IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 5: It Is Really not Okay to Date Your Brother

nelliebelle1197

I was all set to watch the wedding. However I made the mistake of lying while waiting for the wedding to start so of course I slept through the whole thing. I was disappointed but I've read through all of your comments and it looks like falling asleep was the winner move. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

I sense desperation and alarm in Marlin especially.  The country is not evolving in the direction he expected and there isn't a damn thing he can do about it.  

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That was a Bowers Boy. I’m sure Curtis Bowers enjoyed Marlin’s rant but thought it needed some more conspiracy theories. 

I don't know the Bowers yet. Do I need rescue ferrets when I go "there"? 

• Upvote 2

@LorEl I could only manage about 7 minutes of Curtis Bowers conspiracy vid, I nearly threw my laptop out the window many times during those 7 minutes lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Nah, the Bontragers actually feed people at their weddings. 

Not at Chelsy's wedding, all they got was Taco soup.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, LorEl said:

I don't know the Bowers yet. Do I need rescue ferrets when I go "there"? 

Oh yes! Their blog is bowersbus (blogspot I think). Someone described it as saccharine, and that while Ma Bontrager would openly spank you, Ma Bowers would smile sweetly while secretly pinching you or something like that, and it was the perfect description.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 2

Maybe we'll get a few years respite before another Bontrager wedding.  This was the most soul killing event I've viewed in a long time.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 2

3 minutes ago, petrushka said:

Maybe we'll get a few years respite before another Bontrager wedding.  This was the most soul killing event I've viewed in a long time.

Don't get your hopes up! Denver has a gf in Minnesota (I wonder if it's one of the Helferich sisters!?), so expect an engagement soonish!

• Upvote 11

Just now, neurogirl said:

Allison's fundie wife stare is so SEVERE it almost looks fake.

I felt like it had to do something with his shyness as well. She was encouraging him on!

3 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

@BirdgirlH Does he? I missed this. Was there a blog post somewhere?

No, it's not in a blog post - the Bontragers don't seem to post anything on relationships before they're engaged. They've mentioned it in their introductions at recent concerts. I looked them up on YouTube because I'm just fascinated by this hot mess of a fundie family

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

First fundie wedding I have ever watched and Oh. My. God.

The mothers of the bride and groom hugging hope they get COVID.

Speaking of COVID watch for any spikes in Eastern IA in the next two weeks.

Jeremiah dragged a woman Not married to him kicking and screaming into church?  Good luck Allison.

Talking about homophobia, divorce and living in sin is a real downer.

Reference to Joshua Bontrager's male crush Winston Churchill?

Hey Marlin Rick Warren gave the invocation at Obama's inauguration so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reference to corporal punishment?

Conspiracy theories about the liberals planning the pandemic who wrote these sermons Curtis Bowers?

Hudson has been praying for a wife since he was two?  Give me a fucking break!

Marlin and both pastors sound like angry, narcissistic white men who are having their manliness questioned.

I didn't get to see the kiss cuz the glitched anyone else have that problem

Well Allison and Jeremiah I hope your first sexual experience tonight is worth it after having to listen to all that tripe and bullshit.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, SPHASH said:

I didn't get to see the kiss cuz the glitched anyone else have that problem

You didn't miss much, just a brief peck

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

He just called himself a visionary. Opening a hotel ain't that special, bud.

Oooh, he’s read Created to Be His Helpmeet! 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Not at Chelsy's wedding, all they got was Taco soup.

? Taco soup is a pretty filling meal. It's almost like chili in consistency and is great with tortilla chips. I'm guessing it was similar to something like this

https://www.cookingclassy.com/taco-soup/

ETA: Denver having a girlfriend isn't at all surprising, I figured he would be getting married sooner rather than later. Lincoln will probably get married young as well, since he has all of that Bible Bee money.

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

I was all set to watch the wedding. However I made the mistake of lying while waiting for the wedding to start so of course I slept through the whole thing. I was disappointed but I've read through all of your comments and it looks like falling asleep was the winner move. 

Same! I had an alarm set but fell back asleep waiting for the video to start! 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

? Taco soup is a pretty filling meal. It's almost like chili in consistency and is great with tortilla chips. I'm guessing it was similar to something like this

ETA: Denver having a girlfriend isn't at all surprising, I figured he would be getting married sooner rather than later. Lincoln will probably get married young as well, since he has all of that Bible Bee money.

Yes to the Taco Soup, and I think they had a fixings bar (jalapenos, cheese, etc.) with it. And of course there were lots of desserts in addition to wedding cake.

As for Denver, who I believe is 20, I predict a wedding sometime in 2021, but no earlier than June. Don't quite know what his "job" is going to be, though. It seems like they've got more than enough sons running their various businesses.

As for the rambling hateful politics of the dads, can you imagine going to a "liberal" wedding and having to listen to the officiant go on an extended tirade about, say, the melting icecaps, white supremacy, Fox News, or anti-vaxxers?  Even if I agreed with all  the sentiments, I'd still be saying to myself "WTF is this? I'm here for Chad and Diego's wedding, This is not appropriate!!"

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

Well. Can't wait to see what thread title this wedding takes us to. Surely there's enough material for a memorable one ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

As for the rambling hateful politics of the dads, can you imagine going to a "liberal" wedding and having to listen to the officiant go on an extended tirade about, say, the melting icecaps, white supremacy, Fox News, or anti-vaxxers?  Even if I agreed with all  the sentiments, I'd still be saying to myself "WTF is this? I'm here for Chad and Diego's wedding, This is not appropriate!!"

My niece is getting married in September. As many precautions as possible are being taken. My spare room closet is currently full of wipes, Lysol spray, sanitizer & masks. If things go downhill gets too steep and  the wedding doesn't happen, I can sell that sh*t on the black market and make a buck or two.  There will be sanitizers & masks & wipes at every table and various places around the site. She has wristbands for the guests that indicate your level of social comfort - like these  https://www.pcma.org/social-distancing-solution-wristbands-attendees/. It's also being held outside (ceremony) and an open barn (reception). She rescheduled her original June date which was totally different - she is not into the Pinterest barn wedding thing, but this works for the circumstances & an outdoor venue. There will be no more than 6 people to a table, assigned seating so people who have regular contact with each other are with/near each other. There will be 4 food lines with the staff controlling who goes when. There staff will serve through the lines rather than moving among the tables.  It's not a buffet, but they just don't want that level of inter-movement with servers. There will be a basic bar of beer, wine, seltzers, soda & water, but everything will be served in plastic cups so they can be tossed with each refill. However, people are allowed to bring their own beverages if they want to, as long as it's in a cooler labeled with their names and remains at their table. 

Lots of other stuff too that I can't even remember. 

The point is she is going to great lengths to make this as safe as possible for all who choose to attend. She keeps everyone updated on the website regularly about new ideas they've come up with or suggestions or plans of action. She also continually reminds people no one is required to attend and there will be zero hard feelings if you choose not to. 

Anyway - - all this to say - - in the comments section of their wedding site where all this & more is laid out, my cousin's wife commented that she wasn't sure they'd attend because it is apparently a "political event" and not a celebration. 

This is the cousin's wife who is a tRumper, willing to die on the anti mask hill, etc. 

My niece, in her graciousness, just responded that "as the web site says, they want everyone to do what they are comfortable with and they ask no one to do anything that makes them uncomfortable". 

Pretty sure that is as political as the wedding will get. Thank you baby Jebus! The ceremony is slated to be about 30 minutes, done by a JOP. I don't think god will be there. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Right??? Hubby's lesbian judge aunt married us in a ceremony that lasted all of 10 minutes. She talked about love, commitment, supporting each other, signed our marriage license and that's it lol. Fundies are so angry at liberals all the time and we just want everyone to be able to live a reasonable life with some time for leisure. Like, Marlin couldn't even let his daughter, who followed all the rules but clearly hated being single, have one day that was all about her. No, it was all about Marlin and the dirty liberals. And Allison will never again get to be special. Just Biblical submission and child rearing the rest of her days. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, BirdgirlH said:

Don't get your hopes up! Denver has a gf in Minnesota (I wonder if it's one of the Helferich sisters!?), so expect an engagement soonish!

I’m guessing it’s the Helferich sister he walked down the aisle with. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

As for Denver, who I believe is 20, I predict a wedding sometime in 2021, but no earlier than June. Don't quite know what his "job" is going to be, though. It seems like they've got more than enough sons running their various businesses.

That late, you think? ?Thinking back to Chelsy, she waited until the dust of the triple wedding had settled, then announced her engagement and married not long after - if I were Denver, going by Marlin's rant today, I'd do the same. But yeah if it's one of the Helferich girls he'd go from bad to worse. If he decided to move to Minnesota with her. Not sure what he would do, work-wise, otherwise, if he stayed in Iowa. Maybe work in Carson's mechanic shop?

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, BirdgirlH said:

That late, you think? ?Thinking back to Chelsy, she waited until the dust of the triple wedding had settled, then announced her engagement and married not long after - if I were Denver, going by Marlin's rant today, I'd do the same. But yeah if it's one of the Helferich girls he'd go from bad to worse. If he decided to move to Minnesota with her. Not sure what he would do, work-wise, otherwise, if he stayed in Iowa. Maybe work in Carson's mechanic shop?

Denver would definitely stay in Iowa just like his brothers. Only the girls have to move in the Bon family. He will just keep working on the farm.

• Upvote 6

58 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Taco soup sounds like it could be one of those party soups . One of my favourite in that category is this party staple 

https://ichkocheheute.de/en/2020/01/10/kaese-lauch-suppe-mit-hackfleisch-kartoffeln-leek-cheese-soup-with-ground-meat-potatoes/

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Right??? Hubby's lesbian judge aunt married us in a ceremony that lasted all of 10 minutes. She talked about love, commitment, supporting each other, signed our marriage license and that's it lol. Fundies are so angry at liberals all the time and we just want everyone to be able to live a reasonable life with some time for leisure. Like, Marlin couldn't even let his daughter, who followed all the rules but clearly hated being single, have one day that was all about her. No, it was all about Marlin and the dirty liberals. And Allison will never again get to be special. Just Biblical submission and child rearing the rest of her days. 

It seems silly that he gave such a political speech when he's really preaching to the choir.  How many with dissenting points of view are in the audience?  It always seems to me that people like this are trying to convince themselves of the things they say they believe by constantly talking about what they say they believe.  

Also:  I was really bothered by the people sitting so close together as if things are normal.  I think I've mentioned someplace here that we were supposed to go to a wedding that's been postponed twice, and now will only include the immediate families of the bride and groom.  They are planning a reception in another year.  We were not planning to go even if they had stuck with their September date.   Glad I don't live near the Bontragers.  It sounds like Iowa doesn't have the same restrictions we have in my state.

• Upvote 9

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic