IGNORED

George Floyd Protests

clueliss

16 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Looks like the MPD union is determined not to be part of the solution;

I normally totally support unions and what they do but when it comes to corrupt police unions I turn total union buster.  And if it comes down to it the department ought to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up if they can't make serious structual changes right fucking now. 

My union saved me from getting fired by a tyrant of a boss. 
Normally we refer to fellow union members as sister and brother. Not with this guy. 

• Upvote 5

A couple of years ago I discovered that the United Daughters of the Confederacy had placed a plaque in Montreal shortly after the end of the Civil War(1957).  It was removed in 2017,

• Upvote 4

No one ever said the Proud Boys were smart

A member of the Proud Boys group has been arrested after he violated his probation by traveling to a demonstration area in Seattle and was allegedly involved in an attack.

A warrant was issued for the arrest of Tusitala “Tiny” Toese, a Clark County resident, on June 18.

Toese, 24, was arrested and booked into the Multnomah County Jail six days later.

He was wanted by authorities after people reported on June 15 and 16 that Toese had traveled to Seattle and was involved in an assault near the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ). He was recorded on video pushing a man while others punched the man and threw the man’s cell phone to the ground, breaking it.

• Upvote 2

So a few weeks ago, Students wanted a statue of Thomas Jefferson (yes, he was president, also a slave owner) removed from the University of Missouri Campus.  Administration said NO.  (I of course thought back a few years and thought, annnnnnd ya'll have come nowhere since the protests back then, have you?)

Today - a faculty group is now asking for the same statue to be removed.

https://www.komu.com/news/faculty-group-calls-for-removal-of-jefferson-statue

and when I saw someone trying to topple that Andrew Jackson statue I may have cheered (idiot president who defied the supreme court and gave Cherokee/Choctaw the trail of tears)

• Upvote 4

Some news on the NASCAR front

NASCAR said Thursday that its examination of the Talladega racetrack showed only one noose, which was found in the garage of black driver Bubba Wallace’s garage.

The noose was first reported Sunday after Wallace spoke out against the prominence of the Confederate flag at his races and NASCAR launched an investigation. By Tuesday, the FBI claimed that the noose had been in the garage since October.

NASCAR on Thursday released a photo showing the noose.

“Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week,” the FBI said, deciding that there was no hate crime.

There's a picture in that article of the noose that leaves no doubt that it was a noose. 

FBI is full of it.

• Upvote 3

This one angers me

https://people.com/crime/michigan-boy-16-goes-into-cardiac-arrest-dies-after-residential-facility-staff-members-restrain-him-lawsuit-says/

Mich. Boy, 16, Dies After Residential Facility Staff Members 'Wrongly Applied' Restraints

Three staff members at the facility were fired and charged with involuntary manslaughter and second-degree child abuse

By Benjamin VanHoose 

June 26, 2020 08:53 AM

AD

FBTweetMore

A 16-year-old boy has died "because of restraints wrongly applied" by employees at his residential treatment facility, officials say.

On May 1, Cornelius Fredericks died after suffering cardiac arrest when, days earlier, staff members forcibly restrained him at the Lakeside Academy in Kalamazoo, Michigan, according to a lawsuit obtained by CNN. The facility provides behavioral health services to teens.

The lawsuit — asking for $100 million in damages under Fredericks' estate — reportedly claims that Fredericks threw a sandwich at someone and employees responded with "improper restraint" on April 29.

In a statement, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced that it will no longer allow "physical restraints like the ones that cost this young man his life." An investigation found that the restraints used were "significantly disproportionate to Fredericks' behavior."

"On May 1, a young man died because of restraints wrongly applied at a facility licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)," Director Robert Gordon said. "It was a tragedy and an outrage. We cannot bring this young man back to life, but we will not rest until we have changed the system that allowed his death. ... We are committed to bringing needed change."

RELATED: Illinois Girl, 13, Is Fatally Shot in Neck While Showing Mom New Dance Move from TikTok

MDHHS also said it will reform its policies for childcare institutions in order to "address challenges before they become tragedies," as well as take steps to revoke the licensing for Lakeside Academy.

According to CBS News, medical examiners ruled the death a homicide, saying Fredericks died from "restraint asphyxia." On Wednesday, three Lakeside Academy employees were charged with involuntary manslaughter and second-degree child abuse.

In a statement obtained by PEOPLE, Sequel Youth & Family Services, which owns Lakeside Academy, said, "We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Cornelius and acted quickly to terminate all staff involved. Additionally, we have removed the former executive director of Lakeside from the organization."

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

RELATED: Georgia Boy, 13, Was Walking with Dad on Sidewalk When Driver Allegedly Killed Him in Hit-and-Run

"We have been in regular contact with law enforcement and state officials to help ensure justice is served and have accelerated the work that was already underway across our organization to move to a restraint-free model of care," the statement continued. "We take our obligation to meet the significant behavioral health needs of all our students incredibly seriously and remain focused on our mission of providing the absolute best care and treatment possible for our clients."

Sequel also addressed the criminal charges filed against the employees involved and said: "We strongly support the decision of the prosecutor’s office to bring criminal charges, which was based on a very thorough law enforcement investigation. We will continue to fully cooperate throughout this process to ensure justice is served. This was a tragic and senseless incident. Additionally, we are committed to making the necessary changes to ensure something like this never happens again within our organization."

If you suspect child abuse, call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-Child or 1-800-422-4453, or go to www.childhelp.org. All calls are toll-free and confidential. The hotline is available 24/7 in more than 170 languages.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

Minneapolis is taking the first step to replace their police department. 

Minneapolis city council on Friday takes the first step in what may result in the abolishment of the MPD.

Five council members have authored an amendment to the city's charter.

The regular Minneapolis council meeting is taking place virtually, and not in city hall council chambers.

The amendment would replace the Minneapolis police department with a Department of Community Service and Violence Prevention.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Mississippi flag change

Yeah I was just coming here to mention this too. 

And say Holy Fuck since it looks like Mississippi is finally moving into the 20th century. 

• Upvote 6

So THIS was posted in South Park in Lawrence, Kansas.  Warning, this is an awful picture.

Spoiler

73FC05AB-ECBC-4CFB-94A5-DB0598784B7B.thumb.png.daf75bae1433671d60dcf0208cd2a745.png

So now protesters have blocked Massachusetts street going into downtown Lawrence.  And I’ll note that the Law Enforcement Center/Courthouse is at the north end of South Park.

• Thank You 4

And in Aurora CO, people at a vigil for Elijah McCann Where violins were playing came in with pepper spray yesterday (found the tweet at tmz)

(

• Upvote 3

I seem to be getting my news from interesting places lately.  TMZ and retweets from Evel Dick (Dick Donato winner of BB8)

We have armed white people in St. Louis taking aim at peaceful Protestors.  

Oh wait - and I have a retweet off of someone from the Ringer (mostly a sports site)

looks like Karen is armed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Oh wait - and I have a retweet off of someone from the Ringer (mostly a sports site)

looks like Karen is armed.

Not only was Karen armed; her husband was brandishing an AR-15.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

Just now, fraurosena said:

Not only was Karen armed; her husband was brandishing an AR-15.

With no safety on either weapon, her finger on the trigger, and the AR-15 perfectly positioned to severely burn both his man boobs if fired. 

If you're going to own a semi-automatic, take a damn gun safety class. Jesus Christ. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

With no safety on either weapon, her finger on the trigger, and the AR-15 perfectly positioned to severely burn both his man boobs if fired. 

If you're going to own a semi-automatic, take a damn gun safety class. Jesus Christ. 

Dontcha know... just by screaming second amendment rights it makes you completely qualified to handle all firearms!

• Upvote 7

Just now, Audrey2 said:

Dontcha know... just by screaming second amendment rights it makes you completely qualified to handle all firearms!

Well, Karen at least might want Ken to take a 2A gun handling refresher before he accidentally blows her fucking head off. 

EbrqYNIXgAIg6kq (2).jpg

I've lost any hope at this point of the NRA being responsible. I know they will rush to defend this couple, but I do hope the NRA at least adds something about how wildly reckless these two are being with their firearms (no trigger discipline, not only pointing at the crowd but sweeping each other multiple times, carrying both the pistol and the AR-15 incorrectly and unsafely). I have no doubt a lot of people are buying guns for the first time right now. At the very least we can encourage them to approach gun ownership as the serious responsibility that it is. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Who the hell needs an AR-15 in a suburban neighbourhood? FFS here. 

17 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I do hope the NRA at least adds something about how wildly reckless these two are being with their firearms

Not a chance. "Brave defenders of their property" for sure, with no mention of how completely ignorant of gun safety they appear to be.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I am astonished that this couple didn’t end up killing someone walking by or each other. I’m sure they thought they were being brave and standing up for their rights but it would only have taken one tiny step for them to start shooting. If I had been walking by their ignorance and obvious inexperience would have scared me spitless.

• Upvote 4

Karen and Ken have said they were so terrorised and terrified that they felt the need to defend themselves.

I call bull-crap. If you were really terrified, you would not go outside brandishing your weapons and yell insults at protesters walking past.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Karen and Ken have said they were so terrorised and terrified that they felt the need to defend themselves.

I call bull-crap. If you were really terrified, you would not go outside brandishing your weapons and yell insults at protesters walking past.

I call double bull-crap. They are personal injury attorneys. Were they hoping to bait protesters into attacking them?

Also if was so terrifying where are all the pictures of their neighbors out on the lawn with their guns?

On another note just search Ken and Karen and check out the memes.

Edited by WiseGirl
added text
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Kansas State University football team doesn't want to participate in activities until it is assured students that tweet racist stuff can be expelled.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

In DC, the momentum just keeps going. For necessary reasons too. Seeing protesters, and street medics, getting tear gassed and beaten on top of Black Lives Matter Plaza is...something to see, for sure. Just goes to show you that gestures like that are meaningless unless they are a part of real actual change. Which they obviously aren’t as DC is working to increase the police budget at the same time as defunding breakfast programs for DC public schools - which coincidentally serve primarily Black and Latino students. Hmmm, funny how that works out...

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, fraurosena said:

They live in a gated, wealthy community - they could call the cops, they'll most likely show up. Or you know, lock the doors. 

If they were in Australia they'd be facing multiple charges, and loss of firearms licence (and firearms). It is seriously unbelievable to me that they can threaten people with firearms and not be charged - whether they were on their own property or not is immaterial. If they had pointed those same weapons at police from their property would it have been regarded as fine because they owned the land they were standing on?

• Upvote 4

It's Missouri (Guess where I live) some (you can guess the type) are lauding them as heroes for protecting their homes.

The protestors weren't interested in them - I believe they were headed to the mayor's house because the mayor read off a list of names, angering the protesters.

• Upvote 2