IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 3: Locked Down

GreyhoundFan

Sweden is at 110 deaths and around 3700 known cases. The reports are that the high numbers of admissions to the ICU in particular in Stockholm has slowed down these last two days which is great even if it is not permanent since every day with less pressure is great for the staff etc. I am still scared by that increase of cases and deaths last week but I am glad for every person who makes it out of ICU and hospital and for all the hard work the hospital staff in every single country I have heard of is doing. They are really doing all they can for people and that is so great!

MIL has been a bit sad and bored by not being allowed to go outside much due to being 80 years old so she has talked a lot with us on the phone and I suggested that she should try to for example take a drive with the car and not stop somewhere if things are too lonely and that she keeps being outdoors in her garden and take walks around the block (the latter is allowed and even encouraged as long as you stay away from crowds and she lives in a village that is so small they would have to get people from the other villages around to even make a crowd normally and even less people are out now). I am going to try to send her some pictures and drawings from the kids to make her less lonely. She was very happy to talk to both kids yesterday. Sadly she is very bad with technology, otherwise I would have tried to get her to see them using skype. 

My area now has 47 cases and 5 of those are in the ICU. So far we do not have any deaths. It still doesn't feel scary especially since the development so far has been very slow with only a few cases at the time and still with some days without a known case. Certain areas of Sweden have more or less perfect flat curves while others like Stockholm have much steeper ones. How will things turn out? No one knows and we just need to accept that. 

I hope Italy will keep having positive signs in their development and that the death rates can drop now soon too. I am trying to keep up with most countries as much as I can but I realize that this might soon have to be put on the backburner for my own sake. I am giving this crap too much thought and my brain will need rest soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Gee, I bet red states aren't getting broken equipment:

• Upvote 8

DeSantis is taking a page from Twitler's playbook:

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 4

North Carolina's Dare County  (Outer Banks) has closed down the county by setting up road blocks and allowing only local residents and essential employees to go in. 

Outer Banks blocking roads, refusing to allow outsiders amid coronavirus outbreak

Moab, Utah, (a town of 5,000 people in east central Utah with around a million visitors a year) and Grand, Emory and Carbon counties (Utah) on Tuesday issued an order that stopped all new hotel reservations and blocked all camping on state or private land to anyone who is not a local resident. The local Bureau of Land Management office (Federal) is closing their campgrounds. 

Moab has 17 hospital beds, two ventilators and the closest regional hospital is in Grand Junction over 90 minutes away.   However, Arches National Park, on the outskirts of Moab, closed down the visitor center and bookstore, left the entrance station unattended but was still allowing visitors.  Last weekend, 700 cars entered the park.  Local health officers wrote letters to the park service begging them to close down Canyonlands and Arches National Parks and Natural Bridges and Hovenweep National Monuments. The park service finally responded and closed down all four yesterday, Saturday, March 28. 

Small tourist communities and communities with a large number 2nd home owners want people to stay the hell away.  They have extremely limited medical resources and don't want COVID 19 refugees. 

26 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

DeSantis is taking a page from Twitler's playbook:

According to Rick Wilson, Florida has some of the most rigorous open meetings laws in the US.  This blatantly autocratic dick move was likely illegal. 

De Santis should be sweating bullets for not closing the beaches during Spring Break and not closing them now; his state is paying the price. 

Florida has a huge population of elderly residents. When wealthy Floridians start getting COVID 19 and some inevitably die, Trump may start to lose some fans. 

However, right now Florida is being flooded with ventilators; Blue States not so much. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8

February 7, long after this sham administration was warned that covid-19 would be a major problem in the US...

I guess Xi must have given Twitler a friendship bracelet or something.

• WTF 5
  • Thank You 2

This series of tweets tells you what Trump thinks is the most important part of his presiduncy: the ratings. He does not care about the work, he does not care about the pandemic, he certainly does not care about the people. All he cares about are his ratings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 10
  • WTF 4

31 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

This series of tweets tells you what Trump thinks is the most important part of his presiduncy: the ratings. He does not care about the work, he does not care about the pandemic, he certainly does not care about the people. All he cares about are his ratings. 

We are watching for Fauchi, dumbass, and to see what kind of obstacles you're throwing in the way of progress.

I have no words to express the contempt I have for him.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

Agreed it’s about Fauci and at least for me, I miss the surgeon general because he’d stand there. With a 1000 mile stare the entire time unless it was his turn to speak.  I watch him to see if he ever breaks.

• Upvote 5

Tried to watch and had to turn it off.  There are moments where this thing is so surreal to me and listening to him speak makes it so much worse.

I've been talking to people IRL who are following the social distancing, but they think the whole thing is blown out of proportion.   I had to go into work for an hour on Friday and the people there clearly think those of us working from home are being silly and/or lazy and going about business as usual.

I've decided to stay home until the governor lifts the shelter in place order - I don't want the guilt if I were to be inadvertently part of the spread.  

Just having a bad day mentally with all of this.  

ETA on the lighter side I had to go to Target as I broke my keyboard and need one to work tomorrow and saw a couple in their late 40s - early 50s in the toy aisle.  He wanted a Nerf gun and she said no and they were low key arguing about it.  One of those moments that make me very glad to be single.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Love 13

I took a walk today.  Hadn't been out in a week and a half.

Plan to grocery shop tomorrow since all my best efforts 3-5 weeks ago just weren't enough.  Had a virtual visit with my doctor and she gave me the rules.  I'll be masked, gloved, will sanitize packaging, and also shower and wash my clothes when I get home.  She wanted me doing the senior hours at the store but I'm not quite 60 and the store I called said they're fucking checking IDs.  Not 60, not getting in.  This was after I told them I also have chronic medical issues and could bring a doctor's note.  A certain WF will be seeing a lot less of me once this is all over (if I live that long).  I tried calling their corporate number to double-check/complain but gave up after about half an hour on hold.

• Upvote 6

Fortunately for me it was a corporate ordered work from home if possible.  So no weird pressure.  I will need to go to the office for a short period of time late this coming week or early the week after due to a printing and scanning heavy quarter end duty that Will be a pain in the neck from home. 

I’ve avoided the daily press her for the last several days mainly because the moron in charge makes me all screamy 

• Upvote 7

I don’t remember which thread we discussed Falwell jr but, this has happened 

• Upvote 10

For American FJers: has anyone filed for payment of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, or know anyone who has? Or has that part of the bill not been ironed out yet?

Update from Europe and around the world:

• The number of ICU cases in the Netherlands is now above 1000. The plan is to increase the number of ICU beds to 1600 by Wednesday -- this includes 575 non-corona patients that need ICU care.
    Many patients in the ICU are obese, confirming that being too overweight is an important risk factor to becoming seriously ill with Covid-19. However, experts warn against starting crash diets, as dieting may cause one to not consume enough important nutrients  to build up ones immune system. 
    There have been 771 reported corona deaths, and with 1104 new confirmed cases the total is now 10.866. This is not a reflection of reality though, as there is a lag in reporting.
  • Spain has had 838 new corona deaths in one day, the highest number up til now. Their total number of deaths is 6528, the total number of confirmed cases was 78.787 on Saturday.
  • Belgium has a total of 431 corona deaths; 4138 patients have been hospitalised, with 867 of them in the ICU
  • There are 66 new corona deaths in Germany, and 4750 new cases, bringing the total of cases to 57.298.
  • Airline company EasyJet has cancelled all of their flights, citing unparalleled travel restrictions and the instalment of lockdowns in many European countries.
  • Curaçao has gone into lockdown. Up til now the island had a curfew, but it wasn't enough to stop the spread of the virus. Violation of the lockdown can lead to fines. The island has 11 confirmed cases, 9 of which came from abroad, but it seems 2 people were infected on the island. The lockdown is meant to prevent an outbreak.
  • The number of reported cases in China is still decreasing, and China is now no longer considered an epicentre of the virus. In total (up til now) 81.470 people were infected, 75.000 of which have been cured.  Italy has almost 100.000 confirmed cases, America has 142.000 confirmed cases, making them both epicentres now. 
  • Twitter has removed two of Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro's videos, as they are spreading disinformation about the virus and increasing the risk of the spread of Covid-19. In the video's Bolsonaro is critical of corona measures and he is blatantly ignoring his own governments self-isolation rules.
  • British airline personnel have been asked by the government to aid in emergency hospitals. Britain is expecting a fast rise in the number of patients needing hospitalised care. With oversight and after a short training, airline personnel could aid healthcare workers. The airlines would pay their salaries. Britain has almost 20.000 confirmed cases. They expect corona measures in some form or other will be in place for at least six months, maybe even longer.
  • @47of74, you'll like this one! Beer brewery Bavaria is going to produce a disinfectant spray. The brewery will collect old beer tanks from closed establishments. Alcohol will be extracted from this old beer, which will be used to make a disinfectant spray which it will donate to hospitals, doctors offices and care facilities.
  • Frustratingly, many of the 600.00 face masks donated by China to the Netherlands have turned out to be defective and unusable.

Personal news:

I've sprained my back, again. Which totally bums me out, because it's my own stupid fault for not doing my exercises often enough. And I was an idiot for turning and lifting something in the same movement, which is a big no-no -- and something in my back popped. So I can't sit at all, and can only stand still for short periods. This isn't the first time this has happened, and thankfully I know what to do to 'fix' it (intermittent exercises, bedrest and painkillers), but I'm pretty angry with myself because it's entirely preventable and I'm rendered pretty useless for the time being.

Anywho, I'll survive. 

There are now 27 confirmed cases in my town, 11 where my parents live, and 38 where my son and DIL live. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 14

This is what Australia's part of the pandemic looks like at the moment (graphs from here.):

Spoiler

Cases by state, broken down by how the virus was transmitted. 

covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-state-and-source-of-transmission-covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-state-and-source-of-transmission_6.thumb.png.e692eb7c28c1c1618a1b05e72bafcc5a.png

Spoiler

New and cumulative confirmed cases. This is going to jump shortly as more testing gets rolled out.

new-and-cumulative-covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-notification-date_4.thumb.png.6c82e59d3e1f6f222693f4e856f8c861.png

Spoiler

Cases by age and gender. Median is 47, range is 8-88 years at present.

covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-gender-and-age_6.thumb.png.de2f994e7a80e3dc1bce9c505c058c0f.png

Spoiler

I found this interesting - I would have expected more from SE Asia, and China to have its own, but segment. But nope, Europe, America... And cruise ships. 

covid-19-cases-acquired-overseas-by-region-or-country-acquired-covid-19-cases-acquired-overseas---by-region-or-country-acquired_5.thumb.png.5b2a02385cda785df40332f34695d0df.png

We've locked down further, and are down to non-related gatherings of two people only (unless getting married or at a funeral, or at work), and staying home as much as possible. It's school holidays here, lovely weather, and so huge numbers of people have headed off on holidays - because self-isolating in a caravan park on the foreshore is really going to work. Various communities are pleading with them to either totally isolate or go home. No, still have people who really don't think that they personally are at risk - or that they could be putting other people at risk.

• Thank You 7

Samaratan’s Purse is helping to build a field hospital in the park across from Cedars in NYC.  

• Upvote 9

I can't believe that Faux actually cut out Dear Leader's ramblings. I hope they continue to do so.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I can't believe that Faux actually cut out Dear Leader's ramblings. I hope they continue to do so.

They simply have to. His rants are absolutely detrimental to the already fragile image of his 'leadership' during the pandemic, and they know it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

They simply have to. His rants are absolutely detrimental to the already fragile image of his 'leadership' during the pandemic, and they know it. 

A journalist with connections to Fox insiders says that Fox heads are getting nervous that they may be sued and found legally liable for the outrageous disinformation (Hoax! Nothing to see here, Move along!) they were spewing up until a few weeks ago.  That they cut off Trump mid-blather is YUGE

I wonder if these idiot mega churches holding filled Sunday services might also be legally liable. Probably not, because sincerely held religious belief that believers (and most importantly, tithe-ers) are immune from The 'Rona. 

Also, last week: Don't let the cure be worse than the illness! We'll be open for business by Easter.  Easter is so beautiful.  It's the best holiday! The biggest!  And fluffy bunnies. We'll resurrect, just like Jesus. You know Jesus.  The biggest Christian, the best biggest Christian. Besides me, of course. 

Anthony Fauci today: social distance until April 30! 

• Upvote 9

The government is funding a massive effort to further education for adults due to the number of people at risk of losing their jobs even if this pandemic is not as long as it is feared to be. There are efforts for now and for the future and for me who works in adult education this is of course encouraging for my work situation in these dire time so good for my future and for the people who might not have a job to go. Benefits after losing a job will now also be easier to qualify for. 

146 people have died (not all today but there was some late reporting during this weekend) and around 4000 known cases. My region is at 50 cases. The neighboring region got another death while ours is still free of them. Stockholm is the most heavily affected region but now the spread is growing into neighboring areas much more than it is growing in the more densely populated areas of the south. More hospital beds are made with a military hospital starting to admit patients soon as well and this can be expanded quite a lot from what they have now. 

A 26 year old woman died from covid this weekend which made the headlines. Sweden still has an unexplained high number of men in emergency care. They initially thought it was a statistical quirk but it has persisted even with more cases. It may still be something that disappears over time but otherwise we might have something in our population that gives a slightly different pattern from other countries. Deaths are more similar to the other countries with slightly more men than women and mostly old people dying. 

My work place is now going to work from home only even in my town despite the low number of cases (and it is 50 for the region, not necessarily all in my town) so I will now mostly work from home. My boss said that working from work may be OK once or twice a week but they really want those that can stay home to do so. I hate working from home but if I have to, I have to so I will do my best and if I can't stand it I will go to work at least for a couple hours. Given this order there will be less people there so very much a decreased risk of being infected anyway. 

• Upvote 4

This just crossed my mind, relative to some pastors who insist on holding services.  We're back to narcissists.  At least some of these guys are narcissists and church services are the equivalent of Trump's rallies -- they have a desperate need to top off their narcissistic supply. 

Trump has transitioned to his daily presser where he can brag about his numbers, but I suspect that it's not like seeing the cheering section of paid actors at his rallies. 

4 minutes ago, elliha said:

Sweden still has an unexplained high number of men in emergency care. They initially thought it was a statistical quirk but it has persisted even with more cases.

Apparently it's an emerging pattern with CV 19 - more men get sick and tend to get sicker than women.  

• Upvote 10

31 minutes ago, Howl said:

Apparently it's an emerging pattern with CV 19 - more men get sick and tend to get sicker than women.  

I know that there is some over representation but we have much more than most countries apparently.

some very good news today we are down to 1648 new cases!! so a total of 4050 when up to yesterday we had like 3800 new infection and so the total of the cases with death and recovered was around 6000

after 10 days we could say that we area definitely over the peack! yeah 

We will renew the quarantine at the 3 of april for another 15 days, but we will probably start to reopen some buisness around Easter

this is the link to the graphics  https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/en/

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic