IGNORED

2020 Presidential Election 3: We're Down To Old White Men...And Fucking Kanye.

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Sen Amy Klobuchar was my choice for VP but since she voluntarily took her self out of the running due to being unfairly blamed for Derek Chauvin killing George Floyd here are my choices in order of preference:

1. Sen Tammy Duckworth.  She also served in the House of Representatives and was a Lt. Colonel in the Army losing both legs in Iraq.  I think Tammy would help get a lot of the military and veteran vote which has always been a problem for the Democrats.  She's been my hero ever since she crowned Bunker Bitch with the name Cadet Bone Spurs.  

2. Sen Kamala Harris.  She's got the experience, intelligence and chops to be a POTUS.  One thing that bothered me about her was during the Kavanaugh hearings she and Corey Booker walked out during a hearing.  Grassley was being an ass as usual but I felt it was unprofessional for them to do that.  She would be my choice for AG.

3. Rep Val Demings.  Did a great job during the impeachment saga but that's all I really know about her.

4. Susan Rice.  Lots of foreign policy experience but how is she on domestic matters...health care, education, jobs, taxes.  Hope she ends up as Sec of State if not VP.

5. Gov Gretchen Whitmer.  I like the fact that she has executive experience as Gov and I thought she has handled the pandemic well but her approval rating in MI is not so good.  If Biden picks her that could cost him Michigan.

I really hope he does not pick Whitmer. Michigan needs her and all conservatives would never shut up about being right about the motive for how she handled the pandemic being ambition for being V.P.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I think tiktok and k-pop teens could have a field day wasting twitler-adjacent money...

image.png.af5baac1daa8d4b2db8e2450f9b20a9e.png

Hmmm.... Do I sense some MAGA fires spreading across the US?

• Upvote 3

Major investigation into Joe Biden, Burisma, Ukraine and China connections, or something similar, is my guess.

• Upvote 5

White women are defecting from Fuckopotomus

Donald Trump’s 2016 election win may have been propelled by white working-class men, but another key group in that narrowest of victories was white women with college degrees.

After heavily favoring Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, enough of these voters broke ranks to help Trump over the line, tipping the balance in crucial states in the midwest and elsewhere.

In 2020, however, after four years of tumult, there are signs that Trump has not managed to hang on to that constituency.

“I really failed my fellow American citizens,” said Claudia Luckenbach-Boman. “I’m extremely disappointed in myself, and sometimes I am really afraid to talk about it.

I take a very G'Kar like attitude about these women...

Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead plus over 150,000 more...how do you apologize to them ladies? 

If you guessed that you can't and that it'll be a long time if ever before I can forgive you that's fornicating right.

• Upvote 2

Ok dear. We'll judge Trump in the same way.

• Upvote 5

Trump's logics are rubbing off on him.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 6:33 PM, Smee said:

When we had our last federal election, thousands (probably millions) of Australians got the following text:

8FFE6C93-F850-4C95-8D0C-42C69AF9DB0C.jpeg
Politics can be such a farce.

I just looked up this party , and here is what I found out .  

Half a world from the White House, another big-talking billionaire wants to make his country great again.

Clive Palmer, who made his fortune in mining, is running for the Senate on his right-of-center United Australia Party ticket. Billboards of his smiling face and raised thumbs are spread across the country in advance of next month’s election...  Palmer turned to politics after collecting assets across Australia and his advertising blitz threatens to eclipse the government and Labor. Hundreds of yellow “Make Australia Great” billboards have popped up across the country, while advertisements have flooded television screens. He wants to run candidates in all 151 lower house seats.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-25/the-brash-billionaire-who-wants-to-make-australia-great-again  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Palmer's_United_Australia_Party

• Thank You 3

"Republicans Aid Kanye West’s Bid to Get on the 2020 Ballot"

Spoiler

The effort to get Kanye West on the ballot as a third-party candidate in several states is increasingly looking like an operation run by President Trump’s allies and Republican activists that is aimed at diverting votes from Joseph R. Biden Jr.

The move, which comes as Mr. West’s wife, Kim Kardashian West, has said her husband is struggling with mental illness, underscores that this will be an unusual, and unusually bare-knuckled, presidential election.

