IGNORED

Maxwell 38: Forgotten Jesse and the Spinsters Have to Replace the Vests for the Wedding

Coconut Flan

@daisyjane1234- I am so sorry for what you've been through and the loss of your son. 

As for Anna, I hope this is quickly resolved & she can resume treatment & move on. Whatever her view of the situation or her abhorrent beliefs, as a human being, she deserves that fighting chance. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Shopped at Gordon Food Service last week, which is a restaurant supply store, and got quite a few things I can't find in the stores.  I got a 5# box of frozen cod planks, 5 oz each.  I can pull a few out of the box and bake/broil/grill them as needed.  We also got frozen ground beef patties when we couldn't get ground beef at the grocery store.  Got bread flour, frozen pastas like ravioli and tortellini, deli meats, dried potatoes: hashbrowns, pearls for mashed, augrautin, packages of hamburg and hotdog buns.  Things come in big sizes, so you get 25# of flour, 18 sandwich buns, or 5# of meat or several pounds of frozen fruits or veggies so you need storage space or room in your freezer.  I break down the big packages into smaller portions and put them in vacuum seal bags.  They also have all kinds of fresh produce and dairy.   They also offer online ordering and in store pickup, so if you are having trouble finding things at the local grocery stores, try the restaurant supply stores you'll be surprised what you can find there, and they are open to the public.   

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

34 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Shopped at Gordon Food Service last week, which is a restaurant supply store, and got quite a few things I can't find in the stores.  I got a 5# box of frozen cod planks, 5 oz each.  I can pull a few out of the box and bake/broil/grill them as needed.  We also got frozen ground beef patties when we couldn't get ground beef at the grocery store.  Got bread flour, frozen pastas like ravioli and tortellini, deli meats, dried potatoes: hashbrowns, pearls for mashed, augrautin, packages of hamburg and hotdog buns.  Things come in big sizes, so you get 25# of flour, 18 sandwich buns, or 5# of meat or several pounds of frozen fruits or veggies so you need storage space or room in your freezer.  I break down the big packages into smaller portions and put them in vacuum seal bags.  They also have all kinds of fresh produce and dairy.   They also offer online ordering and in store pickup, so if you are having trouble finding things at the local grocery stores, try the restaurant supply stores you'll be surprised what you can find there, and they are open to the public.   

Exactly. I was even able to buy bread flour and 2# packages of yeast (which I got for friends as I already had enough to get me through the rest of this year) when the market shelves were stripped. I do not understand why the JRods don't shop at a restaurant supply store. I get that Jill will never learn how to cook from scratch, but rather than buying a case of small cans of soup  at Walmart, they could feed the family for far less $$ by buying  a couple of #10 cans of the same thing. Produce is so much cheaper at those stores and the turnover is pretty high so the quality is generally better.

• Upvote 9

@daisyjane1234, my deepest condolences on the loss of your son. I agree: Rabbi Kushner’s teachings and observations are invaluable in times of grief and loss.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 7

@daisyjane1234,  I am so very sorry for the loss of your son.  Feel free to PM me is you ever need to talk.  No matter how old our child was, there are things we bereaved mothers share.  

• Love 10

I just realized - going back to Teri's barely a post about grocery shopping. 

Didn't she, not too long ago, have an entire post dedicated to shopping at Aldi? And her daughters-in-law too? 

Did she change and I missed it? Is a store change on the schedule? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I found the Aldi post!

https://blog.titus2.com/2018/06/20/why-we-like-shopping-at-aldi/

It sounds like it was a relatively new addition to Leavenworth, when it was written. Dillon’s is mentioned in the post, too. I imagine they had their staple shopping locations for several years, and heard so much about the in-laws loving Aldi that they decided to check it out. 

• Upvote 5

On 5/18/2020 at 3:06 PM, clueliss said:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut then they won't try to substitute size (meaning say smaller bottles for a 2 litre).  

You can reject the substitution after they have done it. 

• Upvote 2

I thought it was weird that Teri said she shopped at a Kroger affiliate instead of just saying Fred Meyer or Ralphs or whatever else they own. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

@AliceInFundyland,  you might be able to find an alarm clock to your liking at the Vermont Country Store.  I know they sell good old Westclox Big Bens and Baby Bens as well as other analog alarm clocks.  They've even got one that doesn't tick if the ticking bothers you.   (I can't recall from the previous Rod thread if you are someone who needs complete silence to sleep or not.)  Vermont Country Store is a good source of low tech products as is Lehman's.  Some of Lehman's customer base is Amish/Mennonite and they sell a lot of non-electric stuff.  

1949 Westclox Big Ben Alarm Clock

• Upvote 10

15 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I also read Anna's post.  I am sorry she is so ill and I hope and pray for her recovery. While I don't agree with Maxwellian theology (at all), I also hope for only the best for her.

I REALLY struggle with her theodicies (this is God's plan, God is good, etc.).  I am a person of faith who parented a complex child for 21 years until his death six weeks ago.  He died of non-Covid respiratory issues - but he was in the ICU, on a ventilator, and we were caught up in the COVID related hospital panic.  

I have never been able to believe that God was the author of my son's illnesses, suffering, and death.  God was with us - yes.  But God was not the author.  Because if God was the author of my child's suffering then God is a cruel piece of work.  Rabbi Kushner in his book "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People"  went a long way in repairing my relationship with God.  In it he basically says something along the lines of "For you people who believe God intentionally did all this stuff, sorry you worship a cruel bastard.  My God isn't like that".  That worked for me. ...

I am so sorry for your loss.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Shopped at Gordon Food Service last week, which is a restaurant supply store,

Oh, goodness - we lived in Indianapolis for 10 years back in the day - i miss shopping at GFS!  ❤️ 

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@AliceInFundyland,  you might be able to find an alarm clock to your liking at the Vermont Country Store.  I know they sell good old Westclox Big Bens and Baby Bens as well as other analog alarm clocks.  They've even got one that doesn't tick if the ticking bothers you.   (I can't recall from the previous Rod thread if you are someone who needs complete silence to sleep or not.)  Vermont Country Store is a good source of low tech products as is Lehman's.  Some of Lehman's customer base is Amish/Mennonite and they sell a lot of non-electric stuff.  

Ikea has something similar https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dekad-alarm-clock-white-00270394/ and I was thrilled when I got it as it's the only thing in years that will wake me.  

It does tick, which I find soothing but I know some hate.  I was a little flummoxed without a snooze button, but once I got used to it I actually sleep better setting it for the actual time rather than an hour early so I could keep hitting snooze.  

• Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy, that clock looks like some of the old classic Big Bens with the bells on top.  I can't recall if Baby Bens ever had the bells.  I think I had a Baby Ben when I went to Georgia and later on my oldest brother's Seiko travel alarm clock.  

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I’ve never shopped there, but I love looking at the online catalog.  Manual typewriter!  Personal CD player(which I’m seriously thinking about getting)!  Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo!

@daisyjane1234, I too am so very sorry for your loss. :hug:

• Upvote 4

@daisyjane1234 - adding my condolences for your loss.

What Anna Marie is experiencing is not uncommon, but is both worrying and if not properly treated, potentially dangerous.  I wish her a full and uncomplicated recovery and I hope the rest of her treatment runs smoothly.  Someone mentioned a 'rose tinted glasses' approach and there may well be some truth to that but honestly, if that's how she needs to face her treatment, I'm not going to snark.  I've seen enough people go through various cancer protocols to figure that so long as they're not in other people's faces and making their lives harder, then they get to deal with their tests/treatments/recovery however makes it more tolerable for them.  On the other hand, maybe Anna Marie was one of the lucky one who actually had minimal side effects...until she did!

• Upvote 19

image.thumb.png.960bd3c2f4d27256b30187b639defc2a.png

On 5/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, daisyjane1234 said:

She uses lists AND she does a monthly shopping trip to COSTCO for staples, as well as a weekly shopping trip locally.  

We need an award name for the awkward prose! The Broken Pencil Award? The Auto-Correct Fail Award? The What Some Might Describe As Awkward Prose Award??? This week's nominee:

"I have a master shopping list where I have all the items from that particular store that I might want to purchase. Then during the month when I know I will need an item, I mark it on that month’s copy of the master list."

What she is trying to say is she has a master shopping lists and checks it against what's in the house before going to Sam's. A very good practice rendered insane by the prose.

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

What are the three screenshots for?

From Anna's latest:

(which happens to be the ten-year anniversary of the morning my parents told me he wanted to come out to meet me and pursue a possible courtship)

[Voice: Deadpan] Oh how romantic!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

I had to read that line a few times...about the beginning of their courtship. 

THEY HAD NEVER MET?????

Am I reading that correctly?  I guess he needed to fly out there and see if she was good enough to even be “an option.” It was time to get married, he looked at his parents’ list of contacts and picked Anna’s family? 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

So, Chris isn't flying out until Monday on a long weekend. But, also the weekend Jesse is supposedly getting married. Since Chris isn't going until Monday, I'm guessing there is still a wedding on Saturday that he will need to attend (and probably take really crappy pictures of). 

I know she is in the hospital & he can't see her unless she's out, so that *could* account for not taking advantage of the long weekend. But, there is no guarantee she will be out on Monday either, so...I'm sticking with a wedding going ahead as planned.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic