IGNORED

Coronavirus Crafting

Becky

One blanket down! I finished the one I was knitting for my friend's baby, due this summer. I'm also well on the way to finishing my son's; it was intended to be done before he was born, but I'll settle for his first birthday (also this summer). I've been dabbling in crochet, making a scrubby dishcloth and a superhero cape for one of my older son's animals. I also finally pulled out the drop spindle I got on a whim at a fiber sale last summer and tried spinning a little. I need practice. A lot of practice.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

13 hours ago, Becky said:

@TeaGrannie, that is charming!  I love the fabric choices.  

Awwww thank you :)

• Love 1

I saw a sweet story about an 8 year old who decided that this was a great time to learn to knit. It reminded me that I keep meaning to teach my daughter to knit, if she's still interested.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/208/knitting-scarves-girl-and-her-neighbor-on-the-boise-bench-the-208/277-8a748df9-adbd-4b99-8334-5d127ca07301

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

Congratulations, @TeaGrannie!  So adorable. A new baby is such a happy, hopeful event, we all need more hope these days.  Thank you for sharing.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

Another quilt, this one a small experimental piece. I had several techniques I have been wanting to try and this little piece is the result. It was fun to make something kind of free-wheeling and low stakes. 

362DCA64-6E4F-411F-89C0-866CD183AB6F.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 14

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, Karma said:

Pics please @Becky

I’m not crafty, but I’m working on doing a history of my mother in laws life.  Every day I’m emailing her a question and she’s sending back her thoughts.  I’ve promised to put it together and into a photobook for her when it’s done.

I'm sorry for the late reply but I just found this forum, I was catching up on family threads and finished the two I was reading so decided to see what else was here and I love this idea! I wish I had done it with my aunt and grandma. I should try with my paternal grandma, my last surviving grandparent.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, calliopecassandra said:

I should try with my paternal grandma

Please do!  

My MIL has slowed up somewhat on her answers, but we are still progressing. She’s up to 1958 when she’d emigrated from England to Australia and is now writing about meeting my late FIL.  I’ve learnt lots about her life and she’s enjoying doing it.  I’m scanning old photos and although it won’t be finished to give to her as a finished photobook for her 85th bday in August, I’ll give her a mock-up version and hopefully it’ll be finished not long afterwards.  

Once the older generation have gone, so too has the opportunity to hear about their lives.  Have a chat to your grandma!

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Karma said:

Once the older generation have gone, so too has the opportunity to hear about their lives.  Have a chat to your grandma!

My mum recorded her dad talking about his life, particularly his war service and migrations. He died in 1989, but my brother has recently transferred the tape recordings to digital so we can share it more easily. I haven't listened to it recently, but my brother did - and was surprised that Grandpa had a noticeable accent, something that we never noticed!

• Love 3

That’s fabulous @Ozlsn.  I tape recorded (3 hours worth) my grandmother talking about her life back in the early 90s. At the time I transcribed it and pasted photos onto the pages and it’s like a book.   I’ve since scanned it, and distributed copies around the family. She died about 27 years ago. It’d be nice to hear her voice again - if I can find a working tape recorder. 

• Love 1

• 3 months later...

I have been learning about drying flowers in silica gel and preserving the flowers in resin. I am having so much fun doing that. Here is a preserved Zinnia. I also do beading.

Zinnia 3  10-17.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 11

I don’t have any good pictures to hand at the moment, but I’ve recently started a new craft project- rag rug making!  I’m doing the Amish knot / toothbrush method.  It’s not super hard to get going, but it does seem like there’s a bit of mastery that will come with some more practice.  ?. I gave the first one I made to my sister to use as a cat bed, and the cat likes it, so I figure so far so good even if it’s not perfect yet!

I think it’s funny, IDK, but I was moved to give rag rugging a chance after it was mentioned in one of the JRod threads- Jill was showing off one of the rugs Nurie made, an FJer whose name escaped me mentioned making rag rugs too, so 8 googled, and now I’m hooked!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post here, I finished Younger's baby blanket (just in time for warm weather!) and started and finished another over the summer for a friend due this past fall. And while I worked on it I muttered about how I wanted a break from baby blankets and that I was doing anything else this fall because if I was working on another baby blanket anytime soon it better be for me... and I'm pretty sure that was the moment my sister-in-law got pregnant. So another baby blanket! And this one senses I'm not thrilled about it because it keeps pulling shenanigans and I may need to order one more stinking ball of yarn. Argh.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

These are my newest coloring projects. I had surgery last week and this seemed to be an easy couch activity. At the beginning of the stay-at-home orders, I ordered myself a set of 120 colored pencils. It has been fun to finally open them and relax.  

D40B7B93-1EEC-4493-9ECE-9F0D56129087.jpeg

A188861C-D4F2-4700-A983-B2F84F3C66CE.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 15

• 3 weeks later...

Completed another quilt, this one for granddaughter's full-size bed.  She chose the fabrics and the simple checkerboard pattern.  It was a bear to machine quilt, my shoulder and upper back muscles got a workout!  Here she is, snuggled under her quilt.  

quilt_green_edited-1.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 17

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up with some old concrete pattern forms after clearing out my in-laws’ house.  I haven’t had the heart to get rid of them and decided to turn a couple into outdoor Christmas ornaments.  Here is one I turned into a wreath.  It’s so gaudy, lol!  I may add more decoration to the middle, but it was a fun project for a dreary morning. 

Spoiler

D62B2023-8281-45F1-804A-42C0606BA0C8.thumb.jpeg.9e78563ad50f493e2c3550f7eeeefaea.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

• 10 months later...

We’ve had such gloomy weather here as we head into winter, and I’ve so enjoyed looking at all the quilt photos posted around FJ, that I couldn’t pass up this puzzle - “The Quilts of Gee’s Bend.”  I’ve been to one or two exhibits of the actual Gee’s Bend quilts and other textile creations.  Extraordinary works.  Anyway, this should lift my spirits a bit as way to pass the time on stormy days. 

Spoiler

286A6969-03A6-45E7-9604-2014BB6FF179.thumb.jpeg.4f04b926b22e338b75b133612b95f8a0.jpeg

• Love 7

• 2 months later...

We’ve been upgrading our masks from cloth to N95 and KN95, and these are a few of what we’ve switched out so far.  I’m thinking of putting these into a quilt, or maybe hanging them as pennants on our patio.  I really need a new project as this pandemic drags on.  

Spoiler

3E9F8B87-7352-45F8-BEB2-777384837E3C.thumb.jpeg.5f722659f0090fc75b22125b4744ea31.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I'm still hanging onto my cloth ones, hoping I can wear them at some point again. I can't remember which free Ginger mentioned them, but I've got nice ones from Stark's vacuums in Portland that are triple layer and quite comfortable to wear with my glasses.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

but I've got nice ones from Stark's vacuums in Portland that are triple layer and quite comfortable to wear with my glasses.

I have a bunch of Stark’s masks in an unopened package that I plan to hold onto.  I’ve become comfortable wearing masks, and like wearing them when it’s frosty out.  It’s amazing how many we’ve accumulated.  They are tucked away in pockets and backpacks, hanging on door handles, scattered in cars, etc.  

• Love 3

• 3 months later...

At the beginning of the pandemic, I bought foodstuffs that I wouldn’t typically have purchased, mostly because I didn’t know what was coming at us.  Now that some of those things are expiring, I’m finally using them.  Here is a combination strawberry cake mix topped with blueberry purée.  I read a recipe for a “poke cake,” and this is what emerged.  Also, the blueberries were picked last summer—another pandemic activity.  I really like the purée—it makes an easy frosting.

Spoiler

7B06A127-1A49-46FC-AF6B-8FB2095AA613.thumb.jpeg.2f248484a22f2aaf58ef165bc3b061c1.jpeg

• Upvote 8