IGNORED

George Floyd Protests

clueliss

Kenosha, Wisconsin 

Wisconsin Reels After Police Shooting and Second Night of Protests

Jacob Blake, a Black resident of Kenosha, was shot in the back, setting off condemnations from Wisconsin’s governor and Joe Biden, the Democrats’ presidential nominee.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/us/kenosha-police-shooting.amp.html

• Upvote 3

This is extraordinary. Go Bucks.

I didn't realize they were boycotting playoff game as well. 

Edited by WiseGirl
Add text
  • Upvote 7

it isn't directly related to the BLM movement but it kind of is...

Montreal finally got rid of its John A. MacDonald statue. It is about time. I think it's been almost 10 years that it was constantly vandalized, then cleaned, then vandalized again, then cleaned. It was bound to end this way. The statue was toppled in the mist of an anti-racist demonstration to defund the police. (Caption in French but you get the gist by looking at the pics).

Montreal also had a wave of protest since June, in support of what is going on in the US. And for sure the BLM mouvement triggered a lot of discussion about the situation of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) in Quebec and Canada. For Americans who are not familair with John A. MacDonald, he is considered one of the fathers of the Confederation and was Canada's first Prime Minister from 1867 to 1873 and again from 1878 and 1891. Safe to say he was very influential in the early days of the Canadian federation and his politics surely shaped the country. He was the reason why Canada expended West, with the promotion of the railroad that reached BC in 1886. During his years as PM, both British Columbia and Manitoba joined the Confederation has provinces.

But he was also a key thinker of the Canadian Indian residential school system and the Indian Act of 1876.The residential school system harmed Indigenous children significantly by removing them from their families, depriving them of their ancestral languages, exposing many of them to physical and sexual abuse, and forcibly enfranchising them. The network was funded by the Canadian government's Department of Indian Affairs and administered by Christian churches. The school system was created for the purpose of removing Indigenous children from the influence of their own culture and assimilating them into the dominant Canadian culture, "to kill the Indian in the child." The residential schools started to decrease in 1960's and 70's but some remained open until the 1980's. Note that the Indian Law is unchanged since 1876 (ok with some amandments) and the primary document which defines how the Government of Canada interacts with the 614 First Nation bands in Canada and their members. The Act sets out rules for governing Indian reserves, defines how bands can be created and spells out the powers of "band councils". It also defines who is, and who is not recognized as an "Indian".

Note: I consider Indian to be a slur. I don't feel comfortable using that word. But I'm simply naming the law and the residential school system as they were called (still to this day).

He was also instrumental in killing the Métis movement in Manitoba and was a big advocate to have Louis Riel hanged.

So let's just say that the toppling of the statue was simply a long time coming. Another John A. MacDonald statue was removed in 2018 in front of the Victoria City Hall in B.C. by a choice of the city council. Several statues of MacDonald across the country also stir controversy mainly in Kingston and Regina.

About time Canada also looks at his own homemade Canadian brand of racism.

Edited by Vivi_music
Changed a sentence that made no sense
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

On 8/26/2020 at 5:20 PM, WiseGirl said:

I didn't realize they were boycotting playoff game as well. 

It's technically a strike, not a boycott. A boycott is when you protest as a consumer by no longer buying a product. A strike is when workers protest by removing their labor. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh 

A world-renowned heart doctor in Texas completely made up a viral story on Twitter that claimed his daughter and her boyfriend were physically attacked by Black Lives Matter protesters, according to BuzzFeed News. “She filmed it & called the police but they cannot do anything [because] they are African American,” Dr. Andrea Natale tweeted. “Is this the American we want?” But police body-camera footage painted a completely different picture. In it, the daughter and her boyfriend told police that they got into a confrontation with “squeegee kids,” the mostly young Black men who wash car windshields for money at intersections. The boyfriend told police officers that they were not physically touched by anyone but a car mirror was damaged. The officers also never told the couple that the alleged offenders’ race prevented them from taking action.

The doctor put up a bullshit excuse about how he was worried about his daughter.  I hope he faces some employment consequences for this or the medical authorities have a come to Jesus talk with him. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile in Kentucky they're using Adolf Hitler to train state police

Gov. Andy Beshear reacted to a report Friday showing a Kentucky State Police training slideshow quoting Adolf Hitler three times and advocating officers to use "ruthless" violence, calling it "unacceptable."

Students in the journalism program at Louisville's duPont Manual High School obtained the slideshow from the agency through an open records request and first reported it.

"This is absolutely unacceptable," said Beshear in an emailed statement. "It is further unacceptable that I just learned about this through social media. We will collect all the facts and take immediate corrective action."

As reported by the Manual Redeye, one slide in the training material for KSP cadets titled “Violence of Action” tells officers to “meet violence with greater violence” and be a "ruthless killer."

• WTF 7

• 1 month later...

Further proof that some trainers need to be fired post haste. 

A prominent law enforcement training group is promoting a lengthy research document riddled with falsehoods and conspiracies that urges local police to treat Black Lives Matter activists as terrorists plotting a violent revolution.

The document distributed by the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association contains misinformation and inflammatory rhetoric that could incite officers against protesters and people of color, critics said. It alleges Black Lives Matter and antifa, an umbrella term for leftist militants, are “revolutionary movements whose aims are to overthrow the U.S. government" and claims they are planning “extreme violence.”

Phillip Atiba Goff, a Yale University professor who is an expert on racial bias in policing, called the document dangerous, noting that the association is an important source of training materials for many small and midsize departments across the country.

“It’s stunning. It’s distressing in many ways. It’s untethered to reality,” said Goff, CEO of the Center for Policing Equity. “I worry that it leads to people dying unnecessarily."

• WTF 7

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news out of Iowa for once 

An Iowa judge blocked the ban of five Des Moines Black Lives Matter supporters from the state capitol.

In the injunction, the court said it finds, “the ban likely burden more speech than is necessary to achieve significant state interests of preventing violence and ensuring public safety.”

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, the same people who claimed that Antifa dressed up as Trump supporters during the Capitol insurrection.  What a coinkydink.

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...

Some racist fuckstickery happened at Duke recently

A flier insinuating that George Floyd's death was because of drugs appeared on a Black History Month display at Duke University, causing a school-wide investigation into what officials are calling an "act of bias."

The flier, an apparent printout of George Floyd's toxicology report, appeared Saturday, Duke University confirmed, on a Black History Month display honoring Black victims of police violence. The report included handwritten remarks in a pink pen, reading: "Mix of drugs presents in difficulty breathing! Overdose? Good Man? Use of fake currency is a felony!"

In a letter to the student body on Tuesday, school officials wrote that university police, along with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and the Office for Institutional Equity, are investigating the incident.

"If Duke students are found to be responsible for this act, the Office of Conduct and Community Standards (OSCCS) will issue sanctions to the responsible student(s)," John Blackshear, the dean of students, and Jeanna McCullers, the senior associate dean, wrote in the letter.

• Thank You 5

The Red Sox-Twins game scheduled for today was postponed due to protests.

• Upvote 2

Shouted 'taser' - pulled her service weapon and fired.  That is not a taser.  They aren't kept on the same side of the body. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

Shouted 'taser' - pulled her service weapon and fired.  That is not a taser.  They aren't kept on the same side of the body. 

I don't think any Minnesota police should carry any weapon, lethal or non-lethal, at this point. Use the badge, not the gun.

• I Agree 2

There is a verdict.  Media awaiting the jury returning etc. 

• Thank You 5

On 4/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, clueliss said:

Not to mention...she was a firearms safety instructor. If anyone should be able to tell the difference, it's her.

This Twitter feed has a live feed going for the George Floyd verdict.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

I keep refreshing my phone. Gotta admit I’m scared

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I keep refreshing my phone. Gotta admit I’m scared

Me too. And then I'm even more depressed that I can see it going either way...

• Upvote 4

I'm holding my breath - because I remember the Rodney King verdict aftermath.

• Upvote 5

My sentiments exactly:

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1