• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
AmericanRose

Mrs. Midwest 3: Feminine Racism

Hane
Posted (edited)

@Marmion, I saw that painting at the Norman Rockwell museum. It originally was on a cover of “Saturday Evening Post,” and it caused a furor: Racists wrote in cancelling their subscriptions. Copies of the letters are on display in the exhibit.

Edited by Hane

nokidsmom
On 5/25/2020 at 6:23 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would never tell anyone to just wait around for some guy to fall into their lap. Do we just wait around for a great job to fall into our laps? No! Then why would we wait for some guy to do the same? We need to be proactive in our lives and go after what we want. 

With my first boyfriend, I made the first move.  Actually quite on the spot, I noticed him at a dance and decided to ask him.   He stuck around for the remainder of the dance and for some time after.

With Mr. No, we met during a meeting but he left me his business card telling me to call him about some project he was working on.   I didn't get around to calling for 3 weeks because of my work schedule and he had no way of contacting me.  When I finally called, the first thing he asked was if I wanted to go dinner and then it was "well, how are you,?" 

Marmion
On 5/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, AmericanRose said:

So I took a stroll through MM's Twitter. It was... not a treat.
The thing that really confuses me, however, is that amongst the questionable accounts she follows, she also follows:
Feminism is Fabulous
Everyday Feminism
+ I would think she would be getting material for her anti-feminist diatribes by following these accounts, but there's nothing about self-care, being fabulous just for being a woman, or even anything radical (abolish men! make the nuclear family illegal!) on their feeds.
Elizabeth Warren
Malala
Michelle Obama
Ilhan Omar
Rashida Tlaib
Oprah
AOC
+ I'm going to assume she follows these women to "keep an eye on the enemy"? Or is it possible she... admires them? I can't figure MM out.

And then of course, there were the stuff I wasn't surprised to find.

Hide contents

Eric and Leslie Ludy, setapartgirl.com, Set Apart Motherhood
"Set Apart Girl exists for the sole purpose of pointing women to Jesus Christ. We believe that a woman can only find true beauty, true fulfillment, and true purpose when she surrenders her life to the one true King. To Return to Christ-Centered Femininity"
+ For the price of $97 (yourself only) you can take the Marriage and Motherhood Course! It includes: 8 30 minute video lessons with Leslie, a downloadable study guide, a 50% off coupon for the annual retreat in Colorado, a 40% off coupon for the book, and unlimited lifetime access to all sessions and course materials!

Wife, mother, #Christian #nationalist #Burkean #Tradlife #traditionalist

Radical Catholic

Abby Johnson

"Truthstream Media"

The Transformed Wife

Scientific Feminism, "Women´s and men´s rights. Sex differences. Skepticism. Critical feminism.Managed by Roxana Kreimer, PhD"

"Discovering how to build intentional families that last a thousand years ("Dynasties"). Pro-Natalism Maximalist."

"let Him lead / traditional gender roles / femininity"

"What will resurrect the west is militant, Spanish-style Catholicism . The answer to 1984 is 1492/Saints Columba,Brigid,Patrick Pray for Ireland"

Ann Coulter

"Conservative, Trumpublican, Wife, mother and Child of the Most High God. Retweeted By President Trump 🙌🏽"
+ I've seen her around Twitter, and apparently she's real? Ugh.

Laura Ingraham

EnteringManhood.com

Jack Murphy, the founder of Liminal Order
"The Liminal Order is a group of men who believe in the power of strong male leadership and we accept the responsibility of leading our families, our communities, and our Nation. Without strong men becoming strong fathers and strong leaders, our Nation’s future is in doubt."

I thought she was a Calvinist, but she likes a lot of Catholic stuff.

While I don't expect that she'd ever identify herself with the term feminist , I just today , coincidentally enough , in my studies of the history of the time period , have learned that a number of Nazi , and fascist women , back in the day , supported women's suffrage .  So , if any of you want to go down that rabbit hole , here are some copies of some essays they wrote , strictly for the purpose of educational research into their state of mind , and also insight into the possible mindset of Mrs. Midwest , as well .  https://arplan.org/category/topics/feminism/  

AmericanRose
Posted (edited)

Time for another 'old' video!
I just realised she did the video with Yogi back in January 2019, which was shortly before or after she began her YT channel. Interesting.

5 Ways to Be Femininely Charming Today!
She talks about Harry Potter and feels there are positive and negative connotations of the word 'charm'. "Turning on the charm" vs. "charming young woman" as an elderly woman would say.

Today we're going to learn how to charm in a non-manipulative way. I'm excited!

Spoiler

1. Have a friendly spirit. You must project an openness and willingness to converse with the people around you. Remember that friendliness shouldn't be reserved for strangers.
2. Be genuine. Adhere to your natural personality, but don't be overly smiley or toss out fake compliments. Self-deprecating humour is her go-to for being genuine and charming. Show that honest side of you that's not a perfect little charming Barbie.
3. Be courteous. Be aware of other people and focus on their needs as well as your own. If you've agreed to do something, follow through; hold the door for others, make sure everyone has a seat at the table.
4. Be relaxed. This just means you're self-assured, confident and peaceful.
5. Be well-groomed. We can't ignore that outer grooming does affect your level of charm. So long as you're showcasing your personal beauty in its best light, that will be charming and captivating. As she's said before, there's a push in modern society for people to present as their worst, to prove people can love them at their worst. She understands that, but says we shouldn't resort to looking like that every day. Clean hair, clean clothes, and a good-smelling person will always be more charming than a greasy bun and stained yoga pants. You just need to be confident in your look, and polished. Make sure you're clean and smell good.

So, I don't disagree with any of this. Well, except for the self-deprecating humour - I always feel awkward when someone bad-mouths themselves, possibly because I know when I used to do it, it was coming from a place of low self-esteem.

But why is this feminine? If anyone, male or female, comes at me with crossed arms, fake smiles, ignores me 9 times out of 10, gives me a tense vibe, and smells bad... yeah, I'm not going to find them charming. Maybe 'charm' isn't considered 'masculine', but it still applies to men IMO.

Also, where is Caitlin meeting all these bad-smelling, unshowered women? Particularly those who go ungroomed to prove a point? I haven't met one yet, and I've been about a fair bit!

On 5/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, Marmion said:

While I don't expect that she'd ever identify herself with the term feminist , I just today , coincidentally enough , in my studies of the history of the time period , have learned that a number of Nazi , and fascist women , back in the day , supported women's suffrage .  So , if any of you want to go down that rabbit hole , here are some copies of some essays they wrote , strictly for the purpose of educational research into their state of mind , and also insight into the possible mindset of Mrs. Midwest , as well .  https://arplan.org/category/topics/feminism/  

Oh yeah - she made it clear in one of her early videos that she's down with the 1st and 2nd waves of feminism (but hey, the vote and choices of how to live one's life are pretty good things to have). It's the 3rd wave she has her issues with. Apparently we're all ungroomed and want to abolish the nuclear family.

Edited by AmericanRose

CreatedToBeACritic

Guys, I'm calling it, she's pregnant. I kind of pieced it together.

So they were originally not counting on being able to stay in their house (I don't know why)  but they recently found out that they can stay there. She bought an enormously expensive rug (well to me) in dark colors to keep it looking presentable 'even with stains'. She's liking nurseries on Pinterest and now she's saying on insta that 'something has come up in her life. She's preggo, I'm sure. 04e4fdca295c6b975736f78ac1431e87f15692d6

Pleiades_06

I’m shocked she acknowledged George Floyd’s death as being horrific. 

8D56E554-D228-47DD-A261-9B89CD5A2E4A.png

JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Speculation: 

Now that she’s pregnant, she will no longer pander to her racist red pill crowd. She will focus more on family and motherhood.

quiversR4hunting

I wonder if her husband was/is stationed in downtown Grand Rapids. GR had a lot of damage Saturday night.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speculation: 

Now that she’s pregnant, she will no longer pander to her racist red pill crowd. She will focus more on family and motherhood.

Gosh I hope so! She needs to move far, far away from the red pill arena

AmericanRose

Mmm. I don't think she's pregnant - as much as she talks about wanting a family, I don't think she's entirely ready to become 'Midwest Mom'.

I don't check her Insta daily, but she seemed to have been posting regularly enough for her. I don't think, however, she had any intention of posting about the protests, but when she began getting messages about it (and apparently there was suspicion of 'malicious intent' in her silence, soooo) she had to say something about her 'silence'. And unlike some fundies, MM knows how to read a room.

As far as the RedPill stuff... mm, maybe, if things didn't go the way she wanted, she would back away. But if it's Husband who's the one that's into it, that's doubtful. And given the pics of her and her and Husband on those "european" accounts, I think she would really enjoy being used as some "tradwife goals" or whatever. She strikes me as pretty vain.

JermajestyDuggar

What I truly hope is that she’s not pregnant, she’s realized the red pill community and her husband are all a bunch of pathetic pieces of crap, and she’s leaving him. But really i just think she’s pregnant and now stuck with Husbland.

cartouche

"A few things have come up in my personal life" and "dealing with personal things" sound negatively-tinged, not at all how I'd describe being pregnant if my husband and I had been trying for a baby and were eager to start a family. Sounds more like family/health/financial issues to me.

I'm not surprised she spoke up about George Floyd after (I'm guessing) being called out for not saying anything. She seems like the type who wants to please everyone, from red pill creeps to more left-leaning female viewers.

mymelody
8 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

it's not just 'deaths in the black community', it's murder by white cops. He said 'I can't breathe' and the cop carried on. Is Tamir Rice just a death too? These cops get away with anything, if this was an ordinary citizen she would call it murder.

cartouche
1 hour ago, mymelody said:

it's not just 'deaths in the black community', it's murder by white cops. He said 'I can't breathe' and the cop carried on. Is Tamir Rice just a death too? These cops get away with anything, if this was an ordinary citizen she would call it murder.

Bingo. I think she worded it this way on purpose so as to get a pass from her black and ally viewers but not upset her red pill viewers too much. 🙄

Pleiades_06
5 hours ago, mymelody said:

Oh I agree that her wording evades white complicity and makes it look like a black problem. I’m just surprised she addressed it at all.

3 hours ago, cartouche said:

Bingo. I think she worded it this way on purpose so as to get a pass from her black and ally viewers but not upset her red pill viewers too much. 🙄

I’m wondering how many black and ally viewers she really has. I follow a lot of Instagram accounts for the Schadenfreude factor but just can’t with people like her because she’s tooooooo far right for me.

Giraffe
Posted (edited)

I’m doubtful her vague posting is a pregnancy announcement. Her husband’s a cop. I wouldn’t put it past her to post a Black Lives Matter post while privately whining that she’d get crucified if she whined about how difficult her husband’s job is and not being able to defend his police honor. 

Edited by Giraffe
Adding words

kaluce

My two cents on the pregnancy theory- they also have been redoing their basement. I’m not sure if they have another room upstairs but I imagine they’d need a room for baby plus a guest room for his family if they do have a baby. 

And yeah. I’m shocked she even made a statement even if it was the weakest fucking statement I’ve seen. Like I’m truly shocked. Her “friend” ClassicallyAbby hasn’t said ANYTHING and she’s in a city where a protestor was just murdered by a racist citizen. 

AmericanRose
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kaluce said:

My two cents on the pregnancy theory- they also have been redoing their basement. I’m not sure if they have another room upstairs but I imagine they’d need a room for baby plus a guest room for his family if they do have a baby. 

Per Zillow, it's already a 3 bed, 2 bath with a finished basement. Michiganders do love fiddling with their basements, tho.

Interesting. Per Zillow, it was sold in May 2017 (I assume to Husband). Listed for sale September 2019, price dropped October 2019, and removed from sale in January.

Edit: Basement had wood paneling. I completely under the renovation now.

Edited by AmericanRose

mymelody

The amount of white people taking social media breaks right now is ridiculous. It's amazing how they were able to synchronize their life struggles during the BLM protests lol

In reality they probably just don't want to post about it, maybe they will lose followers. Were those followers worth keeping in the first place though?

MrsTruth
Posted (edited)

It is obvious this is planned to avoid commenting the current events. She had an Instagram story about going on a country drive with her husband the day before the protests got big in Michigan and she deleted it and suddenly had personal issues.

Edited by MrsTruth

Stormy
9 hours ago, MrsTruth said:

It is obvious this is planned to avoid commenting the current events. She had an Instagram story about going on a country drive with her husband the day before the protests got big in Michigan and she deleted it and suddenly had personal issues.

At least she wasn't as cringey as an influencer named Aaryn Williams. For context, in 2013 she Aaryn (nee Gries) on the reality show Big Brother and was caught making multiple, consistent(!) racist comments during her time in the house and got a lot of backlash for it. (For those that watch, you know the written disclaimer that's shown before the start of each episode that states that housesguests' statements and opinions do not reflect that of CBS? She's the reason that's there.) Years later, she reinvented herself as a YouTube mommy vlogger and influencer and has avoided any mention of her past.

Fast-forward to this week, and, like many public figures, she received comments asking her what she thinks of the situation or requesting that she use her platform for awareness. Aaryn decided it would be a good idea to straight up block and delete people who did so, and, while she technically doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to, it was not a good look. (Also note that most of these are fans that are either unaware of her BB stint or have forgiven her for it!). Enough people got pissed enough to start dragging her on Twitter and posting her incriminating TV clips from years ago. She's since posted several Instagram stories about about how she knows she's "part of the problem" and that she's "always believed black lives matter" while wearing a white t-shirt and looking like she's about to cry. This specific thing is less interesting to me than the fact that she'd gone mostly unconfronted about her past during her whole time as an influencer until now; all her fans had to do to find out was a quick Google search. I think that says a lot.

AmericanRose
Posted (edited)

So while Caitlin "deals with personal issues" (also known as, "my husband is one of those racist cops people are protesting against, and though I agree that being European* is superior, I can't actually say that out loud, so... quiet time!") here is an old video!
Idle observation that she was posting regularly even the day before her 'announcement', but it's been silence on all fronts since. At least she commits.

How I Overcame Low Self-Esteem | The REAL Way to Build Confidence

Oh goodness, the intro is just so goofy.

Caitlin proclaims that her channel is welcoming to all women. Apparently someone asked her about self-esteem, and I don't understand why.
Edit: Well, if her channel is about reeling young women/girls in, then I guess I do understand why! I certainly was a mess about self-esteem until I was midway through my 20s, and Caitlin certainly seems like a poised, confident young woman.

Spoiler

The problem is that we're too focused on self-esteem. We've all heard our whole lives that self-esteem is the key to success, happiness, confidence, career goals, etc.
The problem with nurturing self-esteem is that it's too emotional / self-obsessed / introspective.
If you're constantly focused on yourself and rooting around for the 'problem areas', you're going to feel crappy. And that's why when you sit down and watch a YT video and someone says "girl, just accept yourself" you can't figure out why you can't do it. It's because you know yourself better than anyone, and when you look at yourself, you're going to see your flaws.
It's not wrong to dislike your flaws, but it is wrong to obsess over them.

It's natural to have low self-esteem when you're young.

The solution: stop esteeming yourself so much.
Taking a realistic view of yourself is hard to do, but it reveals a lot about your life.

1. It's easy to be jealous of what others have. The antidote is to be grateful for what you have.
Caitlin has always struggled with wanting what other people have. In Kindergarten she wanted to switch faces with a friend because she thought the friend was prettier.

Caitlin recommends writing down 5 things a day that you're grateful for. She hated it when she began, but now she could write pages.

2. If you want higher "self-esteem" (yes, she used air quotes with a bonus eye roll) don't focus on high self-esteem, focus on self-improvement.
Women have to nurture things in their life to build self-esteem. Our bodies, social life, our relationships, our home, our goals, our talents, our faith life, and our inner soul life. All that needs to be nurtured so we can feel like we're improving, and so we can feel confident.
Sometimes you feel crappy about yourself, because you're in a crappy state. Caitlin felt crappy when she was 15lbs heavier (she states she knows it was still healthy and she still looked fine and no one told her she didn't look good). But she felt slow and tired and for a long time she tried to accept that she was just that way. The only thing that made that go away was improving herself. Caitlin says she doesn't look the way she envisioned, and then shows us her perfectly fine leg and says she has 'her big calves'.
Earn your confidence through self-improvement.

3. Step away from that heightened emotional state. She feels she's a poster child for these issues. She lowered the amount of emotion she applied to her personal problems, and that is how she left that heightened emotional state.
Caitlin has been to counseling and recommends it.
We do a lot of this to ourselves because we're so emotional.

Caitlin didn't get anywhere until she stopped wallowing.

Focus on helping other people.

TLDR; Women focus too much on ourselves and are too emotional. At least she didn't mention feminists!

Given her intonations when she would say "self-esteem", I don't think Caitlin actually believes it's a thing. She seems to conflate it with self-improvement.

But to me, self-esteem is knowing when someone is treating you badly, and having the respect you need for yourself to get out of there.
It's having enough esteem for yourself to know what you're worth, instead of settling for whatever comes your way.

I have to admit I've also never heard of people fretting about their self-esteem.

* I find it hilarious when, in the States, people ask where you're from.
"Michigan."
"Right, but like, where did your ancestors come from?"
WHAT DOES IT MATTER?! They came from like, 6 different countries and I've only been to 1 of them (and I'm not going to start calling myself British). I don't know the culture, the traditions, nothing. I can study it, but that doesn't make me European. We put such an emphasis on this... it's ridiculous.

Edited by AmericanRose

JermajestyDuggar
21 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

* I find it hilarious when, in the States, people ask where you're from.
"Michigan."
"Right, but like, where did your ancestors come from?"
WHAT DOES IT MATTER?! They came from like, 6 different countries and I've only been to 1 of them (and I'm not going to start calling myself British). I don't know the culture, the traditions, nothing. I can study it, but that doesn't make me European. We put such an emphasis on this... it's ridiculous.

The latest any of my ancestors came to America was in the 1800’s. Those were my French and German ancestors. Most of my English ancestors came in the 1600s or 1700s. I have no connection to any European countries. I’ve never even been to Europe! I don’t have anything against England, Germany or France. But I feel zero connection and my family feels the same way. 

Seahorse Wrangler

The SeaFillies were disappointed that we had no First Nation ancestry due to the fact we arrived in Canada in 2000.

AmericanRose

@Seahorse Wrangler
My family arrived in the US mainly throughout the 1800s, and though my mother swears my 3x-great-grandmother was Native American... I can't find any records of it.

@JermajestyDuggar
My grandmother re-immigrated to the US in 2018. But I've only been to England twice, so I definitely wouldn't claim to 'feel British'. For all the talk about 'patriotism' people sure don't like saying they're just plain American!

cartouche
13 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

For all the talk about 'patriotism' people sure don't like saying they're just plain American!

The alt-right fetishizes European art/culture/heritage so I'm really not surprised MM feels the same way. 😅 Apparently "American" is too multicultural to be a sufficient identity!