The strategy became overt on Tuesday, when Lane Ruhland, a lawyer who has worked for the Trump campaign, delivered ballot signatures to Wisconsin elections officials on behalf of the West campaign.

Ms. Ruhland worked for the state Republican Party during Wisconsin’s recount in the 2016 presidential election. She has been representing the Trump campaign in a lawsuit filed this year against a Wisconsin television station for airing an advertisement criticizing the president’s coronavirus response.

A spokesman for the law firm where Ms. Ruhland works, Husch Blackwell, said she was unavailable for comment.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also reported that at least five other people connected to Mr. West’s Wisconsin bid are active in the Republican Party or are Trump supporters.

Tim Murtaugh, a Trump campaign spokesman, said there was no legal conflict with a Trump campaign lawyer’s involvement in the West operation. “We have no knowledge of anything Kanye West is doing or who is doing it for him,” Mr. Murtaugh said.

Several other people active in the party are connected to Mr. West’s candidacy. One operative, Mark Jacoby, is an executive at a company called Let the Voters Decide, which has been collecting signatures for the West campaign in Ohio, West Virginia and Arkansas. Mr. Jacoby was arrested on voter fraud charges in 2008 while he was doing work for the California Republican Party, and he later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.

Mr. Jacoby, in a statement, said his company was nonpartisan and worked for all political parties. “We do not comment on any current clients, but like all Americans, anyone who is qualified to stand for election has the right to run,” he said.

On Wednesday, Vice reported that a Republican operative in Colorado, Rachel George, was helping Mr. West get on the ballot there. She did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

New York Magazine reported Monday evening on the campaign’s links to two other people with partisan ties. One is Gregg Keller, the former executive director of the American Conservative Union, who has been listed as a contact for the campaign in Arkansas. Mr. Keller, who did not respond to a message seeking comment, is a Missouri-based strategist. He was under consideration to be Mr. Trump’s campaign manager in 2015, a role that was ultimately filled by Corey Lewandowski, according to a former campaign official.

Another person linked to the West campaign is Chuck Wilton, who is listed as a convention delegate for Mr. Trump from Vermont and as an elector with the West operation who could potentially cast an Electoral College vote for Mr. West. Mr. Wilton could not be reached. He and his wife, Wendy, a Trump appointee at the United States Department of Agriculture, have been political supporters of the president. She hung up immediately when called at her office.

The nature of the financial relationships between the West campaign and the operatives, if any, was not immediately clear.

Mr. West missed the deadline to get on the ballot in many states, but could serve as a spoiler in others, including battlegrounds like Wisconsin and Ohio, where signatures were filed on his behalf on Wednesday. Mr. Trump himself suggested last month that Mr. West could siphon votes from Mr. Biden, who has clinched the Democratic nomination.

Republicans seemed upbeat about his entry into the race.

“It appears that the Kanye West campaign made a smart decision by hiring an experienced election attorney,” said Alesha Guenther, a spokeswoman for the Wisconsin state Republican Party, after Ms. Ruhland dropped off the ballot signatures. “We welcome Kanye West and all other candidates who qualified for ballot access to the race.”

Mr. West was until recently a fervent supporter of Mr. Trump and said they shared a “dragon energy,” but he declared early last month that he would run for president himself.

Mr. West developed a relationship with Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, after Ms. Kardashian West worked with Mr. Trump on criminal justice reform efforts. Mr. Kushner declined to comment, but a person close to him said that while Mr. West had periodically reached out to him, Mr. Kushner hadn’t been stoking a run to divert votes away from Mr. Biden.

Soon after Mr. West’s announcement, he explained that he was going to use a Wakanda-like management approach, referring to the fictional country from “Black Panther.” His running mate, Michelle Tidball, is a self-described “biblical life coach” based in Cody, Wyo., where the Wests have a ranch. Ms. Tidball, according to TMZ, once advocated making beds and doing dishes as a way to treat mental illness.

During an appearance in South Carolina last month, Mr. West broke down crying. He later tweeted that Ms. Kardashian West “tried to bring a doctor to lock me up.” Amid his erratic behavior, his wife has spoken out about her husband’s struggles with mental illness, and Mr. West has publicly apologized to his wife for some of his comments.

A spokeswoman for Mr. West referred questions to the campaign, which did not respond to requests for comment. A spokeswoman for the Kardashian family also had no immediate comment.

During the 2016 campaign, Mr. Trump’s staff aimed to depress turnout among Black voters after determining that its own appeal to African-Americans was slim. His appeal to Black voters that year was, “What do you have to lose?”

A recent commercial by the Trump campaign demonstrates that this continues to be part of its strategy. The ad focuses on tough-on-crime legislation supported by Mr. Biden during his Senate career, claiming that “Joe Biden’s policies destroyed millions of Black lives,” while ads aimed at whites claim that Democrats are too soft on crime.

The strategy of depressing turnout among Black voters was a favorite of Roger Stone, Mr. Trump’s longtime political adviser, in 2016; Mr. Trump commuted Mr. Stone’s prison sentence last month after his conviction on seven felony charges stemming from the investigtion by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

Mr. Stone, who has maintained his innocence and who has vowed to help the president win re-election, has also previously focused on third-party national candidates, and he helped Gary Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico, as a Libertarian Party candidate in the 2012 race.

But he said he was not involved in whatever Mr. West was doing.

“I really like Kanye West — I like his Christianity, and I like his rejection of identity politics,” Mr. Stone said. But he added that it was “too late to launch either an independent or a third-party candidacy, because more than half the state deadlines have passed” and getting access in the remaining states would be “expensive and difficult.”

Mr. Stone added that if Mr. West’s efforts were “intended to draw Black votes from Joe Biden, Joe Biden’s own role in the 1994 crime bill,” a hard-line measure, would do that.

A number of Democrats reacted with disgust to the news of Republican involvement in Mr. West’s campaign. “What a disgusting dirty trick that shows no respect for voters or whatever Kanye is going through,” tweeted Benjamin J. Rhodes, who was a top national security aide to President Barack Obama.

• Thank You 3

An interesting read: "Trump’s bag of tricks comes up empty against Biden"

Spoiler

On a Saturday in late July, Rudy Giuliani was having lunch with Donald Trump at the president’s golf course in Virginia. Both men were in unusually good spirits. Giuliani, the president’s sometime lawyer who is representing Trump in negotiations over the presidential debates, was happy again to have regular face time with the president after months of coronavirus-related isolation.

Trump, who has been glum about the still-raging pandemic that has killed nearly 160,000 Americans, the subsequent economic collapse, polling that suggests he’s headed for defeat in the fall and his inability to arrest the slide, was buoyed by a good round on the links. “He did very well at golf,” Giuliani said in a lengthy interview with POLITICO over the weekend. “So that might have been why he was in a good mood.”

Naturally the conversation turned to the general election and how Trump might turn things around. Republicans have been bombarding Trump with advice, arguing that his insistence on stoking the same divisive issues — white resentment of minorities, the culture wars and “LAW & ORDER” — which worked so well for him in 2016, now appeals to only the Trump die-hards and have turned off a broad majority of the country.

“It used to be that he would do five rallies a day and say whatever came off the top of his head and he thinks that won him the election,” said a senior GOP congressional aide, echoing the sentiments of a still-intact class of Republicans appalled by Trump and how he is turning vast swaths of Republican-leaning suburbs into Democratic territory. “It’s like when a 25-year old gets drunk and shows up at a family engagement. That can be cute. But if you’re a 50-year-old and you show up at the gathering drunk and embarrassing, that just hits a little differently. It’s not cute anymore.”

But Giuliani suggested that Trump doesn't see things that way. “It's worked before for him,” he said. “He believes it’s going to work again.”

Still, Giuliani had some of his own advice. “If I were running the campaign, I would do a commercial with the people in St. Louis who had to guard their homes with guns. That’s a suburb!” (The couple, Mark and Patricia McCloskey, was recently charged in St. Louis with the unlawful use of a weapon, but the state’s attorney general has defended them.)

Giuliani also recommended that Trump allies begin arguing that Biden is mentally ill. “I have a good friend who has early stage Alzheimer’s and they could be twins,” he said. When a POLITICO reporter pointed out that some people have argued that Trump is mentally ill, Giuliani rebuffed the idea. “Nobody thinks Trump has a mental issue,” he said. “They attack him for his personality and his emotions.”

