IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 39: Practicing Social Distancing by.... Having Family Night

HerNameIsBuffy

49 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I have the impression that the Duggar show highlighted more the girls than the boys, except Josh (he was the golden boy and main character before the scandals). I don't know if it was because TLC found the girls nicer and more expressive, while the boys were dull, or it were Michelle and JB who preferred their girls and ignored the boys and it caused the girls to "shine" more than their brothets.

Their cult is sexist and they have banned jobs and careers and dreams for the girls because their religion, but it doesn't mean they don't like those girls more than the boys. Michelle had her first son and then a collection of girls that became her helpers. Then, a lot of noisy boys that were not useful except to attract attention when dressed matchy-matchy as a enormous family.

Maybe that's why the Duggar girls are more lively, show different personalities and tastes, etc while people has problems to remember how the boys are named. They received the little attention dad and mom (and TLC) could give them. The boys hadn't that...

Just a theory.

The girls have to be chosen to be a bride, the ONLY thing they are allowed to become, and the boys get to choose and get a job (within reason, no working for heathens!!11!!) so the girls need exposure 

Off I go to barf for writing that ?

• Upvote 6

I think the viewers liked watching the girls more-  and I think Jill’s wedding was the highest rated show ?? If it meant more coverage and money then JB and M were all over it! 

• Upvote 7

In a weird way I think our society actually likes girls more, even if it likes women less. I gave 2  boys and hear often how people assume we wanted girls, or that girls are better for parents, or nicer or cuter. Most expecting parents I know who had a preference wanted girls. Maybe its just people I'm around, but I think it adds to why people like watching the girls more.

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I think the viewers liked watching the girls more-  and I think Jill’s wedding was the highest rated show ?? If it meant more coverage and money then JB and M were all over it! 

I agree. I think anything 'human interest' related attracts far more female viewers than male, and I think we tend to be more interested in characters of the same sex.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

In a weird way I think our society actually likes girls more, even if it likes women less. I gave 2  boys and hear often how people assume we wanted girls, or that girls are better for parents, or nicer or cuter. Most expecting parents I know who had a preference wanted girls. Maybe its just people I'm around, but I think it adds to why people like watching the girls more.

So much this. My husbands family has been harassing us since the day our son was born to have a girl. Literally the day. I was one hour postpartum, aching, drugged, and my mother in law looks at me and says “so when are you having a girl?” I could have happily punted her out the window. 

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 6

18 hours ago, marmalade said:

Joe got the one year bible certificate, same as what Trace got. It's useless.

rumours abound that he went there for the year to "get to know" Carlin...

• Upvote 1

I think the interest in the girls had more to do with the fact that they had 4 girls close in age and older, Joe is as exciting as dry paint, JD never seemed to like to be in front of the camera when he was younger, Josh was all over the camera, Josiah was as well, but he was younger.  I think their ages when they really started filming had more to do with it than anything. Plus the girls were at home doing "women's work" while the boys were out being "manly".  They really only showed the kids from Josh to Jinger. in the 1st specials & ___ Kids & Counting, they added Josiah & Joy as they got older, Joe & JD always kind of stayed out of the way of the cameras. JD has gotten a little more vocal in front of the camera but Joe is still pretty quiet. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Joe was also the one that freaked when they went roller blading while courting and he had to touch her to help steady her.  He was sweating it.  Despite the fact that it helped her not fall and hurt herself, there was a chaperone and a full camera crew around he was worried that it would stir up unrightous desires. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 10
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

rumours abound that he went there for the year to "get to know" Carlin...

I still cannot believe she would have considered him even for a second.  

As vain as superficial as she is to look twice at a Duggar boy?  Honestly, if this is true I'd be completely shocked.

(Just to be clear I know there are far more to people than just looks, but does Carlin?)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

Well it's not just looks, Joe is boring as sin compared to Carlin, whatever you think of each of them. Carlin and Evan make sense together.

• Upvote 10

On 8/18/2020 at 5:12 AM, Idlewild said:

People are often drawn to big celebratory events. The girls were raised to get married and have children. If the girls get paid more attention to it might be because there will always be something going on (wedding, babies, birth specials, parties and the showers that come with all that). It’s not that the boys don’t experience these things (they get married and become parents too). But in their faith and culture this isn’t the end all be all for the boys. With the exception of Anna have any of the wives had an hour long birth special or wedding special? I quit watching ages ago and am honestly not sure. I’m sure it’s ratings gold to showcase a big happy wedding or a new baby, a happy bride...etc.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think the interest in the girls had more to do with the fact that they had 4 girls close in age and older, Joe is as exciting as dry paint, JD never seemed to like to be in front of the camera when he was younger, Josh was all over the camera, Josiah was as well, but he was younger.  I think their ages when they really started filming had more to do with it than anything. Plus the girls were at home doing "women's work" while the boys were out being "manly".  They really only showed the kids from Josh to Jinger. in the 1st specials & ___ Kids & Counting, they added Josiah & Joy as they got older, Joe & JD always kind of stayed out of the way of the cameras. JD has gotten a little more vocal in front of the camera but Joe is still pretty quiet. 

Agreed. I also think the 4 older girls were quite ''lively'' on camera during those years and were much more at ease to do the little interviews than for example Joe or JD. So in a way, the audience got to ''know'' their TV personna better, which probably explains why the audience in general would be more interested in their storyline.

Edited by Vivi_music
Added something and corrected grammar
  • Upvote 12

23 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I still cannot believe she would have considered him even for a second.  

As vain as superficial as she is to look twice at a Duggar boy?  Honestly, if this is true I'd be completely shocked.

(Just to be clear I know there are far more to people than just looks, but does Carlin?)

I ONLY reason I could see Carlin & Joe "getting to know each other" would be from parental pressure to do so,  the press that would have garnered if the 2 families joined. I also think Carlin & Joy would have LOVED to be sisters in law, but not enough to marry boring ass Joe.  I could have seen Josiah and Carlin doing a getting to know you, & even marrying, they would have made more sense. Siah used to be so outgoing and fun loving and that fits Carlin's personality style. 

And No, I don't think Carlin see's much beyond looks.

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 10

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I ONLY reason I could see Carlin & Joe "getting to know each other" would be from parental pressure to do so,  the press that would have garnered if the 2 families joined. I also think Carlin & Joy would have LOVED to be sisters in law, but not enough to marry boring ass Joe.  I could have seen Josiah and Carlin doing a getting to know you, & even marrying, they would have made more sense. Siah used to be so outgoing and fun loving and that fits Carlin's personality style. 

Carlin does seem like the type that Joe is into. Minus the flair for social media, Carlin and Kendra have a lot of similarities: pretty, cheerful, giggly, smile-y. Carlin is more extroverted and Kendra  seems more introverted, but I can see how Joe was interested. If they were getting to know each other I can see Carlin being the one to back off.

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Agreed. I also think the 4 older girls were quite ''lively'' on camera during those years and were much more at ease to do the little interviews than for example Joe or JD. So in a way, the audience got to ''know'' their TV personna better, which probably explains why the audience in general would be more interested in their storyline.

This is why I think TLC just might try Duggar girls 2.0 with Johanna, Jennifer , Jordan, and Josie (and maybe Mackynzie).  They are close to the same ages as their older sisters when the first specials aired.

Speaking of Joe and Carlin...I don't think Carlin would be the Bates lady he would go for.  I think Tori would.

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

If Joe was getting to know Carlin, it wouldn't be that uncommon. I know other women who tried to set a favorite brother up with their best friend. My brother, who I'm very close to, had talked about setting me up with a friend of his when I used to spend time with my family in the summer. I also know that my Mom's brother set her up with my Dad.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

If Joe was getting to know Carlin, it wouldn't be that uncommon. I know other women who tried to set a favorite brother up with their best friend. My brother, who I'm very close to, had talked about setting me up with a friend of his when I used to spend time with my family in the summer. I also know that my Mom's brother set her up with my Dad.

One of my friends tried to set me up with her future brother-in-law because we had the same interests. It didn't work. He was nice enough but just never clicked.

• Upvote 2

My when my sister got married, she and her husband tried to set me up with her husband's best friend and our other sister up with the best friend's cousin who was also in their friend group....

Fast forward 10 years later and my sister has been married to the best friend's cousin for 6 years, and I am coming up on 5 years (and three kids) with the best friend. So sometimes set ups do work, haha. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

20 minutes ago, sadiZ said:

My when my sister got married, she and her husband tried to set me up with her husband's best friend and our other sister up with the best friend's cousin who was also in their friend group....

Fast forward 10 years later and my sister has been married to the best friend's cousin for 6 years, and I am coming up on 5 years (and three kids) with the best friend. So sometimes set ups do work, haha. 

When my dad's brother married my aunt 46 years ago he tired to set my dad up with his new bride's sister. My dad and the sister went out on a couple of dates but they went on to marry other people but remained friends over the years. Fast forward 39 years, both my dad and the sister are divorced and not in a relationship for the first time in ages. They ended up hooking up at my cousin's wedding and have been together ever since (7 years on August 26th ?).

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

I'd caution against setting up family members with in-law family members, if one relationship doesn't work out and another one does, it can get VERY awkward at family gatherings.  I have cousins, twin sisters who married brothers. One brother cheated on his wife about 8 or so years and 3 kids into their marriage. The other sister & brother are still married, though the siblings divorce almost caused them to divorce because their siblings were trying to get each of them to take their side.  The brother only cheated because the wife stopped putting out, well the wife stopped putting out because they had 3 kids she worked full time and had to do EVERYTHING at home, because he worked and his job was more important so he needed to be rested up and should be able to relax at home. ? The married couple wound up in marriage counseling the brother married the mistress until she dumped him for cheating on her & being a lazy POS, only then did the married brother realized his brother was a dick.  

• Upvote 10
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 3

Looking at Jason's instagram and jfc he looks like a store brand fuckboy with his cap on. Especially in that fast food order video.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

On 8/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, JMO said:

Joe was also the one that freaked when they went roller blading while courting and he had to touch her to help steady her.  He was sweating it.  Despite the fact that it helped her not fall and hurt herself, there was a chaperone and a full camera crew around he was worried that it would stir up unrightous desires. 

I remember that, and also during their courtship or engagement photo session the photog told Joe to put his arm around Kendra or on her shoulder or something innocuous like that. Joe was nearly paralyzed with fear and indecision. I've always attributed those two instances (that we know about, likely there are lots more) to Joe being terrified of making the wrong move and the repercussions from his parents.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic