• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
nelliebelle1197

Bontragers/Bowers 5: It Is Really not Okay to Date Your Brother

JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, petrushka said:

The family summer singing tour looks punishing to me.  I have to assume that Allison will have some outside wedding  help if Pa and Ma Bontrager expect her to perform for the duration of the tour.  Their final singing date (Aug. 9) is in Bemidji MN about 4 hours north of Mountain Lake where I believe Jeremiah's family lives.  I say just stop the bus there, say the "I do's" and drop Allison off before heading home.  

The really crappy part is that fundies see weddings as yet another way of preaching their superior beliefs. Therefore the more guests, the better. I don’t think the Bontrager parents would be happy about Allison having a quick small wedding. It’s expected for her to have a large wedding whether she feels like planning it or not. 

NancyDrewFan1989
6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I got the impression that Chelsy had to do everything alone. I suppose she had some help, of course, but she was mostly on her own. It was a bit sad.

I think Chelsy and John outdoor wedding pictures were beautiful with the snow and her turquoise foulard, but the indoors looked like they were in a very dark place, which is not the best light for wedding pictures.

Overall, she did her best, sew a nice dress for herself and had some decorations at the reception. And was barefoot, which for some reason was a very important detail for her.

Alison may have still less help! She badly wants a country but fancy wedding and getting good results on that style take a lot of effort.

Chelsy did make her own wedding dress. I now wonder if that took up much of her time with planning. I know Chelsy likes to sew, but her dress was one of the prettiest home made wedding dresses I have seen. She really did pay attention to detail when making it. I don't foresee Allison making her own wedding dress, so she might have more free time to make things. We will see in August what she does.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If she did just get engaged over the weekend, she was planning the wedding leading up to the official engagement. There’s no way she could plan this wedding in such a short time frame while touring around the country for over a month. It’s insane to me that she isn’t allowed to stay home and plan her wedding. Carson stayed home one summer before he was ever married because he wanted to work on the farm. But Allison isn’t allowed. She’s going to be so stressed out. Bontragers have large weddings because they have a huge extended family and a lot of friends.

I've been rereading the blog posts about the engagement. All we know is that Allison got engaged on a Saturday, we just don't know which. For a few years the Bontragers have become fundie celebrities so Allison could have gotten engaged a few weeks ago and chose to hold off on announcing so she can enjoy being engaged before announcing it. Plus, the Bontragers held off on announcing Chelsy's engagement to John for about a month. They didn't announcing Josh and Cassidys and Mitchell and Bryn's engagements for a couple of weeks post engagement. I believe they did the same with Carson and Lina. So she might have been engaged for a longer period of time and they waited to announce until they had a date. Just speculation.

browngrl

I'm meal prepping today and while doing all the chopping and washing up I've been musing about Alison's wedding. Topics I've consided:

Possible lumberjack style bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen wear: plaid dresses with a burlap bow. Daisy flower  and straw crowns and Laura Ingalls type boots. The men of course in suspenders/plaid shirts and khakis (they could all be munching on a piece of straw as they walk down the aisle). 

Possible scenarios for the wedding: what if Steve Maxwell crashed the wedding to deliver a sermon on the current state of his scrotum with perhaps a few casual comments on death? 

Clearly I need a break from kitchen work and thinking about fundies .😀

JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I'm meal prepping today and while doing all the chopping and washing up I've been musing about Alison's wedding. Topics I've consided:

Possible lumberjack style bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen wear: plaid dresses with a burlap bow. Daisy flower  and straw crowns and Laura Ingalls type boots. The men of course in suspenders/plaid shirts and khakis (they could all be munching on a piece of straw as they walk down the aisle). 

Possible scenarios for the wedding: what if Steve Maxwell crashed the wedding to deliver a sermon on the current state of his scrotum with perhaps a few casual comments on death? 

Clearly I need a break from kitchen work and thinking about fundies .😀

It looked like Curtis Bowers may have led the service for Jesse’s recent wedding. I wonder if he mentioned Steve’s scrotum like Chelsy’s dad did at her wedding. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

Wifey4Lifey
5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s sad is that when it came to the triple wedding weekend of the Bon Brothers, everyone seemed to do a lot of work. They all pitched in. It’s unfair that Allison helped with the other weddings and now she’s likely going to get a lot less help because her oldest siblings are married with children. 

Unfortunately this is true for more than just fundie weddings. I've helped out with so many family weddings over the past 10 years, and now that I'm engaged, most of those people have gone on to have kids and won't be able to return the favor in the same capacity. It sucks, but that's just how it is when you're one of the last ones to get married in your social or family group. 

llg1234
2 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I've been rereading the blog posts about the engagement. All we know is that Allison got engaged on a Saturday, we just don't know which. For a few years the Bontragers have become fundie celebrities so Allison could have gotten engaged a few weeks ago and chose to hold off on announcing so she can enjoy being engaged before announcing it. Plus, the Bontragers held off on announcing Chelsy's engagement to John for about a month. They didn't announcing Josh and Cassidys and Mitchell and Bryn's engagements for a couple of weeks post engagement. I believe they did the same with Carson and Lina. So she might have been engaged for a longer period of time and they waited to announce until they had a date. Just speculation.

Allison posted on her Instagram story yesterday that she was engaged 4 days earlier, meaning she was engaged on May 31st? But the Bontrager blog posted that was engaged on a Saturday, so maybe she got her numbers mixed up. As for the triple wedding couples, I had thought they had posted about the engagements pretty shortly after they had happened. I think Chelsy only waited to announce hers because it happening so close to the weddings.

Sad
nvmbr02

Looking back on Allison's instagram it does seem like she posted about her brother's engagements shortly after they happened. Carson on April 20th, Josh on June 1st and Mitchell on June 2nd all in 2017. The only one that came later was Chesly

I do think Allison's ring is very pretty. 

JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, nvmbr02 said:

Looking back on Allison's instagram it does seem like she posted about her brother's engagements shortly after they happened. Carson on April 20th, Josh on June 1st and Mitchell on June 2nd all in 2017. The only one that came later was Chesly

I do think Allison's ring is very pretty. 

I think Chelsy partly held off due to the fact that she got engaged just a few days before the big triple wedding weekend. She probably didn’t want to steal their thunder. Plus Chelsy seems a little more private than Allison. 

SolomonFundy
7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Chelsy partly held off due to the fact that she got engaged just a few days before the big triple wedding weekend. She probably didn’t want to steal their thunder. Plus Chelsy seems a little more private than Allison. 

Plus the Maxwuzzles probably requested that it be kept quiet as long as humanly possible since they've learned time and time again that a publicized engagement is an open door to a humiliating admission of failure when their son's betrothed goes full Runaway Bride.

petrushka
On 6/5/2020 at 2:35 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Alison may have still less help! She badly wants a country but fancy wedding and getting good results on that style take a lot of effort.

Country plus fancy--you got it!

Plaid-Flannel-Bride-Ciara-Richardson-Photography-Hair-and-Make-Up-by-Steph.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

NancyDrewFan1989
On 6/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, llg1234 said:

Allison posted on her Instagram story yesterday that she was engaged 4 days earlier, meaning she was engaged on May 31st? But the Bontrager blog posted that was engaged on a Saturday, so maybe she got her numbers mixed up. As for the triple wedding couples, I had thought they had posted about the engagements pretty shortly after they had happened. I think Chelsy only waited to announce hers because it happening so close to the weddings.

Got it, I didn't see that. I know that Chelsy held off because of the weddings which kind of shocked me because the Bontragers do have a good pretty good fundie following and it there as a chance the news would get out before the family announced. We know the Maxwells would not have announced it, but with all the connections the Bontragers have someone could have leaked it on another blog making them have to announce it. 

8 hours ago, petrushka said:

Country plus fancy--you got it!

Plaid-Flannel-Bride-Ciara-Richardson-Photography-Hair-and-Make-Up-by-Steph.jpg

I've seen it where many brides are able to match flannel with their bridal dresses beautifully. However, a wedding in August may be too hot to add flannel. Then again, Chelsy ran around barefoot in the snow for a few photos. So Allison might suck it up for a bit and wear the flannel in the hot summer sun.

SolomonFundy

I'll be honest: I'd wear the hell out of that LumberProm ensemble.

JermajestyDuggar

I wouldn’t wear that but I think you could incorporate plaid in the bridesmaid dresses in a very cute way. Same with the groomsmen. Plaid ties would be cute.

neurogirl
Posted (edited)

This is a picture from my friend's wedding. The shawls were for warmth as this was Minnesota in January, but the plaid actually looked really good with a berry bridesmaid dress (sorry the pic is in black & white, it's the only one that allows for privacy). I could see Allison doing this in the summer for looks/modesty.

52655906_1923172024472806_4368865455322955776_n.jpg.6b471439bd4aa75a8c4a46e957cfe3f6.jpg

P.S. Fun fact. My beautiful friend (the bride) wanted snow in her wedding photos. This was Jan in MN so this shouldn't have been an issue. Well, unfortunately her wedding weekend came and there was NO SNOW. We did get a little dusting the night before, which was very pretty, but her friends also bought fake snow to throw so she could have it in her pictures :) 

Edited by neurogirl

Wifey4Lifey

I've seen cute getting ready pictures with the bridal party all wearing flannel shirts. They'd be good to wear for getting hair and makeup done since you don't have to pull them over your head to take them off. Definitely not what I'd want to wear in August, but if you're inside with air conditioning it may not be too bad. 

fundiefan

Allison posted pictures of the engagement on IG. Taken from a distance by someone else. 

I know it's judgy of me, but I hate supposedly "private" engagements that have photographers hiding in the woods or whatever. 

If you want a public engagement, with pictures, do it publicly.

If you want to claim a surprise, romantic, intimate engagement - leave the photographers at home.

I would honestly be creeped out if I were sincerely surprised yet, there are pictures of every step. But, that's just me and I know that I am being judgmental but don't care.  

Dizzy
nelliebelle1197
On 6/4/2020 at 11:54 PM, Dominionatrix said:

image.png.88bb7291fa20879bca3c69b6b76bd0ed.png

In the Bontrager blog's semi-recent post about visiting Chelsy Allison is wearing a shirt that says "Quad Bros." There is a Quad Brothers Trucking & Excavating company in Mountain Lake, MN, home of Allison's intended. It appears to be owned, or at least run, by his brother. Based on the fact that Allison is sporting this shirt, perhaps this is where Jeremiah works, too. I wonder if he and his family will allow Allison to contribute to the business in a meaningful way; she gives the impression of being entrepreneurial. 

I am confused by this extrapolation. I don't think it is weird for an engaged woman to wear a shirt from a family business.

I am not why that would equal Jeremiah working there.

JermajestyDuggar
29 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Allison posted pictures of the engagement on IG. Taken from a distance by someone else. 

I know it's judgy of me, but I hate supposedly "private" engagements that have photographers hiding in the woods or whatever. 

If you want a public engagement, with pictures, do it publicly.

If you want to claim a surprise, romantic, intimate engagement - leave the photographers at home.

I would honestly be creeped out if I were sincerely surprised yet, there are pictures of every step. But, that's just me and I know that I am being judgmental but don't care.  

The pictures do seem like something a PI would take. It’s creepy but I guess it’s nice they got a “semi-private” engagement. I got engaged on a bridge and there wasn’t a soul in sight. I prefer it that way. 

usmcmom

I can’t explain why but the whole barefoot thing gives me a creepy vibe. Why do both (soon to be) married daughters insist on being barefoot for major life moments? If we had seen this with only Chelsy on her wedding day, it would not seem so strange; but now seeing it with Allison in her engagement just makes it weird...like...creepy weird. 

Allison said they walked through the woods to the bridge. Did she walk through the woods barefoot? 

browngrl

I like being barefoot and will elect to have no shoes given any opportunity. However, this wrecks havoc on my feet. The soles of my feet get callused and polish never lasts. Barefoot living does not leave my feet pretty. When circumstances finally force me to put my shoes back on,  I have to do a lot of scraping and polishing ( I love those peeling foot masks) to have nice looking feet again.

So I get the love of barefoot living, but why do they insist on barefoot for fancy occasions? Chelsy had to walk on  a questionably clean church carpet (after everyone else had walked on it with their winter boots) and later she was in the snow and Alison walked on a country road area which must have had gravel which would hurt uncallused bare feet. Maybe the girls took the phrase "barefoot and pregnant" to heart. 

Dominionatrix
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am confused by this extrapolation. I don't think it is weird for an engaged woman to wear a shirt from a family business.

I am not why that would equal Jeremiah working there.

I never said it was weird. I just think it's more likely that she'd wear a shirt from her fiance's job than from his brother's. It's just idle speculation, though.

ETA: Then again, we know how Allison loves to support a brother! Perhaps she's moved from nurturing her brother's manhood to nurturing her brother-in-law's business!

Edited by Dominionatrix
Bontragers are weird

NancyDrewFan1989

I just saw the Bontragers Summer Tour Schedule. It looks like they are spending two weeks in Minnesota. I have a feeling the wedding will be held in Minnesota rather that in Iowa at the Bontragers church. Plus, I don't think Allison will be as involved in this summer tour as she has in the past. For some reason, I think the family will let her either go to Iowa or Minnesota (where ever the wedding is being held) some time in the middle of the tour to wedding plan.

Giddy
HerNameIsBuffy
On 6/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, browngrl said:

Perhaps his scrotum can opine about how it feels regarding it's new vegan diet.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 8

VBOY9977
Posted (edited)

Allison and Jeremiah’s wedding website is up. They’re getting married in Iowa since they talk about the Dutch Inn in the travel section.

They also posted their relationship timeline and their wedding party. Here’s the link

https://www.theknot.com/us/allison-bontrager-and-jeremiah-helferich-aug-2020/

Edited by VBOY9977

therulesofjinx

their story section is a little lacking....I wonder if they'll eventually write one of those "how we met" blog posts from each of their perspectives.