He added, “I've known Trump for 30 years. There's no comparison between the two people in terms of being able to finish a sentence, being aware of where they are, and being able to go through five sentences that stick together. Trump is very sharp, actually, and very very intelligent. Much more than people think.”

Newt Gingrich sees things a little differently. Gingrich, who lives in Rome, where his wife, Callista, serves as Trump’s ambassador to the Holy See, said he has been rereading campaign books from the 1960s and ‘70s and is convinced Trump can reverse his fortunes. Trump, in his view, is still using Richard Nixon’s strategy of 1968, when he was an outsider, but he needed to adopt Nixon’s strategy of 1972, when he was the incumbent president running for reelection. It’s not a great analogy because Nixon benefited from a good economy. But the gist is for Trump to stop emphasizing that the country is in chaos. (Why would voters reelect the person presiding over chaos?)

Gingrich recently fired off a memo — he writes a lot of memos — to Trump officials arguing that the Trump of February doesn’t work in July, given the catastrophically changed circumstances. “I think it took several months to realize that all the tools that worked brilliantly for four years were not in tune with where the country was,” Gingrich said.

That analogy seems apt. Trump, according to 15 Republicans interviewed over the past week, is troubled that his usual arsenal seems to be having no effect. A president who thrives on polarizing conflict and identifying unpopular enemies has been thwarted, and Trump’s untamed political instincts, once treated by so many fellow Republicans with an almost mystical reverence, appear increasingly unlikely to stave off defeat in November.

“The enemy here isn’t something that punches back via Twitter,” said a former senior White House official. “You need an enemy and Covid’s not cooperating, Biden’s not cooperating.”

“What do you mean by strategy?” said a person close to the president when asked about Trump’s recent conduct. “I don’t think Donald Trump wakes up and says, ‘Here’s my strategy. Let me tweet out something.’ I don’t think there’s a political strategy there. He believes the way he interacts and communicates is what got him elected and he’s going to continue to do that.”

The senior congressional Republican argued that Trump is unable to mount a comeback because his favorite political weapon has little relevance in a health crisis.

“It’s a magic trick that doesn’t fit the moment,” he said.

Even one of Washington’s most popular magicians agreed.

The Great Zucchini is known as a genius when it comes to connecting with and entertaining small children. But he has a very narrow range of people to whom his tricks appeal: kids 3 to 7. He knows what it’s like when a trick he’s been performing no longer works. Recently a parent insisted that The Great Zucchini come perform for his 8-year-old, who had the magician at every birthday party for the past five years.

None of the tricks worked anymore. “I was struggling to get a laugh,” said the magician, whose real name is Eric Knaus. “I bombed. It was crickets. These kids had outgrown the show.”

Republicans fall along a spectrum of opinion about Trump’s current predicament from cult-like optimists akin to Giuliani who barely acknowledge any problems, to realists like Gingrich who see the obvious but believe Trump can adjust, to hardened skeptics like the GOP congressional aide who believe Trump is the political equivalent of the Great Zucchini performing at a sweet 16.

The question of Trump’s descent raises the question of whose fault it is. Some political operations can be turned around by a change in staff. In March, former Rep. Mark Meadows became the president’s chief of staff and has slowly reconfigured the president’s White House team. The Meadows era has coincided with the president’s steep decline, a fact that some Trump aides are quick to note.

“I don’t think his newest team is serving him well,” said a White House official. “In fact it’s worse than ever. They came in thinking they know best, and they’ve not bothered to understand the president or West Wing.”

This person suggested the Meadows team is shielding Trump from how dire his situation is. “I don’t know if they’re giving him the whole picture,” the official said. “It’s very much Kool-Aid drinkers and he doesn’t want that. He never has.”

In early May, Brad Parscale, then Trump’s campaign manager, bragged that he had spent three years building a “Death Star” and “n a few days we start pressing FIRE for the first time.” It was an unfortunate turn of phrase as Trump actually fired Parscale two months later and replaced him with his deputy Bill Stepien. Like the Meadows regime, the unveiling of the Death Star also coincided with Biden’s steady rise in the polls.

The idea that presidential or campaign personnel are the key to a politician’s fortunes is powerful in the media and among operatives competing for power. But it’s almost always exaggerated as a source of a candidate’s success or failure. (Biden won the Democratic nomination despite having an organization that he believed was so broken that he replaced his campaign manager after the victory.)

The more common view among smart Republicans is that it’s absurd to think that Trump’s problems could be solved by a new chief of staff or campaign manager. This view is expressed by Republicans with wildly different views of Trump.

Gingrich, for example, made the point politely, saying he “always thought it was very likely” that Parscale would be replaced, that he built a great machine to amplify the campaign message, but that Trump’s problem now is “what” to say, not “how” to say it. “The how part Brad solved.”

On the other side of the spectrum, Stuart Stevens, a longtime GOP ad-maker and former adviser to Mitt Romney, argued not only is the issue not about staff, but it is no longer just about Trump. It’s about the entire Republican Party.

“He is running as George Wallace and the Republican Party has accepted that,” said Stevens, the author of “It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump,” a book out on Tuesday. “He tweets about keeping Black people out of the suburbs. I didn’t want to believe this about the party. I went through a period where I said he hijacked the party.” Instead, he concluded the party “had become comfortable as a white grievance party playing on racial tensions.”

Somewhere between Gingrich and Stevens was one prominent conservative broadly in line with Trump’s views who also scoffed at the idea that Trump’s problem is about staff.

The core problem, according to this person, is that Trump “doesn’t have control.” He doesn’t have control over the pandemic. He doesn’t have control over the economy. He doesn’t have control over cities experiencing unrest. Trump’s supporters refuse to admit this, according to this view, because it exposes him as incompetent. And his fiercest critics don’t always acknowledge it because it suggests he’s not as scary and authoritarian as they insist he is.

“He’s weak, passive and ruled by his insecurities,” he said. “We have all fallen for the oldest ruse in the book: The more insecure the person is, the more narcissistic he is.”

Anyone who goes as far in politics as quickly as Trump did would be reluctant to abandon the bag of tricks that seemed to work so well, even when it’s obvious that circumstances have changed radically.

In her new book, “Too Much and Never Enough,” Mary Trump, the president’s niece and a trained psychologist, offers a vivid psychological portrait of her uncle informed by a nuanced study of their family dynamics. Asked how she thought Trump might be processing the sudden limits of his once formidable political powers, she said, “He's not processing any of it.”

She added, “He’s deflecting, he’s projecting, he’s denying. And I think one of his favorite things to do in such circumstances is to blame and distract. So, you know, it’s everybody else’s fault and everything needs to be called into question and delegitimized so that he doesn’t actually stop winning, you know what I mean? So it’s not that he's going to lose the election, it’s that he’s not going to be able to be allowed to win it.”

George Conway, who also favors more psychological explanations for Trump’s behavior, argued that Trump is not capable of the kind of changes that his fellow Republicans (cluelessly, in his view) promote. “He doesn’t know how to make a subtle argument,” said Conway, a Biden supporter and vociferous anti-Trump conservative whose wife, Kellyanne Conway, is one of Trump’s closest advisers. “He doesn’t know how to make an emotional appeal that’s inspiring, as opposed to based in hatred and anger, and he doesn’t know or care about policy.”

Conway also argued that Trump’s victory in 2016 was the result of a late-campaign adjustment engineered by Kellyanne that sanded off some of Trump’s rough edges and eased up on fire-and-fury appeals to the base. “He won in spite of himself,” Conway said. “He read from a teleprompter and moderated his message. Now he thinks he did it all himself because of his malignant narcissism.”

Conway’s withering views about Trump are well known, but what’s more surprising is how many Trump supporters are starting to echo some of his views.

Dan Eberhart, a pro-Trump donor who recently gave $100,000 to the Trump Victory, the main fundraising committee funding the president’s reelection, was candid about the limits of Trumpism in 2020.

“The usual bag of tricks did not work in the 2018 midterms, and Trump needs to not forget that,” he said.

He said there is “a complete rethink” among Republicans about the campaign strategy that is “absolutely needed and hopefully in the nick of time.”

Trump’s misunderstanding of what got him elected in 2016 is at the heart of the problem, Eberhart argued.

“Trump’s general ability to just feed the base three times over and that will carry you to victory is not really a recipe for success,” he said. “The base is high 30s and that won Trump the primary but he largely won the general election because Hillary was so unpopular. And Biden’s negatives are not as high as Hillary’s so there’s a big problem.”

Not only is Biden an elusive target but there are other problems as well. Eberhart rattled them off: Trump no longer had a financial edge over Biden; voters who want Trump out are more enthusiastic than Trump supporters, and the strategy by some Republicans to assume that the polls were wrong in 2016 and will be wrong this year is “doomed to fail." And that’s all before the obvious impact of the pandemic and the recession.

“His confidence is clearly shaken,” Eberhart said.

He added, “As a Trump donor and Trump supporter, I would hope that he’s paying attention to the soft center and how to get persuadables over to his side rather than just stoking the fires,” he said. “I don’t think this kind of law-and-order culture war, like the Mount Rushmore speech — I don’t think that’s getting him 51 percent at all.”

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Marmion said:

Yeah, Palmer is a fucking... I don’t even have a good word, damn it. Australia is protected from him becoming Trump 2.0 by a) a Westminster system of parliament, b) compulsory voting and c) a generally left-of-the-US population. We have our anti-maskers and 5G conspiracy theorists and racist assholes of course, not to mention being responsible for bloody Rupert Murdoch, but we also like our public healthcare and lack of guns (most of us, anyway). Palmer got a bit of attention and spent millions in advertising but eventually won zero seats. Possibly because of the inevitable comparisons to Trump while we watched the US die like a canary in a coal mine. Anyway, reading the “politics” section on his Wikipedia page is a fun ride.

• Thank You 3

*looks at map, rubs eyes again* Are my eyes are broken?  I'm seeing Texas and Georgia in the toss-up category. :shock:

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

*looks at map, rubs eyes again* Are my eyes are broken?  I'm seeing Texas and Georgia in the toss-up category. :shock:

I'm concerned that Biden's choice for running-mate may skew that map substantially.  If his VP pick can't - through experience and personality - bring in swing and pissed-off Republican voters, and also convince the voting public that she can step in as President if need be, then who knows what might happen.

Sorry for the semi-negativity.  I'm worried.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I'm concerned that Biden's choice for running-mate may skew that map substantially.  If his VP pick can't - through experience and personality - bring in swing and pissed-off Republican voters, and also convince the voting public that she can step in as President if need be, then who knows what might happen.

Sorry for the semi-negativity.  I'm worried.

Me too, though not quite for the same reason. It’s not that I think a good VP will draw even more votes to Biden (though it might), it’s that I think there are a lot of not-Trump, nose-holding voters whose vote might disappear if the VP pick is a bad one. And disenfranchised progressives who won’t vote at all if he picks the most boring, centrist, borderline-republican option in the hopes that it will win some swing voters. He can’t be too polarising but he can’t be too safe either. It’s not an easy decision.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Smee said:

He can’t be too polarising but he can’t be too safe either. It’s not an easy decision.

Which is why it’s a good thing he’s taking his time to make that decision.

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

How to curtail the chances of your plot from succeeding.

The repugliklan attempts at cheating to win the elections are so transparent and silly that they backfire and only serve to drive up the votes for Biden.

• Upvote 2

I guess I just don't see the thought process.

Obviously Trump's devoted will be voting for Trump.

I see nothing in Kanye's "platform" that would sway a Democrat - even a centrist who thinks Biden would be too progressive (LOL).

A voter who doesn't like Trump or Biden would probably at least want someone with a solid plan, instead of someone who's own wife has spoken about his mental health. Also, I think we've had enough of people tweeting their grievances...

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

I guess I just don't see the thought process.

Obviously Trump's devoted will be voting for Trump.

I see nothing in Kanye's "platform" that would sway a Democrat - even a centrist who thinks Biden would be too progressive (LOL).

A voter who doesn't like Trump or Biden would probably at least want someone with a solid plan, instead of someone who's own wife has spoken about his mental health. Also, I think we've had enough of people tweeting their grievances...

I think their plan, such as it is, is to get as many Black people as possible to vote for Kanye. Which is dumb, because it’s likely he will only pull in the less informed people and celebrity-obsessed (of all races) who might not have voted at all otherwise. But Republicans, being the party of racists, don’t get that people of color are people. They think people of color aren’t as smart as white people. They’re wrong, of course, but they think Obama got elected due to his skin color, and hope that they can divide the vote by throwing in a black celebrity to get those votes. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I've been seeing a couple of tweets that insiders are saying it's going to be Susan Rice. 

What do you all think about her as Veep?

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I've been seeing a couple of tweets that insiders are saying it's going to be Susan Rice. 

What do you all think about her as Veep?

I worry that she has too much baggage for VP. The repugs are praying it's her and will revive Benghazi for the umpteenth time. Also, she's never actually held an elective office, so she's unproven electorally.  She also has significant investments that will invite unwelcome attention.

I do know that she and Biden are super close. Frankly, I think she'd be great in a cabinet position, but not as VP.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

This is why we can't get complacent.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think their plan, such as it is, is to get as many Black people as possible to vote for Kanye. Which is dumb, because it’s likely he will only pull in the less informed people and celebrity-obsessed (of all races) who might not have voted at all otherwise. But Republicans, being the party of racists, don’t get that people of color are people. They think people of color aren’t as smart as white people. They’re wrong, of course, but they think Obama got elected due to his skin color, and hope that they can divide the vote by throwing in a black celebrity to get those votes. 

I would have thought they would have tried to hide their racism better, but I guess I expected too much.

• Upvote 2

Bass’s political goals at the moment don’t seem to include an eventual run for president – and she says it never has. “You can look back in my life, and I think it’s pretty clear that I didn’t set out to run for president,’’ she said on NBC’s Meet the Press. “I have always been focused on work.”

Now that she is a top candidate for veep, her public vetting has been “a very interesting process; a trip down memory lane”, she joked. Her past work in Cuba has come under particular scrutiny.

In the 1970s, Bass worked for the Venceremos Brigade, a joint venture of Fidel Castro’s government and Students for a Democratic Society, the leftist, antiwar group in the US. Bass has said that she helped build housing and healthcare facilities with the group, to help the Cuban people. She’s also faced criticism for referring to Castro as “Comandante en Jefe” – a title that Cuban expats in the US denounce – when the dictator died in 2016, and for eulogizing Oneil Marion Cannon, a top member of the Communist Party USA as a “friend and mentor”.

Republicans have seized on an opportunity to paint Bass as a Castro supporter, and a communist, in particular to Cuban Americans in swing states like Florida. Bass argues her position on Cuba “is really no different than the position of the Obama administration”. She accompanied Obama in 2016 on his historic visit to the country. Bass has also stressed that she is not a communist, but said she appreciated Cannon’s work for his community in Los Angeles and his commitment to campaigning for Black and brown candidates.

Amid heightened scrutiny of her past, the Los Angeles Times also revealed that Bass has earned consulting fees from a community non-profit that she founded, and that her campaign had funded. Bass has maintained that her income and the campaign donations are unrelated, and the non-profit has corroborated her position.

Another concern for critics is Bass’s effusive speech at the 2010 opening of the Church of Scientology’s headquarters in LA, when she praised the group’s founder L Ron Hubbard. She told a crowd of 6,000, “your creed is a universal creed and one that speaks to all people everywhere”.

In a statement, Bass said she was looking for an “area of agreement” with the church, and in the decade since “published first-hand accounts in books, interviews and documentaries have exposed this group”. Scientology defectors have alleged intimidation, abuse and human trafficking. “Just so you all know, I proudly worship at First New Christian Fellowship Baptist Church in South LA,” Bass noted in her statement.

Huerta, who supported Kamala Harris in the presidential primaries but recently published an op-ed endorsing Bass for vice-president, said the discussions around the congresswoman’s past had created a “fantasma”, or ghost, “designed to frighten supporters”.

“It’s ridiculous,” she said “You have Donald Trump who praised the dictator in North Korea,” she said. When the president has failed to condemn, and even exalted leaders who have overseen humanitarian atrocities, Huerta said, “it’s silly” for Republicans to fixate on Bass’s record on Cuba.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/07/karen-bass-joe-biden-vp-california-congresswoman?  

Why does she think the repugs give a fuck?

• I Agree 5

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic