IGNORED

Weirdest Fundie Beliefs

closetcagebaby

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not religious and I’ve found it has helped me see a lot of similarities in religious beliefs between fundie Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Being on the outside looking in gives you a better perspective than being entrenched in it. Even mainstream christians often don't see the similarities. 

Same. Actually my stepdaughter was brought up religious (not fundie) and mentioned something about another religion and my husband said something to the effect of, “They all basically believe in the same God”. Then I added how people kill and have killed each other over the same basic belief.  Good times.

I am sorry I feel like I derailed the conversation over this though! 

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Which religion is it that use to have a bride present a bloody sheet on her honeymoon to prove she was a virgin?

This wasn’t any specific religion, just a sort of tribal practice used by certain highly patriarchal groups. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

On 3/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, freethemall said:

Obviously that whole story Jill Rod mentioned (and apparently others believe too) about drilling into earth and hearing the shrieks from hell come out of the hole. Does it get weirder?

And since Orthodox Jews were mentioned - pre ripping toilet paper to have it ready for the sabbath,  so you dont have to do that "work".

Isn't that hell hole where Beansie came from before he made his way into the green bean can?

Also, if ripping toilet paper is that much "work", why do they bother with wiping their asses? Isn't that "work" too?

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, dripcurl said:

It’s nebulous as best and psychologically damaging and developmentally stunting at worst. Think of the Sarah Mally’s of the world [...] there was a part of the book where a young man was talking to her at an after church function of some sort, and she literally kept avoiding him and saying prayers in the hallway asking God to guard her heart and guide her in her responses.

And then, of course, you get married and those responses all magically change and sex is wonderful, right? Nope. I've read countless heartbreaking stories of couples that had all kinds of emotional and sexual dysfunction because that entrenched "sex is dangerous!" mindset didn't simply switch off after the wedding. You summed it up exactly right, "psychologically damaging and developmentally stunting". It needs to die.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

23 hours ago, KWLand said:

-that God calls every woman to be the same--all women work at home, all women have thousands of kids, all women

but God still gave women brains. So if women were all to stay home, have lots of kids and never leave, then why did God give women different aptitudes, strengths, weaknesses and the ability to think? If God wanted us all the same, then we would have all been made like step-ford wives. 

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

That a girl should not do any work or job that was not suited to house, home, or children. While simultaneously admiring Proverbs 31 in which she “considers a field and buys it and does business with merchant ships.”

Yah but that field was totes an MLM, and the merchant ships were downlines, so that makes it but the precursor of Plexus! 

• Haha 5

Fundie Muslims don’t believe a woman should leave the house/work/open a bank account without her headship’s permission.  Just like most Christians aren’t fundie, most Muslims aren’t fundie.  

In Saudi Arabia, there’s religious police that enforce fundie rules upon everyone.  They even demanded a Starbucks not serve women because the store’s gender separation wall fell down.  Honestly, I’m disappointed in Starbucks that they complied with this.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabian-women-banned-from-starbucks-after-collapse-of-gender-segregation-wall-a6852646.html

I think Saudi Arabia is a good (terrifying) example of why we can’t let allow religious extremists any footing in government.  Fundies gonna fundie.  We can’t let that happen.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

On 3/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, Carol said:

I don't think it's fair to talk about how crazy other religions(fundamentalist or not) are  without mentioning the Catholic belief in Transubstantiation...the literal belief that the host they swallow and the wine they drink are truly Christ's body and blood.

Talk about magical thinking... 

Born and raised devout Catholic here (until about age 52), and I always had trouble believing in literal transubstantiation (and the Virgin Birth, and the Resurrection, and basically all the cornerstones of Catholic dogma). I tended to think of them in a metaphorical sense as much as possible. I started thinking, “If these things are true, why don’t they happen anymore? Does the idea of them happening two millennia ago make them any more likely back then?”

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, Hane said:

Born and raised devout Catholic here (until about age 52), and I always had trouble believing in literal transubstantiation (and the Virgin Birth, and the Resurrection, and basically all the cornerstones of Catholic dogma). I tended to think of them in a metaphorical sense as much as possible. I started thinking, “If these things are true, why don’t they happen anymore? Does the idea of them happening two millennia ago make them any more likely back then?”

That was a constant thought in my mind when I was a kid when I sat in church every Sunday. Why do all these things happen in the Bible 2000 years ago, But never happen now? At what point did these things stop? Was it immediately after Jesus rose from the dead? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Well, if you are that bozo Benny Hinn or that church in Redding, California, you believe that God still raises people from the dead.  How many days was that poor girl in Redding dead before the church and the parents accepted that she wasn't going to be resurrected?

And how come in the claimed miracles are there are no instances of people's  missing limbs being restored?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

39 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

How many days was that poor girl in Redding dead before the church and the parents accepted that she wasn't going to be resurrected?

9. I followed the case very closely. Raquel even reposted one of the mom’s post calling upon God to raise the child in her insta story during it all. I believe it was the Sacramento Bee that talked with the sheriff of Redding, who said that she was indeed in the morgue the entire time, and had an autopsy. The death was mysterious. The only details about the death itself were that the parents were out of town and she was in the care of someone else. But it sounded like it did happen at their house. However to this day there seem to be people who will not stop posting about Olive (the deceased) and what she “taught” them, per what the mom, Kallie Helingethal is tagged in.

Edited by dripcurl
typo
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 3

19 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Some excerpts from the wisdom booklet that covers eye traps are here: http://whencowsandkidscollide.blogspot.com/2017/10/ati-wisdom-booklets-bright-and-shining.html (not my blog! Found via googling for eye traps wisdom booklets)

Wow, there is so much weirdness in there. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, I suppose we might say that these wisdom booklets are the windows into Gothard's deeply twisted fetishes. He is such a warped person.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 4/1/2020 at 1:14 AM, Hane said:

This wasn’t any specific religion, just a sort of tribal practice used by certain highly patriarchal groups. 

It's referenced in the old testament / Torah https://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/22-17.htm

Basically if a man slanders his wife by saying she claimed to be a virgin at marriage but wasn't, but is proven to be lying then he's punished with a fine.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

That if a woman has premarital sex, a bit of the DNA of every man she was with is somehow stored in her body (uterus?) so that her future children will have bits of DNA from every man she was with. So that technically the children's father isn't their father.

Umm.... genetics/biology doesn't work like that.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:42 AM, Marmion said:

This is where this idea came from , as far as I can tell .  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/women-retain-dna/  I have myself heard of this notion , but more specifically that if a white woman has ever had sex with a black man , all children she subsequently has will call African DNA .  Yeah , that's how far the racist rabbit hole can lead .  

Creationist Dr Kathy Wallace has seriously doubled down on this kind of idea and has made it sound credible to several people I know.

https://vision.org.au/radio/2018/10/19/the-science-of-microchimerism-dr-kathy-wallace/

She says that this retaining of dna causes women who've had multiple sexual partners and especially children with multiple partners to have increased pregnancy risk and chance of complications.

She's also claimed that various fertility drugs and chemicals (and anti-fertility drugs, iirc) can be passed on through generations and can cause various reproductive and/or developmental disorders such as gender dysphoria and same sex attraction.

I've heard people who attended her talks conclude this implies if a woman remarries (or is unfaithful) there's a risk of future children being stillborn, or gay, or trans.

And then there's the [insert any magic themed thing] is occult/evil/demonic/actually contains actual demons idea.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 3

@CyborgKin 

So now I'm thinking that if the whole DNA hangs around belief is extended out a remarried women's children with the second hubby aren't really his, but the children of the 1st hubby, 

And if there is a greater chance that the 2nd hubby's children will be stillborn, gay, trans or there would be generational effects that means that no man would ever want to marry a previously married woman.

Which then contradicts the NT admonition that young widows remarry and bear children.

Of course I've also heard fundie men say that no man should marry a widow or a divorced woman -- because she's not a virgin,  but is a used piece, damaged goods, another man's leavings..... as I've heard more than once.

Fundies are so.... weird ... also ignorant.

Fundies are so weird

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

And then there's the [insert any magic themed thing] is occult/evil/demonic/actually contains actual demons idea

This belief is especially prevelant among Jehovah's Witnesses , from what I have gathered .  https://undubbed.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/jehovahs-witness-urban-legends-smurfs/  

• Upvote 1

Speaking of JW's finding out they were started as a doomsday, end of the earth is coming, get busy with God religion, was eye opening to me. This is just from memory, but the guy who started the religion, believed the end of the world was coming and had a hard date, that date came and went and he picked another, the first few guesses were all quite close together, then he must have learned and moved it quite a ways out, to the 1970's, later the date was not specified, but they still think the end is coming. That is why they also had the number of 100,000 will make it to heaven, every one else is screwed, because the religion had so few people back then, it should have been plenty.

I have no idea, how they think that will work now, but suspect they all think they are super special enough to make it in, and screw every one else. But the heads of JW's heavily discourage individuals to think too hard so, they probably don't think on it too much. Oh and the wrong dates, have been blamed on loads of things and eventually just erased from their materials and ignored, because if the Watchtower tells you it didn't happen, it didn't happen.

• Upvote 6

I remember the “Armageddon will come before the generation who witnessed 1914 passes away” teaching.  Now that 1914 was over 100 years ago, I wonder what the “new light” says.

(My latest weird Internet binge has been JW disfellowshipping/reinstatement procedures.  I studied with them briefly in the late 90s.)

• Upvote 3

On 4/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, smittykins said:

I remember the “Armageddon will come before the generation who witnessed 1914 passes away” teaching.  Now that 1914 was over 100 years ago, I wonder what the “new light” says.

(My latest weird Internet binge has been JW disfellowshipping/reinstatement procedures.  I studied with them briefly in the late 90s.)

• Upvote 4

@Marmion, thanks for sharing that video!

I do find it interesting that so many of those little drawings in the video were full of Buddhist iconography: the numerous lotuses, the drawings of the Buddha and of Hotei (the fat Buddha), the dharma chakra which is used to illustrate the Noble Eightfold Path.  

• Thank You 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:43 AM, formergothardite said:

The God of the Bible is real cool with murdering babies and children and people who happened to just be living their lives but be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When my  Mom died, the pastor said Jeane didn't like the OT God at all, she thought he was mean and distant. I could see my Fundie stepbrother and his wife just shrivel up. Mom was 93 when she went and she was pretty sure about her beliefs. This wasn't anything new, I knew this when I was in my teens and we talked about faith. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

Weird fundie belief -- anyone remember "backwards masking"?

The truly nutso wacky insane belief that if you played a rock album, any album. backwards you would hear Satan talking.  The belief was that your brain heard the music, somehow converted it to run backward in your head, and you subconsciously heard Satan telling you to do all sorts of satanic things. That you of course obeyed.

I never could get a fundie to explain to me exactly how you played an album backwards

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1