IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 8: Adventures in Parenting While Possibly Denying Science

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I once was a part of a  cloth diaper forum and it was insane. People spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cloth diapers. They would get custom made diapers that cost a small fortune. People who were super into diapers were called diaper hyenas because they would spend hours "stalking" online diaper stores to grab the most exclusive diapers. 

The gushing about cloth diapers was the most ridiculous thing. I cloth diapered and it is just changing a diaper. It doesn't make anyone super special or unique. 

I have many many cousins. And one of those cousins was a cloth diaper hyena. I swear she spent so much money on cloth diapers. She even had specially embroidered ones with her children’s names on them and everything! She would post on FB about her diapers constantly. And now that her kids are potty trained, that part of her life is completely over. Let’s hope she could sell most of them to recoup a little bit of what she spent. I’ve never asked and I don’t think I want to. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, catlady said:

@Howl, Hannuleigh better get those chickens out of her garden asap!  Sure, they'll eat the grasshoppers and caterpillars, but they will scratch the hell out of the ground and kill all her cotton plants in the process.  Ask me why I have a 4-foot fence around my vegetable garden..... 

Not to worry; they're just part of the cloth diaper shared hallucination! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

I think I’m in the minority here because I actually do enjoy cloth diapering. Actually, I enjoy changing diapers. It makes me happy to make my baby fresh and clean. Now that his #2s are solid, it doesn’t feel gross. The transition was rough but even then, I didn’t mind. 

• Upvote 2

My SIL used cloth diapers for her first, but there was no waterproof barrier. The diaper was covered with huge "panties" made out of sheep's wool. Those never got washed bc apparently "wool cleans itself". Needless to say the baby was constantly soaking wet.....

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 4

2 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

The diaper was covered with huge "panties" made out of sheep's wool.

I had seen various social media posts by people using those woolen diaper covers. Of course, the posts raved about how wonderful & natural they were, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't help but wonder though about the saturation point and how well they ultimately worked.

• Upvote 2

Charlotte must be extremely bored for her to be cloth diapering and potty training her baby/whatever else she’s doing. I guarantee she’ll give up when she has baby #2. She definitely wants to be like all those other mommy influencers she follows and gushes over. 

A lot of “crunchy mamas” seem to be super pretentious and like to brag about how “natural“ they are like their baby is gonna grow up to be some immuno-invincible (I just made that up...) human or something... To the point of mom-shaming moms who use disposable diapers, don’t make their own baby food, and whatever the hell else. You do you, Charlotte. But I’m exhausted.

• Upvote 11

I forget that she's so young. Granted, her list of 'great decisions' would have sounded like hell to me when I was her age but to each their own. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

She’s been my new favorite hate follow for quite awhile. I cannot stand her. 

Me too. She is insufferable. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, mswhatsit said:

I forget that she's so young. Granted, her list of 'great decisions' would have sounded like hell to me when I was her age but to each their own. 

I agree. I wanted nothing to do with kids or even marriage at 21. I was much too busy with college at the time. Lotta only got married because her sisters were getting married. She’s always just followed what Jessica and Brigid did. I doubt she’s ever had an original thought. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

She's pretty awful with very few redeeming qualities.

2 hours ago, mswhatsit said:

I forget that she's so young.

Which is why I hope that she acquires some wisdom, humility & empathy. Unfortunately, that would probably only happen through some major, bad life event 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

My SIL used cloth diapers for her first, but there was no waterproof barrier. The diaper was covered with huge "panties" made out of sheep's wool. Those never got washed bc apparently "wool cleans itself". Needless to say the baby was constantly soaking wet.....

Wet, pee soaked wool has to smell awful. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Wet, pee soaked wool has to smell awful. 

Actually, the smell was not so bad, there was hardly any. But the baby's bottom was often in a rough shape.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

1EF9BDAD-7946-4958-AF56-68396B91D9C0.png

Apparently they Charolette didn't pay heed to the words of this song they sang .   

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 3

I’ve followed the Boyer Sisters since Charlotte was about 14-15. I was really into vintage fashion as a teenager (still am, just haven’t sewn or dressed up in a while) and really admired them. I didn’t know Charlotte was younger than me until a few years ago (they didn’t share their ages until they were all adults)... And now it makes so much sense to me because I don’t think I realized how immature she was until around the time Brigid got married. 

Was the video she shared of Kamala taken out of context somehow? I don’t think Charlotte, if she were in an alternate reality, would have made those decisions. If she wasn’t raised to believe her only option in life is to be a wife & mother as young as possible, she definitely could have explored graphic designing or something on a larger scale. 

ETA: Also, has she HEARD the things Trump has said about women, disabled, etc.?! Because if she’s basing her vote on that.... *gestures broadly*

Edited by Marionette
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

and honey, you don't own that house.... If your very young marriage doesn't work out, you will be left vulnerable and without a way to support yourself.

Edited by teachergirl
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

Actually, the smell was not so bad, there was hardly any. But the baby's bottom was often in a rough shape.

I wondered why quality cloth diapers were so expensive at garage sales - they cost a fortune intje 1st place.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, formergothardite said:

I once was a part of a  cloth diaper forum and it was insane. People spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cloth diapers. They would get custom made diapers that cost a small fortune. People who were super into diapers were called diaper hyenas because they would spend hours "stalking" online diaper stores to grab the most exclusive diapers. 

The gushing about cloth diapers was the most ridiculous thing. I cloth diapered and it is just changing a diaper. It doesn't make anyone super special or unique. 

Same here. I didn’t last long in the cloth-diapering community because it was just too hardcore for me. I think I got blackballed over bleach, which was apparently a hot-button issue. Long story short, it was normal to have a complicated wash routine in order to combat diaper odors (that vague barnyard scent) ... which could easily be remedied by just adding a little bleach. Oh, the controversy. The references to toxins , and dioxins, and extreme wear-and-tear to fabrics... all extrapolated from studies of industrial bleach used at full-strength. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

Same here. I didn’t last long in the cloth-diapering community because it was just too hardcore for me. I think I got blackballed over bleach, which was apparently a hot-button issue. Long story short, it was normal to have a complicated wash routine in order to combat diaper odors (that vague barnyard scent) ... which could easily be remedied by just adding a little bleach. Oh, the controversy. The references to toxins , and dioxins, and extreme wear-and-tear to fabrics... all extrapolated from studies of industrial bleach used at full-strength. 

These sorts of things crack me up. I have found this sort of thing in any mommy forum. Whether it’s breastfeeding, cloth diapering, or vaccinating. There is always someone that will flip the fuck out about the tiniest thing. I avoid those places like the plague. 

For example: go to a breastfeeding forum and talk about introducing a pacifier to your newborn. It will cause quite the shit storm ;)

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

The overly complicated washing routines were insane! Soak in filtered rain water.  Then a pre-rinse. Then the rinse with baking soda. Then a wash with baking soda and organic soap nuts that were hand picked by fair trade elves, Then another rinse with vinegar. And then the final rinse. THEN you had to place them in the sun to dry to remove stains/smells, but not too long in the sun or they would fade and the elastic would break. 

I was entirely too lazy to fit in with the hardcore cloth diaper people. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

Yet , in relation toa number of  hardcore Trumpists , this has been happening .  

A new Centers for Disease Control report indicates Americans are putting household disinfectants including bleach into their bodies because they believe such practices can ward off coronavirus — “preventive” measures that are both ineffective and dangerous.

The study, posted by the CDC Friday, explored how much its 502 participants knew about disinfectants and asked how those subjects were using such products to stop the spread of the deadly pandemic that has killed more than 110,000 Americans.

“These practices pose a risk of severe tissue damage and corrosive injury and should be strictly avoided,” the report said. “Although adverse health effects reported by respondents could not be attributed to their engaging in high-risk practices, the association between these high-risk practices and reported adverse health effects indicates a need for public messaging regarding safe and effective cleaning and disinfection practices aimed at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission in households.”

Concerns about the ingestion of household cleaning products spiked in April when President Trump speculated during a press briefing that disinfectants, “by injection inside or almost a cleaning,” could someday be used to clean the lungs of people infected with COVID-19.

According to the CDC, 4% of those surveyed, 20 people, admitted they’d drunk or gargled household agents including bleach. A staggering 18% of participants confessed they’d applied cleaning agents to their skin. Nearly 10% inhaled fumes from potentially toxic household disinfectants.

The median age of survey respondents was 46, with subjects ranging from 18 to 86 years of age. Those surveyed came from across the country and skewed slightly female.

The CDC said 63% of respondents identified as non-Hispanic white, 16% were Hispanic, 12% were non-Hispanic blacks, and 8% were multiracial or of other races and ethnicities.

The CDC continued to preach safe guidelines.

“COVID-19 prevention messages should continue to emphasize evidence-based, safe practices such as frequent hand hygiene and frequent cleaning and disinfection of high-touch surfaces,” the report said.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-cdc-drink-gargle-bleach-coronavirus-covid-20200605-jjfw6gcm4vhinp5yixsaj3njj4-story.html  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The overly complicated washing routines were insane! Soak in filtered rain water.  Then a pre-rinse. Then the rinse with baking soda. Then a wash with baking soda and organic soap nuts that were hand picked by fair trade elves, Then another rinse with vinegar. And then the final rinse. THEN you had to place them in the sun to dry to remove stains/smells, but not too long in the sun or they would fade and the elastic would break. 

DIL has cloth-diapered both grandchildren but somehow managed to avoid these kinds of madness. When I've been there to help, the wash-dry cycle is a bit longer due to a pre-soak but otherwise it seems reasonable. I'm a huge fan of sun-drying diapers -- nothing like it for fading or eliminating those stains. Putting them on the line for the day hardly wears out the elastic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

We don’t soak ours— adding an extra rinse cycle, washing on hot, and adding extra detergent + line drying in the Alabama sun gets rid of all stains and odors. I think some of the hardcore cloth diapering people make things extra difficult on themselves so they seem more self-sacrificial. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

On 8/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, EowynW said:

1EF9BDAD-7946-4958-AF56-68396B91D9C0.png

Oh, Lotta.....you credit God’s Grace for your stellar life choices; so let me ask:  if left to your own devices, what sort of decisions might you otherwise have made?  
and I hope your “great” decisions include a backup plan in case your husband should ever be rendered unable to work, or you are unable to provide care for your child(ren).  Do you *both* have life insurance?  Do you have the ability to get a job on short notice that will cover all of your expenses?  Can you afford health insurance in the event of a job loss?  Do you have a backup plan for child care?  
I trust your thirteen months of living outside of your parental authority have given you all the insight you need to have achieved such a superior life.  S/

Edited by catlady
Typos from hell
  • Upvote 13