Top Posters In This Topic

• AmazonGrace

• GreyhoundFan

• fraurosena

• Cartmann99

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's a Democrat, in case you were wondering

Lauren F**king Boebert (R-QAnon) has been in Congress for all of five minutes, tweeted "1776" on the morning of Jan. 6.   Then she live tweeted Nancy Pelosi's whereabouts while they were under assault

Jackie Speier, who survived being shot five times and left for dead when investigating Jim Jones, posted about the Republicans who refused to be checked for guns: I know, I'm obsessing on th

Posted Images

47of74

AOC took that fuck Yoho to the woodshed

There was a televised bloodbath on the floor of the House of Representatives on Thursday morning and nobody stepped in to stop it. The political career of Rep. Ted Yoho was eviscerated and its internal organs were put on display. On a point of personal privilege, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was granted an hour of debate time essentially to respond to Yoho’s ludicrous non-apology for having accosted her, and having called her a “fcking bitch,” on the steps of the Capitol earlier this week, and she and the Democratic caucus didn’t waste a second of it. In his sad alibi speech, in addition to arguing that Jesus and patriotism made him do it, Yoho hid behind his wife and daughters. AOC wasn’t having any of that, and she shredded this hoary dodge like a rotting old battle flag.

I could not allow my nieces, I could not allow the little girls I go home to, I could not allow victims of verbal abuse and worse to see that, to see that excuse and to see our Congress accept it as legitimate and accept it as an apology."I do not need Rep. Yoho to apologize to me. Clearly, he does not want to. Clearly, when given the opportunity, he will not. And I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over calling women & using abusive language toward women. I will not allow people to change and create hatred in our hearts. And so what I believe is that having a daughter does not make a man decent. Having a wife does not make a decent man. Treating people with dignity and respect makes a decent man. Lastly, what I want to express to Mr. Yoho is gratitude. I want to thank him for showing the world that you can be a powerful man and accost women. You can have daughters and accost women without remorse. You can be married and accost women.

• Upvote 10
onekidanddone

So what is up with Nancy? She sure isn’t doing a damn thing to stop Trump’s brow shirts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
GreyhoundFan

From the wonderful satirical columnist, Alexandra Petri: "Ted Yoho’s apology to AOC, offered as a masterclass"

Spoiler

“I cannot apologize for my passion, or for loving my God, my family, and my country! I yield back!”

— Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.), apologizing(?) to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.)

You may wonder, “Ted, how did you get so good at apologizing?” What can I say? It’s a gift. I’ve literally never done it before. Some (the recipient of my apology, technically) would say that I still haven’t! Welcome to my master class, where I’ll showcase just a few of the tricks that I employed in my apology on the House floor to my colleague from New York!

“Wait, I thought he called Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a ‘f---ing b----’ under his breath in front of a reporter!” those who heard this apology said. “But I guess what happened was that he said, ‘I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I LOVE MY GOD,’ in a very garbled mutter under his breath, and some member of the lamestream media badly misheard him!”

Most people say that a good apology accepts responsibility, acknowledges the harm done and seeks to make amends. This is not true. A good apology does none of these things! A good apology is like the Battle Hymn of the Republic: It is a patriotic song about America that never says it’s sorry, not even one bit.

To apologize or otherwise take responsibility for something you have said or done in the past is deeply un-American, and you must put your foot down and refuse in no uncertain terms, or an eagle will lose its wings.

Every good apology contains five parts:

1) What sounds like the beginning of a normal apology. Announce that you are going to apologize, because you are a bigger person. Do not be afraid to expatiate on all the ways you are a bigger person — there are probably lots! That is what the apology is about: to remind people how great you are, and how you have never done anything wrong, ever, in your life.

2) Denial that the event in question even happened. Try to obfuscate, because a good apology is full of suspense. Like “Memento”! And also, like “Memento,” your audience should spend the majority of it wondering (a) what even happened and (b) whether the guy in question did anything bad at all.

3) Apology for something that someone else did wrong. Now for the best part of any apology: the unexpected twist! “The offensive name-calling words attributed to me by the press were never spoken to my colleagues, and if they were construed that way, I apologize for their misunderstanding.” Wow! What even happened? It sounds like this man is magnanimously apologizing for somebody else’s misunderstanding — which he should not have to do! Whatever this guy has to say, I’m listening!

4) Panegyric about yourself. Be sure to indicate that whatever it was that happened, it was not your fault; you were too busy thinking Great Thoughts About the People’s Well-Being to do anything that could be unworthy of a patriot and statesman. Be sure to mention that you are a father of daughters, no matter what you are ostensibly apologizing for. Make it clear that you are only apologizing because you are such a bosom companion of Jesus Christ …

5) Refusal to apologize! … and that you will not apologize for any of these things! “I cannot apologize for my passion, or for loving my God, my family, and my country! I yield back!”

Now that’s an apology!

People should start your apology thinking they understand that you are asking forgiveness for calling your colleague a sexist obscenity under your breath and end it by being confused and thinking that maybe you are being asked to apologize for being too good a person, who loves America too much? By the time you are done speaking, your listener should be saying to himself, “Well, what could be more American than insulting a woman of color who is supposed to be your respected colleague!”

Sign up for this master class now for further tips and tricks! A few spots are still remaining, but they are going fast!

Coming soon: How to make the person you are apologizing to the villain in this situation if she tries pointing out that this wasn’t an apology at all.

• Upvote 6
fraurosena

The Trumplican wet dream:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5
GreyhoundFan

More from the idiot:

• Disgust 4
onekidanddone
On 7/23/2020 at 4:13 PM, onekidanddone said:

So what is up with Nancy? She sure isn’t doing a damn thing to stop Trump’s brow shirts. 

Quoting my self to still ask what the fuck is Pelosi doing to stop Trump’s goon squads in Portland? People made a big deal of her calling COVID the Trump plague. Yea who cares. That was a useless distraction. I’ve about totally lost patience with the establishment Democrats. Aren’t doing crap

• Upvote 1
47of74

Yoho has resigned from the board of Bread for the World after calling AOC a fucking bitch....

Florida GOP Rep. Ted Yoho has resigned from the board of a Christian organization that works to fight hunger following his tense exchange with Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.

Chris Ford, the deputy director for strategic communications and campaigns of Bread for the World, on Saturday evening confirmed Yoho's resignation to CNN. The Florida congressman resigned on Friday during a meeting with the organization board, according to a statement from Bread for the World.

"We believe that Rep. Ted Yoho's recent actions and words as reported in the media are not reflective of the ethical standards expected of members of our Board of Directors," the organization wrote in a statement.

"...read sought his resignation as an action that reaffirms our commitment to coming alongside women and people of color, nationally and globally, as they continue to lead us to a more racially inclusive and equitable world."

Too little, too late, asshole.  If you really mean it you'd resign from Congress right now, you sack of shit.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
GreyhoundFan

I prefer Mr. Fuckitallup:

• Upvote 3
fraurosena

A reminder that Barr will be testifying tommorrow.

• Thank You 4
onekidanddone
16 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I prefer Mr. Fuckitallup:

I am beyond ticked off at her. Name calling is a Trump like diversion to hide the fact she isn’t doing a damn thing about the armed invasion of Portland

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
Audrey2

I guess I'll put this here, although it could just as easily go in the Senate thread. I read this this morning and thought it was an excellent article.

Congress Was Already Broken. The Coronavirus Could Make it Worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-already-broken-coronavirus-could-162024975.html

Spoiler

By nearly any measure, Congress is a toxic mess seemingly incapable of rising to the occasion even at a time of existential threats. No one knows that better than those who, until recently, served there.

“Congress has largely become a dysfunctional institution unable to meet the critical needs of our country,” said a new report, “Congress at a Crossroads,” produced by the Association of Former Members of Congress. Scheduled to be issued publicly next week, it is a damning indictment of the steady deterioration of a congressional culture that today rewards power over progress and conflict over consensus.

Many of us have talked about what a mess Congress it. I've been blaming Fox News. While it certainly plays a part, I didn't remember these changes.

I thought this part was very interesting, about Congress spending more time out of Washington and not intereacting socially.

Spoiler

It is a long-standing complaint about Congress that with time spent in Washington now deemed a negative, lawmakers just do not interact socially and consequently find it much easier to dismiss the other side. The disconnect has been exacerbated in recent years as the polarization intensified and Republicans and Democrats now have little contact with one another. The authors said that situation must change if there is any chance for Congress to become more functional.

“Those relationships are the secret sauce for getting things done, understanding each other and building bridges across geography and ideology,” said Steinhorn.

Finally, here are some solutions.

Spoiler

Recognizing the need for more communication, the report offers multiple recommendations, including encouraging lawmakers to travel as part of congressional delegations as well as for field hearings, visits to districts of lawmakers from the other party and bipartisan retreats. It also recommended more social functions and even scheduled weekend sessions of Congress to give lawmakers more time to interact.

“There is going to be no substitute for connecting with people, building relationships and staying connected,” said Sobol. “Forging relationships in action is what we are advocating.”

Given the media’s role in modern politics, the study even raises the prospect of a press operation run jointly by the parties to highlight bipartisanship and promote efforts across the aisle — an idea that would seem highly unlikely to anyone spending significant time on Capitol Hill these days.

This is why I'm not in favor of term limits. Building solid, trusting relationships and understanding takes time. I actually think things would be worse with a complete turn over in 8 years.

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
fraurosena

So Louie Gohmert tested positive for Covid19.

Gohmert himself has a theory on how he was infected:

No matter how he got it, Gohmert's testing positive has consequences:

Oh, and then there's this.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
GreyhoundFan
5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

So Louie Gohmert tested positive for Covid19.

Oops...

• Haha 6
GreyhoundFan

Sadly, I think this is the Repug best:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
GreyhoundFan

You couldn't make this up:

• Haha 4
GreyhoundFan

Gym has to fling poop everywhere...

• WTF 5
  • Haha 2
GreyhoundFan

"Tech titans gave their House testimony virtually. But it was the congressmen who departed from reality."

Spoiler

The congressional hearing starring the country’s tech titans began as so many video conferences have in the midst of a pandemic, with the chief executives of Facebook, Google, Amazon and Apple appearing like tiny talking heads on a digital grid with neither charm nor grandeur.

They spoke of their companies’ modest beginnings, of achieving the American Dream and of the unique wonders of capitalism. Because they didn’t march into the wood-paneled committee room with its high ceiling and leather chairs where they would have been swarmed by a phalanx of photographers and trailed by a clutch of attorneys, the men seemed less consequential than they actually are. Technology, which has brought them outsize wealth and influence, had the effect of making them appear small and, ultimately, more human. Each was just a lone man in a room talking into a microphone and dealing with audio delay. And even a tech wizard like Jeff Bezos sometimes forgets to unmute himself.

Google’s Sundar Pichai was the sleekest of the lot in both appearance and setting. He wore an elegant charcoal suit and matching tie and was well-framed behind a desk that sat in an office that looked like it had been inspired by the West Elm catalogue. He sat with perfect posture, and when he spoke, his gestures were emotive but not frantic. He tended to steeple his fingers as he attempted to answer the House Judiciary subcommittee members’ meandering questions that teetered between privacy issues and conspiracy theories.

Amazon’s Bezos sat in front of a wall of honey-colored shelves with a distinctly mid-century modern feel; Tim Cook of Apple was backed by a low row of green house plants; and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg had a plain white background that glowed so brightly it looked as though he were delivering his testimony from the interior of a nuclear reactor.

As much as they all thanked the subcommittee members for the opportunity to appear virtually, and complimented them on their fantastic questions that they couldn’t wait to answer, eating up a little time so that they wouldn’t have to respond to too many questions, no one appeared delighted to be there. And why should they be? The politicians are so obsessed with their limited amount of time that they ask a question and then trample over the answers in their hurry to get to the next one. They want one-word answers to questions that are akin to soliloquies.

In general, the Democrats are displeased with how large these tech companies have become and how they dominate their market. Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) questioned Pichai about Google’s respect for privacy. Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) hammered Bezos about whether Amazon swipes data from the small companies that sell their wares on the site, and Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon (D-Pa.) peppered him with questions about the great diaper wars in which Amazon crushed ­Diapers.com.

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) was so distressed about Apple and its apps and the App Store that his five minutes may best be paraphrased for clarity: Apps from the App Store are not fair to app developers. How do the apps in the App Store work? Who makes the app rules? What’s an app? Who controls the apps in the App Store that Apple built? App! App! App!

But, mostly, the Democrats focused on big questions about the power these companies have amassed, even if they really weren’t all that interested in hearing the executives’ answers. The Republicans were far more concerned about Google and how it’s unfair to conservatives. Google suppresses conservative voices. Google sends Republicans’ fundraising emails to spam. Google is anti-American.

In his opening statement, Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) felt the need to note, “Conservatives are consumers, too.” Poor, poor conservatives. Sensenbrenner, a man who flattens vowels like he’s wielding a hammer, wanted to know why Donald Trump Jr. was silenced when he touted hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for covid-19. (The Food and Drug Administration has advised against the use of the drug.) Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), noting that Google dropped out of the contest for a Defense Department computing contract because it didn’t align with company values, suggested that Google’s values were anti-American.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who once wore a gas mask on the House floor to mock the novel coronavirus and then later had to quarantine after being exposed to it, accused Google of being supportive of the Chinese military. He quoted the right-wing website the Daily Caller. Gaetz asked the entire panel whether any of them represented companies that do not embrace American values. None of the CEOs self-identified as anti-American. But the Republicans remained unconvinced.

No one was more unconvinced than Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio). Is the jacketless Jordan a member of every single committee of the House of Representatives? He always seems to be up there on the dais yelling into the microphone, with his reading glasses perched on his nose.

Wednesday afternoon, he was yelling about whether Google’s Pichai would promise that the search engine would not do anything to support Joe Biden’s presidential campaign. Pichai looked perplexed. Jordan wanted him to affirm that Google wouldn’t help former vice president Biden. Pichai tried to explain that the search engine is nonpartisan. Jordan badgered. Finally, Pichai said Google wouldn’t support either candidate. Jordan didn’t seem particularly satisfied, but his time was up, and the baton was handed to Scanlon, who announced that she’d be getting back to questions about antitrust issues and leave the conspiracy theories behind.

And then Jordan had a fit because conservatives have feelings, too. So he started yelling again. And he was told to put on his mask. And, well, oh, boy, it was as childish as it all sounds, and one couldn’t help but wonder whether some of our representatives are drinking the hand sanitizer instead of using it for good hygiene.

The hearing was billed as an investigation into online competition. And much of the evidence laid out before Bezos, who owns The Washington Post, speaks to ruthless business practices. Zuckerberg still doesn’t quite grasp the impact of Facebook on civic life. And most of those on the subcommittee weren’t really up to the task of questioning Cook on Apple’s business practices. Still, the voices of small-business owners whose livelihoods had been upended by Amazon were at least piped into the room.

Too many of the Republicans were focused on playing put upon and abused. They seemed more interested in Trump Jr.’s Twitter habit and throwing out accusations of anti-Americanism at the only executive of color testifying. Stifled competition and bullied employees were side notes. The event was virtual, but the disgrace was real. The titans were diminished, but far too many of the subcommittee members were the ones who looked small.

• Upvote 4
AmericanRose

I find it ironic that they were demanding to know if the companies supported "American values". Do we even have values anymore?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
GreyhoundFan

Gee, ethics violations by a repug member of congress, what a surprise /sarcasm: "Rep. Schweikert admits to 11 spending violations, will face sanction by full House"

Spoiler

Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) has admitted to 11 ethics violations related to improper spending and other financial rulebreaking and has agreed to a $50,000 fine, the House Ethics Committee announced Thursday.

As part of the deal, the House will also hold a vote on reprimanding Schweikert, the panel said.

The news deals a blow to the reelection campaign of Schweikert, who has been under investigation since June 2018. The congressman had previously blamed some of the alleged violations on an unintended “clerical screw-up,” but his campaign later shifted course and said Schweikert’s trust in his former chief of staff, whose finances had also come under investigation, had been “grossly misplaced.”

The chief of staff, Richard “Oliver” Schwab, left his position last year.

In a statement, Schweikert’s office did not address any of the alleged violations but said the congressman is eager to move on from the matter.

“We are pleased the Committee has issued their report and we can move forward from this chapter,” Schweikert’s office said. “As noted in the review, all issues have been resolved and Congressman Schweikert will continue working hard for Arizona’s 6th District.”

Schweikert is running unopposed in next week’s Republican primary in Arizona’s 6th District. Four candidates are seeking the Democratic nomination to face him in November; among them, Hiral Tipirneni had a $1 million cash-on-hand advantage over Schweikert as of mid-July, according to the Arizona Republic.

In its report, the Ethics Committee said that its investigative subcommittee, known as the ISC, had unanimously concluded that there was “substantial reason to believe” that Schweikert had “violated House Rules, the Code of Ethics for Government Service, federal laws and other applicable standards.”

The panel added that Schweikert’s alleged rulebreaking was connected to “campaign finance violations and reporting errors by his authorized campaign committees; the misuse of his Members’ Representational Allowance for unofficial purposes; pressuring official staff to perform campaign work; and his lack of candor and due diligence during the investigation.”

The investigative subcommittee found that between July 2010 and December 2017, Schweikert “erroneously disclosed or failed to disclose” at least $305,000 in loans or loan repayments. During that time, Schweikert’s campaign also failed to disclose at least $25,000 in spending and more than $140,000 in donations, and falsely reported $100,000 in expenditures, the panel said.

Additionally, Schwab was found to have spent $270,000 on Schweikert’s campaign, an alleged violation of federal law.

“Accordingly Rep. Schweikert did not act in a manner that reflected creditably on the House,” the panel said in its report.

Schweikert also spent official funds on unofficial and campaign purposes and used campaign funds to reimburse his congressional staffers for personal items, “including food and babysitting services,” over the course of seven years, the ethics report said.

The Ethics Committee said it will introduce a privileged resolution calling for the adoption of its report and a reprimand of Schweikert by the full House.

• Upvote 4
fraurosena

Remember way back last year, when the impeachment hearings were being held? Remember how the Dems didn't enforce subpoena's on everyone who refused to testify? Remember how people were angry that they didn't?

Well, here's proof they were right not to. It took a full year for the courts to finally state that yes, you have to comply with the House Judiciary's subpoena, even though the administration is telling you you shouldn't.

• Thank You 3
fraurosena

Too bad that, as per McConnell's usual, this bill will fail to reach the floor of the Senate.

• Upvote 6