IGNORED

Every Sperm is Sacred: Upcoming Babies 17

Bethella

27 minutes ago, Aine said:

It depends largely on what part of Ireland you're from. My Papa was from Tipperary and his family are all in Tipperary and Cork and they say it closer to NEE-av (which sounds like knave kind of), whereas my friend from undergrad is from Dublin and her name is Aoife and her sister is Niamh and they say it more like NEE-v. I prefer the NEE-av prn but if I did ever use the name, I think it would be tough enough for a kid that will grow up in the US and/or Australia to correct people's pronunciations constantly to NEE-v, let alone the NEE-av pronunciation! My accent is a wonky Australian/American thing after spending so long now here in the US, and how I say 'knave' is pretty far from NEE-av but I could see it being very close in some American accents. But most Americans think I'm saying the letter 'A' when I say the letter 'E' to spell my own name to them, so I guess it makes sense that my EE sound would sound like an AY sound to others even if I don't hear it. ?‍♀️ Accents are weird!

Same with Caoimhe with the variation in pronunciation- my Papa said it almost like KwEE-va, with his lips barely moving to make that slight 'w' sound, and it was by far the most beautiful and melodic sounding name I've ever heard when he said it in his accent.

My point wasn't about regional accents, but about the pronunciation in Irish, the language. The woman I know prefers her name to be pronounced the Irish way. I think your Neeav and my knave are probably the same, blame my poor phonetics and maybe accent diffs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Kak said:

My point wasn't about regional accents, but about the pronunciation in Irish, the language. The woman I know prefers her name to be pronounced the Irish way. I think your Neeav and my knave are probably the same, blame my poor phonetics and maybe accent diffs. 

Though some names are pronounced differently depending on which Irish dialect you speak. Caoimhe is pronounced Key-va in Ulster Irish. @Aine dad said it as it's spoken in Munster Irish (I think). Ulster Irish doesn't sound as soft as the other dialects and we can be a bit hit and miss on fadas as well.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Though some names are pronounced differently depending on which Irish dialect you speak. Caoimhe is pronounced Key-va in Ulster Irish. @Aine dad said it as it's spoken in Munster Irish (I think). Ulster Irish doesn't sound as soft as the other dialects and we can be a bit hit and miss on fadas as well.

Ok, but I was only talking about Niamh. It's a minor point, but regional accents really aren't relevant to what I was saying. In a neev area the woman wants to be known as knave. She is originally from a Gaeltacht area, and It is important to her, even though probably 99% of the time she gets called neev. But her friends all call her knave.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

My sister has a niece called Caoimhe. Her parents lived in Ireland briefly and met someone with the name and loved it she is now 18 and the name is more common here but it wasn't when she was born. My sister and her boyfriend also chose irish names and spellings for their children, they have a Séagh (Shay) and a Fionn(Finn) the actual long version of Séagh is Séaghdha but decided on the shorter version after my dad joked that it would be mispronounced as Sadie by people. Fionn can be pronounced a few different ways in Ireland as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:19 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I doubt Joy knows her much since she’s gay. 

I bet you're right but I wish we had confirmation. They "love Amy despite her life choices," but she doesn't do anything they consider against God as far as we know. 

Wasn't she on an episode of CA??

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Kak said:

9 hours ago, Kak said:

Ok, but I was only talking about Niamh. It's a minor point, but regional accents really aren't relevant to what I was saying. In a neev area the woman wants to be known as knave. She is originally from a Gaeltacht area, and It is important to her, even though probably 99% of the time she gets called neev. But her friends all call her knave.

They are talking about the pronunciation in "Irish, the language"? It's not regional accents causing pronunciation differences but the fact there are multiple linguistically distinguishable dialects of Irish (I just googled it and it's three, with many smaller variations). It's not a Irish vs English pronunciation issue, I don't think there is a difference in how fluent and non-fluent Irish speakers pronounce names -  the english spoken in Ireland is much more influenced by Irish than the English in many other countries is by native languages, eg. I'm from New Zealand and I don't think~ Maori influences our English very much beyond loan words/concepts, but in Ireland Irish sometimes influences english grammar to the point I've found Irish-English almost incomprehensible once or twice. . .  )

I think you're upset because you think they're implying that the pronunciation of your friends name should be changed to fit the region/accent, but I think it's more that names are just pronounced differently based on where someone's from - which sounds like what your friend is asking for. It's not that one version or another is correct, they're all valid variations of each other, which doesn't mean your friend isn't justified in asking people to pronounce her name properly instead of how they've heard it somewhere else. I think one of the most confusing examples of this kind of name variation is Padraig, which I definitely thought was at least two separate names for a moment.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

They are talking about the pronunciation in "Irish, the language"? It's not regional accents causing pronunciation differences but the fact there are multiple linguistically distinguishable dialects of Irish (I just googled it and it's three, with many smaller variations). It's not a Irish vs English pronunciation issue, I don't think there is a difference in how fluent and non-fluent Irish speakers pronounce names -  the english spoken in Ireland is much more influenced by Irish than the English in many other countries is by native languages, eg. I'm from New Zealand and I don't think~ Maori influences our English very much beyond loan words/concepts, but in Ireland Irish sometimes influences english grammar to the point I've found Irish-English almost incomprehensible once or twice. . .  )

I think you're upset because you think they're implying that the pronunciation of your friends name should be changed to fit the region/accent, but I think it's more that names are just pronounced differently based on where someone's from - which sounds like what your friend is asking for. It's not that one version or another is correct, they're all valid variations of each other, which doesn't mean your friend isn't justified in asking people to pronounce her name properly instead of how they've heard it somewhere else. I think one of the most confusing examples of this kind of name variation is Padraig, which I definitely thought was at least two separate names for a moment.

THis sounds right. I know several native Irish speaking (gaeilgeoirí) in Ireland and like every language Irish has dialects and accents.

The problem with trying to write things out phonetically in English, is that English is a very unphonetical language. There are thousands of ways to make the sounds in spelling and one spelling can make lots of different sounds. On top of that there are different accents.

Knave sounds nothing like any pronounciation of Niamh I have ever heard, but it might in any number of accents in English.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Please don't patronise me. Please don't tell me what I'm thinking and what's upsetting me. 

You're presumably in New Zealand, I'm in Ireland. The region (singular) I'm talking about is the one I live in. 

But I already know I'm flogging a dead horse here, so I'll move myself along.

• Downvote 2
  • WTF 5

10 hours ago, Kak said:

Please don't patronise me. Please don't tell me what I'm thinking and what's upsetting me. 

You're presumably in New Zealand, I'm in Ireland. The region (singular) I'm talking about is the one I live in. 

But I already know I'm flogging a dead horse here, so I'll move myself along.

@Kak- I'd misunderstood your original post. It must be difficult for your friend not to have her name pronounced in her preferred way. I know her pain! I didn't mean to be patronising in my post and I hope it didn't come across that way. Tá brón orm.

• Upvote 2

Don't believe we think of the Munck family as fundie any more, so feel free to ignore this post.  I still try to follow them wherever I can on social media.  Anyway, Rebekah Munck Prytherch has been married for 3 years now and just announced her first pregnancy.  Baby is due March 2021.  She was the first of her sisters to marry wearing a strapless wedding gown.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

@Kak- I'd misunderstood your original post. It must be difficult for your friend not to have her name pronounced in her preferred way. I know her pain! I didn't mean to be patronising in my post and I hope it didn't come across that way. Tá brón orm.

Oh don't worry. I know you weren't, but I appreciate your kindness.

My surname is often mispronounced too ?

• Upvote 1

Clara NolKamper finally announced her pregnancy on her Instagram. Everyone already knew since she constantly hinted at it. I bet she is far along. She didn’t say her due date but I bet she’s at least half way through or more.  

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

Finally! It was worst the wait for her to announce than anything else really. It was obvious from months she was pregnant again. Now at least in public 

Eta I have gone to see how she announced and I like the idea is not bad, but the #? HouseOfArrows? Seriously? Is she Quiverfull or just pregnancy addicted? I don't remember but I think she is not iblp or has specifically said where she worships? 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Finally! It was worst the wait for her to announce than anything else really. It was obvious from months she was pregnant again. Now at least in public 

Eta I have gone to see how she announced and I like the idea is not bad, but the #? HouseOfArrows? Seriously? Is she Quiverfull or just pregnancy addicted? I don't remember but I think she is not iblp or has specifically said where she worships? 

I read an article or blog post or something once. She's definitely quiverful inspired if not a believer. But not iblp that I've seen. She seems like she's sort of on her own fundie - not like they joined the cult fundie. 

• Thank You 2

Ali and John-Everett Kendall welcomed Walker Burke on August 29th. Fits the syllable pattern, but first name without a long A or even any long vowel.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Clara NolKamper finally announced her pregnancy on her Instagram. Everyone already knew since she constantly hinted at it. I bet she is far along. She didn’t say her due date but I bet she’s at least half way through or more.  

She's definitely a minimum of 4 months along. I'd guess closer to 5. She'll post a miniature bump pic that she took in May sometime in September, and pretend that it's recent. She'll do the same in November with an August pic. Then, she'll deliver and post a pic of her stomach from 2011 and humblebrag about how "tiny" she is "naturally". 

I also choose to believe that she saw my #lovinmydozen prediction, and intentionally went with #adozentolove just to be contrary. Damn you, Clara, mine was better and you know it. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

I will go check but I could swear it was still up at least a couple of days ago. She posted an update for the current pregnancy, and a couple of photos not just stories 

Eta is still there, maybe it has gone private? I don't know how to check it tough Screenshot_20200831-100119_Instagram.thumb.jpg.e6ecb2ba4241779d2ec7d4f808396fe9.jpg

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 1

Still can't find it. Not via instagram itself nor via google. Did she maybe block me? I was never blocked by a fundie cause I don't interact with them on SM. 
Thank you anyway, @Italiangirl ?

• Upvote 1

A lot of fundies seem to have either dropped off instagram or gone private recently. I'm not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with the Qanon conspiracy theories about child abduction/abuse that many of these fundie women were posting or commenting about lately. Maybe that explains Courtney and her instagram

• Upvote 5

I think someone got blocked. Feel special ;) it happens to everyone at some point. TAM blocked me years ago when I tried to let one of her commenters know they were wrong about something. Evencorrecting someone politely got me blocked. Snowflakes.

• Upvote 5

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic