IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 5: It Is Really not Okay to Date Your Brother

nelliebelle1197

Jeremiah has the same dead tone as his father. If that were my husband to be speaking his freaking wedding vows to me, I'd kick him. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

Oh man finally! It seems like it started a lifetime ago! How can they be so bad at public speaking? So glad I was able to skip most of the speech, thank you fjers 

• Upvote 2

His VOICE. WHAT.

Well, I think we know which one of them will actually be submitting. If his personality is anything like his voice, she's going to eat him alive the first time they disagree over something.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Aithuia said:

His VOICE. WHAT.

Well, I think we know which one of them will actually be submitting. If his personality is anything like his voice, she's going to eat him alive the first time they disagree over something.

Exactly my thought. Like, ok I get this relationship now

• Upvote 5

He seems shy and quiet. Very different from Allison. If Allison gives birth to a shy child, will she punish them for it like her mother did?

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 3

2 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

We are all the baby crying in the back

Preach, crying baby, preach! 

• Upvote 8

Sweet lord, they all sprinted out of there. I kind of want to partake in this food and especially if there's ribeye. 

• Upvote 6

Odd that they use the Anglican Book of Common Prayer vows, yet even more odd that during the exchange of rings they missed out one of the lines. It should be:

With this ring I thee wed,

With my body I thee honour,

And all my worldly goods with thee I endow

but they missed out the middle line, which is meant to be the promise to remain sexually faithful. Do they not think that is important? Or do they just not realise what the line means? Did they include something about that in their personalised vows instead?

Edited by Triplet3
  • Upvote 5

You guys, that was so much worse than I could have imagined. I watched the whole thing. My husband came in about halfway through Marlin's rant and we both watched in absolute horror.

I've never seen a more mean-spirited wedding. The amount of hate the fathers have for the world is shocking; they seem like they are incapable of actual tenderness and love. I feel so bad for the women who grow up in such households.

Allison is a dreamy romantic, and I expected this ceremony to reflect that in some way: instead, there were absolutely no decorations to speak of, no love mentioned in the vows, and not a single personal anecdote about how the couple met or fell in love. It was like we watched a Tea Party rally with a wedding thrown in at the end. 

• Upvote 29
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I have to say that these moments of exposure to the fundie world make me understand why so many of them are so blatantly (some might say immodestly) expressive in their religion.

If they weren't, then they'd constantly have to feel that all of those messages (about being saved and if they'd go to heaven/hell) from everyone they know that they're endlessly bombarded with were somehow directed at them. Given that they hear these kinds of things from family and friends on seemingly any occasion, it must wear them down. If you knew that your parents or family thought you hadn't been saved, then anything they said about needing to be saved or be damned could feel like such a personal, targeted message.

It must be an enormous societal pressure that, not living in that world, I really have no concept of. I'm lucky to have parents who understand the meaning of unconditional, familial love for many reasons, not the least of which is that they would never tell me over and over that I was going to go to hell until I checked their religious boxes.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, LorEl said:

That poor piano! 

That was a Bowers Boy. I’m sure Curtis Bowers enjoyed Marlin’s rant but thought it needed some more conspiracy theories. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

6 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

You guys, that was so much worse than I could have imagined. I watched the whole thing. My husband came in about halfway through Marlin's rant and we both watched in absolute horror.

I've never seen a more mean-spirited wedding. The amount of hate the fathers have for the world is shocking; they seem like they are incapable of actual tenderness and love. I feel so bad for the women who grow up in such households.

Allison is a dreamy romantic, and I expected this ceremony to reflect that in some way: instead, there were absolutely no decorations to speak of, no love mentioned in the vows, and not a single personal anecdote about how the couple met or fell in love. It was like we watched a Tea Party rally with a wedding thrown in at the end. 

I feel the same! And as smug and holier-than-thou as I find Allison, feel sad for her. From the rambling disjointed hate speech of her father-in-law to her own father's bizarro superfast rambling speech to her pastor's weird jokes, this.was.cringeworthy. the faces of the bridesmaids said it all.

Edited by BirdgirlH
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

This is a perfect example of why PATRIARCHY SUCKS. 

These men were given the microphone because they have penises. Not a single female (besides Allison’s vows) got to talk. But I bet the mothers of the bride and groom would have done a much better job speaking at a wedding. But nope. You don’t get to because you only gave birth to the people getting married. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 24
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic