IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 8: Adventures in Parenting While Possibly Denying Science

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

In Charlotte's case, choosing to avoid doing things "from a place of fear" basically just means that she's comfortable in her ignorance. 

Regarding Fritzgate: I suspect that his name is very close to Fritz, but probably isn't exactly that. She always hesitates a beat before saying out loud on Instagram stories, which I assume is just her quickly mentally checking to make sure she said the right name. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

In Charlotte's case, choosing to avoid doing things "from a place of fear" basically just means that she's comfortable in her ignorance. 

Regarding Fritzgate: I suspect that his name is very close to Fritz, but probably isn't exactly that. She always hesitates a beat before saying out loud on Instagram stories, which I assume is just her quickly mentally checking to make sure she said the right name. 

This is why I would just use his first letter like Brigid. She calls her kids A and E. I would be constantly messing up and calling him his real name. If his name is Felix and she calls him Fritz, I would get tongue tied. 

Close or not, I like that she’s using anything other than his real name. He has no say in being part of Charlotte’s content.  I have also liked that Brigid has kept her kids’ names under wraps, too.  

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, catlady said:

Close or not, I like that she’s using anything other than his real name. He has no say in being part of Charlotte’s content.  I have also liked that Brigid has kept her kids’ names under wraps, too.  

But public name or not – he basically *is* her content now, appearing in almost all of the posts she has made after he was born.

I don't really understand what not posting his first name does for his privacy. We know his last name, we know his parents' names, we have pictures... it's not like he's anonymous.

At some point Charlotte will slip up, or a commenter who knows them personally will use his real name. But even without that, it probably won't be hard to figure it out once he is older, unless they manage to keep him 100% offline apart from Charlotte's insta.

• Upvote 6

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the Boyers stop shopping at Target a few years back over their restroom policy?  
if that was true, Charlotte appears to have gotten over it.  per her current insta story, she’s using their tank tops to alter some lularoe dresses:

2A1B403D-D5B8-41B4-BB21-468F52765408.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Charlotte or as she likes to be called "lotta" has jumped head first into the COVID conspiracy cesspool. She's posting (on her instagram stories) about wayfair (the furniture company) child trafficking and today it is some garbage about masks. It made me angry enough that I felt like posting but then I remembered the cardinal FJ rule: don't touch the poop. So I didn't. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2

3 hours ago, browngrl said:

It made me angry enough that I felt like posting but then I remembered the cardinal FJ rule: don't touch the poop. So I didn't. 

This can be hard to do for those who live amongst those like this , and are confronted by such fringe sensationalized fear mongering in their personal life .  I find myself ever trying to fact check , in order to confirm or refute the latest rumors ; only to find that those whom are faith based , rather than fact based in their mentality do not care about demonstrable evidence .  I just wish that they would keep their unsubstantiated BS to themselves , but that might be too much to ask .  The best I can do is try not to take it personally , and not let it get under my skin . 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Marmion said:

This can be hard to do for those who live amongst those like this , and are confronted by such fringe sensationalized fear mongering in their personal life

It is a good thing there are no pro trump people in around me in real life because I would handle that very poorly. I suspect I'd need a lawyer on retainer to help me deal with all the fights I'd get into. I'm grateful I can turn off the tv or shut my computer. You have my sympathy if you have to deal with these idiots.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

You can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason themselves into.  I still have to remind myself of this frequently when I am tempted to engage with the crazy.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t stand it when people are excited about or in love with cloth diapering. It catches your child’s shit! Do people really think anyone cares about what goes on your baby’s bum? So you are excited about doing something good for the environment? Cool. But why post about it? No one posts about their recycling journey. No one posts about cutting their paper towel addiction. No one posts about switching to family cloth. Cloth diapering is as old as dirt. You aren’t new or special for doing it. 

CB88FECC-E646-4837-B97B-AC5FC14DFB54.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Do people really think anyone cares about what goes on your baby’s bum? So you are excited about doing something good for the environment? Cool. But why post about it?

I'm not clear on why this is a "journey." Either you use cloth diapers or you don't -- not seeing a journey in those choices.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I'm not clear on why this is a "journey." Either you use cloth diapers or you don't -- not seeing a journey in those choices.

Everything’s a journey in fundieland :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Everything’s a journey in fundieland :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

If it ain't a Journey, its a Season. Or the MAKING OF A MEMORY.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

If it ain't a Journey, its a Season. Or the MAKING OF A MEMORY.

It’s so creepy how they all talk alike. It’s one of the most cultish aspects of this type of fundie. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Cloth diapers - all there used to be existing until the last few decades.  Definitely not exciting.  More people used cloth diapers than disposables where we lived when my first child was born.  Disposables were considered an expensive luxury.  The big discussion about diapers was which diaper service to use if you had extra money to spend.

• Upvote 6

I have a child that had accidents for well over a year. And still does sometimes. I’ve changed a huge amount of poopy underwear. It’s not special or fun or exciting. It’s disgusting and awful. I would rather deal with throw up. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, Marmion said:

only to find that those who are faith based, rather than fact based in their mentality do not care about demonstrable evidence

I follow Chrissy Stroop (ex Evangelical; Empty the Pews) and Bruce Gerenscer (ex IFB preacher) on social media.  They agree that Evangelical Christianity is the perfect petri dish to grow conspiracy theories, now with QAnon! Distrust of government, science or expertise of any kind combined with a crappy homeschool education, leave a large part of this demographic with no critical thinking skills. 

Many others agree that this demographic is set; they aren't amenable to change because, as Marmion correctly noted, they do not care about demonstrable evidence. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Cloth diapers - all there used to be existing until the last few decades.

Yes. 30+ years ago DS spent much of his first 1.5 years in cloth diapers, thanks to the diaper service. We only used disposables when going out. Still remember that feeling of relief on Monday mornings when we set out the bag of used diapers & took in a lovely, beautifully laundered package of the next week's supply.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s disgusting and awful.

Yes, especially when the child goes from breast milk only to other foods, especially meat. 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

A follow up: I (re) found the article about Christians and conspiracy theories, specific to Qanon. The first part of the article discusses what QAnon is and when it arose.  The second part is specific to Evangelicals. 

The Strange and Curious Cult of QAnon

Now back to poopy cloth diapers.  I still remember going to people's houses when I was a kid and the utterly nasty, gross, stinky diaper pail. 

• Upvote 1

I would like to invite everyone to join me virtually on my vodka journey once the kids are in bed.  In this season of life, I find it particularly helpful.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 15

My problem isn't with people publicly sharing that they use cloth diapers. It's the gloating that goes with it - "I'm an expert at cloth diapering and I'm going to teach you in a lengthy blog post and my instagram stories exactly how to do it" after using them for like a month. And worse than that, the disingenuous "I loooove cloth diapering". Really? You love touching shit and doing extra laundry? I found that the cloth diapering community is a maddening judgey group of moms who bicker on the best way to wash, prewash, rinse, double rinse, sun dry, vinegar soak, tea tree disinfect their precious diapers.

Not to mention that cloth diapering is only realistic with a stay-at-home parent. We used them for a few months until my daughter started daycare, then it was it. I don't blame daycares for not wanting to rinse shit off diapers. It was a lot of work, a lot of folding and laundry, her bum was often wet and irritated and it's a very gross process overall. I'm glad we saved hundreds of diapers from the landfill but I don't blame anyone who doesn't wish to try.

Edited by usedbicycle
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I once was a part of a  cloth diaper forum and it was insane. People spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cloth diapers. They would get custom made diapers that cost a small fortune. People who were super into diapers were called diaper hyenas because they would spend hours "stalking" online diaper stores to grab the most exclusive diapers. 

The gushing about cloth diapers was the most ridiculous thing. I cloth diapered and it is just changing a diaper. It doesn't make anyone super special or unique. 

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 1

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

They would get custom made diapers that cost a small fortune.

The word "artisanal" comes to mind. 

*gauzy fade to a cotton field garden where each individual plant is lovingly tended by a young woman (Hannuhleigh) wearing birkenstocks*

Hannuhleigh sprinkles each plant from a watering can on a perfect summer morning, while her flock of chickens dart among the plants, eating grasshoppers and caterpillars.  Birds trill from the trees. 

Later that summer, Hannuleigh will gently coax each precious and fluffy tuft of cotton from its boll, then spin it by hand, and weave into the cloth to make your baby's diaper. 

In my mind, Hannuleigh is wearing clothes from Magnolia Pearl and frequently smokes opium as a respite from the soul sucking  tedium of artisanal cotton processing. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

@Howl, Hannuleigh better get those chickens out of her garden asap!  Sure, they'll eat the grasshoppers and caterpillars, but they will scratch the hell out of the ground and kill all her cotton plants in the process.  Ask me why I have a 4-foot fence around my vegetable garden..... 

(but I SEVERELY love your story!!)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1