IGNORED

American Horror Story

darareaksmey

Is anyone watching this? I can't decide whether I like it or not. I mean, I can't imagine watching a whole season of it, but just when I think I will turn the channel, something else--bizarre, I guess--happens and I'm sucked back in. At first I wondered how a story about a haunted house could last more than one episode. But then I think back on the many thrilling years I had as a kid watching Dark Shadows, so the scary people in a foreboding house theme has been at least modestly long-term successful before. Anyhow, I just wondered if anyone else was watching, and whether you plan to stick with it, and what the hell you think is going on (I keep finding myself rewinding for fear I've missed something.)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran hot and cold throughout the premiere, but I'll be tuning in again this week. If for nothing else, the supporitng cast has amazing actors. I mean, seriously: Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, and Denis O'Hare? Fantastic.

Yeah, the premiere was not enough to make me sure to come running back this week, but things setteld down a bit--just a bit--in episode 2. Jessica Lange is so fabulous as a crazy woman.

I watched the pilot last week and I thought it was a bit of a mess. I missed last night's episode though and I read on a couple of sites that it was good. I think I will keep watching because of Denis O'Hare, Jessica Lange and Connie Brittton.

We dvr it. Hubbers loves it, RusMonster only watches it when the gf wants to watch it, I like it a lot and am hoping it doesn't get a massive injection of stupid to completely ruin it. We all agree that Bedlam (BBCAmerica) is a touch better for various reasons.

I watched the pilot yesterday and omg, it was luda. I am having trouble thinking of ways the story could be carried out over multiple seasons since so much fucking happened in the pilot. I felt like Ryan Murphy was thinking, 'Hey, remember how, like, by the end of Nip/Tuck we were just throwing every possible insane bit of plotting at the viewers? Why don't we do another show, but this time we'll just skip straight to the absolutely batshit stuff in the pilot?''

Anyway, about to watch the second episode so it hasn't lost me yet, but I feel like I'm tuning in for the trainwreck.

. I felt like Ryan Murphy was thinking, 'Hey, remember how, like, by the end of Nip/Tuck we were just throwing every possible insane bit of plotting at the viewers? Why don't we do another show, but this time we'll just skip straight to the absolutely batshit stuff in the pilot?''

Exactly. And I enjoy all the batshit stuff, while fearing that we'll find out that the house is cursed because it was built on a burial ground, the neighbors,maid, and boyfriend are cursed ghosts, and there's a hellmouth in the basement. It's probably going to end up as the bastard child of Joss Whedon and V.C.Andrews, IMHO.

Well, my first thought in the first episode was, who in their right mind would live in this house for more than a night or two? So I am not surprised to see that now Viv says they are moving, and the next episode seems to have some trying-sell-the house content.

Clearly, the Jessica lange character, the shape-shifting maid and Tate have some history with the house and some reason for wanting to keep the family there. I am interested enough to keep watching till it gets way, way beyond stupid.

What was it that was in the hole where the guy buried Hayden? Was it the 1920's baby's dress?

ETA: There were some almost humorous moments this time.

I was not sorry to see the shrill hayden get whacked.

What was it that was in the hole where the guy buried Hayden? Was it the 1920's baby's dress?

ETA: There were some almost humorous moments this time.

I was not sorry to see the shrill hayden get whacked.

I think it was part of Moira's maid's uniform and Constance mentioned that Moira is buried the gazebo is.

I think it was part of Moira's maid's uniform and Constance mentioned that Moira is buried the gazebo is.

Ah, OK. I missed that. Damn, it's hard to keep up with the dead bodies.

so, what exactly is this series about? i haven't been able to catch it yet and i just can't really get it just from reading your guys' posts.

^^ That. I was under the impression that it would be a series of unrelated stories with a central paranormal/ghost theme. But I tuned in to an episode last week and was completely lost. It was the one where at the beginning the girl let in the crazy guy and he dressed her in that nurses outfit and then stabbed her.

Here's my very rudimentary summary based on the first three episodes: There is a house in Los Angeles with a horrible history of murders, insanity, and the like. An unsuspecting couple from Boston and their teen daughter buy the house (which is offered at a great price) and move in. They are not without their own baggage; they left Boston because the husband, a psychiatrist, was caught by the wife in an affair. Apparently their sex life went 100% south after the wife had a tragic stilbirth. Anyhow, they are here to sort of reboot their lives, but they are dogged not only by the predictable issues from their past in Boston, but also by any number of live crazies and dead spectres related to the house.

The episodes aren't unrelated stories. So far each one has started out with a little blast from the house's horrible past ( it was built in the 1920's), to show you something bizarre that happened there. It's a clue to or foreshadowing of something that will come up in that episode. But the present-day Boston transplants are central to each episode, as is the scary next-door neighbor played with chilling finesse by Jessica Lange.

I hope this helps. It is quite spooky, a little bit gross from time to time, and even kinda amusing in places. The second episode, where the girl got stabbed in the nurse unie, was almost too much for me; but I'm sticking with it.

oo now that sounds interesting! the commercials with the guy in the latex-like black body stocking thing confused me...what's his deal, or have they said yet? [i'm assuming guy, as i saw no breasts, but i suppose it could be a woman with a AA cup or something like that]

oo now that sounds interesting! the commercials with the guy in the latex-like black body stocking thing confused me...what's his deal, or have they said yet? [i'm assuming guy, as i saw no breasts, but i suppose it could be a woman with a AA cup or something like that]

He confuses me too. I don't think we have seen him since the first episode. When they moved in they went up in the attic and saw that rubber suit there, and they just assumed it was left by the previous owners--a gay couple, murder/suicide. But the suit "came to life" later. I guess we'll find out.

So....has anyone a theory on why the sonogram tech fainted? :?: :?: :?: :scared-eek::scared-eek:

I think maybe the baby had horns or something visibly scary to the tech.

Okay, another question, this one from episode 5 (Halloween 2). Did Hayden put the puppy in the microwave? I had a glare on my screen and was too lazy to get up and turn off the light (not to mention being too terrified to watch this with the light off) so I kinda didn't see what was going on at this point.

Also, something hapened with Tate 17 years ago. That would be 1994. He has mentioned Kurt Cobain twice now, so I'm thinking Cobain's suicide will figure someplace and we will get some Nirvana on the soundtrack. "Lithium," perhaps?

I'm still not sure about the puppy. After the wife saw something in the microwave explode, the puppy ran out seemingly okay. And Hayden said she just put a tomato in. But I kind of wonder if the puppy could be a ghost now. Although I don't know what the point of that would be.

And I'm pretty sure Tate killed those kids. I didn't realize about Kurt Cobain, so maybe he went on a shooting spree after he committed suicide. And I wonder why Tate hasn't aged. One of those girls said she should be 34, so shouldn't he too? Did his mother do some weird voodoo stuff to keep him the same age, or is he dead too?

I've decided Tate is adorable and we are going to end up rooting for him against his mom. Constance kind of creeped me out, putting makeup on Addie's corpse. I am dubious about her wailing and mourning Addie. This, remember, is the same child she locked in that horrible closet with all the mirrors so she could have fun with her young stud. Anyhow, Tate may be a ghost, but he is different from the others somehow.

Yeah, the puppy could be a ghost now; but that'd be mighty quick. And you're right. What possible point could there be to the puppy being a ghost?

If I were Violet I would be very careful before I drank any tea poured for me by Constance.

I dunno, Tate and Violet in general just kind of annoy me. Violet moreso though. It would be cute if they stayed together for good, I suppose. But yes, Constance is way creepy and mentally disturbed. I guess she could be genuinely upset about Addie dying but she did treat the girl pretty horribly. But that happens in real life too, so who knows.

I really want to know what the ultrasound tech saw that made her faint. That got kind of pushed to the back burner in the most recent episode.

Archived