IGNORED

Jinjer 53: Telework, Teleschool, or Telenothing?

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe that was the agreement. Let me make some cash of the prints and you can have it as a discount. If I commissioned a piece, it would be for me and I would not want it hanging in anyone one else’s house. Unless it was one for my house and one for felicity’s. (If it was a gift for when she got older). 
Once she put the photo up that it was painted from, I can see the artist did the best she could with a not great pic. 
Someone on fb said the painting reminded them of a babysitters club book cover. I agree. 
to derail the thread. Just how good was the new babysitters club series on Netflix. My nostalgic arse really enjoyed it. 

I agree it was really good. I was skeptical because I've very rarely ever liked reboots and seeing Alicia Silverstone as Elizabeth. When it was announced I thought she'd make a better fit as Dawn's or Stacey's mom. But they did a great job! The first series was great. I love the changes they made. They changed Mary Anne to biracial and Dawn to Latinx and it worked. Mary Anne was still Mary Anne the shy uncertain twelve year old raised by a very overprotective widowed father. I always had a soft spot for Richard. Losing your wife when your child was a baby had to be hard. Alicia Silverstone made the perfect Elizabeth. I love her and Kristy's relationship. How supportive Watson tried to be and I get why Kristy kept shutting him down. That's another thing I really liked in the season that I always wished they'd address in the books Kristy's dad abandoned the family when she was six and it really affected her. But in the Netflix series they addressed that. They showed how much it was still affecting her. I liked how they handled Mary Anne babysitting a girl and her realizing she's transgender. I like her and Dawn talking later about it love Dawn's simple explanation about how Mary Anne knowing your left or right hand to Bailey knowing she's a girl. Mary Anne standing up to the doctor and nurse for her was really good. Claudia was cool and so was Stacey. I also liked what they did with Karen. In the books I hated her. She was such a brat. I love Kristy pointing out to her mom that her teacher would never make a boy write an essay on decorum. I can't wait for season too. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Maybe it's because I'm so much older than the characters now, or because I'm so used to seeing older actors play teenagers in shows/movies, but it was a little jarring to me to see the cast of actual 13 year olds. They looked SOOOO young. I thought they were all phenomenal in their roles, I just kept thinking "they're not old enough to babysit!"

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

33 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

Maybe it's because I'm so much older than the characters now, or because I'm so used to seeing older actors play teenagers in shows/movies, but it was a little jarring to me to see the cast of actual 13 year olds. They looked SOOOO young. I thought they were all phenomenal in their roles, I just kept thinking "they're not old enough to babysit!"

Respectfully, I was in my teens in the 80s and it was very common to start babysitting when you were about 12 or 13 years old. many of us in that age range had younger brothers or sisters that we were around and we knew the basics of taking care of them for a few hours and keeping them alive. Some parents even preferred us a little younger as they were concerned older high school students (16+) would be busy with school activities, or other work, or dates. I know many of us looked forward to being in 6th grader Junior high because we felt we could start earning money by babysitting.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Respectfully, I was in my teens in the 80s and it was very common to start babysitting when you were about 12 or 13 years old. many of us in that age range had younger brothers or sisters that we were around and we knew the basics of taking care of them for a few hours and keeping them alive. Some parents even preferred us a little younger as they were concerned older high school students (16+) would be busy with school activities, or other work, or dates. I know many of us looked forward to being in 6th grader Junior high because we felt we could start earning money by babysitting.

Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear; I actually started babysitting around the same age. It's just that the actresses in the new series look so young to me compared to the images I have in my head from reading the book and watching the original series and movie. It's not that I think 12 or 13 is too young to babysit, more that my mental image of what 12 or 13 looks like is apparently skewed.

• Upvote 10

I loved these books when I was young (even though I was always more of a Sweet Valley twins girl) but I was dubious about watching the show as a woman in her thirties. Decided to go for it and watched it in two days. It was SO GOOD!!! 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I started baby sitting at 11 years old. Not just my younger siblings but neighbor kids as well. I really branched out and watched kids all over town once I turned 12, by the time I was 15 I'd made enough money to save over $1000, I turned 15 in 1985, that was a LOT of money at the time.  

• Upvote 5

I baby-sat for the first and last time when I was 12.

As an adult I'm not sure how I feel about it, but when I was a kid I was a big BSC fan, and thought 13 was so totally grown-up and mature. ? I watched the 1991 series a few years after it aired, and didn't like it too much - it seemed kind of awkward and forced. The best day of my life was when my mom came home with the 1995 movie, though! I've used Mary Anne's "I'm not going to cry" a few times...

• Upvote 4

I thought the lady that painted the picture was at Jinger’s surprise party. I could be misremembering but I thought they showed her. I figured that she was a church friend and probably did it for a reduced fee or just to get her name out there. 
I think felicity looks spot on but Jinger just isn’t Jinger. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 8/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, JordynDarby5 said:

I agree it was really good. I was skeptical because I've very rarely ever liked reboots and seeing Alicia Silverstone as Elizabeth. When it was announced I thought she'd make a better fit as Dawn's or Stacey's mom. But they did a great job! The first series was great. I love the changes they made. They changed Mary Anne to biracial and Dawn to Latinx and it worked. Mary Anne was still Mary Anne the shy uncertain twelve year old raised by a very overprotective widowed father. I always had a soft spot for Richard. Losing your wife when your child was a baby had to be hard. Alicia Silverstone made the perfect Elizabeth. I love her and Kristy's relationship. How supportive Watson tried to be and I get why Kristy kept shutting him down. That's another thing I really liked in the season that I always wished they'd address in the books Kristy's dad abandoned the family when she was six and it really affected her. But in the Netflix series they addressed that. They showed how much it was still affecting her. I liked how they handled Mary Anne babysitting a girl and her realizing she's transgender. I like her and Dawn talking later about it love Dawn's simple explanation about how Mary Anne knowing your left or right hand to Bailey knowing she's a girl. Mary Anne standing up to the doctor and nurse for her was really good. Claudia was cool and so was Stacey. I also liked what they did with Karen. In the books I hated her. She was such a brat. I love Kristy pointing out to her mom that her teacher would never make a boy write an essay on decorum. I can't wait for season too. 

and nerd me loved the little clueless references. The yellow check and I’m sure it was an “as if” in there somewhere. Or something else iconic spoken. I know I noticed two things. That really tickled me. And I thought she was well Cast. I agree that the changes they made suited. Which when Netflix takes over i usually can’t stand. Don’t get me started how I think lucy maud Montgomery would be rolling in her grave over Ann with an E. I can’t watch that crap. It breaks my poor little ten year old ginger heart. Some shit is sacred man. Just sacred. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Don’t get me started how I think lucy maud Montgomery would be rolling in her grave over Ann with an E. I can’t watch that crap. 

Please get started! I've been meaning to watch it. What are your biggest issues with it?

5 minutes ago, dolcez said:

Please get started! I've been meaning to watch it. What are your biggest issues with it?

I only watched a little before I was done. Martin Sheen 's portrayal of Matthew really bothered me. His personality is quite different than the books. Matthew was a shy man and I was a shy child. I understood Matthew. I was angry that they made that change. There were other issies, but I don't remember them now. I never got past the first episode.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, dolcez said:

there is another best friend in between Diana and Anne a male. So I’m off put straight away. You don’t get between bosom Friends. I’m pretty sure from the brief bits I watched he is struggling with his sexuality.
I get that young children would have been struggling with their sexuality back then and been in a worse situation than most kids these days. But I was like omg I turned it on for Anne Shirley, Gilbert and Diana etc. I sighed and turned it off. I just wanted pure Anne stories.  Funnily enough  I didn’t have the same absolute rage feelings I had for this series that I had for the final Anne of green gables movie by that Kevin director guy The war one starring Megan follows and Jonathan crombie, rip his beautifulness. I wanted to fly to Canada and shoot that director for the travesty he made of that movie.. Anne’s “other” love interest in the movie  is Aussie. I have found it hard to look at him since. That is my most rage inducing. That movie was shitness to the high heavens and nothing of the books. I was so upset I cried. Lol 

6 minutes ago, Ali said:

I only watched a little before I was done. Martin Sheen 's portrayal of Matthew really bothered me. His personality is quite different than the books. Matthew was a shy man and I was a shy child. I understood Matthew. I was angry that they made that change. There were other issies, but I don't remember them now. I never got past the first episode.

I don’t think that is the Netflix one. I haven’t watched that one. I heard it was crap too. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

16 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don’t think that is the Netflix one. I haven’t watched that one. I heard it was crap too

I looked it up and you're right. Thanks! Two bad ones. I will stick with the 1985 version. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

The painting makes me think of the painting Amy had done of her and Penny on The Big Bang Theory. 

Yes! Absolutely! I even thought of looking up that BBT episode to see if they listed the artist, but decided I wasn't that interested.

Edited by Honey Beach
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

and nerd me loved the little clueless references. The yellow check and I’m sure it was an “as if” in there somewhere. Or something else iconic spoken. I know I noticed two things. That really tickled me. And I thought she was well Cast. I agree that the changes they made suited. Which when Netflix takes over i usually can’t stand. Don’t get me started how I think lucy maud Montgomery would be rolling in her grave over Ann with an E. I can’t watch that crap. It breaks my poor little ten year old ginger heart. Some shit is sacred man. Just sacred. 

I couldn’t get past the first episode of Anne with an E either! You don’t mess with perfection! 

• I Agree 1

@Tatar-tot I love the teletubbies! When the first episode came out, its was about 10am on a weekday, my eldest was sat in her walker at 3 months old, and she laughed and cried the whole way thru and she loved it ever since ?

• Love 3

5 hours ago, dolcez said:

I hated it with a passion. First of all- why set up not just one but several completely new storylines? Is the original story not interesting enough? If you feel it doesn’t give enough plot for three seasons (and it doesn’t in my opinion)- just make one? 
The whole Anne and Gilbert hate to competition to great friendship to love was completely off due to a new Gilbert story. 
The actress couldn’t match Anne’s spirit. Anne was really really annoying. The book caught her dramatic, poetic and dreamy side but a lot of her actions were also routed in her being a child with great imagination. Her actions were mostly funny. Series Anne was an annoying gossip whose exaggerations seemed plain stupid and not endearing at all. I think a lot of that were due to all the new storylines. 
Matthew and Marilla were the best characters in the series (and they are obviously great in the book too). But to leave out Matthews death- the tears I cried over the years. Such powerful writing, the way the emotions were captured. It brings me to tears every time I read it.
The series basically took the characters and based a slightly similar fanfic on the books.

I get that filmmakers try to show more diversity. That is fantastic. But the books aren’t diverse. And the new stories told don’t even portray the storylines of those people. They are fantasy stories because most of it wouldn’t have happened. The few realistic touches cannot conceal that. You cannot swap out the original characters as everyone would realise that this would not work. Not in that time. So, please PLEASE why don’t put your energy and money and purchase a script from someone who is part of a minority community? Give them a voice to tell their own stories. Or use books that hold a similar sentiment for their communities? Where they feel represented? Why not bring scripts that show real storylines for those characters? Because, while Anne is obviously fiction- it is not fantasy. Maybe, those books need to stay books. They don’t fit into our modern and liberal approach. So, just maybe leave them be and create something new?

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I hated it with a passion. First of all- why set up not just one but several completely new storylines? Is the original story not interesting enough? If you feel it doesn’t give enough plot for three seasons (and it doesn’t in my opinion)- just make one? 
The whole Anne and Gilbert hate to competition to great friendship to love was completely off due to a new Gilbert story. 
The actress couldn’t match Anne’s spirit. Anne was really really annoying. The book caught her dramatic, poetic and dreamy side but a lot of her actions were also routed in her being a child with great imagination. Her actions were mostly funny. Series Anne was an annoying gossip whose exaggerations seemed plain stupid and not endearing at all. I think a lot of that were due to all the new storylines. 
Matthew and Marilla were the best characters in the series (and they are obviously great in the book too). But to leave out Matthews death- the tears I cried over the years. Such powerful writing, the way the emotions were captured. It brings me to tears every time I read it.
The series basically took the characters and based a slightly similar fanfic on the books.

I get that filmmakers try to show more diversity. That is fantastic. But the books aren’t diverse. And the new stories told don’t even portray the storylines of those people. They are fantasy stories because most of it wouldn’t have happened. The few realistic touches cannot conceal that. You cannot swap out the original characters as everyone would realise that this would not work. Not in that time. So, please PLEASE why don’t put your energy and money and purchase a script from someone who is part of a minority community? Give them a voice to tell their own stories. Or use books that hold a similar sentiment for their communities? Where they feel represented? Why not bring scripts that show real storylines for those characters? Because, while Anne is obviously fiction- it is not fantasy. Maybe, those books need to stay books. They don’t fit into our modern and liberal approach. So, just maybe leave them be and create something new?

Omg you said or way better than me. This and all this. 
I hate that this may be some people’s introduction to Anne. And they may never know her true perfection. Those books got me through a tough (at times) childhood. She was my hero. She faced hardship with dignity intelligence and courage. 
and that’s why I liked babysitters club. Their “updates” biracial maryanne a Latino dawn and a transgender child. Work. They really work to update the an older series. You could imagine if the story was written now this is how it would be. 
Changes in Anne with an e did not work. And do not do the original justice. It’s a different era. It would be like putting a infra red camera in saving private Ryan. Tbh I don’t know when infra red was invented. But never let that get in the way of a clumsy made point. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 5

On 8/22/2020 at 1:32 AM, mstee said:

I thought the lady that painted the picture was at Jinger’s surprise party. I could be misremembering but I thought they showed her. I figured that she was a church friend and probably did it for a reduced fee or just to get her name out there. 
I think felicity looks spot on but Jinger just isn’t Jinger. 

You are correct- I just watched the episode and the artist was at the party/unveiling. They didn't say if she was a church friend or not, but she was there.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Jinger’s miscarriage hit me a lot harder than any of the others that they’ve talked about on the show. I can’t recall the timing of the others in the pregnancy or in relation to sharing the news with family. I’ve been through that extreme roller coaster of emotion like Jinger, though. In February, I announced my first pregnancy to family and close friends a couple days before ending up in the ER and learning it was a molar pregnancy. And to add a little salt to the wound, it progressed into stage 3 cancer. 

• Love 38

16 hours ago, Ali said:

Yes! I am a die hard Anne and LMM fan and loathed Anne with an E. I barely made it through season 1. I wanted to like it because it seemed they were going to explore Anne’s optimism as a coping mechanism for her trauma. Which they kind of did, but then she rallied pretty quickly. It’s like they took the story and said: how can we make this preach with current values? It’s really cringeworthy and IMO full of tokenism and savior-ally-stuff

Gilbert takes off to sea and ends up in the Caribbean where he learns about racism and ends up bringing a Black sailor back to PEI so everyone in Avonlea can learn how to operate by current anti racist values. Of course Gilbert and Anne have somehow managed to not inherit the racism of Avonlea. Also despite all Gilbert’s  world travels he’s still pining for schoolgirl Anne.

Aunt Josephine is a lesbian and throws a magnificent gala that is so anachronistic I could barely stand it. Anne declares Josephine “so brave” and someone at the party tells her she likes Anne’s “pixie cut.” Dianna is stodgy and struggles with homophobia. 

There’s also a closeted boy at the Avonlea school who doesn’t fit in because he’s artistic and quiet. And Diana’s parents are Uber rich and snobby and selfish. Stereotypes and preachiness abound but Anne somehow comes through thoroughly modern and woke. 

And there’s also a plot line where con men come to Avonlea with some gold digging scheme. I mean, it’s really so bad.  LMM would be rolling in her grave. 

It could have been interesting to explore what a relationship for a lesbian at that time might have actually been like (LMM herself was intensely homophobic and wrote about it in her journals) or to tell some of the stories hinted at in LMM books about the racism with the French speaking hires workers. But instead they made everything so cliche and smug and then went completely off script.

WHY CAN’T ANY ANNE ADAPTATION just tell the stories? The books are amazing but every director decides to spice them up and it’s horrible.

16 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

y enough  I didn’t have the same absolute rage feelings I had for this series that I had for the final Anne of green gables movie by that Kevin director guy The war one starring Megan follows and Jonathan crombie, rip his beautifulness. I wanted to fly to Canada and shoot that director for the travesty he made of that movie.. Anne’s “other” love interest in the movie  is Aussie. I have found it hard to look at him since. That is my most rage inducing. That movie was shitness to the high heavens and nothing of the books. I was so upset I cried. Lol 

I don’t think that is the Netflix one. I haven’t watched that one. I heard it was crap too. 

YES! My blood pressure rises just thinking about that third one. They put old Anne in WW2 battlefields. Total rubbish.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I So, please PLEASE why don’t put your energy and money and purchase a script from someone who is part of a minority community? Give them a voice to tell their own stories. Or use books that hold a similar sentiment for their communities? Where they feel represented? Why not bring scripts that show real storylines for those characters?

This. Eleventy thousand  percent.

They really only had two options IMO: do the work to make it historically accurate to the time/place if you want to look at what the/gender/sexuality were like on PEI in 1890s or be faithful to the stories as they are. They chose neither and made a tortured preachy melodrama.

PS I also agree - I thought Marilla has the most potential in the new series. I liked that they thought about her backstory but it had started getting melodramatic when I quit watching.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic