IGNORED

State of New York to Jim Bakker: Stop Hawking Snake Oil

Someone got in trouble in New York.  

Televangelist Jim Bakker and his much-touted “Silver Solution” are in hot water with New York Attorney General Letitia James, whose office senthim a cease and desist order telling him to quit “making misleading claims regarding the Silver Solution’s effectiveness.” Bakker was also ordered to add a disclaimer to the solution, Right Wing Watch reports.

The letter reads, in part:

“The 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCOV) poses serious consequences to public health, and consumers are concerned as to how they can best protect themselves and their families. Your show’s segment may mislead as to the effectiveness of the Silver Solution product in protecting against the current outbreak. The World Health Organization (“WHO”) has noted there is no specific medicine to prevent or treat this disease. Therefore any representation on the Jim Bakker Show that its Silver Solution products are effective at combatting and/or treating the 2019 novel coronavirus violates New York law.”

karma.jpg.5e114f2254a572439b6b9abec33b1e67.jpg

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

Kinda confused over here. I thought that if I gave my life savings to Jonathan Shuttleworth, I'd be completely protected from COVID-19:

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 2

This will save at least some of the stupid from itself.

I'll have to hunt up the reference, but I'm pretty sure he of the freakishly large neck, Alex Jones (his words, not mine) has also been touting silver as a cure for for Coronavirus as well.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

This will save at least some of the stupid from itself.
I'll have to hunt up the reference, but I'm pretty sure he of the freakishly large neck, Alex Jones (his words, not mine) has also been touting silver as a cure for for Coronavirus as well.

In that case I wonder if Alex will soon be getting a cease and desist letter too in the near future.

I don’t know that I could write a cease and desist to these idiots. Mine would be much more direct. As in stop being such fucking idiots and peddling your snake oil horseshit before someone winds up dying from taking your advise.
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 4

Good on New York State.  Hubs said this morning that Trump claims that it's OKAY to go to work sick with Corona virus because you'll get well, or something.

We're travelling and having breakfast in Denny's and sucking up their WiFi so a little garbled! 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Kinda confused over here. I thought that if I gave my life savings to Jonathan Shuttleworth, I'd be completely protected from COVID-19:

Says the guy drinking something from a mayonnaise jar....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

:( but then Jim Bakker would be unemployed.

I’m sure he’ll stumble upon another scam.  Once a grifter, always a grifter.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’m sure he’ll stumble upon another scam.  Once a grifter, always a grifter.

This is so true.  I remember when he was sent to jail for his first big grift.  Years later, I turn on the television and there he is again!  I don't understand how he still has followers when he's a proven con man.  Who buys those big tubs of freeze-dried survival foods anyway?  I suppose that he went right back to grifting just as soon as his parole ended.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Is this silver solution based on colloidal silver? Several people in a frugal living group on FB that I'm a member of have started recommending colloidal silver to prevent coronavirus.:pb_rollseyes:

I have to give props to Bakker, though. He never gives up. He just Never. Gives. Up. #onceagrifter 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, Xan said:

Who buys those big tubs of freeze-dried survival foods anyway?  I suppose that he went right back to grifting just as soon as his parole ended.

I recently saw a "review" of his survival foods by a person who decided to check them out.   He reported the stuff was terrible and he made every effort to improve on the stuff.  Still terrible.

I don't know how anyone can trust anything coming out of his mouth after being busted over PTL.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

This was posted on the “Bakker doom bucket” thread, but it never gets old(it was also my introduction to Rhett and Link):

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

This was posted on the “Bakker doom bucket” thread, but it never gets old(it was also my introduction to Rhett and Link):

Thank you for this!  We found some of this end times survival food when we were clearing out my mother-in-law's house.  We kept it, because you never know when the apocalypse may appear, but I am giving serious side eye to the stroganoff, lol!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Maybe everything tastes better t Jim Bakker when it's compared to prison food.

Also Rhett? or Link?  ( the guy with a beard) reminds me of Marcel Vigueron from the first season of Top Chef.  Sounds a bit like him, as well.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@JMarie, maybe it's covered with anointing oil.  I just hope it's not covered with mineral oil.   That's what was in a vial of oil that Oral Roberts sent out 40 years ago.  My mom had brought this home from the post office as it was in the undeliverable pile.  Not that my mom was into Oral Roberts or Reverend Ike.  I think she got a kick out of how ridiculous it all was.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Mom and I used to watch Ernest Angley for the shits-and-giggles factor.  When we heard his crusade was coming to Rochester, she said “Maybe we should take Grandma(who was in a wheelchair from polio)?”  We didn’t.  Mind you, this was before we knew it was all fake.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jim Bakker has had a stroke is taking a sabbatical from his show, but his wife assures us "he'll be back with a Word!".

Televangelist Jim Bakker Had a Stroke and Is on “Sabbatical” from His TV Show

Coincidence?  

The news comes just days after his legal team told a court that his show’s hawking of a false COVID-19 cure is merely an example of Bakker exercising his religious freedom, therefore any attempt to stop him is a form of Christian persecution.

• Thank You 3

• 1 month later...

Arkansas AG sues TV pastor over virus treatment claims

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas’ attorney general on Tuesday sued Missouri-based TV pastor Jim Bakker over his promotion of a product falsely touted as a cure for the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Attorney General Leslie Rutledge filed the lawsuit in Arkansas against Bakker and Morningside Church Productions, less than three months after the state of Missouri filed a similar lawsuit.

Rutledge’s lawsuit says 385 Arkansans made purchases from Bakker’s company totaling approximately $60,524 for colloidal silver, a product often sold on the internet as a dietary supplement.

“Jim Bakker has exploited Arkansas consumers by leveraging COVID-19 fears to sell over $60,000 worth of their products that do nothing to fight the virus,” Rutledge said in a statement released by her office. The Republican attorney general added that her case was about consumer fraud, not freedom of religion.

The liquid solution has often been falsely peddled as a miracle solution to boost the immune system and cure diseases.

The lawsuit’s defendants also include Sherrill Sellman, a guest on Bakker’s show who claimed in February the products were “proven by the government to have the ability to kill every pathogen it has ever been tested on.”

Federal regulators in March sent letters to Bakker and several other companies warning them stop selling soaps, sprays and other concoctions with false claims they could treat or cure the coronavirus.

Bakker has asked a judge to dismiss Missouri’s lawsuit against him. Former Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, who is representing Bakker, said the pastor never said the product treated or cured COVID-19. Nixon claimed Rutledge’s lawsuit was her response to the pastor seeking in court to prevent her from obtaining personal information of his congregation members as part of her investigation.

“Attorney General Rutledge’s filing today confirms that our action to prevent this type of retaliation was warranted,” Nixon said in a statement.

If he'd focused on shilling the doom pandemic buckets, he wouldn't be in this mess.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I wonder if the same is happening to Alex Jones. He also received a letter in relation to claims he's made about Covid-19 and colloidal silver. In toothpaste. Because of course. ?

The screen shot is of AJ's words that got him in trouble.

Spoiler

2042258324_ScreenShot2020-06-18at6_05_31pm.thumb.png.e936bae799c8f4bf42dda20f3e9d6dbc.png

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/alex-jones-telling-his-viewers-toothpaste-he-sells-kills-coronavirus

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3