IGNORED

Tori and Bobby Smith 6: Now with Kade, Kolter, and Charlotte

GreyhoundFan

Doesn't Carlin have the same clotting disorder as Erin? Maybe this has something to do with her spacing? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Doesn't Carlin have the same clotting disorder as Erin? Maybe this has something to do with her spacing? 

She does and Layla's hear condition was due to being premature, so that might have scared her and made her more cautious.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

She does and Layla's hear condition was due to being premature, so that might have scared her and made her more cautious.

I don't see evidence they've been "more cautious". I think people are giving her too much credit.

• Upvote 6

On 7/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, browngrl said:

I think some fundies have fertility issues but I think more fundies have hypocrisy issues.

There's also different "brands" of fundies. I belonged to a version who was fine birth control (not anything that allowed fertilization but prevented further development) but believed that a couples should not touch before marriage. I suspect the Clarks may be more that brand than IBLP brand.

• Upvote 7

How do you expect a marriage to last when the couples can’t be trusted? I don’t care how they try and spin it it all comes down to trust. If you believe you raised your kids right, and they say they believe in your rules, but you still won’t let them be alone or touch their significant other then you don’t trust them. Meaning you failed as a parent. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I always thought it was not so much of not trusting the couple but accountability so others couldn’t accuse them of wrong behavior.

Just like Billy Graham would not be alone in a room with a woman other than his wife.  Not because he didn’t trust himself to do that but no one could accuse him of it if he never put himself in that situation. 

Edited by Sheltie
Edit
  • Upvote 10

8 hours ago, Sheltie said:

I always thought it was not so much of not trusting the couple but accountability so others couldn’t accuse them of wrong behavior.

Just like Billy Graham would not be alone in a room with a woman other than his wife.  Not because he didn’t trust himself to do that but no one could accuse him of it if he never put himself in that situation. 

Yes, avoiding the appearance of evil. Sure, you could even live together without having sex but people would assume you were so you have to go as far as possible the other direction.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Sheltie said:

Yep. I have a friend who is part of a fundamentalist Christan religion and I remember years ago when her roommate was engaged, she would often call me to chat in the evenings as she sat in the hallway because her roommate and her fiance would be in the room area room talking and needed my friend to chaperone for propriety sale. So my friend would sit just out of earshot but within view of the open door. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2

I grew up with a close friend who I believe was IBLP, definitely fundie, and he wasn’t even allowed to go see a movie in a theater because if someone saw him there, they might assume he had seen the R or PG-13 rated movie. His family was allowed to watch G and maybe PG movies at home. I can’t imagine being so careful about the illusion of impropriety about things that don’t even matter. 

• Upvote 14

On 7/19/2021 at 10:12 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Yep. I have a friend who is part of a fundamentalist Christan religion and I remember years ago when her roommate was engaged, she would often call me to chat in the evenings as she sat in the hallway because her roommate and her fiance would be in the room area room talking and needed my friend to chaperone for propriety sale. So my friend would sit just out of earshot but within view of the open door. 

Just cuz I'm in the mess with fundies mood. My mom always said you can accomplish anything you want before 9pm that you would after 9pm. That's why I never had a curfew. I knew that at 16 I probably shouldn't be out after 2am but if my parents knew which friends house I was at and had my phone on at all times it wasn't a problem. But I was a teenager in the late 1990's so we weren't hanging out in restaurants. We were at friends houses.

Also, after numerous vacations with my friends, you can def do fun stuff when the door is slightly ajar and just out of ear shot from people. Actually, you can do fun stuff even with your friends around. Especially if you look innocent enough. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Just cuz I'm in the mess with fundies mood. My mom always said you can accomplish anything you want before 9pm that you would after 9pm. That's why I never had a curfew. I knew that at 16 I probably shouldn't be out after 2am but if my parents knew which friends house I was at and had my phone on at all times it wasn't a problem. But I was a teenager in the late 1990's so we weren't hanging out in restaurants. We were at friends houses.

Also, after numerous vacations with my friends, you can def do fun stuff when the door is slightly ajar and just out of ear shot from people. Actually, you can do fun stuff even with your friends around. Especially if you look innocent enough. 

I agree wholeheartedly with this. A well added blanket and an innocent expression during a group movie night can conceal a lot. 

• Upvote 5

On 7/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Sheltie said:

Former Vice President Mike Pence and a few other rabidly fundy politicians have a similar rule.  Unwillingness to be alone in a room with a woman is also a terrific way to keep working women "in their place". Female staff will never be allowed into certain meetings or go to certain social events--and therefore can only advance so far. Basically, its a great way to keep the womenfolk out of "the room where it happens."

PS A couple years ago many female Members of Congress were polled about this, and none of them had a similar rule.

Its not about Jesus, its about controlling women.

• Upvote 20
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, Lgirlrocks said:

How do you expect a marriage to last when the couples can’t be trusted? I don’t care how they try and spin it it all comes down to trust. If you believe you raised your kids right, and they say they believe in your rules, but you still won’t let them be alone or touch their significant other then you don’t trust them. Meaning you failed as a parent. 

Because they put the (literal) fear of god in these kids that divorce is a sin, women should submit to their husbands, and marriage is for life. I am sure there are quite a few unhappily married fundies who won’t consider divorce. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/29/2021 at 9:03 AM, OyToTheVey said:

I like that saying. That sounds like something I would say. I've always been a night owl. My parents and brother are both early risers and getting things done early. I always did my chores late. When I lived in my condo I often cleaned and baked during the night. I've gone grocery shopping at eight pm. Same with writing. I can get so much more done during the night then during the day time. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I like that saying. That sounds like something I would say. I've always been a night owl. My parents and brother are both early risers and getting things done early. I always did my chores late. When I lived in my condo I often cleaned and baked during the night. I've gone grocery shopping at eight pm. Same with writing. I can get so much more done during the night then during the day time. 

Me too. I am so sleepy right now (2:00 pm where I am) and have always hit a wall every afternoon since I was a kid. But 10:00 pm? I have crazy energy. It has really messed with me and insomnia over the years. I would have to try to sleep during my most awake time. Now I'm retired and I can stay up later and sleep in a bit, it's not as bad. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2