IGNORED

George Floyd Protests

clueliss

I started crying at the first guilty. It turned into sobs at the second guilty then ugly tears at the third. I am so relieved and happy (this feels wrong to say because there should never be happiness associated with murder). 

I truly hope that this is the beginning of change in the US.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 8

Tears of relief today that he was found guilty on all charges, and was taken into custody. There was justice done today.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

I notice that they let him live.

I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here but MN doesn't have the death penalty and also they haven't done the sentencing yet.

However, he's going to be a VERY unpopular cop in prison, so :shrug: we'll see.

• Upvote 7

They just calmly handcuffed him and nobody thought it was necessary to sit on him and block his breathing.

• Upvote 11

Good. Hope that fucker is going away fir a very long time. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I fervently hope he is the first of many so-called cops who murder people for being black.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I fervently hope he is the first of many so-called cops who murder people for being black.

We can hope they will know there may be consequences for targeted actions.  I can only imagine, actually I can't, what it's like being one of color in this country.   

• Upvote 5

I cried as well. I will probably lose my last few conservative US friends on FB over this.

• Upvote 3

The look of a racist scumbag being held accountable. 
FBBFF068-E3D4-4C95-95A5-0CB5306259DB.thumb.jpeg.917973da71b2683213d0fbf49ad8ca7d.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

:mad:  

Faux News should be called Racist News from now on.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 8
  • WTF 3

27 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I cried as well. I will probably lose my last few conservative US friends on FB over this.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Upvote 8

49 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

:mad:  

Faux News should be called Racist News from now on.

Or KluxNews Channel.  Of course they fall over themselves when a racist is held accountable for murdering another human being to try to explain it all away and how he's not guilty.  Fuck each and every fucking last one of them at KluxNews.

• Upvote 6

I am so glad the jury had sense and honesty, and actually looked at the clear evidence. For once, truth prevailed.

• I Agree 14

Another example of Klux News handling Chauvin’s verdict.

• Thank You 6

Some good news

The Justice Department is opening a sweeping investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis after a former officer was convicted in the killing of George Floyd there, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Wednesday.

The announcement comes a day after former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death last May, setting off a wave of relief but also sadness across the country. The Black man’s death prompted months of mass protests against policing in the U.S.

The Justice Department is already investigating whether Chauvin and the other officers involved in Floyd’s death violated his civil rights.

“Yesterday’s verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis,” Garland said.

I think this is a good start but I think the entire law enforcement apparatus in the Twin Cities needs to be looked at.  All the departments and sheriffs offices for Ramsey, Hennepin, and so on.  It's not just the MPD that has these issues.  Daunte Wright was shot by a Brooklyn Center officer and not an MPD officer.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

Get used to yer new home Derek.

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was put into a prison's segregated housing unit for his own safety, a prison spokesperson said, after Chauvin was found guilty of the murder of George Floyd on Tuesday.

Chauvin on Tuesday was taken to a state prison -- the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Oak Park Heights -- to await sentencing, Department of Corrections spokesperson Sarah Fitzgerald said.

There, he was placed in an administrative control unit -- a housing unit that is separated from the general population, Fitzgerald said.

"He is on 'administrative segregation' status for his safety," Fitzgerald wrote to CNN in an email. "Administrative segregation is used when someone's presence in the general population is a safety concern."

Probably would never be able to be in general pop due to his status and what he did.  They'll have to watch extra close to make sure a fellow inmate doesn't do to Derek what was done to Geoghan or Dahmer. 

• Upvote 10

I'm glad Chauvin was convicted.  It was really disturbing to me to see the cause of Floyd's death being debated.  After a year of fear and constant precautions against COVID-19, it was a reminder of other threats still out there, and it makes me sad.

I'd have a lot more faith in my local police than I would around Minneapolis, and I'm a white, female, older person so my personal concern about potential biases certainly isn't the same as a black person's, but I still worry more now about the possibility of being pulled over or otherwise needing to interact with the police than I used to.  There's change happening but also a long way to go.

I sincerely hope that the future brings more gentle, yet effective, responses that correspond to actual threat levels.  I believe better screening and training can make a real difference.  Unfortunately, I think it'll be awhile before the culture of some police departments change for the better, since bias can be very deep-seated.  Superficial behaviors can change quickly but, unlike most routine interactions that people have with each other, an entrenched bias by someone who's armed and confronting you about something can potentially turn an already uncomfortable situation much, much worse.

I'd prefer to live in a world where people aren't so busy resenting each other for things that shouldn't matter at all.

• Upvote 8

53 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I'd have a lot more faith in my local police than I would around Minneapolis, and I'm a white, female, older person so my personal concern about potential biases certainly isn't the same as a black person's, but I still worry more now about the possibility of being pulled over or otherwise needing to interact with the police than I used to.  There's change happening but also a long way to go.

Minneapolis is generally a nice community but it just seems to me that St. Paul and Ramsey County are better run and have more of the community feeling than Minneapolis did.  Maybe it was because I tended to stay on the east side of the Twin Cities and not go over to Minneapolis quite as much when I was up there for school.   

• Upvote 3