IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 5: It Is Really not Okay to Date Your Brother

nelliebelle1197

Honestly I would be miserable too if I had been single and in Allison’s place. With parents like that forcing me to tour constantly and having to listen to daddy’s ridiculous rants all the time must have been awful. Allison is smug and annoying but damn, I can’t help but feel sorry for her. Her life can finally get started away from her shitty parents. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Haven’t got anything to say about that shitshow that hasn’t already been said.

I will go off about my pet wedding party attire peeve: groomsmen not wearing jackets. Even worse when the top half is just a white shirt and long tie. Because nothing says “special occasion” like a bunch of guys looking like accountants hanging around the water cooler.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Honestly I would be miserable too if I had been single and in Allison’s place. With parents like that forcing me to tour constantly and having to listen to daddy’s ridiculous rants all the time must have been awful. Allison is smug and annoying but damn, I can’t help but feel sorry for her. Her life can finally get started away from her shitty parents. 

Yeah but if the first guy speaking was her FIL, she’s just transferring from one narcissistic asshole to another. 

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Have t got anything to say about that shitshow that hasn’t already been said.

I will go off about my pet wedding party attire look: groomsmen not wearing jackets. Even worse when the top half is just a white shirt and long tie. Because nothing says “special occasion” like a bunch of guys looking like accountants hanging around the water cooler.

Yeah but if the first guy speaking was her FIL, she’s just transferring from one narcissistic asshole to another. 

Technically her FIL isn’t her boss. Her new husband is. And from what I can tell, he seems kind of quiet and shy. Hopefully he’s nothing like his father or her father and they have a good marriage. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

As for Denver, who I believe is 20, I predict a wedding sometime in 2021, but no earlier than June.

Can you imagine the speeches if/when Trump loses the election?

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Caroline said:

It seems silly that he gave such a political speech when he's really preaching to the choir.  How many with dissenting points of view are in the audience?  It always seems to me that people like this are trying to convince themselves of the things they say they believe by constantly talking about what they say they believe.

I wonder how much he's preaching to the choir, and how much people are just humouring him?

There was a lot of eyerolling from the bridesmaids. Other posters noted that Carolina and Cassidy seemed to be sharing some looks, Chelsy's face did NOT express agreement throughout, and I saw Rebecca rolling her eyes at one point. If his own daughters and daughters-in-law are looking obviously over his rant while in full view of his congregation, it may indicate a fair amount of disagreement among everyone else.  (And also the bridesmaids were probably tired of having to stand for an hour and a half!)

I was a bridesmaid once at a wedding where the celebrant, a secular officiant chosen for some vague connection to the groom's family, did a very short and anodyne ceremony as per the bride and groom's wishes. But he got up out of the blue at the reception and took the mike for a short speech, which included a misogynist statement about the man being the head of the household and the wife following her husband's lead. I'm very open about being feminist, and I was up at the head table obviously shaking my head and going "NOOOooooooooo". There was definitely a ripple of laughter agreeing with my antics, but the attendees kindly humoured his (otherwise ok) little moment and took it for the good wishes he did mean to convey.

But wow, is Marlin awful.

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I wonder how much he's preaching to the choir, and how much people are just humouring him?

There was a lot of eyerolling from the bridesmaids. Other posters noted that Carolina and Cassidy seemed to be sharing some looks, Chelsy's face did NOT express agreement throughout, and I saw Rebecca rolling her eyes at one point. If his own daughters and daughters-in-law are looking obviously over his rant while in full view of his congregation, it may indicate a fair amount of disagreement among everyone else.  (And also the bridesmaids were probably tired of having to stand for an hour and a half!)

I was a bridesmaid once at a wedding where the celebrant, a secular officiant chosen for some vague connection to the groom's family, did a very short and anodyne ceremony as per the bride and groom's wishes. But he got up out of the blue at the reception and took the mike for a short speech, which included a misogynist statement about the man being the head of the household and the wife following her husband's lead. I'm very open about being feminist, and I was up at the head table obviously shaking my head and going "NOOOooooooooo". There was definitely a ripple of laughter agreeing with my antics, but the attendees kindly humoured his (otherwise ok) little moment and took it for the good wishes he did mean to convey.

But wow, is Marlin awful.

I know fundie daughters are taught to love, honor, and obey their fathers. Therefore I think they all just bite their lips and are likely pretty used to his rants. But like you said, they stood for 90 minutes! I imagine even if they agreed with all that garbage, they were thinking, “get on with it already!”

• Upvote 9

I'm watching the wedding now.  Her father dissed my love, Gov Cuomo.  I have never been to a wedding like that.  Catholic weddings are so different.  The priest reads, the organist screeches Ave Maria so loud she can shatter glass, and then we all go to the reception and eat, drink, and dance.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

It sounds like Iowa doesn't have the same restrictions we have in my state.

Iowa's governor has done basically nothing and has even interfered when local governments try to take safety measures. Combined with a devastating storm last week that left a lot of people displaced or without electricity, it's a giant mess right now. My parents keep asking when I'm coming to visit next, and uh, no thanks ?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3

I am late to the wedding viewing, but isn't it every young woman's dream for her father to preach about sodomy at her wedding?  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 29
  • I Agree 1

From the wedding photographer’s story. Their get away car had Trump 2020 on the front window ???F0B41EFA-F857-401A-996C-967A062A2542.thumb.jpeg.d61a41685f10d69d761cbc3593706254.jpeg

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 22
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic

I am still floored about QAnon wedding speeches. 

• I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic