IGNORED

George Floyd Protests

clueliss

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

NASCAR has banned that fucking Confederate rag at its events

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

I'm ready for the racists to come out of the fucking woodwork over this.

I'm legit surprised, and impressed, by this decision. This isn't like some vegan sandwich shop in San Francisco taking a no-Confederate flag stance. This takes some actual courage and they will get push back. Confederate flags are super common at their events and I know there's a lot of non-licensed gear with the stars and bars on it.

Does anyone know if this ban includes people wearing apparel with the Confederate flag on it?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

More of the head kluxer’s very fine people decided to try starting crap at a peaceful protest 

A peaceful Black Lives Matter protest in Nevada was briefly interrupted by two men wearing Ku KluxKlan hoods and carrying Donald Trump flags.

Video has emerged showing the moment protesters from both sides came together to jeer and chant against the men who showed up at the demonstration in Fallonon Monday.

The clip shows one officer arriving to talk to the men in white hoods while at least one protester chants: "No Trump, No KKK, no racist, fascist USA."

The footage ends with both men appearing to turn and walk away from the crowd after being spoken to by the officer.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

No Links but I’ve seen separate stories on somewhere not sure where the protesters took down a statue of Winston Churchill because racist. And then Richmond overnight they took down and I think beheaded the statue of Jefferson Davis president of the confederacy and then possibly hold him to the river

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, clueliss said:

No Links but I’ve seen separate stories on somewhere not sure where the protesters took down a statue of Winston Churchill because racist. And then Richmond overnight they took down and I think beheaded the statue of Jefferson Davis president of the confederacy and then possibly hold him to the river

Truly a heartwarming sight all around the globe. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 6/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, fraurosena said:

It is clear that a systematic change is an absolute necessity, beginning with a thorough vetting of anyone applying to be a law enforcement officer. Psychological assessments should also be a part of the selection process. A next step would be extensive education, not a simple 6 weeks course, here's your gun, and you're a policeman. It's no wonder there are all sorts of trigger happy and power hungry assholes on the forces the way things are now. 

I think this is key - no matter whether the existing system is revamped or if it's scrapped and a whole new system created - there has to be a way to keep out the power-hungry people who just want to be obeyed and get to carry guns around.

I'm a white girl. I know a couple good cops who are in it to help people. I've also met some serious, serious assholes in the force, and one African-American cop who if I remember correctly was forced out after bringing some racism to light. I'm totally OK with some new system, but whatever happens there's got to be detailed screening, serious training (especially in de-escalation), and frequent monitoring - douchebags need not apply. 

• Upvote 2

Someone has a sad about the ban 

NASCAR announced on Wednesday that the display of the Confederate flag will be prohibited at all NASCAR events and properties, meaning fans will no longer be able to fly the racist symbol at races. The move was met with praise by many NASCAR superstars – but one part-time Truck Series driver has announced he’s leaving the sport over the decision.

50-year-old driver Ray Ciccarelli, who has competed primarily in the Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series and ARCA Racing Series in recent years, posted on Facebook that he will not race following the 2020 season, and slammed NASCAR for “[expletive] one group to cater to another.”

• Upvote 3

I think the entire country needs to take a chill pill and calm down.  Than we can talk about making good changes without the raw emotion that's there right now 

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Confused 1

Awwww Fuckerberg is "disgusted" by the Chief Fuckopotomus's comments

Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan say they are "disgusted" by President Donald Trump's remarks on the nationwide protests against racial injustice.

The Facebook founder and his wife this week shared their thoughts in an email to a group of scientists who are backed by their nonprofit organization, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI). The scientists recently raised concerns about how Facebook (FB) has handled Trump's posts on the platform.

"We are deeply shaken and disgusted by President Trump's divisive and incendiary rhetoric at a time when our nation so desperately needs unity," Zuckerberg and Chan wrote. "This is an extraordinarily painful inflection point in our nation's story, particularly for the Black community and our Black colleagues, who have lived with the impacts of systemic racism for generations."

The email was provided to CNN Business by Jason Shepherd, a scientist backed by CZI who helped put together the letter to Zuckerberg earlier this month. The email was first reported by Recode.

Uh Mark you helped create this fucking mess and aren't doing jack shit about it so go off and pound sand already.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Travlr98 said:

I think the entire country needs to take a chill pill and calm down.  Than we can talk about making good changes without the raw emotion that's there right now 

Calming down is a recipe for maintaining the status quo and George Floyd becomes just another name amongst many.  It's my hope that this raw emotion continues to be expressed until real, legitimate, changes have been made for the better.

And let's not forget the raw emotion and anger over the deaths of people of color to police brutality doesn't go away when the press stop covering it.  It exists for the people legitimately afraid of the system and when it's not front and center it's just too easy for those of us who have different experiences with the police to ignore.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 6

The protests continue:

• Upvote 3

“The Susan Collins of the internet.” 

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

“The Susan Collins of the internet.” 

I hate that corporate US has this power to begin with. But in the power vacuum which Trump has created they had better step up.

• Upvote 3

Awaiting the freak out from reich wingers. 

Google has banned two far-right websites from its advertising platform after research revealed the tech giant was profiting from articles pushing unsubstantiated claims about the Black Lives Matter protests.

The two sites, ZeroHedge and The Federalist, will no longer be able to generate revenue from any advertisements served by Google Ads.

I assume very soon they’ll be complaining that their 1A rights were being violated. 

• Upvote 7

Just saw this post on Twitter and need a place to put it.  Derrick is a Big Brother winner and former law enforcement who has been on ID among other places.  

• Upvote 8

On 6/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Travlr98 said:

I'm curious what you think should happen? When will it be time to actually discuss things? Isn't it better to make drastic changes while people are actually paying attention? There isn't much to discuss. The Rebel flag is racist and bunches of statues are racist. What could people talk about when things are calmer that isn't what they are doing now, removing signs of hate?

• Upvote 12

On 6/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Travlr98 said:

That's what we've been doing since the '60's.  Worked out fine for white people but it hasn't been going so well for black people.  It's time for a real change.

• Upvote 10

This was written after Travon Martin was murdered. Feels like nothing has changed

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

NCAA to states (currently just Mississippi) using the Confederate Flag in their state flags: Change them or fornicating forget hosting championship events.

The NCAA expanded its Confederate flag policy on Friday to prohibit all its championship events from being held in the states where the flag is flown.

Mississippi is the only state affected by the policy change. It is the only state flag that continues to feature the banner of the Confederacy -- a blue cross with 13 white stars.

The NCAA's previous policy, which was enacted in 2001, applied only to predetermined championship sites. At the time, it affected both Mississippi and South Carolina. But in 2015, following the murder of nine members of the historically black Emanuel African Methodist Church in Charleston, South Carolina stopped flying the Confederate flag at its state Capitol and was therefore allowed to host NCAA championship events again.

The NCAA policy now includes all championship sites, including those awarded based on competition like baseball, softball, lacrosse and women's basketball.

Awaiting the freak out from the legions of people who will be butt hurt over this with the following.

popcorn2.jpg.51815e29b3418491aee6699dc38e973b.jpg

• Upvote 8

I was just coming to post that.  I still have folks whinging in Facebook over nascar and aunt Jemima.  

Am I reading this right?  Louisville is firing someone? 

• Upvote 3

I've been reading about Trump's threats to protestors in Tulsa and just hope all of you in the area stay safe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/trumps-juneteenth-tweet-a-warning-to-protesters-at-his-tulsa-rally/ar-BB15IE7E?ocid=spartanntp

I'm afraid of what will happen tomorrow night...all of you who will be there take care of yourselves.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

Black Sabbath is going to sell Black Lives Matters T-shirts and give proceeds to5(3 movement.  

• Upvote 5

And some racist fuck-stickery in NASCAR due to some Kluxers not being able to fly their fucking traitor flag at events anymore.

A noose was found in the garage stall of Bubba Wallace at Talladega Superspeedway in Lincoln, Alabama, on Sunday, less than two weeks after Wallace, who is NASCAR's only black driver, successfully pushed the stock car racing series to ban the Confederate flag at its tracks and facilities.

"Late this afternoon, NASCAR was made aware that a noose was found in the garage stall of the 43 team. We are angry and outraged, and cannot state strongly enough how seriously we take this heinous act," NASCAR said in a statement. "We have launched an immediate investigation, and will do everything we can to identify the person(s) responsible and eliminate them from the sport.

Bubba Wallace is NASCAR's only black driver. "This will not break me, I will not give in nor will I back down," he tweeted after Sunday's incident at Talladega. 

Wallace never saw the noose, ESPN's Marty Smith reported. It was first seen by a member of Wallace's team, who immediately brought it to the attention of NASCAR, Smith reported. NASCAR told Fox Sports that it will work with law enforcement.

• Sad 3
  • WTF 5

Looks like the MPD union is determined not to be part of the solution;

The fiery leader of Minneapolis' police union has built a reputation of defying the city, long before he offered the union's full support to the officers charged in George Floyd's killing.

When the mayor banned “warrior training” for officers last year, Lt. Bob Kroll said the union would offer the training instead. When the city restricted officers from wearing uniforms at political events, he had T-shirts made to support President Donald Trump. He commended off-duty officers who walked away from a security detail after players on the state's professional women's basketball team, the Minnesota Lynx, wore Black Lives Matter T-shirts. And after Floyd's death, he didn't hold back as he called unrest in the city a “terrorist movement.”

As Minneapolis tries to overhaul its Police Department in the wake of Floyd’s killing, city leaders will collide with a pugnacious and powerful union that has long resisted such change. But that union and Kroll are coming under greater pressure than ever before, with some members daring to speak out in support of change and police leaders vowing to negotiate a contract tougher on bad cops.

Other unions have publicly called for Kroll's removal, while public opinion polls show more Americans are shifting their views on police violence and believe offending officers are treated too leniently.

I normally totally support unions and what they do but when it comes to corrupt police unions I turn total union buster.  And if it comes down to it the department ought to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up if they can't make serious structual changes right fucking now. 

• I Agree 6

1 minute ago, 47of74 said:

Looks like the MPD union is determined not to be part of the solution;

I normally totally support unions and what they do but when it comes to corrupt police unions I turn total union buster.  And if it comes down to it the department ought to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up if they can't make serious structual changes right fucking now. 

Due to a former relative I am very familiar with police unions.  IMO they are no better than organized crime and the only fucks they give are for money and power.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1