IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 39: Practicing Social Distancing by.... Having Family Night

HerNameIsBuffy

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Interesting, I think Michigan has one of the most neutral in terms of speech patterns.

It just may be so. Somehow in my wee brain I've always lumped those 3 states together since childhood.

Born and raised in Central Iowa. Went to college in Iowa and the kids from the east swore I had a southern accent.  I was just trying to sort out all the different eastern accents, and ones from the deep south. College was a very big cultural shock for me.

• Upvote 3

Australian has two maybe three versions of accent. Normal, bogan and Ocker. So normal, lower class (for lack of better discription) maybe chav for the poms and white trash for the Americans.. and ocker is kind of country folk.  :) I mix all three. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
For the English speaking people of course.
  • Upvote 3

I grew up near Boston, but have lived in Texas and am now in the greater Philadelphia area. I can always tell when I hear the accent of "my people" though, from North Quincy, MA. They all sound like my mom, aunts, uncles, etc. I've asked strangers when I've heard them talk, and also looked up people on Google if they are on TV. Wouldn't have thought you could distinguish it so much, but there you go.

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Australian has two maybe three versions of accent. Normal, bogan and Ocker. So normal, lower class (for lack of better discription) maybe chav for the poms and white trash for the Americans.. and ocker is kind of country folk.  :) I mix all three. 

What's the difference between ocker and bogan? I imagine Queenslanders for both :P

I'm from Melbourne and I remember getting very offended reading an article on Australian accents saying that people fro Sydney pronounce 'salary' correctly whereas Melbournians would say something akin to 'celery'. We do not!

16 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

What's the difference between ocker and bogan? I imagine Queenslanders for both :P

I'm from Melbourne and I remember getting very offended reading an article on Australian accents saying that people fro Sydney pronounce 'salary' correctly whereas Melbournians would say something akin to 'celery'. We do not!

I don’t “judge” ocker as badly as I do bogan. Ocker has character more Steve Irwin, Alf Stewart, more authentic Aussie. Bogan can be nasty with lots of swearing and demeaning stuff. I know Ockers do swear but some how it seems less harsh if ya get where I’m coming from??? 
Oh and I would have no way of telling a Sydney accent from an Melbourne one. I know Aussie have some regional differences. I think sa calls them juice boxes nsw poppers and qld call them Cheerios and we call them little boys, cocktail Frankfurt’s. That’s the only one I have tripped up on. What you are taking a plate of cereal to you kids preschool? Why would they want Cheerios?  Lol 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don’t “judge” ocker as badly as I do bogan. Ocker has character more Steve Irwin, Alf Stewart, more authentic Aussie. Bogan can be nasty with lots of swearing and demeaning stuff. I know Ockers do swear but some how it seems less harsh if ya get where I’m coming from??? 
Oh and I would have no way of telling a Sydney accent from an Melbourne one. I know Aussie have some regional differences. I think sa calls them juice boxes nsw poppers and qld call them Cheerios and we call them little boys, cocktail Frankfurt’s. That’s the only one I have tripped up on. What you are taking a plate of cereal to you kids preschool? Why would they want Cheerios?  Lol 

I think my three categories are bogan, typical Aussie (I count myself in that group), and a more refined accent (think Cate Blanchett)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I think my three categories are bogan, typical Aussie (I count myself in that group), and a more refined accent (think Cate Blanchett)

Cate, Hugh and Deb Lee. All super well spoken. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Interesting, I think Michigan has one of the most neutral in terms of speech patterns.  And of course there is the Chicago accent, but that's not shared with Illinois, not even most of the the Chicago suburbs.  What people think of as the Chicago accent is a very specific to parts of the city, particularly the far north and south sides.

I can spot a Michigan/Ohio accent from a mile away. Maybe it's more pronounced in SE Michigan where I'm from (I have a cousin from the norther Lower Peninsula and hers isn't AS strong) but yeah - I can definitely hear a weird twang. 

Edited to add: Not weird as in bad - just weird as in "how did this accent GET here?" 
I'm fascinated by accents and how they appear places. And how it's different in say - Windsor, across a river from Detroit - but the accent is different. Even though they watch the same tv etc.

Edited by Meggo
  • Upvote 4

I’m from Southern Ontario. I don’t even know what my accent is. I live in Western Germany and some people can tell I’m Canadian because of how I say certain words like out and about. A lot of the times I am mistaken for an American. Last time I went back home to visit, some people said my accent has changed. Maybe because I have had to change the way I speak English, since I don’t speak with many native English speakers. However I noticed some people had strong accents that I never noticed beforehand. Like my step-grandfather sounds like such a stereotypical Canadian with saying eh and all yet I never noticed it before. I guess moving abroad did that. 

Some of my favourite accents are Australian and Irish. Could listen to them talk all day haha. 

• Upvote 7

I have a hybrid accent that confuses many people. Its a mix of Belfast (Mother and family)  also Armagh (me growing up) and English (where I moved at 11). I have been accused of being... canadian, New Zealand, Austrailian and Scottish lol

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Meggo said:

I'm fascinated by accents and how they appear places.

Me too, linguistics is one of my favorite things to learn about.

I think I have the worlds most neutral accent, but when I lived in Mass I had a friend who used to love to make me say certain words because they sounded so cute in my accent.  I, on the other hand, can fall in love with any man any time if he has a strong Mass accent.  

When I was living on the east coast I was talking with someone in a shop and she said I sounded exactly like Jami Gertz.  I did a double take as she has quite a nasal voice and I don't think I do, but she said no, not your voice it's your accent.  You have the same accent.

She had no idea where I was from, much less that Jami Gertz and I grew up within a few miles of each other.  It was then I realized apparently that our suburb has a very specific accent.  That woman had a hell of an ear.  

• Upvote 7

As a New Yorker, you don't hear the very stereotypical accent all that often. I just think we talk so fast that letters get mumbled. That I'm guilty of. However, I can spot a transplant from a mile away. It's not the accent but form of speak. Midwesterners, southerners, especially west coast people have completely different speech patterns. It's so easy to spot someone from say LA. They use words and sentence structures we don't here. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I’m from Southern Ontario. I don’t even know what my accent is. I live in Western Germany and some people can tell I’m Canadian because of how I say certain words like out and about. A lot of the times I am mistaken for an American. Last time I went back home to visit, some people said my accent has changed. Maybe because I have had to change the way I speak English, since I don’t speak with many native English speakers. However I noticed some people had strong accents that I never noticed beforehand. Like my step-grandfather sounds like such a stereotypical Canadian with saying eh and all yet I never noticed it before. I guess moving abroad did that. 

Some of my favourite accents are Australian and Irish. Could listen to them talk all day haha. 

Yeah pretty certain Ontarians do say ''aboot'', ''eh'' and ''soo-rry''. At least for me that is where I heard it first.

As a Montrealer, growing up I never understood where the stereotype came from. Anglo Montrealers sound very much like a neutral northern American accent (I know some might say there is no such thing, but it's the best way that came to mind to describe it). I always thought the ''aboot'', ''eh'' or ''soo-rry'' were a weird cliché and kind of made up by Americans. Until I visited Ontario. ?

Edited by Vivi_music
Grammar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Michelle isn’t originally from Arkansas and doesn’t have much of an accent. Jim Bob has a touch of an Arkansas accent, but it’s not very strong. I’ve always wondered why Joy has a much stronger Arkansas accent than the rest of the family.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 8/31/2020 at 3:45 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Interesting, I think Michigan has one of the most neutral in terms of speech patterns.  And of course there is the Chicago accent, but that's not shared with Illinois, not even most of the the Chicago suburbs.  What people think of as the Chicago accent is a very specific to parts of the city, particularly the far north and south sides.

My best friend's parents are from northern Michigan and her mother totally has that Fargo "Oooh yeah, dontcha know" accent with the really rounded vowels. I remember always getting a guaranteed laugh imitating it with our friends growing up.

Though now that I think about it, her husband doesn't have this accent at all. 

I have noticed that blue collar people in Ohio and other parts of the Rust Belt have a similar flatness to their accent and use a similar slang that I can pick out because of my relatives in western Pennsylvania. I was watching Love after Lockup last season (ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME) and one of the couples was in Michigan and several relatives had a distinctive accent that seemed similar to my Pennsylvania cousins. I don't know what part of Michigan they were in though. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 5

I have heard Pennsylvania accents that sounded vaguely Irish down to the yous (plural you) said by my husband's Belfast family. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Yeah pretty certain Ontarians do say ''aboot'', ''eh'' and ''soo-rry''. At least for me that is where I heard it first.

As a Montrealer, growing up I never understood where the stereotype came from. Anglo Montrealers sound very much like a neutral northern American accent (I know some might say there is no such thing, but it's the best way that came to mind to describe it). I always thought the ''aboot'', ''eh'' or ''soo-rry'' were a weird cliché and kind of made up by Americans. Until I visited Ontario. ?

That’s makes more sense! People have commented aboot the way I say sorry ?. I’ve never met an Anglo Montrealer/Anglo Québécois so I’m not sure how they sound. I have noticed people from Saskatchewan have a particular accent but it’s hard to describe. And then there’s Newfies. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/1/2020 at 10:28 AM, AussieKrissy said:

Hmm, yes and no, and are we just considering the English accent? Or are we also considering .  There is standard accent (with slight regional variations that most people can't tell, but they are still variations), Ochre (This is what I would call a really strong Australian accent, as discussed Steve Irwin had a good example of it), "Upper class" (not sure how to describe it, and it's only a few people who actually use it).  Are you considering Bogan as the one that I would probably associate with Football players, and Tradies with certain ethnic backgrounds?  Otherwise there is a 5th.  Also I would say that potentially the accent often produced by Indigenous people often from remoter areas is potentially another one (I'm not sure if this would be considered as an ESL accent or not though?).  There are probably others that I can't think of as well.

I would also be guessing that there are some more accents currently being made that are a mixture of the standard Australian accent, and various other accents from around the world.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

To add to the mix, South Africans have a down under accent all their own. It often has a more "German" sound to it and less of the "twangy British" of Aussies thanks to the Afrikaner influence.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

To add to the mix, South Africans have a down under accent all their own. It often has a more "German" sound to it and less of the "twangy British" of Aussies thanks to the Afrikaner influence.  

Yes I must admit I never used to believe that people could get Aussies and South African accents mixed up. To me they sound completely different. That was until I was in a foreign country and my hearing zoned in on a familiar accent it took me half a sentence from them to work out that they were not Aussie. A similar thing happened in France when I said to a guy, "So where abouts in Oz are you from?" "I'm from New Zealand". was his pissed off reply. As soon as he said that, I could hear his kiwi accent.  

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Yes I must admit I never used to believe that people could get Aussies and South African accents mixed up. To me they sound completely different. That was until I was in a foreign country and my hearing zoned in on a familiar accent it took me half a sentence from them to work out that they were not Aussie. A similar thing happened in France when I said to a guy, "So where abouts in Oz are you from?" "I'm from New Zealand". was his pissed off reply. As soon as he said that, I could hear his kiwi accent.  

I have to admit, I often can't tell the difference between the Aussie Accent and the Kiwi Accent, but there are definite differences in the vowels, you need to talk to them for long enough to pick it sometimes though.  I wouldn't expect overseas people to be able to differentiate the accents.

• Upvote 8

Speaking of accents, I wish I had a distinctive one in English. I’ve lived in NZ for three years and really like (scratch that, loooooove) the Kiwi accent, but it hasn’t really rubbed off on me so far. So I even confuse native speakers, like my teachers at uni. I sometimes get asked if English is my mother tongue by people who think I grew up in Germany but spoke English at home growing up, e.g. with English parents. But that’s not the case.p and I learned it at school and then living abroad really helped me become fluent. At times, I sound really English, at times it’s an odd toss up between an English and a Kiwi accent... it’s a little weird, but whatever. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I'm British, but the first time I went to the US, everyone seemed to think I was an Aussie. As it was mid GW's Iraq War, I would've liked to maintain that image, but it was for a work conference, and would've led to confusion later on. I was astonished - Aussie and neutral-Brit sound totally different, but I guess I don't sound like the Queen, or Dick van Dyke, and it seems the US doesn't follow Aussie soaps the way the UK does, so they just went with a "best guess", lol!

• Upvote 1

I can't always tell an Irish accent from a Scottish accent the way I can tell an English accent from Scottish and Irish accents. I always thought Irish accents were more lilting and Scottish accents more glottal. My husband's Belfast family have accents that sound closer to Scottish for obvioys reasons. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic