IGNORED

Maxwell 38: Forgotten Jesse and the Spinsters Have to Replace the Vests for the Wedding

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I am "Tia" to our niece, so other women, some biologically related, some not, can be her Auntie. We aren't native Spanish speakers, but, just like many 21st Century Americans, its the non-English language we know best.  

Telling us to not use Spanish words is like telling us to not eat tamales or carne asada. I don't see how this "stay in your ethnic lane" school of thought helps anyone become a better neighbor and global citizen.

I fail to see how not appropriating family names from another culture is the same as eating foods from that culture, but mileage varies I guess.

I am not of Hispanic descent, but if someone learned a language of my background for the sole purpose of traveling to god bother people about how they are being Christians wrong I would resent that person picking and choosing which parts of my culture were cute enough to adopt.

It’s not the end of the world, but I felt the same when Jill’s boys call Derek Papi.  Their only ties to SA culture is due to their “mission.”

That adds an element of imperialism to it that doesn’t exist when people are doing it for whatever harmless reason.

• Upvote 10

Looks like John was showing off his Dad bod. Chelsy's been feeding him well! I'm also impressed with the amount of food for their cookout. Watch for a seriously Dad's post on the sin of gluttony soon!

• Upvote 8

I think Joseph and Elissa were there because I am pretty sure I spotted Calia and maybe Kyle. I did not see Tina though, which is a little odd since I didn't see any clear pictures of her at the wedding either. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, fundiefollower said:

Since she said it was "a little late"  I think they celebrated the following Saturday.

I get that - but they said they moved it from Monday to Saturday - so apparently their were originally going to make the Monday after Memorial Day their holiday, until the weather intervened. 

Such strange, strange people. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fundiefollower said:

Since she said it was "a little late"  I think they celebrated the following Saturday.

And that would be closer to the date that was traditionally Memorial Day, May 30.  

Several Federal holidays had their dates changed in 1968 under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act where the dates were changed from the traditional date to a Monday so that Federal employees could have a three day weekend. The change became affected in 1971.  The holidays affected were  Washington's Birthday (moved  from February 22 to third Monday), Memorial Day, Labor Day (moved from 1 September to first Monday),  Columbus Day (October 12 to second Monday) and originally Veteran's Day which was changed to the fourth Monday in October from November 11.  The date was changed back to November 11 in 1978 as that was the actual date of the end of WWI.  

Washington's Birthday is often called President's Day, but that is not the official name for the Federal Holiday, and Columbus Day was only celebrated in some states prior to the passage of the act.  

ETA: My Chinese granddaughters call their Dad "Baba" which is Mandarin for dad.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I get that - but they said they moved it from Monday to Saturday - so apparently their were originally going to make the Monday after Memorial Day their holiday, until the weather intervened. 

Such strange, strange people. 

Totally agree that they are strange but I think Sarah meant they were moving it from Monday (Memorial Day) to the following Saturday because of bad weather. Poorly worded, but I would expect nothing less from Sarah.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

ETA: My Chinese granddaughters call their Dad "Baba" which is Mandarin for dad.

I watch The Little Couple. Baba is what the kids call their father.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Totally agree that they are strange but I think Sarah meant they were moving it from Monday (Memorial Day) to the following Saturday because of bad weather. Poorly worded, but I would expect nothing less from Sarah.

Ah, that makes complete sense. In a world where words have meaning, that is. Thanks.

• Upvote 4

What I think is strange is how little Sarah has actually talked about the wedding. She hasn't given us any actual details that mean anything. Just a random spattering of photos. I think this event is hard for her to talk about. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

What I think is strange is how little Sarah has actually talked about the wedding. She hasn't given us any actual details that mean anything. Just a random spattering of photos. I think this event is hard for her to talk about. 

She did point out how her sister Anna is great with kids, which reminded me of Lydia of Purple's page of eligible daughters for sale. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic