IGNORED

Maxwell 38: Forgotten Jesse and the Spinsters Have to Replace the Vests for the Wedding

Coconut Flan

14 hours ago, Bethy said:

That REALLY looks like the bridge/falls at the Gorge in Cedarville. I'll be very interested to see pictures showing the venue because I'm wondering which church in that town is conservative enough for a family that a Max would marry from. (Or maybe the whole thing was at the Gorge. But that would be an awful risk to take with Ohio springtime weather. It's been a monsoon there a good part of this past week and tornadoes aren't out of the ordinary this time of year.)

I wonder if it's in an off-center bun that just doesn't show in the picture? She could have very thin/fine hair that would make a very small bun that would "disappear" at that angle.

Cedarville in general is pretty conservative (I live in the same county.) I can’t decide if that pic is from the Cedarville falls or not. That is a semi popular place for weddings. If so it’s part of Indian Mound Reserve, part of the Greene county park system. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Did they have a reception? If they aren't allowed to dance, drink, or talk to people they aren't married to, what happens at these receptions? Why bother wasting the money? 

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

The sleeves are made of such thick material that they have to be baggy to allow the elbow to bend. It was a bad design decision... The dress would look so pretty with cap sleeves right where the shoulder seam is. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Did they have a reception? If they aren't allowed to dance, drink, or talk to people they aren't married to, what happens at these receptions? Why bother wasting the money? 

From past weddings, they have something to eat - or, if you're Nathan & Melaine, you go all out and have mints & punch! - maybe some speeches, fellowshipping, maybe a cake gets cut & served.

That's it. That's a fundie reception. And, the something to eat part is always a point of contention & brings up 3,000 FJ opinions of reception food or not and when and what. Pose for pictures. 

As I said, Nathan & Melanie had mints & punch. Joe & Elissa had a pot luck style something, if I remember correctly-Christ has pictures of pasta salad on his site. They had a cake. Chelsy & John had Taco soup. No idea what Chris & Anna had, other than cake. Lots of pictures of cake. 

• Upvote 13

11 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Her necklace is a bit much, but good for her for wearing it as well as earrings. That must piss Steve since the Maxwell ladies don't wear any jewellery. Too bad Anna 3.0 did not have any contrasting buttons.

Has Steve ever confirmed that he is officially anti-jewelry? If so, I suppose it makes sense that they wear so many scarves and headbands since those are their only acceptable accessories. 

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Eat cake

Fellowship

Pose for pictures

Fellowship

Catch the bouquet/"arm band"

Fellowship

See the couple off

Blog about all the fellowshipping you did

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 12

Not everybody around the world drink or dance or allow boys/girls conversation, but in spite of these strict rules, great wedding parties are common for many cultures. Marriage is the main goal in traditional societies, and is often celebrated with the best clothes, best food, decorations etc.

I absolutely understand being frugal. And being poor with no money to spend in a party. But fundies are so dull and cheap... It's the biggest day on their lives, but their guests go back home hungry. 

In the case of Maxwells, they are not.the worst I've seen. There has been food in the weddings, with proper tables and chairs. They dress fine, etc. Seem to take weddings like an important event.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

Steve gives a more in-depth TED talk on his vasectomy reversal? That’s all I’ve got.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 18

Do Fundies do toasts with non-alcoholic beverages? On the one hand, it seems like it'd work for them, since it doesn't involve dancing, gives them something to do during the reception, and gives the parents a time to talk. But I wonder if the association with alcohol still makes it seem sinful?

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Do Fundies do toasts with non-alcoholic beverages? On the one hand, it seems like it'd work for them, since it doesn't involve dancing and gives the parents a time present during the reception. But I wonder if the association with alcohol still makes it seem sinful?

I really don't know if it is common but my husband's fundie lite missionary cousin and wife toasted with sparkling apple cider. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

I saw that Jesse did get married to Anna Craig today. For what it is worth I am happy they were able to go through with the wedding. I have seen news reports and posts on websites about couples who were able to get married despite the pandemic. Now, onto the dull posts about the wedding by Sarah.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

@CyborgKin I did realise after writing that post that I sounded overly-interested in the story!

Nah, I assume anyone in the thread expressing interest in the Maxwells - and especially something like courtship stories - is speaking with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

• Upvote 8

6 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I really don't know if it is common but my husband's fundie lite missionary cousin and wife toasted with sparkling apple cider. 

That makes sense. The Mormon wedding I went to had a TON of toasts, all with sparkling apple cider. (And lots of sex talk...?). But my Mormon friends are pretty chill and non-judgmental, all things considered. 

Steve No-Contrasting Buttons on the other hand is not so... 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm sure there will be future blog posts by, most likely, Sarah who will entertain us with the details of Jesse and Anna's special day. After all this is what they did for all of the other married couples on their blog. Remember the Bontragers and Chelsy both have active blogs, so both families, if i remember correctly, posted more before the Maxwells could post about John and Chelsy's. Sarah did the same for Anna Marie and Christopher and Joseph and Elissa. 

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Do Fundies do toasts with non-alcoholic beverages? On the one hand, it seems like it'd work for them, since it doesn't involve dancing and gives the parents a time present during the reception. But I wonder if the association with alcohol still makes it seem sinful?

In my experience with Baptists and other teetotalers growing up, they don't (or didn't) toast.  Just boring food -and not much of that-, no dancing, no music, and people standing around.  Now some fundies especially non-Southerners like the Maxwells, do sometimes have more food, but when I was growing up it was finger sandwiches like chicken salad or pimento cheese, butter mints )the tiny pastel squares), maybe nuts,  the wedding cake and the damnable, omnipresent cheese straws.  I HATE cheese straws.  Things are changing though as @nvmbr02 just mentioned.  

There were and are class differences, too.  Well-to-do Texans would tend to have barbecues while rich WASPs would have less elaborate food*, but both of them had an orchestra or band for dancing and booze.  Ethnic weddings would tend to have more food even if it wasn't always fancy food.

*Not sure if that's still true about rich WASPS having simpler receptions or not.  That was true about 45 years ago and may well not hold anymore.

ETA:  The last wedding reception I attended would have been much better had it been simpler.  They didn't not have an open bar and the only beverages served for free were water and one glass of iced tea. They had some appetizers for people to eat while the photos were being made, but they weren't all that great and the meal was nothing to write home about either.  These folks over-reached.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, divadivine said:

I had forgotten how hideous Chelsy’s bridesmaid dresses were.... that fabric- gag. 

I either forgot or missed that pic.  I'm glad you made that comment cos I was thinking "is it just me or is that fabric pretty hideous?"

Some wedding receptions I've been to had alcohol and dancing, some didn't.  Most had at least some dancing.  I think the ones without dancing were the ones that had lunchtime receptions rather than dinnertime receptions.  (though one of those was also a deaf wedding, so I'm not surprised.  at least, I don't remember any dancing but that might be because the main thing I remember was that it was very Doctor Who themed)

Edited by CyborgKin
wedding stuff
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Still no word on where Jesse and Anna Patrice will be living. There are currently no property records under Jesse's name in Leavenworth County, which means that the sale of his original house did go through. I'm wondering if there's a delay in either the purchase of a new house or possibly the website isn't being updated regularly due to the shutdown. I suppose another possibility is that they'll be living at Gigi's house or the main house, or horror of horrors- renting. 

• Upvote 12

I know this is a well worn path on FJ, but for the life of me I can not get my head around the lack of food at fundie weddings. I'm of East Indian background and food is a critical component at a wedding (or really any gathering). In my family at least we all seem to be terrified that someone, somehow, some time might leave one of our gatherings feeling ever so  slightly peckish. 

• Upvote 24
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

From past weddings, they have something to eat - or, if you're Nathan & Melaine, you go all out and have mints & punch! - maybe some speeches, fellowshipping, maybe a cake gets cut & served.

That's it. That's a fundie reception. And, the something to eat part is always a point of contention & brings up 3,000 FJ opinions of reception food or not and when and what. Pose for pictures. 

As I said, Nathan & Melanie had mints & punch. Joe & Elissa had a pot luck style something, if I remember correctly-Christ has pictures of pasta salad on his site. They had a cake. Chelsy & John had Taco soup. No idea what Chris & Anna had, other than cake. Lots of pictures of cake. 

Wow! The Maxwells really are important if Jesus has pictures of their wedding food on his site! Maybe they actually do have all the answers! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

I'm not a fan of weddings (planning them or going to them) and I eloped with zero regrets.  But I will say that I don't get the no-food, no-entertainment kind of wedding either.  Mints and punch? Really?  Why go to all that trouble getting people there in all their finery, with decorations, and a million attendants if you're not going to put yourself out a little to thank them for the effort?  I go to weddings under duress, and I've mostly been lucky in that the food served was excellent.  My husband's family is huge, so there are always a lot of weddings, funerals, and baby showers.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

My experience with Fundie ish weddings were also of the small town variety. I have found that there are two types: cake and punch only OR potluck. The cake and punch were never very fun- people had to leave quickly to get food. However, the potluck styles were often tastier than some fancy weddings I've been to. Everyone at the church would bring their very best dish- and these small town ladies could sure cook. It was something they all did for each other's kids/families so no one minded pitching in. It wasn't a huge expense for anyone and it was a really good meal. 

• Upvote 14

My experience in the south with the cake and punch receptions were the weddings were held around 2 pm and the reception at 3 pm so no one was being starved.  The receptions were over by 4 or so with plenty of time for people to get dinner.  

• Upvote 5

Shouldn’t the Steve Maxwell family have all of his kids in the picture not just the single ones?AAAEA764-B736-4868-BE33-D185788C642C.thumb.png.a40d0c15665da87d25510a00e1b28981.png

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Shouldn’t the Steve Maxwell family have all of his kids in the picture not just the single ones?

Once you leave & cleave you’re only part of the extended family & you lose your spot on the dog & pony show website. 

• Upvote 14

Oh you sweet summer child...

49174654-7603-43C1-987F-74634D708DC9.jpeg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh you sweet summer child...

49174654-7603-43C1-987F-74634D708DC9.jpeg

My first reaction was to laugh, but then, well...you know.  I remembered the reality of their situation. :my_cry:

• Upvote 13

• Coconut Flan locked this topic