IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 13: What's the other one, Becky?

samurai_sarah

OK Folks,  behind Bro’s head is a thing.  Maybe his nose demon has escaped, or Saytun is indeed after him, or the resident church cat hates his guts.

Spoiler

A2DD7EDA-3F64-4883-B409-1D33C1FEA2C1.thumb.jpeg.30c4771d85720f8de18f31c9d783e769.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 14

On 5/15/2020 at 6:19 AM, AmazonGrace said:

If we could listen to the Hawkins family singing backwards, what kind of messages would be there?

This reminded me of the craze concerning the Led Zeppelin song, Stairway to Heaven.  played backwards they said it was a satanic message Lol.

Robert Plant had this to say during a Rolling Stone interview ...

If You Play 'Stairway to Heaven' in Reverse, You Hear Satanic Messages. ... "Who on Earth would have ever thought of doing that?" Robert Plant said of the backward-Satanism charges. "You've got to have a lot of time on your hands to even consider that people would do that."  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

image.png.c0b2875826c04959724d6983265d2e2f.png

Poor Gary and Becky - they can't find a KJV church having Wednesday evening service, in this county with 85 Baptist churches.

Gary - gather up the goats and the donkey and the dog and preach to them! Just have the camera facing them when you go live on Facebook, OK?

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

OK Folks,  behind Bro’s head is a thing.  Maybe his nose demon has escaped, or Saytun is indeed after him, or the resident church cat hates his guts.

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

I'm sure if there were cats at Hyles' luxurious hideaway, Gary would have listed them when describing all of the animals they are caring for, in their humble willingness to be a help.

• Haha 10

8 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

image.png.c0b2875826c04959724d6983265d2e2f.png

Poor Gary and Becky - they can't find a KJV church having Wednesday evening service, in this county with 85 Baptist churches.

But it can only be a BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCH (TM)!!!!!!! And the right kind of Bible. None of that NIV crap (or whichever one Becky was badmouthing the other day).

• Upvote 7

Bro Gary was live again this evening, and he knew it was evening and that he is in Georgia.  Thursdee they will be headin' farther south. Some toothsucking, lots of sounds of work being done by other people in the background.

"Our country's in a messss."

He says there is protestin' "Twenty minutes from mah home, where ah live" - Gary, you don't live anywhere.

At 1:17, there is a noise that sounds like a cougar - shut up and go guard the goats, Gary!

"Ah'm not here to argee - ah'm jest here to give ya the facts."

What our country was founded on is bein' taken up lit'r'lly from under our feet.

If you have problems, don't blame them on (list all relatives, co-workers, Trump, even Pelosi) - your problem is yourself.

Gary - go look in a mirror.

"See, some of ya have these videos planned when ya do 'em - ah don't."

I never would have guessed.

Gary freezes, then moves his lips while reading a comment:

image.png.392d15ff60ff235de24f2bf9a2c2ab54.png

He answers, sounding miffed, "Well, brother, ya gotta realize one thing, we decided to close all the doors about eight weeks ago, or maybe two months ago, then all of a sudden now here we are, we got this, because a vahris."

:confusion-shrug: What does that have to do with what Meyer posted?

"The church is the problem." "The problem is Christians not prayin', gittin' on their knees."

Is anybody keeping track of how many things and people Gary says are to blame, after he said each person only has themselves to blame?

Still defensive, Gary says we shouldn't tell him not to use a certain verse, and "I know how to deterprit whut the Bahble says."

Meyer comments:

Spoiler

image.png.4ffc5e243724e95dc401b1ed57197660.png

And I think Gary realizes that he's agreeing with him now - "Sinners are actin' like sinners, but so-called Christians ain't actin' like so-called Christians."

Spoiler

image.png.561efe78aa4d2574488c7e3c70937054.png

He reminds us of the "black video" (but he's "not pickin' on collar") he sent around of the man who apologized to governor Cooper.

Then he jumps up because he has to "plug up his phone 'cause it's about to go dead." He disappears,  gets Becky's help finding the phone charger, comes back, plugs in the phone and goes right on with God judging us like He judged Israel for rejecting him.

"Ah don't know how to describe any other countries, 'cause ah've only bin to Canada one time and I know that uh thangs that are happenin' in Candada far as, like, free speech is comin' to Amer - comin' to where we're not gonna have free speech any more."

He gives us a long list of old-time preachers he "was under."

He says he ain't gonna tell where he went to church at yesterday, not to gonna name names (ooooh, I feel a major put-down comin' - throw those stones, Gary!).

But, after mentioning that the pasture let them shake hands, then everybody used hand sanitizer, he gets distracted, telling us that he believes in being clean, that you should wash your hands after using the bathroom. He was in a bathroom on the road the other day, and two men walked out without washing their hands - Gary thinks that's disgusting. He may start doing like his brother, and using his foot to lift the commode.

"I don't want a disease. But, walking right out. But, America, America!"

"Some people say America's not found in the Bible. You can say it is, you can say it ain't. You can agree, you can disagree - don't much matter. But in the middle of Jerusalem is three words. Three letters, not three words. In the middle of Jerusalem is three letters - U. S. A." He counts them off on his fingers. "United States of America." He counts them off on his fingers again. And then he stares at us silently for several seconds.

I was picturing some ancient glyph on a rock somewhere, that idiots were interpreting to be the English letters U, S and A. and was about to google, and then I realized this doofus was talking about the word "JerUSAlem."

:headdesk:

Dickhead, the actual name of the city in Hebrew has none of those letters, and the pronunciation would be transliterated as something like "Yerooshalayim." In Arabic, it's القُدس, transliterated as "al-Quds," if I can trust google. Not to mention all the other names . . . oh, never mind - this guy thinks God spoke directly to King James' translators in 1611-style English.

More people need to come up to the altars. A story from the old days: a church has a spot on the carpet that was always wet, because someone kept getting on their knees on that spot, agonizing and cryin' to God at the altar.

Wow, what a moving story.

He's glad there are a handful of people who still pray, but "there's more that does than that don't. No,  there's more that don't than does."

"Lester Roloff had God all over him because he fasted and prayed."

Gary looked all the way through the Bible for the word love. "Jacob He loved, Esau He hated." Stupid-people voice: "Oh, God don't hate nothin'." Gary assures us that God hates lots of things. "One day, God's gonna burn up this place - it's gonna be up in flames."

Gary says he wasn't planning to say any of this, but he just wants to follow Jesus. "And if it harelips the devil, it harelips the devil. If it harelips the deacon, it harelips the deacon."

That's a new one on me - apparently, it means someone will do or say what they want, no matter what.

Gary starts to talk about Wednesday night services, and does a bizarre seizure-like riff imitating people in too much of a hurry for Wednesday night church, at 19:30.

He says something about when he first got into an "Independent Fundamentalist" - he stops himself, and says he's going to take that off, since "that'ssssssss shady stuff, right  there," and switches to saying "a Bible-believin' church."

Gary tells us that he is not going to get involved in any more sports. I'm pretty sure he means as a spectator. He says he used to be in sports "real big, so big that ah betted in it," and he lost more than he won. Ah, Gary, always finding good uses for money he didn't earn.

He talks about going doorknocking in the old days. "This was back in the days whenever you could git into people's houses, now you lucky if you kin git on the porch. Now you lucky if you kin even give 'em a gospel tract without 'em cussin'." They were taught to find something in the house they could talk about, without losing the main goal of "invitin' 'em to church."

"That's the reason we have pastures today - so they can deesciple those people." Apparently, "deecipling" involves a circular motion (reminds me of the arm bike I used during physical therapy for a dislocated shoulder, which makes me wish he'd said "deecycling"):

Spoiler

image.png.131e437ab60b99e51451cc071094013a.png

Edited by thoughtful
missing words
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 17

Another video tonight - after, no doubt, making dinner and cleaning up from dinner, Becky practices the piano, and Gary videos, sniffing, snorting, moving things around, and making other noises.

With the lighting, the tiled floor (if only it was alternating black and white), Rascal by the bench, and Becky's pulled up hair looking almost like a cap, it's very Vermeer-like:

Spoiler

image.png.16230afaed2e44228881dc4678cfd38f.png  image.png.51e5efeaf7acbbf229a459c12f98d828.pngimage.png.84913e669e86f11fba1c190de3911dcb.png

Well, OK, except for the enormous fridge and the bar and barstools in the background.

Becky's playing is sounding pretty good tonight, mostly in rhythm and confident. She just plays the piano for some, and without the offensive words, being sung out of tune, the tunes are simple and sweet. She gets some positive comments.

Gary applauds when Becky stops to find a new song, and comments "Doin' good, Maw, doin' good," and  "Excelluntah, Ma, excelluntah," (does he think that's Spanish? Italian? Vaguely upper-class?).

At one point, I think she asks him to stop the video (she's too quiet to hear), but he says they have people watching.

Near the end, he claps loudly with the rhythm of the song for a bit, then makes shooter noises like a pre-teen imitating a video game. I think he's playing with how acoustically live the room is, trying to make echoes.

Becky keeps on going, despite the interruptions.

At the end, Gary yells "Thanks for tunin' in! Mah wahf is doin' a great job, playin' the piana!"

Even when he's trying to be nice, he's so obnoxious.

Edited by thoughtful
riffles, adding something
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 17
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Some people say America's not found in the Bible. You can say it is, you can say it ain't. You can agree, you can disagree - don't much matter. But in the middle of Jerusalem is three words. Three letters, not three words. In the middle of Jerusalem is three letters - U. S. A." He counts them off on his fingers. "United States of America." He counts them off on his fingers again. And then he stares at us silently for several seconds.

Ok dying laughing here. So Gary's now essentially into numerology?

Also so glad he counted them, would hate for him to be off by a letter.

By his logic he should be heading north or west - Salem is right there in Jerusalem, it's a Sign!

• Haha 11

I'm so sorry to kind of derail this topic as I haven't read the last few posts but I need some honest input and I know all of you are intelligent and articulate. I'm too afraid to post in the BLM forum because they don't know me over there and I always second guess what I write and am afraid of being judged or coming across wrong.

My daughter is about to turn 16 and is outraged at everything that is happening. She's so angry that history is, for a better term, being whitewashed in their school. She is only just now learning about slavery and I told her about the Rodney King trials and riots in 1992, and she's so mad that they're not being taught that.

From her past, she is aware of white privilege (which unfortunately I was not aware of until a few years ago after joining FJ, despite growing up in Mississippi). She wants to actually learn about the history of the US, not just read a chapter in a book and regurgitate a summary on paper. She is fired up and I told her that's a good thing. I told her if she's not angry, then that isn't OK. 

Does anyone have any suggestions, resources, etc. that I can share with/teach her about? She wants to watch Roots (I guess there's a new version; I grew up with the LeVar Burton version, which had a profound effect on me). I want to be sure that we are culturally sensitive.

Again, I'm so sorry to completely derail the Bro threads. They are just where I feel safest on FJ. The thought of Bro trying to be culturally sensitive and proactive is both amusing and deeply disturbing to me.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

16 hours ago, ALM7 said:

This reminded me of the craze concerning the Led Zeppelin song, Stairway to Heaven.  played backwards they said it was a satanic message Lol.

Robert Plant had this to say during a Rolling Stone interview ...

If You Play 'Stairway to Heaven' in Reverse, You Hear Satanic Messages. ... "Who on Earth would have ever thought of doing that?" Robert Plant said of the backward-Satanism charges. "You've got to have a lot of time on your hands to even consider that people would do that."  

Rob Halford said words to the effect that if he was back-masking he'd say "buy more Judas Priest albums" rather than "do it" when the group were being sued for encouraging suicide .

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I'm so sorry to kind of derail this topic as I haven't read the last few posts but I need some honest input and I know all of you are intelligent and articulate. I'm too afraid to post in the BLM forum because they don't know me over there and I always second guess what I write and am afraid of being judged or coming across wrong.

My daughter is about to turn 16 and is outraged at everything that is happening. She's so angry that history is, for a better term, being whitewashed in their school. She is only just now learning about slavery and I told her about the Rodney King trials and riots in 1992, and she's so mad that they're not being taught that.

From her past, she is aware of white privilege (which unfortunately I was not aware of until a few years ago after joining FJ, despite growing up in Mississippi). She wants to actually learn about the history of the US, not just read a chapter in a book and regurgitate a summary on paper. She is fired up and I told her that's a good thing. I told her if she's not angry, then that isn't OK. 

Does anyone have any suggestions, resources, etc. that I can share with/teach her about? She wants to watch Roots (I guess there's a new version; I grew up with the LeVar Burton version, which had a profound effect on me). I want to be sure that we are culturally sensitive.

Again, I'm so sorry to completely derail the Bro threads. They are just where I feel safest on FJ. The thought of Bro trying to be culturally sensitive and proactive is both amusing and deeply disturbing to me.

I have always been a reader so my suggestions are more about books.  When I was younger, I read Roots by Alex Haiey, The Color Purple, by Alice Walker, The Autobiogrophy of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley. The Invisible Man by Ralph Edison.  And I'm sure there are even better writers now with books that help us walk in someone else's shoes.  And when I was a young teenager, I read The Ugly American by Lederer and Burdick - a book that tells us about how our American-centric policies make us look like fools abroad.  And I read The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford about abuses in funeral home practices. And I read Now I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.  The books about foreign policy and about funeral practices help me think along the lines that our country isn't all it's talked up to be.  

Some of there were hard books to read in that the stories were tragic and some conditions were truly inhumane.  There are rapes and beatings and killings.  I'm not sure if we will ever be able to stand in our brothers and sisters shoes but, I think, we always need to try.  If our country loses empathy, we're gone.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I just found this database: YALSA is the Young Adult Literary Services Association (part of the American Library Association), so they know their books. The downside is that it's limited to books that are written specifically for young adults (teenagers), so it's not going to include all of the classics, but YA is a decent starting point for fiction. (I'd suggest scanning the Coretta Scott King and Excellence in Nonfiction award lists.) And even if her school's curriculum whitewashes history, her school librarian (or the teen librarian at the public library) could have a few more specific suggestions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I just saw this on my Facebook feed:573676B9-C900-49BB-A5DC-BC742C64A802.thumb.jpeg.939d3f4bdd62b781756b48afb6b351d2.jpeg

Here’s the link:

https://www.ted.com/playlists/250/talks_to_help_you_understand_r?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=social&utm_term=social-justice
In my experience TED talks are very informative, interesting and easy to follow, so maybe that would be a good resource for your daughter if she doesn’t only want to read books.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I remember loving, and learning a lot from, James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me, but wasn't sure how it would hold up, since it originally came out in 1995. But there is an updated version.

As he says in this interview, hearing the racist textbook explanation for the failure of Reconstruction, coming from his college students, started the process.

Can you take me back to the original inspiration for the book?

My first full-time teaching job was at a black college, Tougaloo College in Mississippi. I had 17 new students in my new second semester [freshman sociology] seminar and I didn't want to do all the talking the first day of class so I asked them, "OK, what is Reconstruction? What comes to your mind from that period?"

And what happened to me was an aha experience, although you might better consider it an oh-no experience: 16 out of my 17 students said, "Well, Reconstruction was the period right after the Civil War when blacks took over the government of the Southern states. But they were too soon out of slavery and so they screwed up and white folks had to take control again."

My little heart sank. I mean, there's at least three direct lies in that sentence.

Blacks never took over the government of the Southern states — all of the Southern states had white governors throughout the period. All but one had white legislative majorities.

Second, the Reconstruction governments did not screw up. Across the South without exception they built the best state constitutions that the Southern states have ever had. Mississippi, in particular, had better government during Reconstruction than at any later point in the 19th century.

A third lie would be, whites didn't take control. It was white supremacist Democrats — indeed, it was the original Ku Klux Klan.

So I thought to myself, "My gosh, what must it do to you to believe that the one time your group was center stage in American history, they screwed up?"

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/09/634991713/lies-my-teacher-told-me-and-how-american-history-can-be-used-as-a-weapon

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

So, here's a question - does the addition of a fresh tomato improve the look of weens and pink gravy, or just add a certain "crime scene" ambience to the usual "somebody vomited" effect?

Spoiler

image.png.531ea69ea2c0a730289e308265df27a1.png

Caleb is on the "quito" diet:

Spoiler

image.png.963129bc90ce6fd6be024c7376283ee4.png

Linda is disgusted, but note the reason why (and is all of what Michael Stout says kidding around, or is some of it serious?):

Spoiler

image.png.2c4eef0bec3ab568af290aac2b8ca723.png

Edited by thoughtful
ETA the word "add!"
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 7

Thank you so much for the responses, everyone! Our library is slowly reopening and I would like to check out some of those books for sure, and I think I'm going to have the whole family watch the TED talk tonight. My husband needs some educating about all this too. I've learned so much from FJ and I want him to be enlightened too (although he's a Trump supporter so…)

LOL about the Quito diet (isn't that in Ecuador?). I wanted to try to eat more keto but I'm a vegetarian so that makes it hard. Earlier this year I committed to eating way less carbs and bread. I now eat a bagel for breakfast every morning and I just bought a loaf of soft sourdough bread from the bakery. I cannot do anything in moderation–it's all or nothing and right now, it's all about the bread and carbs. And I'm not even sorry!!

Also the addition of the tomato just makes that whole thing look even more nasty. I'm with you, Linda.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Try getting her to watch this 

All. The. Way. Through. Then search for and watch just about anything Dr Jacqueline  Battalora has ever done.  

Edited by Threff
Meh. Riffles
  • Thank You 5

16 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"Some people say America's not found in the Bible. You can say it is, you can say it ain't. You can agree, you can disagree - don't much matter. But in the middle of Jerusalem is three words. Three letters, not three words. In the middle of Jerusalem is three letters - U. S. A." He counts them off on his fingers. "United States of America." He counts them off on his fingers again. And then he stares at us silently for several seconds.

I was picturing some ancient glyph on a rock somewhere, that idiots were interpreting to be the English letters U, S and A. and was about to google, and then I realized this doofus was talking about the word "JerUSAlem."

:headdesk:

Dickhead, the actual name of the city in Hebrew has none of those letters, and the pronunciation would be transliterated as something like "Yerooshalayim." In Arabic, it's القُدس, transliterated as "al-Quds," if I can trust google. Not to mention all the other names . . . oh, never mind - this guy thinks God spoke directly to King James' translators in 1611-style English.

So his theory is that God named ירושלים so that over the course of thousands of years going from Akkadian to ancient Hebrew to Greek to Latin and finally English, the name would eventually contain an abbreviation for a yet to be created country founded largely by Deists and named after a Catholic. 

Interesting.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

So his theory is that God named ירושלים so that over the course of thousands of years going from Akkadian to ancient Hebrew to Greek to Latin and finally English, the name would eventually contain an abbreviation for a yet to be created country founded largely by Deists and named after a Catholic. 

That's about the size of it. And it's just about as logical as thinking the 1611 KJV is the original word of God.

I think the idea that God is all-powerful and can do anything can become so dangerous in the mind of someone selfish and bigoted like Gary, because it leads to the idea that God has done and will do anything that person wants.

Hence, fundies.

Edited by thoughtful
removing extra word
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Gary was live, filming someone else doing work.

"Jacob mowing the yard - gittin' to be a big boy, ridin' one o' them, uh, turn things whatever yacallit, turn on a dahm."

Gary yells at him to "say hello." Jacob is at least a bit more safety-conscious than his father, since he stops to do so, then moves on.

Spoiler

image.png.c5d68daa1a0173721167f374de2df02c.png

Gary thinks Jacob's having too much fun out there.

"See the billy goats out there." Are they all male, Gary?

I'd show you the goats, but Gary doesn't really get a shot of them - just distant dots in a pasture (an actual pasture, not a member of the clergy).

However, Dexter gets a lot of attention, and even a close-up:

Spoiler

image.png.fdbb0408487d3b6383be17479ea0b9e3.pngimage.png.3fabfc254bfc8f692a9f8ea015bcacaa.png

Gary tells us to say hello to Dexter, and Dexter to say hello to us (several times).

Back to a shot of Jacob, mowing and singing. Gary says, "Bein' a help and a blessin', that's what we do."

We?

At least he remembers the word "lawnmower" by the end of the video.

ETA - he also gets a comment from the woman who gets under his skin because she does things for others:

Spoiler

image.png.8cd866313a4979e954b0f5118e29011d.png

Yes, Gary, women are allowed to use lawnmowers.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Thank You 12

Is this Gary's bus his brother Josh is selling?

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/925015017938002/?media_id=4&ref=share_attachment

image.png.b9da322e89a216d52f13d225d392557a.png

Oh, and @PumaLover, Sundown Towns, also by Loewen, is another book that chronicles how different life has been for people in the US, based on race. It's about the efforts of places to stay all-white, some even having signs telling black people " (expletive), don't let the sun set on you in _____," and the more insidious versions of that crap still going on.

• Upvote 4

On 6/1/2020 at 8:18 AM, thoughtful said:

I have eaten two, and they were quite delicious. They won't go to waste.

Weens are good, all the time. All the time, weens are good.

Of course, if I was Gary, I would claim that GOD sent them to me, not coincidence.

I hear they are really good if you slice them up into a white sauce and serve over biscuits.

• Haha 11

12 hours ago, PumaLover said:

LOL about the Quito diet (isn't that in Ecuador?)

Well, I guess if he has to wait for his food to come from so far away, he'll lose weight!

image.png.a550a4ceafbdabef1136002115001c51.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

• samurai_sarah pinned and unpinned this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic