IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 4: The Reality Show From Hell

GreyhoundFan

The mango moron is once again proving that he can’t read.

Here’s the actual NYT headline:

Studies Show N.Y. Outbreak Originated in Europe

(Can’t link to the article as I’m on my phone)

This might explain his anger with the NYT:

In light of the above, this is just hilarious.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

The mango moron is once again proving that he can’t read.

Here’s the actual NYT headline:

Studies Show N.Y. Outbreak Originated in Europe

(Can’t link to the article as I’m on my phone)

This might explain his anger with the NYT:

In light of the above, this is just hilarious.

Really? You did well at reading language? Why do I think the truth is more like your dad bailed you out or threw his weight around and raised a stink with your principals and teachers to give you higher grades, with or without your knowledge.

• Upvote 9

26 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Really? You did well at reading language? Why do I think the truth is more like your dad bailed you out or threw his weight around and raised a stink with your principals and teachers to give you higher grades, with or without your knowledge.

He can read words! Many words! Bigly words! Like "wheelbarrow"!!

Sentences and reading for meaning is completely different though.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Comparison between the UK and Ireland responses and current situation.

(At some point I will learn how to get Twitter to link with an image).

"So we adjust per capita - how many deaths per 100,000 people? 

As of Saturday 11 April, there have been 6.5 deaths per 100,000 people in Ireland.

There have been 14.81 deaths per 100,000 people in the UK.

Guys, people have been dying at more than *twice the rate* in the UK."

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yep. Someone explained it to him like he was five, and he's parroting that to the public.

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

(At some point I will learn how to get Twitter to link with an image

Are you using Chrome by any chance? If so, changing over to Safari might help. I used to use Chrome, but since a couple of months tweets simply won't embed anymore, and Safari works just fine. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

My mother is emailing me freaking out over the high infection/death rates in Belgium, where I lived for a year. I had no idea they were so much higher than here, and not sure why. @fraurosena any idea? Is it how deaths are being recorded, or just that we are an island continent which was able to shut down ports (eventually) and stop imported transmission before community transmission took hold?

Australia is at 6,313 cases, with 59 deaths, which gives us a rate of 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population. Limburg, where I lived, has 3,662 cases - over half of Australia's total with considerably lower population. I know population density plays a role, but I thought they locked down at least a week before us. Belgium overall has a rate of 31.1 deaths per 100,000, which is pretty high even compared to surrounding countries. I am going to have to (slowly) read more media.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Wow, does he ever sound like a preschooler, trying to explain what he doesn't understand!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

@Ozlsn I’ve wondered the same about Sweden, which is comparable to us in infections (or was, a couple of days ago) but had 10x the deaths. I’ve just looked it up again and where both countries were at 5 000 cases when I last looked, we’re now at 6 300 and they’re at 10 400 with nearly 900 dead. I can only speculate, but three things stand out to me comparing Aus to Belgium (or Sweden): population density, as you mentioned, proximity to other hotspots (the sheer volume of travel around Europe before everything shut down means they’d have had many more early asymptomatic cases than us), and testing. Australia’s testing rates have been good right from the start, whereas if Belgium locked down at a lower number of CONFIRMED cases but a higher number of ACTUAL cases, that would make a big difference to the promptness and efficacy of the lockdown. Even now, the worldometers data says Belgium has tested at a rate of around 9000 per million population where Aus is close to 14 000. 

I wonder how much difference climate makes. There’s lots here worried about things exploding as we hit cold and flu season. Hopefully our milder winters help. It was 21 degrees here today and that’s jeans weather for me, but I know would be considered summer for many in the northern hemisphere.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

My mother is emailing me freaking out over the high infection/death rates in Belgium, where I lived for a year. I had no idea they were so much higher than here, and not sure why. @fraurosena any idea? Is it how deaths are being recorded, or just that we are an island continent which was able to shut down ports (eventually) and stop imported transmission before community transmission took hold?

Australia is at 6,313 cases, with 59 deaths, which gives us a rate of 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population. Limburg, where I lived, has 3,662 cases - over half of Australia's total with considerably lower population. I know population density plays a role, but I thought they locked down at least a week before us. Belgium overall has a rate of 31.1 deaths per 100,000, which is pretty high even compared to surrounding countries. I am going to have to (slowly) read more media.

Apart from possible differences in counter-measures and the speed with which they were taken, I suspect the much of disparity in numbers is due to the comparison of two different sets of data. In other words, it might be like comparing apples to oranges. What exact information is the basis for the numbers that Belgium is reporting? And what information is used for the Australian numbers? For instance, if Belgians are being tested in higher numbers than Aussies, then that would explain the difference between confirmed cases in Belgium and Australia. The same would then apply to the number of reported corona-related deaths.

Plus, is Belgium perhaps reporting all deaths they suspect are corona-related, whilst Australia only reports the deaths of actually tested cases? 

Another factor could be timing. Hypothetically, if Belgium can gather its information faster than Australia, then that would also skew the numbers.

Whatever the case may be, unless you're absolutely sure that you're comparing like for like data, you can't draw any conclusion in differences in reported numbers between different countries.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Wow, does he ever sound like a preschooler, trying to explain what he doesn't understand!

And he clearly doesn't understand. Most people understand COVID-19 is a virus, and most people understand antibiotics aren't effective against viruses.  

Of course mango moron doesn't seem to have the intelligence of most people. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Court puts the smack down on ksleg attempt to override governor 

• Upvote 14

Since Jared is a crook, this is no big surprise:

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

Another crooked R capitalizing on confidential information:

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

6 hours ago, Smee said:

Three things stand out to me comparing Aus to Belgium (or Sweden): population density, as you mentioned, proximity to other hotspots (the sheer volume of travel around Europe before everything shut down means they’d have had many more early asymptomatic cases than us), and testing. Australia’s testing rates have been good right from the start, whereas if Belgium locked down at a lower number of CONFIRMED cases but a higher number of ACTUAL cases, that would make a big difference to the promptness and efficacy of the lockdown. Even now, the worldometers data says Belgium has tested at a rate of around 9000 per million population where Aus is close to 14 000.

Yeah, agreed. I was thinking last night about the "Aspen cluster" which was essentially directly or indirectly due to two people going skiing in Colorado - how many more people went skiing in Italy, or travelled to Brussels for work? I suspect that community transmission was much further established in Europe before everyone became aware of how bad it was.

6 hours ago, Smee said:

I wonder how much difference climate makes. There’s lots here worried about things exploding as we hit cold and flu season.

Given we are already locked down, wearing masks and washing hands our flu season should be much lower than usual, but being in summer with people being outside and more spaced out than in winter when covid-19 emerged probably helped a lot. 

I do wonder a lot about how much co-infections is going on - both my sister and husband had a severe respiratory illness in early March, and both tested negative to covid-19 and eight other respiratory viruses (including influenza and parainfluenza).  So it is likely that there are other things circulating which are quite possibly contributing to both morbidity and mortality of people testing positive to covid-19.

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

For instance, if Belgians are being tested in higher numbers than Aussies, then that would explain the difference between confirmed cases in Belgium and Australia. The same would then apply to the number of reported corona-related deaths.

Currently Belgians are being tested at lower numbers. Not sure about deaths, but I doubt an over ten-fold difference is solely due to reporting measures. 

Sweden reportedly is using a "herd immunity" strategy, which explains part of their levels. Germany I think is using high testing and containment - I haven't read (or more likely understood - my Dutch doesn't include a lot of more specific vocab, unsurprisingly) whether Belgium is using those, but suspect if they're locked down that they aren't.

7 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Another factor could be timing. Hypothetically, if Belgium can gather its information faster than Australia, then that would also skew the numbers.

Possibly - although I still don't think that would explain the increased numbers, particularly with less testing in Belgium.

Argh. The FB posts from friends and family there have all been lockdown games, so theoretically they're OK (I didn't post about my husband though, so...) But the increased numbers really surprised me. 

• Upvote 4

That's because other democracies are not being run by a malignant narcissist toddler.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

He's actually a worldwide disaster:

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

This is not a surprise, given that 95% of the words out of Twitler's mouth are lies:

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

hello friends i had to take a break from this tread, but now i'm back with more energy than before so i was thinking does anyone knows how the fundie community in NY are responding to the virus? i'm thinking about Hasidic jews and others even not in Ny like the amish since they usually consider themself to be other from the government... will they even know that there is a pandemic going on?

here the number of people in ICU are going down every day from circa 10 days so hurra it seems that now many people are test early and thus get treat before they become too sick

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

People have been fixing the PR announcement on the "Council for Re-Opening America:"

Before:

972314761_CouncilofAssholes.thumb.jpg.0b4b86d2d3ded19344f6e7ea67e2e796.jpg

Afters:

Spoiler

283012936_UpdatedCouncil.jpg.cc9ff0e34ee43605ba29c689e14f20cd.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 16

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

hello friends i had to take a break from this tread, but now i'm back with more energy than before so i was thinking does anyone knows how the fundie community in NY are responding to the virus? i'm thinking about Hasidic jews and others even not in Ny like the amish since they usually consider themself to be other from the government... will they even know that there is a pandemic going on?

I haven't read anything about other fundie communities, but I saw this the other day about outreach to Amish groups.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-work-keep-amish-communities-informed-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-n1181191

(Oh, and hi everyone. :my_blush: I'll try to make an "I'm back, I missed everyone!" post later today. )

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
riffle. My Kindle hates me
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 14

2 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I haven't read anything about other fundie communities, but I saw this the other day about outreach to Amish groups.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-work-keep-amish-communities-informed-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-n1181191

(Oh, and hi everyone. :my_blush: I'll try to make an "I'm back, I missed everyone!" post later today. )

Your screenname is a sight for sore eyes :)  Missed you!

• I Agree 8
  • Love 7

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Your screenname is a sight for sore eyes :)  Missed you!

Thank you! :my_heart: My plan when I finally logged in was to answer the nice PMs I got, then make a status update to announce my triumphant return. ? But when I saw a question that I knew an answer to, I had to indulge my inner Hermione Granger and answer it. :pb_lol:

• Haha 2
  • Love 11

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic