IGNORED

Coronavirus Crafting

Becky

I was self-isolating, but had to go back to my per diem job in veterinary emergency--the hospital was understaffed to begin with, and now if someone has even a minor cold they're out for two weeks. We're being careful (clients are not allowed in the building except for euthanasias, among other measures), but I have to get near clients to take their pets, plus I have to be very close to, even touching, my coworkers. I'm assuming I've been exposed. Obviously, if I show even questionable symptoms I'm putting myself in total quarantine (living alone for the win!), but until and unless I do, I have to work. Heck, I almost made myself go in today because they were crazy busy, and feel bad about saying no even though I had a splitting headache that made moving painful.

Anyway. I think a cloth mask might be more comfortable than the surgical masks we have at work, and would therefore be more likely to actually stay on my face. My sewing skills are lacking, so I was wondering if perhaps one of you awesome sewists might be willing to send a couple my way. I posted a status update to this effect (though that was asking for more of a dust mask--I got the call to go back to work right after I posted that), and figured this thread might be a good place too.  PM me if you're willing to be my supplier.

As for my own craftiness, I shall be picking up my pliers and doing some chainmaille. I haven't mailled in months, ever since I got bitten by a Husky in October--I had an open wound and very limited use of my left hand for over a month--and then had to pack and move. Though I may not have much time, as I'll be working a lot as long as I am healthy enough to do so. I have no projects in mind, and already have far too many necklaces and bracelets and such, but I'll come up with something. Maybe tackle learning Moorish Rose, if I have enough suitable rings on hand.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, K'Z'K said:

As for my own craftiness, I shall be picking up my pliers and doing some chainmaille. I haven't mailled in months, ever since I got bitten by a Husky in October--I had an open wound and very limited use of my left hand for over a month--and then had to pack and move. Though I may not have much time, as I'll be working a lot as long as I am healthy enough to do so. I have no projects in mind, and already have far too many necklaces and bracelets and such, but I'll come up with something. Maybe tackle learning Moorish Rose, if I have enough suitable rings on hand.

Wow, I've only ever seen it at medieval fairs where craftsmen made chainlink armor. I'd never heard of chainmaille before as a hobby, but it seems really fun to do.That Moorish Rose looks awesome! Do you have pics of things you have made before?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Do you have pics of things you have made before?

Indeed I do!

Maille is lots of fun, and really satisfying to go from a pile of rings to a completed object. Some people (mostly armorers) make their own rings, but I buy mine. There are hundreds of weaves (patterns of putting rings together to make units, chains, or sheets). I can be somewhat of a cult recruiter when it comes to maille. Join us . . .

I work mostly in anodized aluminum, as it's colorful, easy to work with, and fairly strong, plus it's inexpensive. For micromaille (tiny rings) I use stainless steel or titanium.

This aardvark picture is an inlay I did last year, using the same weave used in armor (it's called European 4-in-1). 6600 rings. I really should find a way to hang it up.

Spoiler

1864882647_Aardvarkinlay.thumb.jpg.5227529cf85b851f5f8b4b1993e3eb00.jpg

And some of my jewelry:

Spoiler

1546030359_Maillejewelry.thumb.jpg.bfaed2f24786d01480cab157a5a1d46e.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 18

2 minutes ago, K'Z'K said:

Indeed I do!

Maille is lots of fun, and really satisfying to go from a pile of rings to a completed object. Some people (mostly armorers) make their own rings, but I buy mine. There are hundreds of weaves (patterns of putting rings together to make units, chains, or sheets). I can be somewhat of a cult recruiter when it comes to maille. Join us . . .

I work mostly in anodized aluminum, as it's colorful, easy to work with, and fairly strong, plus it's inexpensive. For micromaille (tiny rings) I use stainless steel or titanium.

This aardvark picture is an inlay I did last year, using the same weave used in armor (it's called European 4-in-1). 6600 rings. I really should find a way to hang it up.

Hide contents

1864882647_Aardvarkinlay.thumb.jpg.5227529cf85b851f5f8b4b1993e3eb00.jpg

And some of my jewelry:

Hide contents

1546030359_Maillejewelry.thumb.jpg.bfaed2f24786d01480cab157a5a1d46e.jpg

Oooh, I love the jewellery. I could get hooked on making things like that. I'm one of those weird people who likes doing fiddly stuff. But I have to finish my wizard tower project first... 

• Upvote 2

I wish there was a *gasp* reaction on here, because that is literally what I did when I saw some of your crafts. So wonderful you guys. ?

I'm not a crafty person at all but I've done some coloring during the weekends, does it count? ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

I wish there was a *gasp* reaction on here, because that is literally what I did when I saw some of your crafts. So wonderful you guys. ?

I'm not a crafty person at all but I've done some coloring during the weekends, does it count? ;)

Of course coloring counts! 

We do need pics though :my_biggrin:

• I Agree 2

Ww girl is making masks and yes the hospitals and clinics here are asking for them. So far, we have supplied some lab techs, MRI techs and a nurse we know. We did just divert some to my niece who works at Walgreens because people will not stay home or stay 6 feet from her. If your hospitals aren't taking them yet, the clinics/care homes may be in need. If those aren't, store workers would love them based on the excited yes we got to supply the local walgreens workers.

• Love 3

I've mostly been knitting UFOs, with a foray into crocheting scrubbies. It looks like I'll be making a couple of masks out of beaten-up t-shirts, though; my husband said the CDC is probably going to ask everyone to wear them regardless soon, and it can't hurt to have them on hand anyway. Good thing I already have elastic in the house?

• Upvote 5

I haven't started any new crafts because we're staying at home, but I've definitely been enjoying knitting on the two temperature afghans I started this year. 

I started with a simple garter stitch afghan based on each day's maximum temperature, but after about a week, I decided to also knit a fancier one based on the daily minimum temperature. 

Here are my notes on my "pattern":

Spoiler

IMG_20200413_1403148_rewind_kindlephoto-141745969.thumb.jpg.61c1e5292c599c692dd2e23925d788c7.jpg

I realized that I likely wouldn't get to use the colors for the lowest temperatures, but I wanted to cover my bases. We do get really low temperatures sometimes in winter, if we get the right conditions.

A pic of my maximum temperatures blanket:

Spoiler

IMG_20200413_1402155_rewind.thumb.jpg.3fa28cf12b7f028f26ba4b04748836e6.jpg

I'll try to get a pic of the other one tomorrow. I've only gotten to use 4 different colors on it so far (same temperature scale as the first one), but I like the way it's turning out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 17

1 minute ago, Kailash said:

So happy to see you @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?!!!! That blanket is gorgeous! 

Thank you! I'm afraid it's going to end up being much larger than I planned. I have a habit of going too large when I make my own "pattern". I call the first scarf I ever made "the scarf that ate Boise", because it's ridiculously huge. :pb_wink:

• Haha 13

7 hours ago, Becky said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, that is a very clever knitting idea, I love your afghan!  

You must have a nice yarn stash.  

Thank you! I actually got the idea for a temperature afghan from FJ last fall, when some knitters and crocheters were explaining the concept. I'm using Red Heart Super Saver yarn, because it's the cheap yarn that I have a lot of experience using. (It doesn't have dye lots, so I will get some variation in the colors when I switch skeins.) I will probably run out of the 60 and 70 degree yarns as it warms up, but I think I can get it at Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer when I'm grocery shopping, even if we're still under a stay at home order. 

Here is my pattern for the minimum temperatures:

Spoiler

20200414_131936_kindlephoto-570775396.thumb.jpg.ce1eaaf449a4452426db58501f1b5da4.jpg

And here's what it looks like:

Spoiler

20200414_131821.thumb.jpg.c8b9ee65da066fd199f51aec72c747f1.jpg

I like the combination of medium purple and dark blue. It almost makes me wish we had had more cold nights, so that I could have used the medium purple more. :cold: I guess there's always December of 2020 to look forward to! :pb_lol:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Left out bit
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 9

Okay Coloring fans - this is from an artist I follow on twitter.  He does artwork during the US Big Brother season related to the season.  But he just put out a tweet with I draw it - you color it.

I'm coloring again.  But its a Joanna Basford and they take me a while due to tiny things and I'm using markers and would like to not smear across the page with my hand.

and he has a dog picture

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I made some things. Two are new-to-me weaves. Dunno what the heck I'm gonna do with all this.
I have worn the earrings on the right for going out, where "going out" meant taking a drive and never getting out of the car or interacting with anyone.

Spoiler

1580451419_quarantinejewelry.thumb.jpg.d6e14b0ac0c6837756ab8652e9ba0a75.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 10

@catlady, that reminds me of the time my husband bought a T-shirt from a store at a nearby mall.  It said “Ancient Chinese Proverb” at the top, then three rows of what looked like Asian writing when viewed from left to right, but when read from the top down, said “Fuck This Shit.”  Later , he was stopped by a security guard at the same mall who said “I don’t think you should be wearing this here, it’s inappropriate,” to which he responded, “That’s funny, I bought it here!”

ETA, Similar to this one, but it was white on black:

7167411E-3542-4FA3-9D19-113DFFCEA2FD.gif

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Later , he was stopped by a security guard at the same mall who said “I don’t think you should be wearing this here, it’s inappropriate,” to which he responded, “That’s funny, I bought it here!”

Once we went to a baseball game where they were giving away backpacks inside the stadium as a promotion.  A security guard told us we weren't supposed to bring backpacks into the stadium, lol!  I wonder if the guards figured it out after chastising 10,000+ fans.  ?

I'm enjoying this crafting thread, although my only coronavirus project is currently sprouting seedlings and preparing my garden plot.  The earrings a couple posts up are amazing. 

• Upvote 5

I finally finished a coloring project. Joanna Basford, lost ocean and staedler triplus fineliners

Spoiler

IMG_20200426_124020.thumb.jpg.f20bba37ec86b54993f95931d279f5ea.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 11

Baby quilt done- before baby is born, which is a first for me! It is sideways, I could not figure out how to rotate the uploaded image. It is supposed to be Bug Jars. It has kept me busy. BC922A57-D9F0-457A-984D-6A1850963B84.jpeg.4f554d3eba35273cb08dad5913e8a90f.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Love 20

I just finished a quilt for our grandson who will be here Friday. 

8A7319E0-A319-43EA-9FBC-D5ECD8A7F917.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 16