IGNORED

Weirdest Fundie Beliefs

closetcagebaby

38 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Weird fundie belief -- anyone remember "backwards masking"?

The truly nutso wacky insane belief that if you played a rock album, any album. backwards you would hear Satan talking.  The belief was that your brain heard the music, somehow converted it to run backward in your head, and you subconsciously heard Satan telling you to do all sorts of satanic things. That you of course obeyed.

I never could get a fundie to explain to me exactly how you played an album backwards

Yes. "Satan come sing in our voices" is what they swore was being played backwards in the song "Snowblind" by Styx on the Paradise Theater album (yes, I know it was the dark ages then). On the next album, Kilroy Was Here, the band purposely put some backwards shit in one song (don't remember now which one). I don't remember what they were saying but it was basically to fuck with the fundies...back in the days of the "moral majority" (which was neither). 

• Upvote 5

@Red Hair, Black Dress, that ridiculous belief started back in the days of vinyl records, when you could manually spin the turntable backwards. Some people would record music on a reel-to-reel tape recorder and play it backwards. We tried these back in the ‘60s and, being ebil Catholics, thought the idea of Satanic messages in rock and roll to be absurd.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Yes. "Satan come sing in our voices" is what they swore was being played backwards in the song "Snowblind" by Styx on the Paradise Theater album (yes, I know it was the dark ages then). On the next album, Kilroy Was Here, the band purposely put some backwards shit in one song (don't remember now which one). I don't remember what they were saying but it was basically to fuck with the fundies...back in the days of the "moral majority" (which was neither). 

I think ELO did the same thing.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

The truly nutso wacky insane belief that if you played a rock album, any album. backwards you would hear Satan talking.  The belief was that your brain heard the music, somehow converted it to run backward in your head, and you subconsciously heard Satan telling you to do all sorts of satanic things. That you of course obeyed.

I never could get a fundie to explain to me exactly how you played an album backwards

For any who might be interested , here is a series of videos putting this to the test . As might be expected , most if not all were debunked .  

Spoiler

Edited by Coconut Flan
Multiple images.
  • Thank You 2

For anyone interested in a non-Christian fundie fix, I recommend the Netflix miniseries “Unorthodox,” about a young woman’s escape from Hasidic life in Brooklyn. It was inspired by Deborah Feldman’s memoir with the same name.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

On 4/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I remember watching part of the court case against Judas Priest where Rob Halford said something along the lines of  IF they were going to put any subliminal messaging on their records  it would be buy more records not kill yourself. About 8 minutes in.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Hane said:

For anyone interested in a non-Christian fundie fix, I recommend the Netflix miniseries “Unorthodox,” about a young woman’s escape from Hasidic life in Brooklyn. It was inspired by Deborah Feldman’s memoir with the same name.

It is seriously binge-worthy.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

The Uncover podcast did an episode on Backmasking this season.  In cases where the baskmasking was deliberate, it was usually done as a joke to comment on the controversy.  There's a Weird Al song with a backmasked message, "Gee, you sure have a lot of time on your hands."  The whole phenomenon pretty much disappeared when CDs became popular because there was no way to play them backwards.

https://16573.mc.tritondigital.com/CBC_UNCOVER_P/media-session/ba02ddc0-0b01-45bc-bb49-fa0cd0604ab7/uncover-iUpa1OtA-20200317.mp3

• Upvote 4

On 4/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, GeoBQn said:

The Uncover podcast did an episode on Backmasking this season.  In cases where the baskmasking was deliberate, it was usually done as a joke to comment on the controversy.  There's a Weird Al song with a backmasked message, "Gee, you sure have a lot of time on your hands."  The whole phenomenon pretty much disappeared when CDs became popular because there was no way to play them backwards.

https://16573.mc.tritondigital.com/CBC_UNCOVER_P/media-session/ba02ddc0-0b01-45bc-bb49-fa0cd0604ab7/uncover-iUpa1OtA-20200317.mp3

Or this example from Petra .  

On 3/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, formergothardite said:

That women have one less rib than men.

OMG I grew up hearing this (though I think it was men had one less rib than women) and completely forgot about it until now.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, larrysmom said:

OMG I grew up hearing this (though I think it was men had one less rib than women) and completely forgot about it until now.

Right, because God took one of Adam’s ribs to make Eve, I believe.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, larrysmom said:

You are correct! I mixed up the weird thing I once used to believe. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, GeoBQn said:

I always think of this when backmasking is mentioned:

• Haha 7

Those of us who are old enough may remember this song by Napoleon XIV "They're Coming to Take Me Away  HA HA" where the B side was just the song played backwards.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Oh wow, I hadn’t thought of that song in years. My dad had the 45 from when he was a teenager, and we somehow ended up with his 45 collection after my parents divorced.

• Upvote 3

I still have that 45rpm vinyl single.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Those of us who are old enough may remember this song by Napoleon XIV "They're Coming to Take Me Away  HA HA" where the B side was just the song played backwards.  

Here in central Connecticut, our local radio stations refused to play this song, perhaps because it was considered demeaning to people with mental illness. I finally got to hear it when I visited my cousins in New York City.

• Upvote 3

I’ve read that its chart run was relatively brief(although to be fair, the “shelf life” of novelty songs tends to be short anyway)because many record stores didn’t reorder it after their inventory ran out, due to what @Hane said.

I also have the 45, found at a yard sale.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 2

I grew up going to a municipal swimming pool, and I think that song (and Red Rubber Ball, by Cyrcle) were popular on the jukebox there for about three summers.... I know it by heart.. yes, the reverse side was also played. Thankfully, not as much.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I still have that 45. Loved it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, smittykins said:

I’ve read that its chart run was relatively brief(although to be fair, the “shelf life” of novelty songs tends to be short anyway)because many record stores didn’t reorder it after their inventory ran out, due to what @Hane said.

I also have the 45, found at a yard sale.

I remember it from the Doctor Demento show, my one friend was so into that show.

Edited by tankgirl
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I grew up going to a municipal swimming pool, and I think that song (and Red Rubber Ball, by Cyrcle) were popular on the jukebox there for about three summers.... I know it by heart.. yes, the reverse side was also played. Thankfully, not as much.

Our municipal pool played stuff like Big Bad John and Pretty Woman.  I assume that most of us are familiar with Marty Robbins' great hit Pretty Woman, but might not know Big Bad John so here it is:

Yep, that Jimmy Dean who was not only a country singer, but also the sausage king.  He had a variety show on ABC in the early and mid 60s.  The Muppets made their earliest national splash on his show.  Rowlf the Dog was a regular and Jim Henson was always grateful to Jimmy Deam for the break.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I assume that most of us are familiar with Marty Robbins' great hit Pretty Woman,

Sorry to nitpick, but do you mean Roy Orbison?

• Upvote 2

On 4/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, larrysmom said:

Yep. When I was a kid I heard that one preached from the pulpit: "And to this day, men have one less rib than women do." It was many years later I found out it was total nonsense.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, smittykins said:

Sorry to nitpick, but do you mean Roy Orbison?

Yes,  I did.  I was trying to remember some song that Marty did that they played at the pool though.  

They didn't play just country at the pool; they played rock 'n roll, rockabilly and soul, too.  

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Yes,  I did.  I was trying to remember some song that Marty did that they played at the pool though.  

They didn't play just country at the pool; they played rock 'n roll, rockabilly and soul, too.  

Was it this song ?  I think that this is probably his best known hit .  

• Upvote 1