IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 3: Locked Down

GreyhoundFan

4 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Yes we choose to ascribe all those who died with the coronavirus as death because of the virus, part of the reson is that yes people where already sick before catching the virus but they was stable, or at least they was manging their illness, the virus has been like the final push who overcome the sistem/body and cause the death, instead other countries as Germany have choose to just declare as virus death those who died because of the virus. I see the validity of both the ways, but I think is better to ascribe all the death caused by the virus even those who where already hill like oncologic patients because who can say if they would have survived without the virus? Maybe they will have lived for another 3, 4, 5 months maybe a year who knows? 

I absolutely agree! I would prefer other countries to use your method too. It seems so ... random to just exclude some of the most vulnerable parts of the population from the death count. There’s no way that the German way of counting deaths is accurate, tbh. Our healthcare is good, but not as good as those numbers make it look.

• Upvote 6

The Olympics being postponed is a good decision but with a Swedish world record holder in pole vault we are of course  a little disappointed because we rarely have world record holders but we don't want people to be killed. Hopefully he is as good next year. 

Now regulations for restaurants have been made stricter so that people can only be served at a table and not a bar or do dancing and such. Buffets are OK if the owner can make sure that people do not line up too closely etc. and take out or delivery can happen as usual. Ski resorts will not be closed but all unnecessary travel within the country is discouraged in particular visiting anyone over 70. They ask that we further restrict social contact if possible even to those younger and use video calls etc. instead of face to face meetings. 

36 is the new death rate (33 yesterday but some sites show 9 deaths as having happened today but that is incorrect, 3 is correct). My region does not have any more registered cases so far today and the increase is still smaller in Stockholm than expected but still, they have over 900 known cases when the whole country have just over 2000 so it is clearly the most affected region. I am still glad that the numbers are smaller than expected but the numbers we do have are still pretty scary. I know things are worse in other places but still, I don't want this shit at all.

Good personal news, I got a doctor to prescribe asthma medicine without doing a real check up so I didn't have to go there and risk exposure for corona virus. I have already had a bad cold so I don't want corona with these very distressed lungs and air ways so I am hoping for fast recovery.

• Upvote 6

FYI on the Kansas map - the two letter indicators make sense to Kansans.  Those are the letters on license plates.  (Which they tried to do away with but there was upset so they returned - while I don't know some of the Western KS or north central etc - I know a lot of the eastern KS/Wichita area ones.)

and Columbia/Boone County MO is to Stay at home starting 8am Wednesday.  (personal prediction here - we'll see some of the surrounding counties follow suit and due to the Governor's behavior I'm praying that Cole County (Jefferson City  aka the state capital) is one of them.

• Upvote 2

"White House agrees to allow oversight of huge coronavirus loan program as $2 trillion Senate deal nears"

Spoiler

The White House has agreed to allow enhanced scrutiny over a massive loan program that is a centerpiece of the Senate’s $2 trillion coronavirus economic package, two people briefed on the discussions said, taking steps to address a major Democratic concern and potentially pave the way for a vote by Tuesday night.

“I think there is real optimism that we could get something done in the next few hours,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Tuesday morning on CNBC. The stock market rose sharply in anticipation of the deal, with the Dow Jones industrial average up more than 1,200 points, or nearly 7 percent, at the open.

The Senate bill would allow the Treasury Department to extend $500 billion in loans and loan guarantees to try to blunt the novel virus’s economic impact. Of that amount, $425 billion is supposed to go to businesses, cities and states. Another $50 billion would go to passenger airlines, $8 billion more for cargo airlines, and an additional $17 billion would be directed for firms that are deemed important to national security.

President Trump has already said where he wants some of the money to go, promising assistance to cruise ship companies, for example, that have operations in Miami. And when he was asked Monday evening who would perform oversight of the program, Trump responded “I’ll be the oversight.”

But during closed-door negotiations on Capitol Hill, White House officials have agreed to allow an independent inspector general and an oversight board to scrutinize the lending decisions, said the two people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the status of deliberations.

The most recent precedent for this is the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program that was created during the 2008 financial crisis. To oversee TARP, Congress created an independent inspector general, a regulatory oversight board and a congressional oversight panel. Over the course of several years, investigations uncovered numerous cases of fraud at large and small companies as firms sought to obtain taxpayer money through various programs.

The precise oversight structure for the new lending program could not be determined, and it was also unclear whether the oversight structure would be as robust as what was created during TARP. By Monday evening, a number of Republicans were on board with making changes to win Democratic support.

“Could we have more transparency on this federal facility program? Sure, absolutely, I would be very supportive,” Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) said on a Senate floor speech Monday night.

The concession came as Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) negotiated until nearly midnight on Monday at the Capitol, updating Trump frequently and sounding more optimistic than they have through days of rocky talks.

Schumer said late Monday that the goal was to finalize the sprawling legislation on Tuesday and vote on it in the evening. In addition to the huge lending program for industries, the legislation would send $1,200 checks to many individual Americans, set up a $350 billion loan program for small businesses, expand the unemployment insurance program, and pump more than $100 billion toward hospitals, among a host of provisions.

Details remained fluid and people involved cautioned that they could change and everything was subject to review by senators and administration officials before any final deal could be announced. Mnuchin and White House legislative affairs director Eric Ueland returned to Capitol Hill on Tuesday morning to try to finalize the agreement.

Mnuchin told reporters that a “small number of issues” needed to be wrapped up, but, he added, “we are looking forward to closing a bipartisan deal today.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) left the Capitol earlier in the night Monday, before the talks between Schumer and Mnuchin wrapped up, but Mnuchin said they had been in touch.

Even as the talks between Schumer and Mnuchin were underway at the Capitol late Monday, Trump tweeted a warning to Republicans that appeared aimed at a separate bill unveiled Monday by Pelosi that includes a number of provisions that would be non-starters for Republicans, such as requiring a $15 minimum wage for any industries and airlines helped by the legislation.

“Republicans had a deal until Nancy Pelosi rode into town from her extended vacation. The Democrats want the Virus to win? They are asking for things that have nothing to do with our great workers or companies. They want Open Borders & Green New Deal. Republicans shouldn’t agree!” Trump wrote on Twitter late Monday.

Asked about Trump’s tweet, Mnuchin said: “I think the President was commenting on a lot of the issues that the House has added in that they’d like to have.”

All parties would like to act swiftly, so if the Senate is able to pass a bipartisan package quickly the expectation is that the House would follow suit, setting aside Pelosi’s legislation and approving the Senate bill.

The House of Representatives is currently out of session, and chances that House members would return en masse to Washington to vote appeared increasingly remote. Democratic aides said they were optimistic that a strong bipartisan Senate vote would make it possible to pass the bill by unanimous consent in the House — a process requiring only two members present in the House chamber. But that would require every lawmaker to agree — a tall order for a potential $2 trillion bill touching every part of the U.S. economy.

A report releases late Monday by House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said unanimous consent is “by far the best option” for passing legislation during the pandemic emergency. Creating a remote voting system, as scores of members have suggested, was not feasible, the report concluded, and suggested a system of proxy voting as an alternative — whereby members could formally allow other members present in the chamber to cast their votes for them.

“While remote voting deserves ... thoughtful study, to create a secure, reliable, and user-friendly system while in the midst of a crisis is not realistic,” the report said.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

I have mixed feelings about Manchin, but I agree with him on this:

• Upvote 9

I'd ask these asses who are advocating killing old and sick people how they'd feel if it was their mother or wife or child, but I forgot that they don't care about anything except: 1) Wall Street 2) Unborn baybeez 3) Guns:

• Upvote 6
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 7
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

32 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'd ask these asses who are advocating killing old and sick people how they'd feel if it was their mother or wife or child, but I forgot that they don't care about anything except: 1) Wall Street 2) Unborn baybeez 3) Guns:

My husband commented that people like Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (TX) would be the first in line to demand a ventilator at their local hospital.  ?

ETA on another subject:  My sister, who works for a bank, just received an "official" letter to keep on her at all times during the state lockdown.  She is considered essential, so this letter will keep her from getting arrested as she travels about in her daily job.  A few days ago, she reported there was a "mini run" on her bank as people were fearful they could not get to their funds.  Imagine a lobby full of potentially infectious people, yikes!  Anyway, their bank lobby is now shut down, but the drive-through is currently open, plus they are encouraging people to use debit cards, remote banking functions, etc.  Interesting times.

Edited by CTRLZero
Another tidbit of info.
  • Upvote 7

Truth:

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Twitler is at the bottom of the "unfortunate" side of the bell curve:

image.png.372b73ce4729a6ec528382c984e36ced.png

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Because Twitler is a Twitler:

• Upvote 11

Click this and go to the thread.  Quinn's daughter dissected this one.

And the math:

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

I have my phone set to block all callers not on my contact list. I'd definitely block the Mango Manboy, especially if he was calling me late at night:

• Upvote 7

Looks like they forgot to send someone the talking points.

And former Health and Human Services Secretary (and Former KS Governor) Sebelius has some things to say regarding pandemic management

• Upvote 5

GOP Senators (From the middle of the country) want the moron in charge to listen to medical professionals:

21 min ago

GOP senators urge Trump to listen to medical professionals before reopening economy

From CNN's Manu Raju

Republican senators told CNN that President Trump should listen to medical professionals before opening up economy.

Here's what they're saying:

Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst: “I think we need to be very cautious about that I want to make sure that we are putting the safety health and well-beings of Iowans, Americans, first. I think we do need to follow CDC guidelines and watch what our experts are saying. I would love to see the economy up and going as soon as possible, but lets make sure we’re taking care of people first.”

Nebraska Sen. Deb Fischer: “I believe that we should be following the advice of medical professionals, we are able to see some help in the future I think this net week is going to be tough, hopefully I will be back in my state, we have 60 or I think 62 cases right now, I anticipate that is going to continue to grow, and we should be listening to medical professionals.”

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I have my phone set to block all callers not on my contact list. I'd definitely block the Mango Manboy, especially if he was calling me late at night:

Someone from the WH, didn't say who, called Gov Pritzker in the middle of the night to scream at him for criticizing the president.  Glad they're handling this so professionally.

Idk how to properly share from twitter, but this is from Cuomo

Andrew Cuomo

@NYGovCuomo

·

2h

My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable. We will not put a dollar figure on human life. We can have a public health strategy that is consistent with an economic one. No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

What a real leader sounds like:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Another example of leadership:

• Upvote 13
  • Love 5

Just now, GreyhoundFan said:

Another example of leadership:

Before this the only thing I knew about him was he was married to (or living with) Sandra Lee of the crappy food fame.  

Now, I may be falling in love with him.  I know it's some kind of stress syndrome, but his competency and kindness keeps making me cry.

• Upvote 9

"Trump says he wants the country 'opened up and just raring to go by Easter,' despite health experts' warnings"

Spoiler

(CNN)President Donald Trump says he wants the nation "opened up and just raring to go by Easter" -- a date just more than two weeks away that few health experts believe will be sufficient in containing the spread of coronavirus.

Speaking during a Fox News town hall on Tuesday, Trump reiterated he was eager to see the nation return to normal soon, even as doctors warn the nation will see a massive spike in cases if Americans return to crowded workplaces or events.

"I give it two weeks," Trump said earlier in the town hall, suggesting he was ready to phase out his 15-day self-isolating guidelines when they expire. "I guess by Monday or Tuesday, it's about two weeks. We will assess at that time and give it more time if we need a little more time. We have to open this country up."

But Trump said Monday that the health experts on his task force do not necessarily agree with his hope for a quick return to their jobs to boost the economy. Some Republicans on Capitol Hill, including Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa and Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, are also sounding the alarm.

"There will be no normally functioning economy if our hospitals are overwhelmed and thousands of Americans of all ages, including our doctors and nurses, lay dying because we have failed to do what's necessary to stop the virus," Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, tweeted Tuesday.

Trump's new Easter goal -- to have the country back to normal by Sunday, April 12 -- came hours after the New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that the state is expecting a height of coronavirus infections to come in two to three weeks.

Dr. Deborah Birx, who serves as the White House coronavirus coordinator, was asked during the town hall whether she thinks an Easter deadline is realistic.

"A lot of what we've done is tackle this epidemic the way people said we should have tackled the flu in 1918," Birx responded, adding that the President has asked the task force to use these two weeks "to get all the data from around the country."

She also reasserted that "every American needs to continue the President's guidelines for these next six or seven days."

Despite announcing the new guidelines under the banner "The President's Coronavirus Guidelines for America," Trump seemed to distance himself from the practices during the town hall.

"Somehow, the word got out that this is the thing we are supposed to be doing," he said, noting the country had "never done a thing like this before."

"But we had to do it. It's been very painful for our country and very destabilizing," he said.

As his advisers prepare options for returning the country to work, Trump suggested that Americans would still be able to exercise good health practices while still returning to normal.

"We have to go back to work much sooner than people thought," he said.

Trump again compared coronavirus to the flu and auto accidents, despite warnings from his health advisers that such analogies make little sense.

"We lose thousands and thousands of people to the flu. We don't turn the country off," he said, adding: "We lose much more than that to automobile accidents."

Last week, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases, said comparing coronavirus to auto accidents was a "false equivalency" and said it was important to "face the fact" that coronavirus is more lethal than the flu.

You know, when my coworkers say they want something that is unrealistic, my reply is, "yeah, well I want several million dollars and George Clooney." That shuts them up. Unfortunately, getting Twitler to shut up is impossible.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic