IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith 6: Now with Kade, Kolter, and Charlotte

GreyhoundFan

On 8/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, postscript said:

Am I the only person who actually likes the name Holland? I actually don’t dislike Erin’s naming style, with the exception of Everly, which is too trendy for my taste.

On the other hand, I intensely dislike both Zoey and Hazel, and I’m not fond of the name Layla, either. Hazel falls under the category of names I associate with my grandparents’ generation. I have no reason for Zoe(y) or Layla other than they just don’t appeal to me, 

Of the others, I wouldn’t mind Kaci and Maci if they were spelled Casey and Macey, nor would Allie and Lexi bother me if they were nicknames for Alison and Alexa/Alexandra/Alexis. However, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to dislike any names the Bateses pick. 

And now I’m envisioning a challenge - rename the Bates grandkids keeping to the same general styles but less cringe-inducing actual names. 

I love Holland! I also like Finley and Carson. They all fall under the androgynous surname category, which is definitely my naming style. I know someone with a little boy named Hollis and I love that too. Erin actually wins the Bates family baby namer prize from me. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

G-2 Bates and Duggar names I like:

BOYS: Michael, Samuel, Henry, Grey, Mason, Truett

GIRLS: Grace, Charlotte, Ivy

WISHLIST NAMES FOR JD/ A’s son: John, Robert , David

Edited by SassyPants
  • Bless Your Heart 1

12 hours ago, Johannah said:

I love Holland! I also like Finley and Carson. They all fall under the androgynous surname category, which is definitely my naming style. I know someone with a little boy named Hollis and I love that too. Erin actually wins the Bates family baby namer prize from me. 

I don't like Finley with this family in particular since it translates to "Fair/White Warrior" or "Fair/White Hero" and just knowing the Bates' love of the confederacy...ugh. I'm guessing they probably didn't think too deeply about the names, though, in this case...

As an aside, I'm waiting for someone in this family to name a kid/kids some combo of Nathan, Bedford, and Forrest and then pretend they had no idea that an early founder of the KKK was named that, they just thought he was a military hero!  (Fun fact: When I was a kid there was a tv show called I'll Fly Away, and the main character was named Forrest Bedford and his son was named Nathan, but, it was done somewhat ironically because the main character was pro-civil-rights during the 50s/60s

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

I don't like Finley with this family in particular since it translates to "Fair/White Warrior" or "Fair/White Hero" and just knowing the Bates' love of the confederacy...ugh. I'm guessing they probably didn't think too deeply about the names, though, in this case...

As an aside, I'm waiting for someone in this family to name a kid/kids some combo of Nathan, Bedford, and Forrest and then pretend they had no idea that an early founder of the KKK was named that, they just thought he was a military hero!  (Fun fact: When I was a kid there was a tv show called I'll Fly Away, and the main character was named Forrest Bedford and his son was named Nathan, but, it was done somewhat ironically because the main character was pro-civil-rights during the 50s/60s

Well The convict and Anna did name #7 Madyson, so just about nothing would surprise me with these people!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

49 minutes ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

I don't think Nathan is popular enough with his siblings for anyone other than him to use the name Nathan as a baby name. I could see Josie using Forrest. Bedford would fit Erin's names lol. I mean the Bates are definitely racist enough to do the combo but I think only a few actually would. 

Tori has shared stories of both Taryn and Lydia doing a newborn sessions for Finley, so I guess there are some advantages to a big family/being in a cult. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Tori has shared stories of both Taryn and Lydia doing a newborn sessions for Finley, so I guess there are some advantages to a big family/being in a cult. 

I think you mean Tori’s new baby, Cambree.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I hope JD and Abby give their son a name that is not from the family, at least a first name that is not a family name. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I hope JD and Abby give their son a name that is not from the family, at least a first name that is not a family name. 

JMO, and I’m sure others might disagree, but I’d rather them use a family name than some made up or youneeckly spelled drivel. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

JMO, and I’m sure others might disagree, but I’d rather them use a family name than some made up or youneeckly spelled drivel. 

This attitude is elitist imo. 

Part of our current naming traditions come from using family surnames as names. Names like Finley, or Everly were family names made into first names and this is deeply traditional in the south. 

There are a bunch of Johns in Abby's family.  David has been used as a middle names for several Duggar grands. The name "Robert' seems to have started with JB, a man who deprived his children of a real education and looked the other way when his oldest son committed various crimes.

Families like the Duggars tend to have so many people it would be deeply confusing if everyone had the same name. Using family names tends to work better in small families. 

I also think it's nice for kids to have their own identity and not in the shadow of relatives, which can happen with only family names. It fits the fundie narrative for kids to not really have their own identities.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I definitely think they will. John is used on both sides of the family. So it seems like a must. I will be surprised if it isn’t used at all. Plus it’s biblical. Grace Annette is named after Michelle (her middle name). So they seem to like using family names. My guess is a biblical first name and John as a middle name. Isaac John, Ethan John, or Benjamin John. Something like that. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Angelface said:

I think you mean Tori’s new baby, Cambree.

Yes, Cambree. there are too many babies. 

• Upvote 3

The Bates siblings will have had 4 babies this year and already one in the works for next year (and we all know Tori will pop out #5). 

• Upvote 3

I did the math and the Bates have a grandkid born every year since 2014. 2014 and 2017 are the only years they've only had one grandchild born and the most in a year has been 4, which has happened twice: 2021 (Alyssa, Josie, Whitney and Tori) and 2022 (Erin, Carlin, Tori and Esther) but 2023 could break that number with Katie pregnant and Lawson and Trace newly/about to be married and Tori being Tori if any of the others have a baby. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:28 PM, CanadianMamam said:

there are too many babies.

Next you'll be saying there are too many flowers.

• Haha 28

12 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Impossible!!!!

412CAF36-C148-4FBD-B5F8-1111488075AC.jpeg

• WTF 1
  • Haha 16

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I think of this quote every time I prune my garden. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Love: Charlotte, Zoey, Kenna, 

Positive: Willow, Lexie, Layla, Brooklyn, Everly, 

Neutral: Bradley, Khloe, Allie, Carson

Negative: Kolter, Hazel, Maci, Kaci, Jadon

Dislike: Kade, Cambree, Zade, Holland, Finley

Who is Kenna?

15 minutes ago, TatertotAsserole said:

Who is Kenna?

Nathan and Esther's unborn sprog. I think she's due in October.

Love: Willow, Layla

Positive: Zoey, Khloe, Brooklyn

Neutral: Charlotte, Bradley, Carson, Kasi, Jadon, Holland, 

Negative: Lexie, Maci, Kade, Allie

Dislike: Kenna, Kolter, Everly, Hazel, Cambree, Zade, Finley

Needless to say I prefer the more traditional spellings of the names, and I agree with others about Allie and Lexi, I would feel more positive about the name if it was short version of a longer name.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, SassyPants said:

Whose baby is Grey?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just not a fan of the middle name Grey/Gray unless it’s a family name. It’s such a drab color. There are color names I get. Because the color is beautiful. Like Violet, Scarlet, Sage, or Jade. But gray? Nah. If you want a middle name that sound like gray, you could just go with Colter Ray or Colter Jay. Gray just sounds blah. Almost like Colder Gray. Which sound very cold and sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I like it, but then there are greys I think are really beautiful. Hide and Seek Fog

I'm about to get a new grandkid named...probably...Grey. At first it was to be Adrian, and we were all super on board with that. Then it changed to Grey and we were all, oh, hey, good for you... But here is the kicker, privateish forum. The middle name is supposed to be Fox. And while Adrian Fox seemed sort of cool to the crowd, none of us is keen on Grey Fox, but of course we're not jerks so we'll just continue on as the parents like. Well, the other grandma says she'll only call the kid Fox if they persist with Grey, but I think she doesn't really mean it; she is just trying to slide in an opinion.

I am glad my son's only half-joking desire to name the child Naruto has been firmly defeated, and so if it does come out a Grey Fox, well, at least it goes pretty well with our last name. They are 26 and 24 and super nerdy, so we should probably all be glad they haven't chosen a Pokémon name. 

I do loathe the name Colter, so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic