IGNORED

Please define SOTDRT

WonderingInWA

SOTDRT = School of The Dining Room Table. IOW, fundy homeschool, with all the educational inadequacy that implies: revisionist history, creationist science, etc.

Ohhhhh! Thank you! I know a lot of the acronyms used online, but that one I could not figure out! That's all at once hilarious and sadly true!

I really got my hackles up the first few times I encountered that term because I did not understand the full meaning. There is a nuance to it; it does not apply to normal homeschoolers actually learning shit, but to people who are teaching religion and little else.

I think there's also the implication that the "schooling" consists of the kids sitting at the Dining Room table, doing workbooks. Now, any homeschooling will have SOME worksheets, especially when you're drilling basics. Just like kids who go to private or public schools do worksheets and workbooks. But the SOTDRT teaches kids to regurgitate what they're told.

I really got my hackles up the first few times I encountered that term because I did not understand the full meaning. There is a nuance to it; it does not apply to normal homeschoolers actually learning shit, but to people who are teaching religion and little else.

This...I see it as being not learning stuff, but learning what Mummy and Daddy think God thinks about stuff. The physical Dining Room Table is but a symbol.

Yes - this. When I think SOTDRT, I don't think of most of the homeschoolers I know who actually go out and learn stuff, do activities outside the home, etc... I think of kids with dull workbooks or those ATI packets.

interviewer: "Well how was your first day of school?"

Batron: "I thought that was lunch."

I think of that Kid Farm video clip every time I see the acronym SOTDRT

youtube.com/watch?v=xnSBIMfmv7I

YES! Kid farm home school was not much better than the Duggar's real school. Sadly, my guess is that Michelle really checked out of home school for all of the blessings a while ago. I get the feeling that she stays in her bedroom and let's the older girls pretty much run the house.

YES! Kid farm home school was not much better than the Duggar's real school. Sadly, my guess is that Michelle really checked out of home school for all of the blessings a while ago. I get the feeling that she stays in her bedroom and let's the older girls pretty much run the house.

I miss kid farm! When does it come back?

Archived