IGNORED

Every Sperm is Sacred: Upcoming Babies 17

Bethella

39 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Dakota Paine gave birth to Corbin North yesterday (Jul 31st)

Her first two children are 14 months and 9 days apart. Her second and third child are 14 months and 10 days apart. Who wants to bet their next kid will be born 14 months and 11 days after this one? So October 2021?

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 11

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Her first two children are 14 months and 9 days apart. Her second and third child are 14 months and 10 days apart. Who wants to bet their next kid will be born 14 months and 11 days after this one? So October 2021?

Three in three years cured me of baby fever for almost a decade. The third is exponentially harder than the second. Hopefully she at least looks into NFP to try to lengthen the gaps.

• Upvote 11

13 minutes ago, lilith said:

Three in three years cured me of baby fever for almost a decade. The third is exponentially harder than the second. Hopefully she at least looks into NFP to try to lengthen the gaps.

They had no kids for years before this baby boom. It’s puzzling. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They had no kids for years before this baby boom. It’s puzzling. 

She posted something sympathetic on Michael Keilen's blog, to the tune of "if you ever need anything, feel free to talk to me." I think it's safe to say they had some infertility before this current slew of kids. 

• Upvote 12

31 minutes ago, albireo said:

She posted something sympathetic on Michael Keilen's blog, to the tune of "if you ever need anything, feel free to talk to me." I think it's safe to say they had some infertility before this current slew of kids. 

Which is just as puzzling since people who deal with infertility don’t naturally become super fertile. Since fundies don’t seem to be into fertility treatments, it’s puzzling to me. I’ve known women with crazy irregular cycles due to PCOS or other issues and once their cycle is regulated and they go on clomid, they are crazy fertile and always get pregnant the first cycle. But I’ve never heard of someone dealing with infertility for years and then naturally becoming more fertile than average. There are couples like Nathan and Melanie Maxwell who dealt with infertility for years at the beginning of their marriage but then were able to have children. But they were never super fertile. All their kids were spaced out much more than 14 months. 

I am thinking they must have consulted a doctor and possibly got help but that’s just speculation. 

ETA: I’m no expert but I’ve read about infertility so much that it just seems an unusual situation. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Which is just as puzzling since people who deal with infertility don’t naturally become super fertile. Since fundies don’t seem to be into fertility treatments, it’s puzzling to me. I’ve known women with crazy irregular cycles due to PCOS or other issues and once their cycle is regulated and they go on clomid, they are crazy fertile and always get pregnant the first cycle. But I’ve never heard of someone dealing with infertility for years and then naturally becoming more fertile than average. There are couples like Nathan and Melanie Maxwell who dealt with infertility for years at the beginning of their marriage but then were able to have children. But they were never super fertile. All their kids were spaced out much more than 14 months. 

I am thinking they must have consulted a doctor and possibly got help but that’s just speculation. 

I have known a few couples who conceived naturally within a year of having an IVF baby. I don’t know why, but it does happen. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Just now, lilith said:

I have known a few couples who conceived naturally within a year of having an IVF baby. I don’t know why, but it does happen. 

I understand that. I’ve gone through infertility and know so many people who have gone through it as well. It’s just an unusual situation. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

ETA: I’m no expert but I’ve read about infertility so much that it just seems an unusual situation. 

My ex-boyfriend's parents wanted a big family. They got him in their 20's but it took 14 years before she got pregnant again. And 6 months after their second child was born, she got pregnant with twins! I babysat the younger children and that's how I and the oldedst son met. Their mother told absolutely too much about their infertility to 16- years old me. The parents never did any treatments but after twins they started birth control at the first time in their marriage.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Rachel (Wissmann) Busenitz and her husband also dealt with infertility for the first years of their marriage and now have three kids. Although they have bigger gaps between their children. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

Rachel (Wissmann) Busenitz and her husband also dealt with infertility for the first years of their marriage and now have three kids. Although they have bigger gaps between their children. 

Yes, and she’s had a miscarriage in there as well. Sometimes that’s the issue. That they can get pregnant but not sustain the pregnancy. It’s another reason that makes me think they went to a doctor and maybe got some issue corrected or help with it.

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, lilith said:

My cousin got pregnant 4 months after adopting her daughter , after years of failed IVF . 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, hasunah said:

My cousin got pregnant 4 months after adopting her daughter , after years of failed IVF . 

I swear everyone knows someone like this. It’s then followed with the dreaded, “so just relax and it will happen!” 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, hasunah said:

Something like this happened to my chorus teacher & his wife. They adopted their son in June of 1994 and they had their daughter in October of 1995. Then they had a surprised child in July of 2005. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

swear everyone knows someone like this. It’s then followed with the dreaded, “so just relax and it will happen!” 

It’s like everyone knows someone who knows someone who adopted and then had biological children.

Or, similar to what @Jana814 said.(My junior/senior English teacher and her husband adopted two children, then had two bio kids.)

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

It’s like everyone knows someone who knows someone who adopted and then had biological children.

I'm a biological child born after two adoptions.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Or, similar to what @Jana814 said.(My junior/senior English teacher and her husband adopted two children, then had two bio kids.)

It’s funny because no one mentions the people who adopted and never had bio kids after that due to infertility. But there are plenty of people out there like that. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s funny because no one mentions the people who adopted and never had bio kids after that due to infertility. But there are plenty of people out there like that. 

Exactly. While I know a few ‘miracle’ cases where someone got pregnant after adopting or after trying IVF for years to have their first and then spontaneously getting pregnant with their 2nd, I know more couples that adopted and never had bio kids despite not using birth control. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

My very dear friend suffered with infertility for years, tried IVF, had horrific reaction to the drugs and so adopted her two children. They are now 13 and 14. She hasnt had any bio children, even tho she was told...ooo you'll fall pregnant now! She hasnt and wont as shes just turned 50 and her 2 have intense learning difficulties.

• Upvote 4

People like underdog stories, surprises, and "proving doctors wrong" (said with regard to the world as it was before a shitload of people decided to politicize basic sanitary and health recommendations during a global pandemic). So a story about someone who thought they'd never conceive, being surprised by a pregnancy that happened after medical intervention failed, is a recipe for the warm fuzzies.

I know several people who adopted and then unexpectedly conceived, one who became pregnant in her 40s after fostering a newborn for 7 months, and one who discovered she was pregnant the month after she'd officially eliminated every possible medical option to have a biological child, and had declared that she was giving up. And, I've spoken of her here before, but I have a great-aunt who was unable to conceive for the entirety of her marriage, and who finally gave up and decided to spend the "baby money" on an extended round-the-world trip with her husband. (This was in the late 1960s)  She came back a year later, went to the doctor for back pain, and discovered that she was over 7 months pregnant. She gave birth less than a month later, at the age of 49. She carried her daughter around on a pillow for the first two years of her life. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Spontaneous pregnancy following successful/unsuccessful assisted reproduction does happen and happens just often enough that people think it is more common than it is. One study put the rates about 17% after successful assisted reproduction and 24% after successful sponanteous pregnancy following unsuccessful assisted reproduction. The rates are higher for younger women with no identifiable cause for infertility (as you'd kind of expect). Anecdotally, one OB I worked with said it was almost as if one pregnancy sort of "rebooted" a woman's system so make a second pregnancy more likely but I'm not sure anyone has figured out the exact reasons.

TL:DR pregnancy following a period of infertility does happen and while it is not routine, neither is it rare.

Edited by browngrl
fixed some grammar/spelling
  • Upvote 15

27 minutes ago, browngrl said:

The rates are higher for younger women with no identifiable cause for infertility (as you'd kind of expect). Anecdotally, one OB I worked with said it was almost as if one pregnancy sort of "rebooted" a woman's system so make a second pregnancy more likely but I'm not sure anyone has figured out the exact reasons.

You just described me. I was able to get pregnant on my own after needing help with my first. And yes, I had unexplained infertility.  I was a part of a very large online community with women dealing with infertility. When you see it first hand, you know that it’s not common for a person to deal with infertility for years and then suddenly they have 3 successful pregnancies in 28 months. Going from clinically infertile to suddenly very fertile without any assistance is almost unheard of.

• Upvote 10

I can add two stories - not friends of friends, but both cousins. And not helpful at all but showing how extremely different people are. 

One cousin had one baby at 17 and when she got married in her mid 20's - to someone who is not her son's father - they tried & tried & tried and didn't get pregnant. Years of treatments and IVF. Really thought it was "him" since she had a baby already, but they never got any definitive answer. Finally decided it wasn't going to happen. They chose not to adopt. When her son was 19, guess who "fell pregnant"? 

Another cousin (other side of the family) tried for over a decade to conceive and never did. They, too, did the IVF & treatment route with no success. And, totally unexplained. They adopted 3 siblings through foster care & lived happily ever after. She's in her 50's now and never going to get pregnant.

The human body is as much a mystery as it is something we know about. Sometimes, as in all other areas of life, there just aren't any answers or reasons. It just...is. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

it’s not common for a person to deal with infertility for years and then suddenly they have 3 successful pregnancies in 28 months. Going from clinically infertile to suddenly very fertile without any assistance is almost unheard of.

I agree almost unheard of. I once worked with someone who had 3 kids in 33 months.  He & his wife tried for a few years to have kids. They couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Then 3 kids very quickly all single births. 

• Upvote 5

I have two stories to add to the general discussion. (I've heard plenty more from an online community I was/am a part of, but these two I know of firsthand.)

One couple tried for years to have kids, finally adopted a relative of mine, then went on to have three biological children.

The other couple tried for years, even doing some treatments before finally adopting two children. The couple is now pregnant but the child is not the couple's biological child but rather the result of embryo adoption.

• Upvote 6

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic