IGNORED

Man arrested over 1988 murder of Scott Johnson

Ozlsn

A man has been arrested over the 1988 murder of Scott Johnson

Johnson was one of a a series of young gay men who fell to their deaths over cliffs around Sydney near gay beats. Initially his death was ruled a suicide, but after pressure from his family (especially his brother Steve Johnson) that was overturned and it was ruled a probable homicide.

NSW police reopened inquiries into 88 deaths occurring between 1976 and 2000 to see if they were likely to have been hate killings.

What shocked me so much the first time I heard about these deaths, particularly the 1987-90 murders, was that the alleged perpetrators were so young - not that much different in age to me in fact. 

I hope there is a trial, that it gives the family and society some justice - and that it cracks the lid on more prosecutions.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I hope his family get justice and that eventually all those other deaths get solved. I was 1 in 1988 and that feels a long time ago, I can't imagine how it must feel for a family to wait that long for justice. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Man confesses to 1988 hate crime murder of Scott Johnson.

I am torn between relief that the family have answers and anger at how badly and long they were failed by the justice system.

"We're greatly relieved that the accused found it in his soul to confess and plead guilty and put an end to this, so I'm very happy about that," he said from outside court.

"I am thinking about my brother and that a lot of people cared about him to bring this result today."

They shouldn't have had to fight this long and hard for justice, but I am glad they got it.

• Upvote 1

Wonderful that someone has been arrested after all of these years, but isn't it likely that this person was not alone while committing the crime and almost certainly had an accomplice or multiple accomplices?  The man arrested is only 49. If my math is correct, he would have been mid teens in 1988 when the murder took place. 

Agreed - there are certainly more persons of interest who should be being followed up, not least given just the number of known deaths that are being reinvestigated.

• I Agree 1