IGNORED

Autistic Boy Denied First Communion

Marmion

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nonverbal-autistic-boy-denied-communion-214423760.html  Here is more information on the topic of autistic children in the Roman Catholic Church , as it pertains to elligability to partake of the sacrament of Eucharist . https://simplycatholic.net/2008/04/24/can-my-autistic-child-receive-communion/ 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

That mom has got it right:

This is a disgrace to our religion.

As the grandmother of a sweet little boy on the spectrum, FUCK THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

• 1 month later...

When we were talking about first communion in the Rod threads, I read how St Thomas Aquinas said back in the Middle Ages how the vast majority of developmentally disabled children should be able to receive the Eucharist.  If St Thomas could realize that all those centuries ago, why in the hell can't a priest recognize that this child being autistic should be no barrier to him receiving the Eucharist?

• Love 3

• 1 month later...

We have an autistic girl in our confirmation class right now. She had her first communion and will be confirmed in a year. Our archdiocese provides materials and support for teaching special needs kids in religious education. Until 6th grade, our girl had one on one teaching at church as it was difficult for her to interact in a full classroom. This was at the request of her parents with the advice of her teachers at public school. By sixth grade, she was better prepared for interacting in a classroom. Her first communion prep was done one on one and she had the sacrament in second grade with other children her age.  She just finished seventh grade with us (the last month and a half via email and zoom meetings for everyone) and we'll have her in 8th as well. 

There are currently three other kids in our program with special needs, all receiving the sacraments on schedule and benefiting from the special needs support from our archdiocese's parish education department. This was one parish making a poor decision and does not represent the Catholic church as a whole. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

@louisa05, having three special needs grandchildren, including a grandson on the autism spectrum, it's good to hear  that your diocese is taking care of these children.  "Whatever you do to the least of these, you do it unto me"  ""Let the little children come unto me"

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, PennySycamore said:

When we were talking about first communion in the Rod threads, I read how St Thomas Aquinas said back in the Middle Ages how the vast majority of developmentally disabled children should be able to receive the Eucharist.  If St Thomas could realize that all those centuries ago, why in the hell can't a priest recognize that this child being autistic should be no barrier to him receiving the Eucharist?

This priest is wrong and is acting against church teachings. The child’s parents need to go to the bishop. Back in 2011 when I attend World Youth Day Madrid, there were special catechesis sessions for participants with developmental disabilities so that they could engage with the theme in a manner that was appropriate for their learning styles. Pope Benedict even visited homes for adults with developmental disabilities during his time in Spain. He was big on doctrine and he recognized that just because someone can’t verbalize their relationship with God/Christ doesn’t mean that they don’t have one. 
This particular priest needs to be moved out of parishes and work in a role where he is not responsible for the well-being of parishioners. Clearly, he missed a few classes on equality before God, inclusion, love and the many parts that make up Christ’s body. 
PennySycamore, your grandson’s neuro- diversity is a gift to the world and I hope his teachers never let him forget that. Neurotypical is not the « right » way to think, interact or process information. It is simply one way to do so.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3