IGNORED

Priscilla and David 10: Pecan Number Five (Peter) Has Arrived

GreyhoundFan

The part of the story shared by the new church reminds me so much of David and Cil’s courtship story. David was reluctant... God worked on his heart... all so procedural!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

I think I missed this local newspaper (Longview is about 30 min. from Big Sandy) article about ATI and IBLP basically consolidating at Big Sandy.  I assume leadership consolidation is part of that:

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/institute-in-basic-life-principles-moves-to-east-texas-to-join-international-alert-academy/article_132b4038-971d-5caa-991a-4f8819a8613d.html

A reunion of sorts is occurring outside Big Sandy, where staff at the International ALERT Academy has been welcoming arrivals with a sister ministry making the move to East Texas.

The academy and Chicago-based Institute in Basic Life Principles had longstanding ties before the institute began shifting staff to the campus outside Big Sandy last fall.

"We started out as part of that," academy Executive Officer Col. John Tanner said. "We have the same board of directors and a common president for both."

The dual president, Timothy Levendusky, has arrived in Texas but was in meetings this week and not available for an interview.

Samuel Waller, a spokesman for the Institute in Basic Life Principles, said six or so staff members from Chicago have moved to the ALERT Academy, including himself about two weeks ago.

Staff size fluctuates at the 50-year-old ministry in Wheaton, Illinois, but recently was at 60. All are invited to join the move, which he said should be completed in four or five months.

"It's definitely a transition," Waller said....

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 19

@thoughtful,  some Christians see Isaiah 53 as prophesying the Jesus as the messiah, but no Jews do. 

There are a lot of good anti-missionary websites and youtube videos on how Jesus did not come close to fulfilling Jewish Messianic prophecy.  Christians can believe whatever they want about messianic prophecy,  but they might want to understand why Jews don't hold those same beliefs.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

24 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@thoughtful,  some Christians see Isaiah 53 as prophesying the Jesus as the messiah, but no Jews do. 

There are a lot of good anti-missionary websites and youtube videos on how Jesus did not come close to fulfilling Jewish Messianic prophecy.  Christians can believe whatever they want about messianic prophecy,  but they might want to understand why Jews don't hold those same beliefs.  

In my (Jewish) experience, Christian missionaries want to understand my perspective - and any facts that go along with it - only up to the point where they can try to refute it.  If they can't refute it, they promptly switch to another angle.  Only once in a rare while, when I've really managed to drive my point home, they've gotten a "deer in the headlights" look and actually shut up.  They've memorized their bible, and will quote chapter and verse of it, but can't seem to handle anything but their own literal interpretation.  Their goal is to convert, period.  No other belief (or lack thereof) can be correct.

I've met a few less hard-core evangelicals who were willing to listen a little better, and we had pleasant and interesting conversations.  End result, of course, was agreeing to disagree but at least I didn't end up feeling imposed upon.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 6

48 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@thoughtful,  some Christians see Isaiah 53 as prophesying the Jesus as the messiah,

Yep - as I said, that I was aware of.

It never occurred to me how much Christians (even mainstream) see the Tanakh as just a preview for their beliefs, and read Jesus-related ideas into it, until I was a young adult, but I've been well-aware of it since.

What I hadn't heard was the claim that Jews actually cut anything out of the text, are forbidden to read it, or that it was kept out of readings done during services due to some deep dark motivation, until I heard David say it and did some further research.

At this point, having accepted that my mind is just an atheist mind, and being happy with that, I don't believe in anything supernatural, and am not a practicing or believing Jew.

But it still offends and stings, due to my distaste for any kind of appropriation ("we adore your stuff, non-majority people, and we're going to take it over and make it even better! Won't you just love that?" Blech).

Also, it bothers me due to my love for my mother and other still-believing Jews in my family, my sentimental attachment to the positive and benign form of Judaism in which I was raised, and that "Y'know, somebody could decide to kill us all again, any time" knowledge in the back of the mind.

When, in National Brotherhood Week, Tom Lehrer sang "and everybody hates the Jews," we laughed, but we laughed ruefully.

So anything that smacks of that "'THEY' do/believe this, you know" nonsense raises a red flag for me. It does when the lying fundies and white supremacists talk that way about any group, but the stuff about "The Jews" hits a place deep within, that goes back to my childhood.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

28 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

In my (Jewish) experience, Christian missionaries want to understand my perspective - and any facts that go along with it - only up to the point where they can try to refute it.  If they can't refute it, they promptly switch to another angle.  Only once in a rare while, when I've really managed to drive my point home, they've gotten a "deer in the headlights" look and actually shut up.  They've memorized their bible, and will quote chapter and verse of it, but can't seem to handle anything but their own literal interpretation.  Their goal is to convert, period.  No other belief (or lack thereof) can be correct.

I've met a few less hard-core evangelicals who were willing to listen a little better, and we had pleasant and interesting conversations.  End result, of course, was agreeing to disagree but at least I didn't end up feeling imposed upon.

It's one thing if you dedicate your life to missionary work, that's fine, but my problem is when you have 12 kids like John Shrader and drag them to Africa when you could raise them in the safer America. When you have kids your obligation is to them over anything or any one else. You can still preach and convert from home without hav ing to go to Africa or Asia and convert people 

• Upvote 7
  • Move Along 2
  • WTF 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think I missed this local newspaper (Longview is about 30 min. from Big Sandy) article about ATI and IBLP basically consolidating at Big Sandy.  I assume leadership consolidation is part of that:

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/institute-in-basic-life-principles-moves-to-east-texas-to-join-international-alert-academy/article_132b4038-971d-5caa-991a-4f8819a8613d.html

A reunion of sorts is occurring outside Big Sandy, where staff at the International ALERT Academy has been welcoming arrivals with a sister ministry making the move to East Texas.

The academy and Chicago-based Institute in Basic Life Principles had longstanding ties before the institute began shifting staff to the campus outside Big Sandy last fall.

"We started out as part of that," academy Executive Officer Col. John Tanner said. "We have the same board of directors and a common president for both."

The dual president, Timothy Levendusky, has arrived in Texas but was in meetings this week and not available for an interview.

Samuel Waller, a spokesman for the Institute in Basic Life Principles, said six or so staff members from Chicago have moved to the ALERT Academy, including himself about two weeks ago.

Staff size fluctuates at the 50-year-old ministry in Wheaton, Illinois, but recently was at 60. All are invited to join the move, which he said should be completed in four or five months.

"It's definitely a transition," Waller said....

Is it possible that they offered to help find volunteers or displaced folks positions elsewhere?  Maybe those were the unique circumstances.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, raayx01 said:

It's one thing if you dedicate your life to missionary work, that's fine, but my problem is when you have 12 kids like John Shrader and drag them to Africa when you could raise them in the safer America. When you have kids your obligation is to them over anything or any one else. You can still preach and convert from home without hav ing to go to Africa or Asia and convert people 

Wtf??

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Yes! This is exactly why David and Priscilla actually scare me more than other fundies. 

I often suspected David is pretty controlling.    Sure, he comes off as nice and somewhat harmlessly idiotic on the surface but underneath there seems to be an arrogance, with an "I am always right" undercurrent.   While he and Priscilla seem happy now there's been many a time that he shows no consideration for his wife.  The Pecan Heist was a perfect example of his being completely oblivious to her distress.  And she has had to travel in very late stages of pregnancy.  I don't think she has much say in things.  He calls the shots and she has been more or less "trained" to go along.  

It's not surprising given his fundie upbringing and being in a higher position within an organization like IBLP.   He seems like he takes his responsibilities as headship very seriously but with that comes absolute authority.

Back before he courted Priscilla, David clearly came across as someone who did not want to get married but was being pushed into it, and she fit the bill.   It seems things have worked out but I suspect Priscilla is very compliant which is why it works.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 14

I had an interesting conversation with my Pastor a couple of years ago. It was bible study and I asked him why on earth would I as a female want anything to do with a religion that was created by men for the benefit of men? He didnt really answer that one. 

I also asked why I should live by what the bible says when half of it is missing? Why would I want to live by what a bunch of blokes decided I can and cannot read or know back in the 5th? century. Not exactly relevant to today is it? 

The best one tho! How can you be sure that Jesus was the true messiah? I guarantee you theres a couple or three around the world who believe THEY are the messiah!

Poor chap! He never did get back to me....  ? and so I remain a pagan witch

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8
  • Love 6

I'm on a roll....

David Waller in his most recent Sunday service has just welcomed JUSTIN DUGGAR who wishes to join the Fairpark Baptist Church congregation

He wishes him a Happy 18th Birthday 

So, do the Spiveys attend Fairpark Baptist?

Could David  conduct the upcoming wedding of Justin and Claire?

Have a listen around 1hr 18 minutes-

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1800271240124514&id=105212057695065&ref=page_internal&__tn__=*s*s-R

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 30

9 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

I'm on a roll....

David Waller in his most recent Sunday service has just welcomed JUSTIN DUGGAR who wishes to join the Fairpark Baptist Church congregation

Have a listen around 1hr 18 minutes-

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1800271240124514&id=105212057695065&ref=page_internal&__tn__=*s*s-R

Thank you for listening and reporting back. I just can’t listen to sermons. I listened to enough growing up.

• Upvote 11

It was just pure chance I saw it- I listened to the first 5 minutes and then the last 5 !

There may be more nuggets hidden, but I didn't fancy listening to much more of David

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thank you for listening and reporting back. I just can’t listen to sermons. I listened to enough growing up.

Hey, there's nothing like listening to David Waller rant about "unnatural desires" and sodomy!

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

I'm on a roll....

OMG if Pecan presides over the wedding of a DUGGAR you know that Jill R will WALK her bedazzled self to Texas if necessary to be in attendance.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 6
  • Haha 23

20 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

OMG if Pecan presides over the wedding of a DUGGAR you know that Jill R will WALK her bedazzled self to Texas if necessary to be in attendance.

Oh definitely, because her daughter is married to ANNA DUGGAR'S BROTHER, Y'ALL, it's fairly certain that she will assume that she's automatically invited to every Duggar wedding.  

She won't wait for the invite, she will get to the church months in advance.  

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 7

On 11/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, raayx01 said:

Are you sure US is safer than Zambia for them? Shraders lived homeless in the US, sleeping in a tent with no healthcare assurance. Their American way of life was not better than many Zambian families, who probably have a roof at least.

Zambia has dangerous zones and other quiet ones. I'm reading it now in a webpage from my government foreigner office. It says most areas are fine, only cities are dangerous at nights and an area next to Congo. Schraders probably live in a rural quiet area.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

According to Reddit, David stopped working for IBLP, moved to Fort Worth, and is now a pastor at a baptist church. I googled "David Waller pastor tx" and google results showed as pastor david waller as well. The attached image is what the name of the baptist church retweeted of DavidNCil.  Apparently, DavidNCil haven't announced David's transition so I crossed out the church's name.
davidncil.thumb.PNG.08a6dbacb25637b0f2c3a5791460625d.PNG

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 4

On 11/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Interesting to them could be as simple as cutbacks at ATI as we know the need for their printed material has dropped and then their sales pitch gatherings cut by COVID so less and less need for employees.  David sees it coming and talks to their pastor or asks for prayer.  Their pastor sees a vacancy or an upcoming vacancy at another IFB church and throws David's name into the mix.  

This is exactly what I believe happened. I think David had been wanting to leave IBLP after the Gothard scandal. I think they all knew IBLP would be a sinking ship.

I bet that the church owns the house and allows DavidnCil to live in it because he's a pastor for the church.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

According to Reddit, David stopped working for IBLP, moved to Fort Worth, and is now a pastor at a baptist church. I googled "David Waller pastor tx" and google results showed as pastor david waller as well. The attached image is what the name of the baptist church retweeted of DavidNCil.  Apparently, DavidNCil haven't announced David's transition so I crossed out the church's name.
davidncil.thumb.PNG.08a6dbacb25637b0f2c3a5791460625d.PNG

On a side note, what racist crock of poop about the Pilgrims spreading Christianity.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 14

It looks like all the cousins got together for Thanksgiving.  They and the Smuggers have photos up on IG. It looks like all the fundies did huge extended family celebrations.  I'm not surprised but WTF.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JMO said:

It looks like all the cousins got together for Thanksgiving.  They and the Smuggers have photos up on IG. It looks like all the fundies did huge extended family celebrations.  I'm not surprised but WTF.  

I’m not surprised either. My thanksgiving consisted of just my parents & myself. My sister lives in New York City we are in New Jersey but she didn’t want to take a chance coming out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic