining so much of their weight back.  Check Andy and Maggie Sorrells just for proof.

Yep! I've chatted with Maggie personally and she is VERY sweet, but she is ALL IN when it comes to WD. The system is rigged so that if you cannot maintain your weight loss, you end up thinking it's YOUR FAULT because you are unwilling to DENY yourself. It's really just glorified starvation.

I've often wondered how much of the Life with "Gwen and Joe" show was an act. When I was in a class, Gwen was VERY MUCH glorified and we were supposed to feel SO HONORED that she sent our group a message. She always seems so SWEET in those messages, but I've heard DIFFERENT stories about her, so one wonders.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Smalltowngirltn said:

The "Life with Gwen and Joe Show" is to get them sometype of reality show.  

I would be surprised if that happened. At least not the way Gwen would like it to happen. People would watch it because Gwen's hair, make up and tottering around on high heels she can barely stand up in. But this sort of thing would invite a level of scrutiny Gwen and RF can't handle. We saw from Gwen's minions coming here that they just have a total melt down and do nothing but make Gwen look more crazy. If they had a reality tv show it would Gwen having people discuss her like this except on a much, much larger scale.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

On 6/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Every time I think Gwen's food issues can't get any weirder she manages it. Just start binging on carrots Gwen, you'll feel much better.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah, that won't encourage anyone to focus even more on the fact that they're not eating and are hungry at all. 

(And I just got a mental image of it as one of Gwen's punishments for her kids, and now I'm sad.)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Smalltowngirltn said:

I almost believe Gwen targeted Joe because he did have an acting past.  Joe, of course, was easy prey to be taken in since he was leaving in a "dirt cheap" apartment with his mom and working construction work to help make ends meet.  Now he's driving a Tesla, taking over the top trips and being made over constantly.  She could have never done that with her overweight first husband, David.

It also strikes me that Joe could be a bit of an operator - he doesn't need to buy into all the cult beliefs, just keep himself looking from enough for the part, spout some vaguely Biblically linked verses about not eating a land he has himself control of a ready-made tax free cult. Good deal.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic